Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Can anyone give me recommendations for Bat-books to look into? I've pretty much never been a monthly reader, but I've gone through a lot of the big TPBs (Long Halloween/Dark Victory, Dark Knight Returns, Hush), and probably the most recent thing I read was the Morrison RIP and Return runs. I just read the Court of Owls run, which was pretty good (although I also didn't understand exactly why no one wanted to come to Batman's meeting. Surprise surprise, Batman isn't always forthcoming with information, guys. Is that news to you?)

Did you like Batman RIP? Right after that Morrison did 'Batman and Robin' starring Dick Grayson as Batman in Bruce's stead. That was the definite highlight of his Batman work, imo. It ran at the same time as Return of Bruce Wayne and lines up at the end.
(e: 'Batman and Robin' restarted in the New52 with a new author. I'm talking this one http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Robin-Vol-Reborn/dp/1401229875/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1419975697&sr=8-6&keywords=batman+and+robin)

Court of Owls is the first story from Scott Snyder's 'Batman' which is still going monthly, so you can keep up on that. I think it gets really great in the year long flashback origin arc that starts in collection #4.

Sorry Taters.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Phenotype posted:

Can anyone give me recommendations for Bat-books to look into? I've pretty much never been a monthly reader, but I've gone through a lot of the big TPBs (Long Halloween/Dark Victory, Dark Knight Returns, Hush), and probably the most recent thing I read was the Morrison RIP and Return runs. I just read the Court of Owls run, which was pretty good (although I also didn't understand exactly why no one wanted to come to Batman's meeting. Surprise surprise, Batman isn't always forthcoming with information, guys. Is that news to you?)

If you're looking for more of the classics, go read Year One and Killing Joke.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My favorite off the beaten path Batman stuff is The Man who Laughs, Batman and the Monster Men, and Batman and the Mad Monk. They're all modern day retellings of old Batman stories from the 1940s, they're all really good and fit really well in between Year One and Long Halloween.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wait, are there really going to be no DC books coming out for 2 months?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yes and no.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergence_%28comics%29

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It's a pretty engorged and lengthy event, but I'd also recommend No Man's Land. It was the first real comic event I was exposed to, and it does good job making Gotham feel flushed out and really explore all the little niches of Gotham and the Batfamily.

I haven't hated the Tomasi Batman and Robin stuff that much either. I haven't really read enough of Snyder's stuff, and I really need to, although I still can't get over how stupid that initial Joker redesign was. But I read bits of Skeleton Key and it seemed interesting, so I need to check out more of his stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phenotype posted:

- Black Mirror is Scott Snyder's first foray into Batman and still arguably his best.
- Gotham Central is about the cops in Gotham, with frequent cameos from the main Bat-family. It's not a Batman book but it's one of the best Gotham-related books ever.
- Legends of the Dark Knight was a series that ran (mostly) in the 1990s. It's (generally) a stand-alone series of 5-part stories that focus on Batman's early career, and has things like Gothic, Venom and Snow. It's the complete opposite of the big, sprawling, continuity-laden events like Knight* and No Man's Land.
- Batman - Black and White is a series of short out-of-continuity stories that let artists and writers who don't normally do Batman comics play around with the character. An interesting way to see a wide range of artists. Both this and the previous entry have been resurrected in the past few years.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Robin: Year One and Batgirl: Year One are also both very fun reads. They were just re-released in a single trade too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

- Gotham Central is about the cops in Gotham, with frequent cameos from the main Bat-family. It's not a Batman book but it's one of the best Gotham-related books ever.
- Batman - Black and White is a series of short out-of-continuity stories that let artists and writers who don't normally do Batman comics play around with the character. An interesting way to see a wide range of artists. Both this and the previous entry have been resurrected in the past few years.

I can't recommend the two of these enough. I'm also a fan of Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth but I seem to be in the minority on that one. There's another that people don't mention often called Batman: Venom that I think is really good as well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Every Batman fan should read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth at least once. Going in blind, only knowing it's a story where Batman goes to Arkham to stop Joker, let's you tumble down that rabbit hole with Batman. Wonderland turned to an asylum for the criminally insane.

Might just change the way you look at the likes of Joker and Two Face, and maybe Batman himself.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Black Mirror and Gotham Central are both better than RIP or any of the other Morrison batbooks - get yourself to them!

Also, when you say Batbooks, are you open to folks other than Batman? If so, the Bryan Q MIller run on Batgirl is vibrant, youthful fun. Stephanie is the Batgirl of that... 22 issues I think? Unfortunately it was right as they got ready to reboot so it ends sharply, and Barbara Gordon is the Batgirl of now.

How far back are you willing to go? If you're willing to ignore the current continuity, the past stuff has some really good long arcs. No Man's Land was a great situation in the Batbooks, when an earthquake essentially destroyed Gotham and both Bruce Wayne and Batman found themselves less useful than usual. There's a lot of crossing over, which can be a pain, but you get such a lovely cross-section of all the members of the batfam (pre that shithouse Damian).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Die Laughing posted:

Every Batman fan should read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth at least once. Going in blind, only knowing it's a story where Batman goes to Arkham to stop Joker, let's you tumble down that rabbit hole with Batman. Wonderland turned to an asylum for the criminally insane.

Might just change the way you look at the likes of Joker and Two Face, and maybe Batman himself.

I have that one and is unnecessarily grim for my tastes, the art is also hard to follow.

And checking my collection I realize that I only own Jason's related stories or elseworlds :v:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Can anyone give me recommendations for Bat-books to look into?
What kind of Batmanning About do you prefer: down-to-earth street level, or fightin' the universe with the JLA?

Was Taters posted:

If so, the Bryan Q MIller run on Batgirl is vibrant, youthful fun. Stephanie is the Batgirl of that... 22 issues I think? Unfortunately it was right as they got ready to reboot so it ends sharply
I just re-read the last issue the other day (it doesn't take long as it's mostly (heartbreaking) full-page spreads), and what a fantastic ending BQM pulled off under what had to be highly stupid conditions. One of the best bat-books, absolutely.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 31, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Die Laughing posted:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I have that one and is unnecessarily grim for my tastes, the art is also hard to follow.

And checking my collection I realize that I only own Jason's related stories or elseworlds :v:

Just so you're aware, the majority of the folks in this thread have been telling me to ignore Dark_Tzitzimine since I started posting in this thread six months ago. He's got some sort of raging bat boner for all things Jason Todd.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Arkham Asylum is grim and weird and I think Morrison kind of regrets it (other than how RICH AS gently caress it made him). A lot of folks really don't like it.

Oddly, I read it at the start of getting into comics and it was so weird I really did like it. Not sure how it would hold up under re-reads, especially given how much I don't like 75 percent of Morrison's DC output.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wonder if it's still one of the best selling DC graphic novels ever or whatever they always cite.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Personally I hatred Arkham as it seemed to be too much of a jarring clash of silly super heroics and "real life grimness". Batman himself came off really bad. This being said I didn't actually finish the comic. I got half way and decided it wasn't for me.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Was Taters posted:

Black Mirror and Gotham Central are both better than RIP or any of the other Morrison batbooks - get yourself to them!

I read the novelization of No Man's Land a while ago, figured it was too big and sprawling to bother hunting down all the comics. I might take a look at Gotham Central, though, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Older stuff is just fine, too. I read through Year Zero, too, but I'm not at all tied to the New 52. The next book I was looking at is a Lonely Place of Dying, actually.

redbackground posted:

What kind of Batmanning About do you prefer: down-to-earth street level, or fightin' the universe with the JLA?

Actually, I've never read much of his JLA adventures beyond Final Crisis, besides Tower of Babel (meh) and a 2 or 3 issue story where he chumps a bunch of aliens that took out the superpowered JLA. Anything stand out?

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 2, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Actually, I've never read much of his JLA adventures beyond Final Crisis, besides Tower of Babel (meh) and a 2 or 3 issue story where he chumps a bunch of aliens that took out the superpowered JLA. Anything stand out?
Shame you didn't like Babel, but whatever. I'm a big fan of Joe Kelly's run on JLA, where the main team is sucked into the ancient past, and an backup JLA is called into action headed by Nightwing. Waid's run just before that is also really solid, and hits some very important Batman/JLA relationship notes.

Cosmic Odyssey by Starlin/Mignola has a thrown-together group including Batman and Darkseid playing the most dangerous game of Scavenger Hunt ever. Bats has an incredibly awesome scene near the end with Orion, which I don't want to ruin ahead of time.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

redbackground posted:

Shame you didn't like Babel, but whatever. I'm a big fan of Joe Kelly's run on JLA, where the main team is sucked into the ancient past, and an backup JLA is called into action headed by Nightwing. Waid's run just before that is also really solid, and hits some very important Batman/JLA relationship notes.

I didn't dislike Tower of Babel, I just thought it fell a little short due to the ensemble nature of the JLA books. Cool story, cool premise, but the characterization felt incredibly rushed -- they had to show how ALL the League members felt about Batman's hidden plans, and there wasn't enough space in 3 comics for each of them to have an organic scene where they talked about it with Batman himself or a trusted friend, and so you just got an entire second half of the story where the greatest heroes in the world made little off-hand, snipey little comments at Batman, like it was grade school and the teacher was making them work in a group with someone they didn't like.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm reading the Batman Eternal Vol 1 and I think it's pretty good so far. Definitely cleared up a few questions I had about Batman (why cops were after Batman and why the Commish was in jail)

EDIT:

Wow Batman Eternal #11 was...interesting. I'm not sure how I felt about the art but it was a drat fine read.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 3, 2015

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

redbackground posted:

Obsidian Age is only part of Kelly's run on JLA, which was amazing especially after following the very strong Waid run. It will also make Plastic Man your favorite superhero.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm so happy :)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The real reason why Damian got superpowers: to prevent being killed off again!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

lotus circle posted:

The real reason why Damian got superpowers: to prevent being killed off again!

Jason had super powers but he did have a kryptonite too. That kryptonite - crowbars.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Just finished reading Batman and Robin 38. Damian being back immediately makes this book feel like a breath of fresh air. It also surprisingly works well as a one and done story, which is rare for Tomasi's style.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Now that Damian is break alive, Bruce was totally right to repeatedly lie to Damian's tutor about what happened to him.
Like for the year or two that he was dead it made Bruce look like a complete rear end in a top hat. But now that he's back, all those lies mean that Bruce doesn't have to do MORE lying to explain Damian's return.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I guess this is Batman related.

I just bought the poo poo out of this sweet custom Tim Drake OYL hoodie by Coyote Pop Clothing:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

The Question IRL posted:

Now that Damian is break alive, Bruce was totally right to repeatedly lie to Damian's tutor about what happened to him.
Like for the year or two that he was dead it made Bruce look like a complete rear end in a top hat. But now that he's back, all those lies mean that Bruce doesn't have to do MORE lying to explain Damian's return.

"Why does he look like he hasn't aged at all? Shouldn't he have hit puberty?"

"Uh... He got super powers."

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I guess this is Batman related.

I just bought the poo poo out of this sweet custom Tim Drake OYL hoodie by Coyote Pop Clothing:

They make a Spider-Gwen hoodie and it looks amazing, and it's sold in unisex, I don't even care because it looks so fantastic.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

"Why does he look like he hasn't aged at all? Shouldn't he have hit puberty?"

"Uh... He got super powers."

Has it actually been years since Damien died?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Senor Candle posted:

Has it actually been years since Damien died?
In continuity it's being said to be a year since Damian died. In real time it's been two years by this February.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

lotus circle posted:

In continuity it's being said to be a year since Damian died. In real time it's been two years by this February.

I guess I've only really been reading Batman and the past year has been a flashback so I wasn't aware that even that much time had past.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Flameingblack posted:

They make a Spider-Gwen hoodie and it looks amazing, and it's sold in unisex, I don't even care because it looks so fantastic.

I believe this run of sales ends Friday, so snap it up if you can.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

I believe this run of sales ends Friday, so snap it up if you can.

Where is it on sale?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

TheJoker138 posted:

Where is it on sale?

They have a store at http://www.etsy.com/shop/coyotepopclothing

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. Eternal got another neat artist on. They could've used some of that at the start.
David Lafuente.

And this is the one that finally catches up to the flash forward issue in 'Batman'

Speaking of 'Batman.'

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Calling it now that Batman: Endgame reveal and the Scarecrow toxin will somehow be related. Also holy poo poo Batman: Endgame is cranking out the crazy in both scary and good ways.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Endgame has been awesome. I'm really worried about Gotham for the first time in awhile. I also really liked the callback to Dr. Death (who was in Year Zero). It made Year Zero feel meaningful and not just an origin story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SalTheBard posted:

Endgame has been awesome. I'm really worried about Gotham for the first time in awhile. I also really liked the callback to Dr. Death (who was in Year Zero). It made Year Zero feel meaningful and not just an origin story.

Yeah the cliff hanger made you realize how much deep poo poo Gotham is in

• Locked thread