Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

BlitzBlast posted:

I bet he'll have perfected the autonomous backpack thing Sei tried to do with the Build mkII.

In other words he's going to pull a Seraphim. :v:

Well they did draw deliberate attention to the Lightning's Backpack so I assume it's something to do with that.

Speaking of Gimmicks what's the betting that whatever super mode the Try Burning has will be shown off against Isao?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I hope Nils and/or Caroline drop by at some point to say hello.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Ka0 posted:

I hope Nils and/or Caroline drop by at some point to say hello.

Maybe they're the new Chairmans of Gunpla.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm also enjoying posters now believing that the first 12 or so episodes of try were poo poo.

It's like the reverse 00!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Monaghan posted:

I'm also enjoying posters now believing that the first 12 or so episodes of try were poo poo.

Eh, only the regionals were a slog and that was like what 5 episodes total? Even then the last 2 episodes of that arc were ok at worst. The only dip after that was the start of the training camp and that was to set up the meijins smacking some sense into the cast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

My opinion has been pretty consistent, I think. v:shobon:v

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They weren't so much poo poo as just mediocre and way too meandering and drawn out with a lot of completely flat one shot characters. If they'd cut the fat and made the first half about half as long it would have been okay. It's not like what happened with 00 season 2 at all.

Also BF1 is a tough show to match.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

They weren't so much poo poo as just mediocre and way too meandering and drawn out with a lot of completely flat one shot characters. If they'd cut the fat and made the first half about half as long it would have been okay. It's not like what happened with 00 season 2 at all.

that's fair but it's just me commenting on some posters going how the meijins "saved" the show and that the writers for the first episodes must have been locked in a closet or something.

Gundam fans ( and fans in general) seem to just swerve from a show being lovely to great with no in between. This is why I brought up 00 since people always seem to claim how season 2 was utter crap.

I was just of the opinion that the first 12 were pretty good and I think some of the statements about the show's quality, or lack thereof, have been overblown

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 21, 2015

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chumbler posted:

I think this is the real issue. BF1 was so consistently good throughout its run that it reflects poorly on it's sequel. Try's beginning is by no means bad, but it's also merely good and that's a disappointment since BF1 was great throughout. If people didn't have Build Fighters to compare it to I think Try Fighters would have a lot more acclaim in this thread. I'm glad the show seems to have hits its stride, and here's hoping that this mini franchise can really keep on being great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

that's fair but it's just me commenting on some posters going how the meijins "saved" the show and that the writers for the first episodes must have been locked in a closet or something.

In this case it is actually what happened. The original BF's head scriptwriter came back. You can see it in the episode credits.

Monaghan posted:

Gundam fans ( and fans in general) seem to just swerve from a show being lovely to great with no in between.

Gundam shows swerve from a show being lovely to great or vice-versa. It is pretty frequent. A lot of Gundam shows have really really bad arcs or uncommonly good arcs.

Omnicrom posted:

Try's beginning is by no means bad,

I'm comfortable with saying it was bad, to be honest. It wasn't AGE bad or SEED bad anything but it wasn't good, and I think it's pretty telling that the second half of the show takes very little from the first half. It isn't unwatchably terrible or anything but it was a real step down from the first show.

The second half is shaping up real good though. :allears:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 21, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I actually went to the site and checked every single episode to see who was the writer and every single one of them had yosuke kuroda.

e-The rest of the head animators/directors are cyclical just like in the first part. There hasn't been a change of staff. Its far more likely that they decided to put more work into the second half because most of the positive feedback they had was during the second half of S1.

vvvv
Yeah, never bothered to post the might gaine cameo. Hopefully we actually get to see the rest of the mooks being faithful to their school/team namesakes :allears:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 21, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

As Cao Ni Ma said earlier, the schools participating in the nationals are references to other Sunrise shows.

So were today's opponents:

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
The problem I had is largely the fact that the episodes that would set the tone of the show (Tournament Arc) ultimately failed to build excitement, thus making them look pretty bad since the gunpla aspect should be the meat of the show, which they did a so so job of doing. The standalones were good but going in and seeing the Qualifiers be nothing but a whimper caused a lot of people to dread the nationals. Coupled with the lack of interesting character interaction made it a chore to watch.

I still had fun, but there was definitely something lacking. Sequels always set different expectations for viewers though, so a lot of it was caused by that

Yosuke fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 21, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I actually went to the site and checked every single episode to see who was the writer and every single one of them had yosuke kuroda.

e-The rest of the head animators/directors are cyclical just like in the first part. There hasn't been a change of staff. Its far more likely that they decided to put more work into the second half because most of the positive feedback they had was during the second half of S1.

vvvv
Yeah, never bothered to post the might gaine cameo. Hopefully we actually get to see the rest of the mooks being faithful to their school/team namesakes :allears:

Uh, Yousuke Kuroda didn't write every episode. He is the head writer. There is a difference. He is credited in every episode but credited for writing as of recent episodes.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The first two or three episodes were pretty strong in my opinion, but between G-Muse and the end of Regionals it didn't really light the same spark that S1 did. I mean, I still kinda enjoyed it because robots punching robots while the pilots screamed about stuff, but I wasn't pausing the video and rewinding because I was laughing so hard I missed something, which I did quite a bit in S1. Also Sudou was incredibly boring in pretty much every aspect and I really found it hard to give a crap about the fights involving him until Sekai set himself on fire.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Same.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AradoBalanga posted:

As Cao Ni Ma said earlier, the schools participating in the nationals are references to other Sunrise shows.

They got a guy who sounds like Nobuyuki Hiyama voicing the Might lookalike, too. :shobon:

TARDISman posted:

I really found it hard to give a crap about the fights involving [Sudou] until Sekai set himself on fire.

I just wanna say that this show is awesome for making this a thing we can just casually mention.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 21, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, Yousuke Kuroda didn't write every episode. He is the head writer. There is a difference. He is credited in every episode but credited for writing as of recent episodes.

Which would be weird, because the site never credits the main director on the episode pages, but they do for the writer?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Which would be weird, because the site never credits the main director on the episode pages, but they do for the writer?

He is in charge of series composition. That is usually credited to a single person but that person is not literally writing every episode. Scenario, Storyboard and Directors all handle individual episodes (which is also why a lot of shows have drastic shifts.)

Like, Tomino is credited as the head scriptwriter for G-Reco but he isn't writing every episode. (And there are even stories of him bitching at people about the scripting of their episodes.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 21, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Monaghan posted:

I was just of the opinion that the first 12 were pretty good and I think some of the statements about the show's quality, or lack thereof, have been overblown

Unless you've got a really low bar of quality (which would be totally fair because let's face it, Gundam shows on average are actually pretty bad), this is just straight up wrong. The first half of BFT was very much a bad show. Yuuma was a complete waste of a character, Fumina was barely better and was pretty much just a power up dispenser, and an inordinate amount of time was spent on Sekai, who is by far the blandest of the three. The rivals were barely developed and yet even then still more interesting to watch than the protagonists. The battle choreographers seemed utterly unable to handle the concept of a team battle; let's not forget that Sekai vs Shimon, the fight everybody loves, started off with Fumina and Yuuma getting chumped. The OST, while good, was almost completely wasted. The plot was as simple as a tournament arc and yet the writers somehow screwed that up by tossing all the rivals out of the way first thing. And most damning of all, there was little to no emphasis on the actual hobby.

Episodes 4 and 10 were by far the most well-accepted overall episodes of the entire first half, and you'll note that they stood out because they were the most like S1.

It's possible that they intended to have the first half be weaker than the second, but there's really no way to read the Meijin episodes as anything other than an aggressive writer hijack. At no point in previous episodes was there any setup to Meijin coming in and smacking everyone straight either, so there's not much of a case for "it was on purpose!" then "no see, they wanted to write a lovely first half just so they could have cooler characters come in and be cooler", which... is funny, but not particularly rational.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

He is in charge of series composition. That is usually credited to a single person but that person is not literally writing every episode. Scenario, Storyboard and Directors all handle individual episodes (which is also why a lot of shows have drastic shifts.)

Like, Tomino is credited as the head scriptwriter for G-Reco but he isn't writing every episode. (And there are even stories of him bitching at people about the scripting of their episodes.)

I just find it weird that literally the first thing you see in the credits on each episode is "Script- Yosuke Kuroda". Did he just not audit the screenplay on every episode in the first half? Did he write every episode in pt1 (or at the very least audit them)? What about all those comments before where people said he was saying that he was having trouble incorporating teamwork into the fights?

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 21, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I just find it weird that literally the first thing you see in the credits on each episode is "Script- Yosuke Kuroda". Did he just not audit the screenplay on every episode in the first half? Did he write every episode in pt1 (or at the very least audit them)? What about all those comments before where people said he was saying that he was having trouble incorporating teamwork into the fights?

No, he wasn't responsible for every episode of the first series either. I'm not trying to talk him up like he's a magic man who fixes all problems, just that he seems to have taken a more hands-on approach in the second half which does suggest that there was something going on with the writing staff that lead to the big change.

I don't think it was a writer revolt though or whatever. It just feels like they're responding to fan praise and fan complaints. They actually did this with BF1 too so this isn't new. I think it just means BF1 was a bit more on-track. I can't really complain though because I really enjoyed this episode and I'm excited for next week's, if just for the obvious reason. :allears:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 21, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Monaghan posted:

The first episodes were good, I don't care how you feel about the show.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

AradoBalanga posted:

Does this mean we will have an Escaflowne team.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

So far the recognizable cameos seem to be from Yuusha or Yuusha-like shows so I'd look more towards super robot stuff for cameos.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ka0 posted:

宮城  天山学園     天空のエスカフローネ?

Maybe?

linall
Feb 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'm comfortable with saying it was bad, to be honest. It wasn't AGE bad or SEED bad anything but it wasn't good, and I think it's pretty telling that the second half of the show takes very little from the first half. It isn't unwatchably terrible or anything but it was a real step down from the first show.

This is really the problem. If BF had started the way BFT had started, I would've never made it to this point in that series. It was only how good the last season was that kept me watching. I'm probably rather unique in that I could give a poo poo about the models. I watch the start of every Gundam show because I like giant robots, but I usually find the plotting so mediocre that I just can't be bothered to keep watching the show. See SEED/00/whatever the new series is called. Build Fighters was great because of how it took the same things that every Gundam show does, but set it in a non-serious situation. The first part of Try went back to being the same poo poo that the Gundam franchise always produces and was much worse for it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why do you have to justify something you watch for fun?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

宮城  天山学園     天空のエスカフローネ?

Maybe?

But the evil Jigen Haoh guy is with the Miyagi team. Dilandau instead of some random fill-in would be awesome.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Why do you have to justify something you watch for fun?

It's fun, to dig deep and think about why you like/don't like a thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Srice posted:

It's fun, to dig deep and think about why you like/don't like a thing.

If you would criticize a thing that you like then you clearly actually hate it and just want to complain. Not calling anyone out here, I've just been noticing a lot lately that there seems to be a growing attitude that you can't both like and criticize something, and criticizing something someone likes is taken as a personal insult.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 22, 2015

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's a really nice touch, but more than that, it looks even more like a hotel room now.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

chumbler posted:

If you would criticize a thing that you like then you clearly actually hate it and just want to complain. Not calling anyone out here, I've just been noticing a lot lately that there seems to be a growing attitude that you can't both like and criticize something, and criticizing something someone likes is taken as a personal insult.

Just looking for the "deep meaning" in a show about kids playing with plastic robots, sorry guys.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

"Deep meaning" now extends to thinking that something can be in-between "best thing ever" and "worst thing ever"? Boy, standards sure have fallen :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I noticed that too :allears:.

Srice posted:

"Deep meaning" now extends to thinking that something can be in-between "best thing ever" and "worst thing ever"? Boy, standards sure have fallen :v:

Sorry guys, we're not allowed to critique on a sliding scale anymore. Please press either of the two buttons assigned in front of you to denote BFT as BEST or WORST. Anything else will be considered rampant fanboyism and will be ignored.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

But the evil Jigen Haoh guy is with the Miyagi team. Dilandau instead of some random fill-in would be awesome.
Part of me wants Kei's team to be him, Not Bullet and Not Gintoki.

And yes, Sugita voices all three of them just for added comedy.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I get that some people like not thinking about their entertainment but I genuinely do not understand why you would want to read a thread in a discussion forum about a subject you don't like thinking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My general take is that the series has been somewhere in the middle up to this point, but it's starting to get back to where it was in season 1. The only episodes I really didn't care for too much were 5, 6 and 8, with 8 being the worst episode of the series so far. Everything else has ranged from "okay" to "AMEIJIN".

As for this episode, Yuuma and Fumina's friendly banter made me realize something - I love how the show makes it a point that they're just friends. No awkward childhood crush, no secret romantic feelings, and they're comfortable enough that they can tease each other about their respective romantic issues. Just a guy and a girl who have a hobby in common with each other.

• Locked thread