Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sacred Stones still remains one of my favorites just because it gives you branching promotions for more control over your characters but it still has lots of personality, which the class swap DS games emphatically lack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Has there been a single archer worth using

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Shin, Rebecca, and Shinon are all p cool

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Volt Catfish posted:

Shinon is a monster. I guess Rolf can be with some babying and luck. But Shinon is top tier out of the gate. The Radiant archers were mostly good. Leo was... decent but he also had a unique bow that made him even better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cephas posted:

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, but I really enjoyed Awakening. The support system really made it feel like the characters cared about one another, and all of the parent-child dynamics were really sweet and made me gush. I was wondering if Fire Emblem as a whole has a similar sort of vibe as Awakening. It has a hopefulness and friendliness to its characters that I really appreciated.

Is there a particular game I should play next?
In release order, so starting with FE1 and going onwards.

Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light (NES): No supports. Also not worth playing.

Gaiden (NES): No supports. Also only worth playing if you're really interested in seeing the early stages of FE's development.

Mystery of the Emblem (SNES): No supports. Also not worth playing.

Genealogy of the Holy War (SNES): Has a really early implementation of the support system, as well as the only game besides Awakening to have a parent-child system. It's a little janky, and the maps are huge, but the core ideas are interesting and it's overall a fun game. However, I wouldn't recommend going straight to it from Awakening, especially since you pointed out the hopeful, friendly vibe of Awakening as something you liked. FE4 is the second darkest of the series, tone-wise, and while it's still very hopeful by the end, it takes a while to get there.

Thracia 776 (SNES): No supports. Also the hardest game in the series. Also probably the darkest of the series, since the entire game is Leif fighting losing battles and having to sacrifice people he cares about, barely making any headway the whole time.

Binding Blade (GBA): The first game with the support system you'd recognize from Awakening. Fairly challenging and the plot is... kinda rote. The supports are also a little bland and short, since it was their first try at them.

Blazing Sword (GBA): Released as just 'Fire Emblem' outside of Japan, as it's the first game to get an international release. The game most people here started with, and a pretty good leaping on point for the rest of the series. The story is fairly small in scale, and a lot of focus is put on the main characters. A little bit harder than Awakening, but not much, and the supports generally fit the tone you're looking for, though there's some darker elements.

Sacred Stones (GBA): The one game I can call definitively easier than Awakening. It's another game that a lot of newcomers started with. The supports are good and charming, better than Blazing Sword's, but the downside is that it has the smallest cast in the series and is also about ten chapters shorter than most other FE games. Has a world map like Awakening.

Path of Radiance (Gamecube): Probably my favorite game in the series, and also generally fits the tone you're looking for, though there's a bit more focus on people with Issues. Like 75% of the cast has some sort of baggage. There's also a fantasy racism subplot, but it isn't handled terribly for the most part. There's also less supports than most other games - most characters only have 3-4, and one character only has 1 support partner. Stars Ike, who you might know from Smash Brothers.

Radiant Dawn (Wii): The direct sequel to Path of Radiance, and assumes you've played it. Would not recommend starting with it due to this. Especially since Radiant Dawn has the most frontloaded difficulty in the series. Also, supports exist in a mechanical sense, but the conversations don't.

Shadow Dragon (DS): A remake of the first game. Kind of bad. Also, no supports.

Heroes of Light and Darkness (DS): A remake of the third game, and the game that introduced the My Unit/Avatar concept to the series. It's a fun game and the fan translation is excellent, but it's still based on a game that came out 21 years ago. Also, supports only exist in a really limited fashion, and the cast is too huge for its own good. I'd say it's worth playing, but only after most everything else.

Basically:

Start with: Blazing Sword if you want to start where most everyone started
Sacred Stones if you want something short and easy to whet your teeth with
Path of Radiance if you want what's probably the best game, gameplay-wise, of the bunch

Worth playing:
Genealogy of Holy War if you want to see the origins of the parent/child system
Thracia 776 if you want a game with a darker tone and a way more punishing difficulty curve
Radiant Dawn if you want a sequel to Path of Radiance. Because, well, it is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Igrene is okay. If you want someone to kill some wyverns, she can kill some wyverns.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Briggid and Faval have a holy weapon and FE4's system means you deploy everyone anyways. They aren't knocking anybody's socks off but at least using them doesn't actively hurt you like it does with goobers like Wolt.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I guess Igrene can also trash Narshen and Sigune (if you go to Ilia) with the Brave Bow.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

What was the name of the pink haired crybaby in Sacred Stones? I remember supporting her up with her jerk-rear end thief boyfriend and the two of them became unstoppable killing machines early on. She was a good archer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

What was the name of the pink haired crybaby in Sacred Stones? I remember supporting her up with her jerk-rear end thief boyfriend and the two of them became unstoppable killing machines early on. She was a good archer.
neimi

and the best person to support her with is amelia

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Neimi is such a chore to train as she never doubles anything or does much damage early, but this is Sacred Stones we're talking about so everyone can be good if you feel like making them good. I just grab Innes if I feel like one shotting flying enemies.

Shinon in FE10 is a deathgod of doom who starts powerful and ends powerful. Rolf is kind of redundant in that game but he can turn out overall better but there really is no point in training both. Leonardo is a loving joke and not even his weapon can overshadow how terrible he is the whole time you are training him.

FE9 there is some value in Rolf since he is the only archer you get for a long stretch of the game and can easily dispatch flying enemies if you throw him some kills on the map he joins. I do think Astrid is pretty amazing in FE9 since she starts at level 1 with paragon and the Knight's Ward which makes her gain stat ups every level like crazy and then on promotion you can give her axes which makes her an absolute murder machine, oh and she also has a horse in FE9 which makes her a good unit by default. Shinon joins kind of late and I never really used him because I used Astrid every playthrough.

FE7 I'm biased because I like the Wil/Dart/Rebecca support triangle for hilarious crit chances later in the game, but I think Rebecca is alright overall if she gets some early strength and speed levels and Wil can turn out good if he gets good levels in Lyn's story. It's just so easy to bench archers in FE7 if they don't start getting Strength and Speed. edit: oh, and Rath joins so late at such a low level in a bow only class I never really want to bother with him

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the best archer is ronan, i believe you'll find

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Cake Attack posted:

you mean scrolls make ronan the best archer

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

Tania is actually surprisingly usable. Better than the chumpier non-archers by a good margin at least.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Tania is actually surprisingly usable. Better than the chumpier non-archers by a good margin at least.

but can she tank magic like our man ronan can? i think not

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Thracia 776 changes people

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ronan's 55% Magic growth and 15% Strength growth is at least funny bad rather than the boring bad of most archers.

The best archers are in FE12, though. Mostly good units like Luke or Draug reclassed to Sniper or Horseman but Ryan is actually really good.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The bleakness of Thracia 776 comes less from the plot and more from how incompetent most of your units are.

Leif's promotion is probably the most spiteful moment in Fire Emblem history.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Funky Valentine posted:

Why? Does promoting him somehow manage to make him worse?

VVV :psyduck:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 21, 2015

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

That's 100% of his promotion gains.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Serenes claims his gains are +1 str, mag, skl, spd, and def, so I suspect something wonky is going on.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nah I accidently created a public misconception. Thracia only shows one stat increase at a time, if you look at the before and after he gets +1 to most stats

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
oh whoops

how could you.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

its funny cause I hear that his promotion gains are only +1 strength a lot. I wasn't trying to be misleading, I posted his before stats, a shot of stats going up and then his after stats.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If you played FE4, he promotes from a low powered to the most overpowered super class: Horse, all weapons at max or nearly max ranks, absurd stats. He's incredible.

So you play FE5, thinking if you can just get through this really tough game to his promotion (he gets some good weapons to help this out, at least) you'll be rewarded. Then he promotes...to Prince, a renamed version of his base lord class, which is so weak it actually counts as an unpromoted class.

So you're playing the hardest game in the franchise which throws completely broken super units or staves or spells at you and your lord basically doesn't promote, he just gets a story based reset on his level. All for the sake of narrative consistency, so he can be a low powered class in the previous game.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Apparently we the kind of people who read fire emblem LPs judge levels and promotions entirely by how many +1s they see at once.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

To be fair, I'm pretty sure every game released outside of Japan can and will show all of your promotion gains on screen at once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

The bleakness of Thracia 776 comes less from the plot and more from how incompetent most of your units are.

to be fair the plot is also pretty bleak. it's nothing but leif banging his head against a giant, evil wall he can't make any significant headway against because the whole game's basically just stalling for time until sety shows up and saves the day

meanwhile, all of leif's parental figures are dying/getting turned to stone/dying

i guess august doesn't die, but august says poo poo like 'cut their heads off and hang them from the gates' and 'the times call for a hero, so we will force you into the shape of one' so

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Who really cares if Lords are good at fighting if all they are going to do is full move/be rescued towards the seize point most turns. It's not like Thracia doesn't give you a poo poo load of powerful units to beat up on the terrible enemies. Dagda, Finn and Othin join in the first map and Asvel and Fergus aren't far off, not to mention some later joiners like Dean.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Noire, because she can class change out of archer pretty much immediately and has great class options.

Rebecca and Shinon are okay.

I've made the mistake of trying to use Rolf in PoR way too many times though, he's godawful and the only reason to use him is to get a bond support and higher stats for Radiant Dawn so he's actually usable. And even then... just no.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 21, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

Who really cares if Lords are good at fighting if all they are going to do is full move/be rescued towards the seize point most turns. It's not like Thracia doesn't give you a poo poo load of powerful units to beat up on the terrible enemies. Dagda, Finn and Othin join in the first map and Asvel and Fergus aren't far off, not to mention some later joiners like Dean.

Turning your main character into an anvil around your neck isn't fun. Just because they give you some good units does not make the bad character you have to use suck any less.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

most people don't play fe like that

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cake Attack posted:

Nah I accidently created a public misconception. Thracia only shows one stat increase at a time, if you look at the before and after he gets +1 to most stats
Don't care, this:

Wild Knight posted:

That's 100% of his promotion gains.
makes for a far better story, so that's how everyone should remember it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Rolf and Shinon are both disgustingly strong in Radiant Dawn and both should be used.

Astrid and Leonardo are both really bad though.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 22, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Radiant Dawn would be a lot better if they cut the forced deployment missions in half. Having almost double-digit members be non-playable for most of the game is a cruel joke.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wild Knight posted:

Apparently we the kind of people who read fire emblem LPs judge levels and promotions entirely by how many +1s they see at once.

I judge promotions by how awesome that triumphant music sounds.

Also the little PLINK PLINK PLINKs

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

Jamke is pretty great and underrated IMO. The whole "archers get one kill a turn without baiting mages/throwing weapon units" thing isn't as much of a disadvantage when like 2/3 of your units struggle to make kills on the player units between having poo poo stats or no Pursuit like Lewyn/Quan. Or die horribly on the enemy phase when exposed to extended abuse from Canto shenanigans. And Adept/Charge is a pretty absurd combo even without his Killer Bow.

As mentioned, Briggid/Faval are also pretty good, but Faval at least ends up being kinda superfluous since Gen 2 actually has good units and even mages get 100+% HP growths. But superfluous is better than outright bad since if you don't reset for deaths you still have a pretty solid unit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Radiant Dawn would be a lot better if they cut the forced deployment missions in half. Having almost double-digit members be non-playable for most of the game is a cruel joke.
to be fair the game has like 70 characters

but yeah unit availability in that game is a mess, even beyond the three armies idea.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
With 70 characters they still only have one dark magic user and he's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

to be fair the game has like 70 characters

but yeah unit availability in that game is a mess, even beyond the three armies idea.

It's not even really three armies it's 2 armies and then "The other dudes" I mean for fucks sake they put Tibarn in charge of the third one, I must have missed the part where he was plot relevant... actually I must have missed that part DURING his missions because it's all about Elincia and if he's alive, Pelleas. I guess they were trying to be symbolic because "One lead by a branded, one by a laguz, one by a beorc" But it just comes across as dumb. Elincia should have lead that army.

On the plus side, speculation is that FE14 is going to do what I suggested 10 do, which is bitching.