Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We started doing the grill and bake method lately. It works amazing.

Do you have a link or quick explanation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

We do that, but in reverse with beef ribs. Put beef ribs in a pot of bbq sauce/beer to tenderize it over night, then bake it for a couple hours on low, then bbq. The issue is, organic beef ribs..
[sperg] organic is what we raise, no I don't give a poo poo if I eat organic or not, but we get a higher price at market and it's cheaper to maintain since cows are built in lawnmowers [/sperg]... are tougher than normal and they have a little bit of a gamey taste since they're grass fed. So, that's the method that my wife's grandpa has perfected over the years and it's been passed down for a few decades.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Do you have a link or quick explanation?

http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-pan-seared-steak-stove-top-to-oven-method-354979

TLDR: Use a ribeye, treat it with respect (no stabbing, just tongs) and it comes out nice and juicy but with a delicious crust.

keykey posted:

We do that, but in reverse with beef ribs. Put beef ribs in a pot of bbq sauce/beer to tenderize it over night, then bake it for a couple hours on low, then bbq. The issue is, organic beef ribs..
Me likey.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

CommieGIR posted:

:psyduck: I think you just got a lemon. I've had the S4 for 2 years and now the S5. Anecdotal, I know, but 7 repairs? Should've demanded a new phone.

Not seven repairs, this was the fourth time it malfunctioned in the same way. (screen not waking up with the rest of the phone). One of the reason i switched to iphone was that my last phone (xperia Z1) also spent significant time in the shop, until i was told that the phone, advertised as waterproof... was moisture damaged. To its defense tho, i have a tendency to break my phones within a year or two. my last iphone met its demise when i forgot it in my pocket on my bunker gear and did a sweep in a fairly hot building. i had to cut it out of my jacket with a Xacto blade.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

keykey posted:

#54: Kitchen Gadgets - http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/05/54-kitchen-gadgets/

Sous vide is that to the next level of buying unnecessary poo poo just to say,"Yup, that's a pretty good steak."

good thing you can do it for free, with a beer cooler and hot water

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-pan-seared-steak-stove-top-to-oven-method-354979

TLDR: Use a ribeye, treat it with respect (no stabbing, just tongs) and it comes out nice and juicy but with a delicious crust.

I use a similar method I read about on the goons with spoons wiki: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Steak,_cooked_the_CORRECT_way!

Pretty much identical, except you sear it 45 seconds to a minute on each side, then put it in the oven for just 2-3 minutes on each side.

It never feels like enough cooking but if I'm patient and actually let it rest, it's perfect.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Goddamn I thought I might have ruined some tires. I was on my way back from class and the fucker in front of me brakes hard enough that I stood on my brakes to keep from hitting him. I don't have ABS on this car so I thought the tires probably got hosed on one spot, but I got home and checked and they are still round.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A quick burnout'd even them right back up again! :haw:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've spent about $7650 on gas over the last two and a half years of car ownership. Kinda depressing, really.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

keykey posted:

#54: Kitchen Gadgets - http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/05/54-kitchen-gadgets/

Sous vide is that to the next level of buying unnecessary poo poo just to say,"Yup, that's a pretty good steak."

I resent that link hahah.
Our Mixer gets used a ton, and we've used the waffle iron at least twice a month since we got it ;)
But both of us cook/bake a lot.
Its why I'm fat and out of shape.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KozmoNaut posted:

I've spent about $7650 on gas over the last two and a half years of car ownership. Kinda depressing, really.

I spent about $6300 on gas just getting to/from work in the first 8 months of 2014. :stonk:

Really enjoying gas being $2 or so instead of $3.7 or so, and ~25mpg instead of ~16mpg... has cut my fuel bill down to a third of what it was.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

HA! That's awesome. The first time I saw a sous vide machine I thought.. Couldn't you do the exact same thing with a turkey fryer/steamer and would only cost about $50? But that's an even easier way to do it.

edit:

Siochain posted:

I resent that link hahah.
Our Mixer gets used a ton, and we've used the waffle iron at least twice a month since we got it ;)
But both of us cook/bake a lot.
Its why I'm fat and out of shape.

Truth be told, we have that exact same mixer. My mom gave it to us about 10 years ago because she bought another one.. Because the one we now have didn't match the colors of her kitchen when my parents remodeled.. Whatever, it's a free mixer that we get some use out of usually during the holidays.

keykey fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 21, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah uh...

P38: $7500. (30,000 mi)
shitpile: $4400. (15,000 mi)
KLR: $120. (2,000 mi)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

I spent about $6300 on gas just getting to/from work in the first 8 months of 2014. :stonk:

Really enjoying gas being $2 or so instead of $3.7 or so, and ~25mpg instead of ~16mpg... has cut my fuel bill down to a third of what it was.

I paid $8500 for the car, it feels odd that I've soon spent more on gas than on the car.

I'm sure you crossed that particular line a long time ago :v:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If you figure someone in my family or myself have put 320,000 miles on our F150 @ 15MPG average, with a $2/gal average over 17 years... That's $42.6k in fuel...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

I paid $8500 for the car, it feels odd that I've soon spent more on gas than on the car.

I'm sure you crossed that particular line a long time ago :v:
I've had cars where filling the tank doubled the value of the thing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

I've had cars where filling the tank doubled the value of the thing.

roverownership.txt

Same goes for a yugo I owned...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the spyder posted:

If you figure someone in my family or myself have put 320,000 miles on our F150 @ 15MPG average, with a $2/gal average over 17 years... That's $42.6k in fuel...

Holy poo poo, that's a depressing calculation. I guess bought my '97 F150 twice before I sold it. And that's with $2/gal fuel.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Once I've put 4 times as much into the tank as I did into buying the car, I basically just stop caring how much it costs me in parts. gently caress I have run like 12 grand through the tank on the white POS MJ, at least.

If it costs me more in sanity and grey hair than it is worth IT IS OVER. Thus why I'm eagerly looking forward to wailing the gently caress out of the red XJ in the woods, stripping it bare of parts, driving over it with the 5 ton, and selling the twisted hulk for scrap. God I can't wait.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Are the last round (2005+) of Northstars in RWD Cadillacs (STS) any good?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is how I've always done it and if it doesn't pop off after a few good smacks it needs a different approach.

Exactly. I like those pinch type tools, where you've got two fingers to go between the ball joint and whatever it's pressed into and a single finger to press on the stud, and you tighten the bolt to close them together. The one I have has worked well, particularly with a little additional hammering on the thing it's in.

Motronic posted:

I've only had that fail a few times, and when it has it's been easily taken care of by putting on a ball joint seperator like this:

Just give it some pressure, not enough to destroy things and then go back to hammering as your said. Hasn't failed yet.

That's the one!

quote:

I've spent the last hour tonight as well as a bunch of time over the last week and a half trying to find my drat wheel spacers. Posted bitching about it then realized where they were. Love when that happens. Those will let me run the track wheels/tires from the E30. Now I need to find someone local with a fender roller I can borrow.

The Eastwood one is only $100 in their store on eBay.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jay-Zeus posted:

I am interested in this because I sort of want and STS-V with a manual, a thing I didn't even know existed until pretty recently. they're a supercharged Northstar!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

KozmoNaut posted:

Sitting at $4700 for 4 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a 40" tv I bought on Black Friday sitting here and I just realized I have no use for it so I'm returning it. I feel like I've failed at life.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I commute 90 miles a day. This past year with the Mini was about $3000, the previous years with the Jetta TDI was around $2300/year.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Beach Bum posted:

There is nothing quite like leaving work early to sit in my lounge chair on the front porch with a beer and a cigar. Granted the cigar is just Black and Mild woodtip but I didn't feel like driving to the cigar shop for something nicer.
Did similar. Left early (not really, got there an hour and a half early) then did a little work on the E21 and had a cigar. This nice weather means I'm going through a lot of cigars :clint:

KozmoNaut posted:

According to Fuelly I've tracked 13.5k miles in the TDI and spent $1,018 on fuel. Of course I've tracked the 928...577 miles, $155.

fjelltorsk posted:

my last iphone met its demise when i forgot it in my pocket on my bunker gear and did a sweep in a fairly hot building. i had to cut it out of my jacket with a Xacto blade.
That's impressive. Mine usually die from falling off things or getting crushed. Saw an electrician forget his was sitting on a transformer, powered it up...flash and no more phone.

kastein posted:

If it costs me more in sanity and grey hair than it is worth IT IS OVER. Thus why I'm eagerly looking forward to wailing the gently caress out of the red XJ in the woods, stripping it bare of parts, driving over it with the 5 ton, and selling the twisted hulk for scrap. God I can't wait.
Please take video or better yet have a bunch of us bring beer and watch.

Darchangel posted:

The Eastwood one is only $100 in their store on eBay.
Hmm not bad, if I can't find one to borrow locally I'll just buy one then rent it out to people. Have at least two cars that are going to need it in the next couple months.

Did some work on the damaged threads on the rear axles, ended up just grinding down the completely hosed and non-used threads. Threading die should be here tomorrow to clean everything up. Bit of a delay to putting things back together but I should have looked at the axles when I picked them up from the shop a month ago...they could have repaired or ordered new ones.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Jay-Zeus posted:

No. I'd have one of the STS-Vs, simply because it's a shitload of power for a car like that. However, I bought an '08 STS4 early last year. Low miles, highly-optioned. It was nice in some ways, but overall horrid. The motor was nicely strong, I have always liked Northstars for the power they make combined with the fuel economy they somehow pull out with big cars. However, with the longitudinal layout, it is much more common than not that the motor has a ticking sound that is obvious inside the cabin. The people in the STS forums seem to be fine with it, but it drove me batshit insane. That car was silent, except for a tick-tick-tick that was like a bad lifter, all the time.

The mag ride is pretty nice, but prone to failure and the shocks are about $600/corner part-only price. It's a GM car, so it's super easy to change, and there are non-mag shocks that you can use that cost pennies and a resistor mod makes the car ignore any change.

Overall, it was exactly the same as the '02 Deville I had in feel, quality, basic assembly type, just with a different engine layout and more toys. I liked the Deville better. Going one step further, the Deville was just like the '93 STS I had in feel, quality, basic assembly type... I really didn't see a lot of change from Cadillac from the early '90s though the mid '00s. I don't know how the cars are now, but they are great for what they are -- V8 cars with a lot of toys that have a depreciation curve like a ski slope. If you're okay with repairs, they aren't bad cars, but I would avoid the last of the STSs.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I have a 40" tv I bought on Black Friday sitting here and I just realized I have no use for it so I'm returning it. I feel like I've failed at life.

Well I'm really failing then. I have no use for a TV most of the time and I could get away with a 13 color if need be.

My gf on the other hand loves watching basket ball... She made the comment of when we buy a house she would really like a 50"+ TV. I looked at her and said why? She kinda just stared at me blankly then said... Your the only guy in the world that's not begging his wife/gf for a bigger TV.

I said I cant watch tv while welding. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well I'm really failing then. I have no use for a TV most of the time and I could get away with a 13 color if need be.

My gf on the other hand loves watching basket ball... She made the comment of when we buy a house she would really like a 50"+ TV. I looked at her and said why? She kinda just stared at me blankly then said... Your the only guy in the world that's not begging his wife/gf for a bigger TV.

I have a 70" in the living room, a 50" in the bedroom and a 32" in my office. I planned to move the 32" to the garage and put the 40" in here but we're moving in less than 90 days and the new setup means i won't need a tv in my office anymore.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rhyno posted:

No, you're winning at life. There are so many more integrating things you can do than watch TV.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You need a fancier helmet, man.

poo poo, I just wrote that out meaning "you should get a visor that auto-dims" but I just realized that since auto-darkening helmets probably already use LCDs, it wouldn't take much to play TV in your helmet when you're not welding.

It's like hiding a comic book inside your textbook, it's brilliant.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
PAGING VIGGEN

ATTENTION

VIGGEN TO THE BLUE AND CURSIVE COURTESY PHONE

YOU HAVE A MESSAGE WAITING

IT IS IN REGARDS TO

West SAAB Story posted:

Sounds good. I have the '96 4.0 pushrod. :downs:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 22, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KozmoNaut posted:

No, you're winning at life. There are so many more integrating things you can do than watch TV.

I just need to be able to play video games in every room.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Rhyno posted:

I just need to be able to play video games in every room.

That's why you get one of those fancy Nvidia tablets that lets you play games on your PC and stream it to the tablet or however it is they work.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cast iron pan, preheated in a 400 degree oven then slapped onto a burner on high. Take ~1" thick steak, rub with salt and your high-temp oil of choice. One minute on a side in the hot-rear end pan to sear, throw the whole thing in the oven and bake 2 minutes on a side to finish, let rest 5 minutes on a plate to finish cooking.

Medium rare.

Edit : Also, gently caress that article's kitchenaid hate. Those mixers are the poo poo, and anyone who wants to bitch about them can go hand wip meringue or do literally anything that requires you to whisk something while getting another part of the recipe ready. Like ganache. Or mousse.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 22, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

GODDAMMIT I just bought a Nexus 6 (which is awesome), but when I wiped my old phone, I forgot to transfer over my aCar records, and like a moron I didn't back them up either. loving gently caress gently caress

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Edit : Also, gently caress that article's kitchenaid hate. Those mixers are the poo poo, and anyone who wants to bitch about them can go hand wip meringue or do literally anything that requires you to whisk something while getting another part of the recipe ready. Like ganache. Or mousse.

They don't have any beef and when you try to do something like mix pretzel dough the little fiber gear inside burns out and then you have to tear it apart, crack open the gearbox and lube up R2D2's anus as you replace it while wondering if this is really how Americans view the world and if so finally understand why their society has collapsed.

gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeCiivPt7hk

The gear is this little yellow friend you have to replace in the middle of all this poo poo:

I did this twice. Don't mix up the screw lengths or it eats the casing and drops metal shavings into your food.

Or you could buy a more expensive KitchenAid, which I didn't know existed when I bought mine.

I bought a $20 handheld electric mixer from Canadian Tire while I was waiting for a new fiber gear and turns out it mixes the same pretzel dough just fine.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 22, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

PAGING VIGGEN

ATTENTION

VIGGEN TO THE BLUE AND CURSIVE COURTESY PHONE

YOU HAVE A MESSAGE WAITING

IT IS IN REGARDS TO

West SAAB Story posted:

Sounds good. I have the '96 4.0 pushrod. :downs:

SUCK MY DICK

SUCK MY DIIIIIIICK

I'M A FOOOOORD

SUCK MY DIIIICK

So far, no more lean code!

MrChips posted:

GODDAMMIT I just bought a Nexus 6 (which is awesome), but when I wiped my old phone, I forgot to transfer over my aCar records, and like a moron I didn't back them up either. loving gently caress gently caress

I use a cloud backup for this purpose. Worth the $10/year for many, many gigs of space to completely back up my mobile devices.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
This started as a post in the post horrible car poo poo thread but turned into a tangentially related rant

InitialDave posted:

You should see the aerospace "Well we drew it like that, and it may be both wrong, completely different to every other part ever made by us or others, and indeed not even correct for the application it is intended for, but God Dammit we're the design authority and gently caress you if you ask us to change it" class.

The way you get around this is buy vertically integrating as much as possible and turning out finished sub assemblies, then you get to more or less ignore a lot of that poo poo as long as it fits on the airplane in the end. Which is good because apparently they have floor assemblers with the authority to reject parts now, "just because". Like a dude shone a flashlight over a web we made and said, "this is more than 125 microinches roughness". We get the part back in the lab, throw the pocketsurf on it and can't find a spot higher than about 53 and the machining mismatch in the area was less than one thou.

The way Spirit/Boeing is lately is almost as bad in the opposite direction though. They get RFAs for stupid poo poo like material callouts or optional machining techniques and boom, that's a rev change, or a whole new part number, which means we have to submit a delta or entirely new FAI. The deltas aren't too bad when there's no change on our end, or even if there is since we just have to submit what changed, so mostly just a bit of extra paperwork. We had to generate 25 or 30 FAIs on these 10ft long crn extrusions because they upsized a couple of holes slightly and added one .229 hole that isn't even critical to the function of the part because it isn't masked for electrical bonding, it's ridiculous. Any extra paperwork is just more time we can't keep poo poo moving through the shop on schedule because of the way the shop is run. The entire production side of our business model is predicated on one simple axiom: "Inspection will catch it".

We have 3 full time inspectors for something like 140 employees on the machine side plus me and if I get 4 hours clocked into inspection it's a good day because I have a billion other things I have to do, the dude on 2nd shift who seems categorically incapable of making a decision about if a part is good or bad and thus leaves us a pile of poo poo we have to double check every morning and the useless buddy of the head of engineering who half asses everything he does inspect when he's not too busy angling to be the head of inspection, "programming" or messing with his drones. We've doubled the number of machines we've had in the last 2 years and added a second shift but added a grand total of 1 inspector's worth of hours a week. We have about a half dozen actual machinists, who are supervisors and over a hundred half trained operators, handformers and burr hands who oftentimes don't have the slightest clue what they're doing and don't speak good english half the time (this isn't a racist thing, I've seriously considered learning vietnamese or cambodian just so I could communicate properly with a bunch of my coworkers).

We wind up reworking so much poo poo inside the lab because the deburr sucks or the operator can't chamfer a bushing hole right, or cut the tabs that keep the part on the block straight, and when we aren't doing that we're telling the machinists how to alter their setups because they don't know how to fix their poo poo, re-sequencing and editing the job planning because our planning department can't be bother to read the red lined edits we make and are approved by engineering.

Despite all this, the biggest complaint that management has with us is that we're too picky and that's what is holding up all the parts. You know despite our award winning quality ratings or that all the compliments we get from Spirit project managers and inspectors that our parts look visually better than the stuff they get from other suppliers. I don't get it. I know other shops don't lean on their inspection labs so hard but is this as an extraordinary situation as other people in the industry in the local area are telling me?

rscott fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They don't have any beef and when you try to do something like mix pretzel dough the little fiber gear inside burns out and then you have to tear it apart, crack open the gearbox and lube up R2D2's anus as you replace it while wondering if this is really how Americans view the world and if so finally understand why their society has collapsed.

KitchenAid Pro series have all metal gears and a circuit breaker (instead of using a fiber gear as a "fuse") and are hundreds of dollars cheaper than any small (proper) commercial mixer but very much the same/adequate in a well used home kitchen. As much as I'd love to have a nice commercial Hobart, it's just not worth the money at home. Unless you want something ancient and beat up looking.

• Locked thread