Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Legit question: do you feel it is the history of the word (having been used to refer specifically to the mentally challenged) that is the problem, or the fact of any word indicating lesser intelligence being a slur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
what about saying someone was/is monged out? can we still say that?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

JFairfax posted:

yeah why not

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

JFairfax posted:

I wouldn't.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gonzo McFee posted:

I wouldn't.

hmmm a thorny issue indeed

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Speaking as a personal carer I'd advise against saying any of the classic insults against the disabled because they're generally nice people whom it really hurts when those words are heard or hurled against them. You've never quite felt as utterly ashamed of humanity as you will when you sit in a room full of people who talk about how they've been abused physically and mentally throughout their lives because their disabilities mean that it's easy for people to get away with it. :(

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I still call people joey when they've been stupid and that's down to blue Peter that one time.

Moron is fairly tame though, I don't think anyone would get really offended by it, would they?

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
For goons worried about whether their attempts to cause offence are causing offence, please see below for a handy guide of Correct insults you can deploy with a clear conscience:

-Kulak

-Bourgeoise

-Trot

-Rootless Cosmopolitan

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I think you should say it as you see it... we should start calling people with odious or asinine ideas Farages or possibly Gervaises.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Is it reasonable to insult non learning disabled people for doing something stupid by calling them a moron/cretin etc? I would never insult a learning disabled person for BEING learning disabled (why the heck would you, it's not like they can control it?? but then I'm not a fucktard) but of some presumably average functioning idiot has just performed a dangerous driving manoeuvre, or dropped a brick on your foot, or hit themselves in the eye with a spanner and you want to point out their stupidity... basically is it OK to call someone stupid, using a word other than stupid?

Then again, even as a very feminist lady, I still call people twats all the time despite the 'connotations' of the word. I am clearly a terrible person.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Legit question: do you feel it is the history of the word (having been used to refer specifically to the mentally challenged) that is the problem, or the fact of any word indicating lesser intelligence being a slur?

Pretty much both. Remember that "moron" is the word that "retarded" replaced.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

kapparomeo posted:

-Rootless Cosmopolitan

Only to be used if a poster is a confirmed member of the unofficial list of board 'rootless cosmopolitans'.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I still call people joey when they've been stupid and that's down to blue Peter that one time.

Moron is fairly tame though, I don't think anyone would get really offended by it, would they?

Think it's context in this case. Guy calls person with learning difficulties a moron, person takes it as an insult against their learning difficulty and the guy responds by linking to the dictionary to prove it wasn't, which is just patronising as gently caress. Moron is fine in the right context.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Do people still use 'flid'?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pissflaps posted:

Do people still use 'flid'?

"unarmed and dangerous"

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1289414/

We used to rent this from the blockbuster store I worked at.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Robot Mil posted:

I would never insult a learning disabled person for BEING learning disabled (why the heck would you, it's not like they can control it?? but then I'm not a fucktard)

:golfclap:

I see the thread is back onto the topic of "what's an offensive word or not", and just in time to derail the infinitely more interesting topic of economics and everything that's wrong with it. Well done thread, have a gold sticker. :sigh:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

KKKlean Energy posted:

:golfclap:

I see the thread is back onto the topic of "what's an offensive word or not", and just in time to derail the infinitely more interesting topic of economics and everything that's wrong with it. Well done thread, have a gold sticker. :sigh:

You can still talk about economics, if you want to.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Purple & Gold is the New Green

Benefits claimants should have their driving licences suspended to ease up traffic on Britain's roads, according to one Ukip candidate in the 2015 general election.

Lynton Yates, the party's hopeful in Charnwood, Leicestershire, also thinks cyclists should be forced to ride on the pavement and give way to pedestrians.

Mr Yates outlines his policies in a leaflet distributed in the area, under a heading describing them as a 'Ukip response' to traffic congestion.

The leaflet reads: "As much as I applaud cycling as a form of exercise and past-time [sic] the already congested roads cannot cope with both bus lanes AND cyclists.

"Cycles should go back to the pavements yet give priority to pedestrians."

It continues: "We could likely remove six million cars from the roads if benefits claimants were not driving. Why do they have the privilege to spend the tax payers' hard earned money on a car, when those in work are struggling to keep their own car on the road? These people really could catch a bus."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ban-unemployed-roads-ease-congestion-5017896

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Given it's Charnwood – where the BNP still have councillors – he might win too. :smith:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Purple & Gold is the New Green

Benefits claimants should have their driving licences suspended to ease up traffic on Britain's roads, according to one Ukip candidate in the 2015 general election.

Lynton Yates, the party's hopeful in Charnwood, Leicestershire, also thinks cyclists should be forced to ride on the pavement and give way to pedestrians.

Mr Yates outlines his policies in a leaflet distributed in the area, under a heading describing them as a 'Ukip response' to traffic congestion.

The leaflet reads: "As much as I applaud cycling as a form of exercise and past-time [sic] the already congested roads cannot cope with both bus lanes AND cyclists.

"Cycles should go back to the pavements yet give priority to pedestrians."

It continues: "We could likely remove six million cars from the roads if benefits claimants were not driving. Why do they have the privilege to spend the tax payers' hard earned money on a car, when those in work are struggling to keep their own car on the road? These people really could catch a bus."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ban-unemployed-roads-ease-congestion-5017896

lmao

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Prince John posted:

This is just mind boggling if it's true. I mean, is the IMF, the ECB and the Treasury not stuffed full of economists? Are they all unaware of the academic consensus?

Not saying you're wrong, just I can't understand how such a critical mass of supposed experts can all be enacting policies that are so discredited.

They're mostly managed by lawyers and politicians with their own agendas rather than honest people with a proven academic knowledge of Economics.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Although it must be said that central bankers apart from the ECB have been better on this stuff. A lot of the better central bankers had spent a lot of time analysing the Japanese example before the credit crisis started, particularly Bernanke.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax posted:

It continues: "We could likely remove six million

I wonder where he got that idea from...

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Apparently mongloid is something you should never say in italian as well as english, Future advice for you guys.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Page 3 is back in tomorrow's Sun, to the surprise of no-one.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Are they supporting #freethenipple then?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Are they supporting #freethenipple then?

Considering said Page 3 girl is in the Clarifications & Corrections column, it's probably a troll. Or a publicity stunt. Or, most likely, both.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Christ, The Times is bringing out the tit puns

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If rupe's broadsheet piece is that bad just think what the actual Sun will be running. Probably a remake of THIS IS ARE BRITAIN with the map covered in tits from past page 3s. Just the tits

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Thank god our national nightmare is over

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Anyone have a who did and didn't list of post-Soviet countries that accepted or turned down IMF austerity loans? Would like to have a quick reference to match up with who's doing better now for arguments.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JFairfax posted:

I haven't been called that since secondary school, ah, memories.

Edit:

Also I think that was also the last time I heard someone say they got Jewed out of their money.

I went to a good school.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

So the newest and greatest suggestion from a UKIP candidate...

Ban the jobless from driving, it will clear up congestion on our roads.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11361505/Ban-the-jobless-from-driving-to-ease-congestion-Ukip-candidate-says.html

I'm not even mad, it's just so ridiculous.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mega Comrade posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11361505/Ban-the-jobless-from-driving-to-ease-congestion-Ukip-candidate-says.html

I don't know why but I can't wait for this to get reported in the Mail so I can see all the UKIP apologists defend this policy (many of the commenters on the DM see every UKIP article as a hatchet job, so they get super-defensive)

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Mega Comrade posted:

Bloody immigrants/jobless/disabled, clogging up our roads! :argh: Meanwhile, let me tell you why anyone taking the bus over the age of 26 can consider themselves a failure

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

I like to imagine that they're trying to co-opt the green surge in the most incompetent manner possible. :allears:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

His sign off at the end of the letter is the best bit

"Yet again we're proposing common sense policies and common sense solutions."

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I think you should say it as you see it... we should start calling people with odious or asinine ideas Farages or possibly Gervaises.

You Cameron. You complete and total loving Gove.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

There was a law in Elizabethan times, The Poor Law I think, where people who were supported by their local authority weren't allowed to travel outside of their parish or they would get put in the stocks.

Googled it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Poor_Laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

hookerbot 5000 posted:

There was a law in Elizabethan times, The Poor Law I think, where people who were supported by their local authority weren't allowed to travel outside of their parish or they would get put in the stocks.

Googled it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Poor_Laws.

Given the poor were kind of seen as the responsibility of their parish, people really didn't like the idea of poor people who were someone else's responsibility turning up and becoming their problem.

The hilarious thing is, stopping the poor from travelling obviously makes it much less likely they'll find a job (if they even had cars, which is questionable).

• Locked thread