Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tippis posted:

Also, a 108–648 spread of outcomes seems to be very in keeping with the “balance” of the rest of the game.
36 dice gives you the mother of all bell curves, though. So it's actually LESS swingy than Talisman. Which is kind of hilarious, in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fungah! posted:

I'm actually the one who did that and I ended up punking out because it was late and, like a literal child, it would have gone past my bedtime. I'm still up for it if you get some time, BL

Well I look forward to Broken Loose admitting that there are good single-deck card games :v:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Waiting for some more input before I update to 1.02.

I have only read the rules, but from the looks of it I see no reason why combat needs more than one die roll to resolve and there aren't any decision points to be made between turns. Also, I can't see any reason you shouldn't use abilities and consumable items that affect combat as soon as they are available. Maybe I am missing some intricacies that only become apparent when you play it, but that's my initial feedback.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Fat Turkey posted:

Is the Tigris and Euphrates app good for learning the game. And playing on a 4 inch phone?

It should work fine on your phone, it's a tiny bit fiddly sometimes but you can zoom in. The AI teaches you how to beat the AI - there are strategies that it's weak to which you can exploit to win most game because you can know what they'll do and how it will react. I'm not sure if I've gotten better or worse at the game as a result of the app.

Tekopo posted:

Wait, no, they pretty much said 'eeeeeh why not buy both?', unless you watched something different than me.

They hid the only thing you need to know at 10:50ish - if you're not inclined to like this kind of game, it's Bullshit happening in a drift system.

Bubble-T posted:

The funniest thing about DoW is unless you're playing the co-op variant it's not actually a co-op. It's not a team game or a 1vX game either, it's a straight up free-for-all due to the secret objectives.

There's a thread on the BGG forums from a guy asking whether his group should be mad at him that he finished the Main Objective off because he'd completed his Secret Objective, while the other players hadn't. Nobody was a betrayer and yet according to the rules the game ends immediately and he's the only winner. Apparently the correct response to one person helping with the Main Objective is for everyone else to be suspicious that they've finished their Secret Objective and consider tanking the game for a bit until they can complete their own Secret Objective :psyduck:

Urgh

So I played Dead of Winter for the first time two days ago, and apart from me being an elistist shitlord to the person who bought it (saying "It's reviewing really well"), the game was.....okay, but massively flawed. Aside from stories like the one above, or that you can't trade like you can in almost every other game, or the other flaws.
The balance of taking risks, of worrying about exposure, using dice intelligently, there's good things in there. Then there's the weird dividing zombies at the compound into 6 areas for some reason.
The crossroads are horribly implemented - I found almost exclusively (in my small playthrough) that they were 'if you control this character, something happens. If not, nothing happens' - god it's boring. As it was described it sounded like you needed to try and work out one thing that would punish you, and try and hope you don't do it, and work around the bad stuff if you do.
It's got a lot of tight mechanics, which makes the loose unfair mechanics seems less fair, and the theme is so often distant - you occasionally read out a story, but mainly it's just wandering around for supplies for a while.

And whatever system is in place to not make you suddenly die when you roll bitten on the exposure dice, I never saw it. 1/12 chance of instant death is just plain stupid. Plus it's followed with an insulting offer of suicide to avoid a 1/3 chance you'll die to offer another person a 1/3 chance of dying. It's just simple maths to say 'i'll take the risk'.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

PotatoManJack posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a board game that's relatively easy to pick-up and play, along the lines of Talisman - I know that Talisman isn't a good game per se, but it's easy to play which is a big win for my wife / friends who like the whole idea they're going on and adventure without it being overly serious, and having enough randomness (in other words 'lack of skill') that make it so really anyone can win despite not necessarily making the correct decisions.

Basically, other than Scrabble or Cribbage, Talisman is the only game I've been able to convince my wife and friends to play, so I'm looking for something similar but new/different as I'm at the stage where I've memorised every card from Talisman.

Happy for it to either be a competitive or cooperative game, but it needs to be something that we can leave and come back to as we don't normally have long stretches to play.

Thanks!

What about Merchants of Venus? It's pretty much a roll and move game with some amount of strategy in choosing your routes. Also, it's competitive without having any direct PvP conflict which may help with varying levels of skill.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rexides posted:

I have only read the rules, but from the looks of it I see no reason why combat needs more than one die roll to resolve and there aren't any decision points to be made between turns. Also, I can't see any reason you shouldn't use abilities and consumable items that affect combat as soon as they are available. Maybe I am missing some intricacies that only become apparent when you play it, but that's my initial feedback.
The short version is that battles take multiple turns because it provides another axis to customize enemies on. If you look at the monster chart, you'll see that some of them are disproportionately powerful and/or hard to hit, but have a correspondingly-low HP. Alternatively, you get zombies and golems, who are the opposite, high HP enemies with a wear-them-down strategy so you can't always just alpha strike them. If I made monster combat only one turn, they'd be almost indistinguishable from Traps, just using a different stat.

Not to mention multi-turn combat (and being able to save your items) is important for Guardians to have the epic scale that they should.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

They announced they are making a new D&D game featuring the Temple of Elemental Evil that will be compatible with the old games.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/board-games/temple-elemental-evil

I've always wanted to try one of these fantasy swat team games but have stayed away so far. But I inherited the original ToEE module as a kid and that might be enough to push me over the edge on this one.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

They announced they are making a new D&D game featuring the Temple of Elemental Evil that will be compatible with the old games.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/board-games/temple-elemental-evil

I've always wanted to try one of these fantasy swat team games but have stayed away so far. But I inherited the original ToEE module as a kid and that might be enough to push me over the edge on this one.

The board games in the series are fun, but I don't feel that they are very thematic for the individual topics (I don't have Drizzt, but I have the other two).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

homullus posted:

The board games in the series are fun, but I don't feel that they are very thematic for the individual topics (I don't have Drizzt, but I have the other two).
I love the system for this game. It's a great game, and a pretty decent way to ease people into rolling dice to kill monsters. It does, however, have only a passing resemblance to the actual dungeon-crawler genre (because sticking around to explore every nook and cranny will quickly get you loving murdered). I wonder if they're going to address that at all.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

homullus posted:

If the new game was thematically in line with the Temple of Elemental Evil it would be a horrifying mess of anti-fun roll or die effects and gotcha traps.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've never played Descent or Talisman or any kind of game in that genre. What would be a good "dungeon crawler/fantasy SWAT" game? Those D&D ones?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Azran posted:

I've never played Descent or Talisman or any kind of game in that genre. What would be a good "dungeon crawler/fantasy SWAT" game? Those D&D ones?

Those or descent. Mage Knight if your group can handle it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mage Knight isn't even remotely anything like a dungeon crawler

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So loving disappointed. Bought Legendary Encounter Alien. After sorting through cards for like an hour I noticed a poo poo-ton of missing cards. None if the objective decks are complete, all the location cards are missing, etc.

Apparently I can't return it to my store, but I have to find out every missing card and get the publisher to send them to me. That would be fine if not for the fact that the game contains 600 cards.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Azran posted:

Maybe Mice and Mystics?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sistergodiva posted:

Apparently I can't return it to my store, but I have to find out every missing card and get the publisher to send them to me. That would be fine if not for the fact that the game contains 600 cards.

Have the publisher send you all the cards, and you'll send them back the ones you already have.

Edit: IMO Descent 2nd Edition is a pretty great dungeon crawler, only played one game but I liked it. I'm one of those rare birds that liked the original Descent as well.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
How's Eldritch Horror as a solo game? Alternatively, any good solo suggestions that aren't Mage Knight, LOTR LCG, Ghost Stories or Flash Point? Probably looking for something longer than FP but shorter than Mage Knight with a decent level of complexity and moving parts. Flash Point's too easy to nail down and Mage Knight's just a bit too hefty to play regularly.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Sistergodiva posted:

So loving disappointed. Bought Legendary Encounter Alien. After sorting through cards for like an hour I noticed a poo poo-ton of missing cards. None if the objective decks are complete, all the location cards are missing, etc.

Are you 100% sure? I was raging and about to send an angry email until I noticed that the cards are just labeled terribly. The game is awesome though.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I dunno if anything can be more Fantasy SWAT than the D&D games.

I would say that I actually find at least the Castle Ravenloft version pretty thematic, for what it's worth. It cuts to the essence of Dungeons and Dragons for me. You're in a tomb/crypt/sepulcher that you should absolutely not be in. Being in there is dangerous, you aren't exploring so much as surviving. Sure you're a hero and it feels great to power through several tiles, but you know you're on borrowed time as whatever built the dungeon is much older and scarier than you. The idea isn't to defeat and cleanse the dungeon so much as it is to find the objective and then get the hell out of there as quickly as possible.

I was playing it with my goonfriend and girlfriend and we had discovered the antagonist deep in the dungeon. I forget the exact rule now, but I believe that we were under the impression that every player got a chance to stand back up after being knocked out, only to find out that he had used up our one extra life. There were two gnarly gargoyles, the alchemist antagonist on the board, we were split up, and the exit was very far away. There was some very real tension there and the narrative of running out to escape as the alchemist fell at the last second felt very compelling.

That said, it's still dice combat. Good dice combat, but dice combat.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Azran posted:

I think both Descent and the D&D games are your best choices for "dungeon crawler", but they're not very similar. For one, the players are against the (rather ingenious, if repetitive) AI in D&D, and one player is against all others in Descent. For another, Descent has expansions, while the D&D games are simply compatible if you want to make your own adventures. You also don't "level" much in the D&D game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of which, what are some good board games (if any) that feature some sort of persistent "leveling up" through play that carries over into future games? I know the Shadowrun: Crossfire game is supposed to do that but opinions on it here have been mixed. Risk: Legacy makes permanent changes a defining feature and I guess some of the unlocks do augment the various factions but it's not quite the same thing.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kai Tave posted:

Speaking of which, what are some good board games (if any) that feature some sort of persistent "leveling up" through play that carries over into future games? I know the Shadowrun: Crossfire game is supposed to do that but opinions on it here have been mixed. Risk: Legacy makes permanent changes a defining feature and I guess some of the unlocks do augment the various factions but it's not quite the same thing.

Space Alert with the expansion has a level-up system that gives you better/different heroic actions if you survive.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Doesn't the Space Alert expansion do that?

(comedy option: Squad Leader)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I guess that's another reason for me to desperately want to play Space Alert, though I'm going to have to figure out the optimal way to do so at an FLGS gaming night.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

S.J. posted:

Mage Knight isn't even remotely anything like a dungeon crawler

It does fantasy the fantasy SWAT "wander around, murder stuff and get money/get paid" gameplay as well as any pure dungeon crawler out there and IMO the co-op mode's the best way to play the game. It's not a 1:1 thing but it definitely scratches a very similar itch

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Labyrinth of S'xsyde, Version 1.02!

I went ahead and changed the chest tables somewhat significantly, as well as a few other minor tweaks I'd been considering.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 21, 2015

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Mage Knight is a great game, but it's not a crawler. I bought it specifically because it was advertised as one and was disappointed (but loved it anyway because it's a great game). The static enemies just don't do it for me, and the fact that you have to fight them alone takes out a lot of the potential fun of a dungeon crawler.

The various progression mechanisms it has are great though, so if what you say you want is a "dungeon crawler" but what you actually want is to build a more efficient murder-engine than the guy sitting next to you then definitely get Mage Knight.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Kai Tave posted:

Descent and Star Wars: Imperial Assault both do this. There are some decent fan made rules for the D&D adventure games that add persistence to those games, as well.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

snuff posted:

Are you 100% sure? I was raging and about to send an angry email until I noticed that the cards are just labeled terribly. The game is awesome though.

Yeah, me and my heroic gf just checked them all off against a list. Every character deck was missing one of the cards they have 3 of, or one of each they have 5 of and their unique one. Not a single objective deck was complete. Seems like there is a pattern in which cards was missing.

Just mailed them the list. I hope this game is good when we finally get to play it, just disappointed that our gaming night ended up being is counting cards for 2 hours.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

It does fantasy the fantasy SWAT "wander around, murder stuff and get money/get paid" gameplay as well as any pure dungeon crawler out there and IMO the co-op mode's the best way to play the game. It's not a 1:1 thing but it definitely scratches a very similar itch

Mage Knight is wonderful in that you can call it almost anything and it's the best of that category. Best deckbuilder? Mage Knight! Best Dungeon Crawler? Mage Knight! Best Co-Op game? Mage Knight! Best resource management game? MOTHERFUCKING MAGEKNIGHT

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kai Tave posted:

Pathfinder: The Card Game does this, though it's something you'd probably want to try out first before going heavy into.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Local Gaming Store Chat

So I recently moved across town and thus inherited a new local gaming store. In this case it is more gaming library than store. Imagine a game cafe, sans the cafe part. After having dinner w/ my family, we decided to go check it out since it was right across the street. The store is in a cute little historical artsy district of town and caters to both hardcore gamers and casuals off the street. The clientele seemed a bit stereotypical gamers so I dismissed the strong smell of stank the space had. But the longer I was there the more I thought this wasn't just normal gamer funk, this was something else. After touring the facility and having a short chat with the proprietor, I heard a weird sound coming from behind the counter. We look on the back wall and there are no fewer than 3 mother loving ferrets in cages behind the register.

Who thinks ferrets are a good thing for business with as thin of profit margins as a game library/store? Am I being a stuck up dude, or does the hivemind also find this practice unacceptable?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Sistergodiva posted:

Yeah, me and my heroic gf just checked them all off against a list. Every character deck was missing one of the cards they have 3 of, or one of each they have 5 of and their unique one. Not a single objective deck was complete. Seems like there is a pattern in which cards was missing.

BGG is full of people complaining about that; they really screwed up packaging that game.

Re: games with advancement across sessions, I think that's pretty common among things more in the wargaming mold. Like, improving the skills on pilots in Battletech, or buying stuff for your Necromunda or Mordheim gangs.

Speaking of that kind of crap, I've always wanted to run a game where you use two systems: one for battle, and another for individual farting around in-between, like combining a miniatures game and an RPG.

Like Battletech/Mechwarrior; Star Fleet Battles/Prime Directive; Car Wars/GURPS Autoduel; OGRE/GURPS OGRE; X-Wing/Age of Rebellion, etc. Then I think about how much effort and fudging would be involved to make it work and I realize that I'm just not that ambitious.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

djfooboo posted:

Who thinks ferrets are a good thing for business with as thin of profit margins as a game library/store? Am I being a stuck up dude, or does the hivemind also find this practice unacceptable?

When I hear about poo poo like this it makes me want to open a gaming store, because how could I gently caress up any harder than that?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Local Gaming Store Chat

So I recently moved across town and thus inherited a new local gaming store. In this case it is more gaming library than store. Imagine a game cafe, sans the cafe part. After having dinner w/ my family, we decided to go check it out since it was right across the street. The store is in a cute little historical artsy district of town and caters to both hardcore gamers and casuals off the street. The clientele seemed a bit stereotypical gamers so I dismissed the strong smell of stank the space had. But the longer I was there the more I thought this wasn't just normal gamer funk, this was something else. After touring the facility and having a short chat with the proprietor, I heard a weird sound coming from behind the counter. We look on the back wall and there are no fewer than 3 mother loving ferrets in cages behind the register.

Uh yeah keeping live animals in your store's pretty much a no-no

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gamers smell bad enough, why would you do that? Ugh

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Sistergodiva posted:

Man, US consumer law is hosed. In Australia, retailers are mandated to take the return and deal with the supplier as part of warranty law.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Fungah! posted:

There's a used bookstore I used to frequent where the owner allowed her cat to run around freely. I never minded that. Then again, cats don't smell like internet order sex hormone colognes, so I suppose it was a little different.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fungah! posted:

I thought it was weird enough that The Gathering Ground had a big friendly dog. Ferrets are just an odd choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

My local gaming store had a cat named Rusty. He was adorable and slept in the empty comic boxes. He got to be super fat from nerds feeding him slim jims and cheetos and died :( RIP Rusty

Here is the store, they made a really bad web series in there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esx6FzGsqfA