Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Now I think about it I had to bodge something at work that involves tapping a ruined 8mm fine thread up through 9, then to 10mm because we couldn't get a drill in to open it up and it was too ruined to fix at 8.

So I've used a 9mm tap then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They're referring the the across-flats size of the head, and no, you really don't encounter 9mm unless someone is being particularly bloodyminded about things. However, a hex for a #8-32 threaded fastener is likely to be 11/32", which is very hard to tell apart from 9mm. A 7mm across flats is most likely an M4 fastener.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/bolts/metric-bolt-head-size.aspx is relevant here.

It doesn't cover reduced-head metric fasteners of the style Ford uses, though.

Metric is fuckin' great poo poo eh? 5 different head sizes for one bolt shank diameter. Good thing we have standards, they're great because there are so many to choose from.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yet another reason to curse the random metric fasteners I run into. Fuckin' metric.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I just did the rear brakes on my car. The size of the discs and pads differs if you have a panoramic roof...
Yeah i get it, its a couple of kilos heavier, but seriously? Even the small brakes are over-engineered for the car.

loving french bastards...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's only fun when you're dealing with random selections of metric and imperial (of all flavours, naturally) on one vehicle.

Really, if you're used to one or the other, you rapidly pick up on how to eyeball 90% of them.

For me, the real entertainment is that most aero engine stuff is still imperial (generally UNF), but certain people had the wonderful idea years back that a nice, modern company should be dimensioning things in metric units. :commissar:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

It's only fun when you're dealing with random selections of metric and imperial (of all flavours, naturally) on one vehicle.

I still love all that imperial threadding with metric heads on Rover V8s. Brilliant idea your midland drunkards.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

Yet another reason to curse the random metric fasteners I run into. Fuckin' metric.

gently caress your SAE. gently caress it. :colbert:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress your SAE. gently caress it. :colbert:

Nope. I can take apart most of my car with a 9/16" and a 1/2" wrench. Which is often the same wrench. Except when random bolts are metric, like the ones holding the radiator into the truck. For some reason. Rest of it is standard, except when it's not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

Nope. I can take apart most of my car with a 9/16" and a 1/2" wrench. Which is often the same wrench. Except when random bolts are metric, like the ones holding the radiator into the truck. For some reason. Rest of it is standard, except when it's not.

Join the modern world :smuggo:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The only annoying thing is all my hand tools are imperial because airplanes, and all my personal vehicles are always metric.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I still love all that imperial threadding with metric heads on Rover V8s. Brilliant idea your midland drunkards.

It was imp/imp before bmw got involved. :D

GM is a nasty offender of the metric/imperial mashup too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

Really, if you're used to one or the other, you rapidly pick up on how to eyeball 90% of them.

For me, the real entertainment is that most aero engine stuff is still imperial (generally UNF), but certain people had the wonderful idea years back that a nice, modern company should be dimensioning things in metric units. :commissar:

I have basically every fastener on the vehicles I work on memorized (by accident, it just happens) but yeah, it's a proper mindfuck.

All the chassis poo poo on an XJ? Metric. Except the steering stuff, that's all SAE except a few random things.
All the everything that threads into the engine? SAE, unless it bolts into a part redesigned since the metric changeover at whatever company made it. So the vacuum fittings are all NPT, but all the throttle body stuff, PS pump, alternator, fuel rail, and AC compressor are metric.
Starter motor has one metric bolt and one SAE bolt. The SAE bolt faces the transmission because it's an Aisin Warner all-metric transmission (:psyboom: because it's got an old SAE measurement BH pattern on it) and the metric bolt faces the starter because it's a Nippon Denso starter.
The transfer case is all metric because it's a New Venture Gear unit from a time when metric was coming into usage, but the interfaces to all the yokes, the tcase to transmission studs, and all the splines are in inches because it was designed to match up with old american auto industry parts already in use, so even though the tcase and transmission are both 100% metric native, they're bolted together entirely with SAE fasteners.
The brake lines are all SAE flare, except one bubble flare because Reasons.
Some of the bolts are internal torx, some are external torx, some are security torx, and there are a few 12 points thrown in for good measure.

I have also seen engineering marvels like Ford pinion flanges, which use M12x1.75 bolts, but on a 4.250" pitch circle with a 2.000" pilot center.

Engineering: 50% metric, 50% SAE, and 50% legacy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm working on a new engine that is bolting up to a legacy stand/oil pan (it's a very large engine and the oil pan supports it on the ground). The company is moving over to metric, but the oil pan is still SAE. So, there is like 50 M12 bolts and a dozen 1/2" on the cover that bolts onto the end.

I hate trying to bolt on legacy equipment as it never matches the standard I am using everywhere else on the system.

Worse, the guy who speced the fuel pumps called out metric fluid connections. That poo poo is almost impossible to find in the US and costs about 10x what's standard SAE parts cost. So I have like two super expensive connectors on a system that uses hundreds of NPT fittings everywhere else. When I asked him, he said, "well, NPT is hard to find in Germany." That's nice, I'll keep it in mind when I'm not working on something being built in the Midwest!

(he got fired...)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There's no loving way NPT is hard to find in Germany.

SKF makes a gently caress ton of NPT fittings, they gotta go somewhere in Western Europe.

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
Its not just the Italians doing non-standard Metric fasteners in 7mm or 9mm Hex.
Shimano (bicycle parts) are at at it as well. With 9mm hexes on M6 stuff and 7mm hexes on M5's.
I know its all about weight saving on their high end gear, but I feel the pain from the Ducati mechanics when dealing with this crap.
So Its back to the toolbox to find that 9mm spanner that you don't have. 9 & 7mm spanners are rare in most toolkits...

Also my car has a 15mm hex on the sump plug. Its not imperial either. Thread is 12mm x 1.75.
15mm spanners are also rare...

Guess the car?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Maybe it was SAE straight thread. Don't remember off the top of my head. I just know that I can't find a lot of choice in metric straight thread of BSPP here in the US.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

InitialDave posted:

I don't know what it's like on modern Fords but I found an interesting mix on the 99 Taurus I had for a while. All the easily-accessible basic maintenance poo poo (battery cables, etc.) was SAE but for instance once you'd used an SAE wrench to disconnect the battery, the battery tray was held in with metric bolts.

My theory is that Ford kept the basic poo poo SAE so dads wouldn't get upset about weird Euro crap on their ALL AMERICAN AUTOMOBILES.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

I don't know what it's like on modern Fords but I found an interesting mix on the 99 Taurus I had for a while. All the easily-accessible basic maintenance poo poo (battery cables, etc.) was SAE but for instance once you'd used an SAE wrench to disconnect the battery, the battery tray was held in with metric bolts.

My theory is that Ford kept the basic poo poo SAE so dads wouldn't get upset about weird Euro crap on their ALL AMERICAN AUTOMOBILES.

Ford, Hecho en Mexico.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Not Terrible Rant Stuff

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

GM is a nasty offender of the metric/imperial mashup too.

And torx. I have a whole set of torx for a car I don't have anymore.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

All the domestic OEs were awful for SAE/Metric nonsense from the late eighties till the mid-late nineties. More recently, they're almost entirely metric.

Torx is bullshit, but I submit to you the only fastener that is more deserving of scorn than Torx:

The Tri-Wing.

gently caress Tri-Wing.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My company dual-dimensions everything in inches and mm, it's like the worst of both worlds because almost nothing rounds exactly and every dimension takes up extra space on the drawing.

The place I did my internship had a requirement to put the absolute biggest threads that would fit on some components. So there were MJ7 and MJ13 threads all over.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

jammyozzy posted:

My company dual-dimensions everything in inches and mm, it's like the worst of both worlds because almost nothing rounds exactly and every dimension takes up extra space on the drawing.

Ugh. This is the first project I've worked on that does that consistently. Half the dimensions are standard SAE (.000, .125, .250, etc), half are whole number metric DIMs.

The worst is converting an old 2D drawing into a 3D part, then making a new CAD drawing of that part. You'll get poo poo like 25.3mm/0.99in and need to figure out how to round things at the fourth decimal point to make the new drawing match the reference because gently caress you if the reference doesn't make sense, your new drawing has to match it exactly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

MrYenko posted:

All the domestic OEs were awful for SAE/Metric nonsense from the late eighties till the mid-late nineties. More recently, they're almost entirely metric.

Torx is bullshit, but I submit to you the only fastener that is more deserving of scorn than Torx:

The Tri-Wing.

gently caress Tri-Wing.

Hey you're not giving external pentalobe security torxplus enough credit here.

no, that doesn't actually exist. If it did I would be morally obliged to track down the inventor and perform an honor killing.

This was a tossup between horrible failures and terrible car stuff.

I am fairly certain that's a Jeep TJ rear suspension, and 99% sure that's an old 4.0L head bolt being used as an LCA boltshear pin.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I didn't know they made jeep rear ends out of 100% verdigris.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This was a "safety car" named sir vival.

get it? huh

do you get it?

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Gentlemen, I've come across an investment opportunity on Craigslist Today:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I couldn't help but see it...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ace job loving up that THREE STAGE PAINT by deforming the trunk lid when the spoiler was attached.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i imagine that is what every rocket bunny FRS with a spoiler attached to the license plate holder is going to look like in 10 years.

That guy was probably king of the parking lot at the 2 fast 2 furious premier.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What is "tu-tone" and what is the third paint stage? primer?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wonder if it's a holdover from the 80s-90s Mazda crossover days.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

I couldn't help but see it...

We need more vents. MORE VENTS!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrYenko posted:

The Tri-Wing.

gently caress Tri-Wing.
Hah, we make some of those. Suck it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MrYenko posted:

The Tri-Wing.

gently caress Tri-Wing.

I have to believe those were made under the assumption that everybody would strip them and they'd make loads of money that way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They honestly seem like one of those things designed deliberately to never be taken apart, usually used on things that even factory technicians aren't meant to gently caress with. Just like 5 pointed torx.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

They honestly seem like one of those things designed deliberately to never be taken apart, usually used on things that even factory technicians aren't meant to gently caress with. Just like 5 pointed torx.

The mass airflow sensor in my car was held in by 5 point security torx. tell me a mass airflow sensor is never meant to be removed or replaced.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Tri-Wings I pictured are titanium. They're used on DC-10s for all manner of access panels, all over the aircraft, including my favorites, the ones on the bottom of the horizontal stab that let you access the logo lights.

Drilling titanium only gets better when you get to do it over your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I thought those were made to infuriate overly inquisitive children trying to take apart their happy meals toys. drat YOU MCDONALDS :argh: