Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kidney Stone posted:

So, dilemma time for me.

My work has offered the employees a mobile phone for private (semi) private use. What we can chose between is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 or a iPhone 6 Plus.

My wife already got a Note 3, and I do like the size of it - as far as I can see, boththe phones offered from work are roughly the same size.

So, what should I chose?

They're both great phones. Pick whatever one will fit better within the ecosystem that you use. Use a lot of google services? Note. Have a predominately mac household? iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kidney Stone posted:

So, what should I chose?
Well do you like Android or iOS? Your options are basically the most prominent hugephones of each platform.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 21, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Kidney Stone posted:

So, dilemma time for me.

My work has offered the employees a mobile phone for private (semi) private use. What we can chose between is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 or a iPhone 6 Plus.

My wife already got a Note 3, and I do like the size of it - as far as I can see, boththe phones offered from work are roughly the same size.

So, what should I chose?

Do you have the option of not getting either? When your employer gives you a phone, it's basically saying "you're always on the clock".

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

RZA Encryption posted:

Do you have the option of not getting either? When your employer gives you a phone, it's basically saying "you're always on the clock".

Well, it's not like they're going to call me after 2:30 in the afternoon with a statistical problem ;)

My contract says, that I'm avaiable from 7 in the morning to 2:30 in the afternoon, Monday to Friday.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Well do you like Android or iOS? Your options are basically the most prominent hugephones of each platform.

I like both, but I'm using a MacBook Air at home, and LInux at work...

As it looks now, I'm leaning towards the iPhone.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

Congratulations, you've always had crappy jobs. My full time Linux system administration job provides me with a $100 stipend every month for a phone, and doesn't ever expect me to answer it on the weekend. In fact, my boss gets upset when customers contact us on the weekend, and even more upset when we respond, since we are setting a poor precedent.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Trusted locations on my Nexus 6 has been bullet proof. Maybe all you people having problems should define some places in google maps and then use them as your trusted locales.

Still POed about Tylt and them wanting my CC. On the one hand I would like my loving charger now so I should play ball but on the other it is some bullshit that they want what is functionally a faxed form with my data on it sent via an unverified email. And I imagine that "Jessica Carrillo" is probably getting slammed there with lots of other people complaining about the same.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Congratulations, you've always had crappy jobs. My full time Linux system administration job provides me with a $100 stipend every month for a phone, and doesn't ever expect me to answer it on the weekend. In fact, my boss gets upset when customers contact us on the weekend, and even more upset when we respond, since we are setting a poor precedent.

I'm one of four people in my company, so I'm always on the clock and I pay for my own phone! Just looking out for the little guy.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
It's pretty common for businesses to pay for their employee's phones if they are required to use them for any work-related purposes, regardless of whether they're on-call or not. As a matter of fact, one of my coworkers got in trouble for putting his work e-mail on his phone because they don't pay for his.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Even if you get working hardware I'd have a tough time saying you'll ever have consistently working software.
Who really knows if the issues that arise are software or hardware? I had a OPO that couldn't ever get a GPS lock and could not maintain an LTE even though my Moto G LTE had no problems. I'm still in the process of trying to return it, even though I asked for a return well within the return window.

At least it's good that PayPal hates sellers, right?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Allaniis posted:

Who really knows if the issues that arise are software or hardware?

Who says it isn't "and", haha

We know the software will be perpetually buggy and almost-there, as long as it's running CM. For hardware, it is entirely expected that a small OEM trying to use high end hardware while undercutting everyone else on price might end up with lots of quality control issues at the very least.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

LastInLine posted:

How long does flashing a factory image take? Maybe five minutes counting the download time?

I was drunk and frustrated with my phone when I typed that up. I have no prior experience working with the Android platform and had a lovely time trying to flash KK a month ago. Lots of problems with getting my laptop to recognize the phone. I actually did start to flash it, but then realized I hadn't unlocked the boot loader. I should just take a few minutes and get this phone running KK again. Thanks

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

AF posted:

I was drunk and frustrated with my phone when I typed that up. I have no prior experience working with the Android platform and had a lovely time trying to flash KK a month ago. Lots of problems with getting my laptop to recognize the phone. I actually did start to flash it, but then realized I hadn't unlocked the boot loader. I should just take a few minutes and get this phone running KK again. Thanks

Yeah I guess you would have to be inebriated to even consider buying a OPO.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

My Nexus 5 just broke and it's out of warranty so it's new phone time. If I have small skinny little fingers, what is the most comfortable of the "flagship" phones out there for me these days? The Nexus 5 was right at the upper limit of what I can use comfortably and I still really had to stretch my thumb sometimes when texting with one hand.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Rosalind posted:

My Nexus 5 just broke and it's out of warranty so it's new phone time. If I have small skinny little fingers, what is the most comfortable of the "flagship" phones out there for me these days? The Nexus 5 was right at the upper limit of what I can use comfortably and I still really had to stretch my thumb sometimes when texting with one hand.

Z3 Compact
Battery life is ridiculous. I'm getting 2-3 days out of it, I routinely killed my Nexus 4 in one day with the same usage. magnetic charger is neat. Camera is fantastic, and works great underwater.
Only downside is that it's a bit smaller than the Nexus 4 and... I guess the phone speaker could be louder? Flashlight isn't as bright as some phones? You've really got to stretch to find downsides, if you like the size.

iPhone 6: Similar size to your N5. It's an iPhone, with all that entails, good and bad.

Honorable Mention: Moto G. Seriously. Picked this up as a 'why not' since it was $25 off contract if you get it while opening a new Cricket account (as an aside, I'm liking cricket far better than AT&T, if only for the improved customer service). It's not as good as a Z3 compact. The camera is awful and it's a little chunky, but that seems to improve the ergonomics a bit. I simply cannot understand how this is 3 to 4 times less expensive than an S5 or similar flagship device. Even the buttons feel nice. No bloatware. Works flawlessly with 60GB of music. Somehow gets better cell reception than either the Z3 Compact or the Galaxy S5. Speakers are quite loud at max volume.

Does anyone have a recommended replacement battery brand? I'm giving my (tech-savvy) dad my old Nexus 4 and the battery just isn't what it used to be. It's more than 2 years old at this point, so I figure a decent battery replacement is in order before handing it off.

MarsellusWallace fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 22, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

RVProfootballer posted:

Who says it isn't "and", haha

We know the software will be perpetually buggy and almost-there, as long as it's running CM. For hardware, it is entirely expected that a small OEM trying to use high end hardware while undercutting everyone else on price might end up with lots of quality control issues at the very least.

I wouldn't say Oppo is a small company. In fact, they have a ton of experience undercutting competitors. The problem is that of the Chinese brands, they're the cheap one... You buy Huawei or ZTE if you're Chinese and want quality.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

MarsellusWallace posted:

Honorable Mention: Moto G. Seriously. Picked this up as a 'why not' since it was $25 off contract if you get it while opening a new Cricket account (as an aside, I'm liking cricket far better than AT&T, if only for the improved customer service). It's not as good as a Z3 compact. The camera is awful and it's a little chunky, but that seems to improve the ergonomics a bit. I simply cannot understand how this is 3 to 4 times less expensive than an S5 or similar flagship device. Even the buttons feel nice. No bloatware. Works flawlessly with 60GB of music. Somehow gets better cell reception than either the Z3 Compact or the Galaxy S5. Speakers are quite loud at max volume.
If Motorola would put 2 GB of RAM on the coming Moto G LTE (2015), then it would be the greatest value for a phone ever (if they made it $230). Sadly, they won't, but I can dream.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
awesome, my moto x got stuck in a loving boot loop trying to upgrade to android. And why is the only help seem to be unlock the bootloader and install a custom rom?

Is there anything I can do, or do I basically have to try to get into fastboot and do a factory reset before I roll the dice again?

And for the record the phone is still locked, not rooted, no custom roms. I'm done with that poo poo. I just wanted a nice simple android upgrade process...

Edit: http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2t8mrd/moto_x_2014_wind_ota_update_pushed_also_my_phone/

welp, guess I should have known better then to try something wild and crazy like installing an update. So it sounds like my options are unlock and gently caress around or sent it off to get warrentied.

Bonus Edit: drat thing won't stay powered off, so I have to watch it keep resetting until the battery dies.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 22, 2015

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Turnquiet posted:

Trusted locations on my Nexus 6 has been bullet proof. Maybe all you people having problems should define some places in google maps and then use them as your trusted locales.

Yeah this is what I did first and it didnt work there, that's when I tried to use a gps location

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

awesome, my moto x got stuck in a loving boot loop trying to upgrade to android. And why is the only help seem to be unlock the bootloader and install a custom rom?

Is there anything I can do, or do I basically have to try to get into fastboot and do a factory reset before I roll the dice again?

And for the record the phone is still locked, not rooted, no custom roms. I'm done with that poo poo. I just wanted a nice simple android upgrade process...

Edit: http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2t8mrd/moto_x_2014_wind_ota_update_pushed_also_my_phone/

welp, guess I should have known better then to try something wild and crazy like installing an update. So it sounds like my options are unlock and gently caress around or sent it off to get warrentied.
Is yours also on Wind?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

LastInLine posted:

Is yours also on Wind?

Sure is. So I guess i get to take it in and get Wind to reactivate my old sim card for my nexus 4.

At least when I was flashing my own roms if I hosed up at least it was my fault and I could fix it...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

Sure is. So I guess i get to take it in and get Wind to reactivate my old sim card for my nexus 4.

At least when I was flashing my own roms if I hosed up at least it was my fault and I could fix it...
Carriers gently caress everything up.

Related, anyone with a Nexus 6 on AT&T won't get updates with the rest of us. Why? Because gently caress you, that's why.

Finally you can have the Nexus experience you've always wanted with unremovable bloatware and delayed system updates, only on AT&T.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Venkmanologist posted:

I had a Nexus 5 with a cracked screen that Google replaced for free. Initially they sent me a refurb but that unit had a dead LCD so I sent it back and they sent me a brand new in box device.

Now I'm selling this replacement. Does this replacement still carry the 1-year warranty form Google? Is that only associated with my email since I was the one who bought it?

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Venkmanologist posted:

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?
I would have to assume it doesn't carry the warranty.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Has anyone heard anything about the Verizon 2014 Moto X getting the advanced calling update? I find it really bizarre that it got Lollipop already but still hasn't got advanced calling, while the Turbo is the other way around.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I ended up getting a Moto X. I custom made one on the website and then ordered it. I realized I wanted a case and I didn't like any of the options on Amazon so I contacted Motorola support this morning to see if I could add one to the order. The support guy said I couldn't add one to the order and then asked me which case I was interested in. I told him and he said he'd have one priority mailed to me for free. :confused:

So Motorola support gets a thumbs up from me.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Allaniis posted:

If Motorola would put 2 GB of RAM on the coming Moto G LTE (2015), then it would be the greatest value for a phone ever (if they made it $230). Sadly, they won't, but I can dream.

But you can get the Dev edition 2013 X for $200.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I have an original moto x and suddenly Google wallet won't work. I get a message that another app is blocking Google Wallet. I'm on Tmobile

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

Carriers gently caress everything up.

Related, anyone with a Nexus 6 on AT&T won't get updates with the rest of us. Why? Because gently caress you, that's why.

Finally you can have the Nexus experience you've always wanted with unremovable bloatware and delayed system updates, only on AT&T.

5.0.1 rolls out to my ATT phone with sim in without any problem. Out of the box I got it immediately, and I also just reflashed while removing the garbage ATT boot sound, and got it immediately on setup again.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You'd have to blow away your carrier partition to get rid of carrier customizations. That is a Rooted Thread matter, and also would probably lead to wiping your phone since big-time access to Nexus devices involves unlocking the bootloader, which wipes the phone as a security measure.

Your warranty will probably not be happy with this.

You may be limited to factory images rather than OTAs from then on. Fortunately you can do a factory re-image without any further wipes by changing three bytes in a shell script.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 22, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can flash to a google image and still get OTAs. I bought an HTC One M8 and flashed it to GPE and I receive OTAs just fine. Just make sure you leave the default bootloader on there. if you flash a custom bootloader and try to receive an OTA, it can break stuff. Though, that's for my phone, don't know about the Nexus.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Depends on how the OTA is formatted.

OTAs for upgrading from a Lollipop image, presumably on any Android device, expect parts of the filesystem that user credentials can't touch to be exactly as they were imaged (not even metadata changed; presumably NAND wear leveling is okay as long as it doesn't change things at the filesystem level*) or the update will abort before doing anything.

I guess if the update doesn't touch wherever they store carrier garbage it could work if it also doesn't check the carrier garbage.

*EDIT: This works because the solid-state memory controller lies to the OS about the block layout (Sure buddy, I can put that there, whatever *determines its own best fit*), or because the OS actually trusts the SSD to know what it's doing without dictating block positions (not common yet).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 22, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Finally getting the OTA 5.0 update on my Moto G 2014. Lol, Android/carriers suck at rolling these updates out.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I've had 5.0.1 for a few weeks now on my att 6.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Anyone getting weird charging rates on the Pops? My N5 has been showing some wacky times, like 4hrs remaining at 50%, not charging at all if I'm using it (at minimum brightness). Today it was at 85% left idle, said 1 hour remaining, I turned it off for 20 mins and it was at 100% when I turned it back on.

I'd understand if there were some app causing massive power drain while the phone's on but there isn't, idle drain is basically nothing and it's normal when I use it too. It just doesn't want to charge! There's a bunch of people seeing this too, some only on wired or wireless charging, only while the phone is on. Bizarre

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

teagone posted:

Finally getting the OTA 5.0 update on my Moto G 2014. Lol, Android/carriers suck at rolling these updates out.

Just 5.0? Because I just got the OTA on my Moto G 2014 too, but it was for 5.0.2.

Finisher1 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 22, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

teagone posted:

Don't accept it, it runs like poo poo. Still kinda cool though all the changes it made.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Finisher1 posted:

Just 5.0? Because I just got the OTA on my Moto G 2014 too, but it was for 5.0.2.

Yeah, just 5.0 update. I know people started getting the OTA back in November. I just got out of KK today.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My Nexus 5 has just offered me Lollipop 5.0.1 is that the safe one, or should I be waiting for 5.0.2 or something? I don't plan in rooting it, if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
There isn't a safe Lollipop yet, it's poo poo all the way up.