Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

I said come in! posted:

I was being sarcastic. Last gen was amazing. I never know what to say to people who felt last gen wasn't overflowing with really great games.

Sure, if you were a PC gamer. Compare last gen to the PS2/Dreamcast/Gamecube gen or the N64/PSX/Saturn gen and marvel at how poo poo it was in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Leveling up is real good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Sometimes people say "I'm only watching numbers go up" to dismiss video games and I'm like, that is literally the reason why I play them.

Perhaps the same can be said of all sports and financial TV.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ahundredbux posted:

Leveling up is real good

Gamer tip: keep a color coded spreadsheet of your finances and treat surplus money each month/two paychecks/whatever as experience points in your own personal game. Suddenly you become rich both in wallet and in your feelings.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

The Wii didn't have a lot of 3rd party support outside of shovelware minigame collections because it was both underpowered compared to its competitors and was built around a gimmicky control scheme that not even Nintendo was able to really take advantage of, and both of those are still true for the WiiU. The big difference this time is that they're letting more third-party devs use Nintendo IPs to try and pad out their library but on the other hand Nintendo is still figuring out how to work in HD which is why the first two years of the WiiU were such a wasteland as they shuffled their teams around and delayed games in the name of getting announced titles out the door on time.

I dunno my favorite experiences on Wii U have been gimmick free. You can play all the best games with the Pro controller which is more or less an Xbox controller, the tablet isn't a requirement at all.

Also there are actually Wii U games that currently look great, Wii games imo instantly looked like poo poo the moment you got an HD TV.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The tablet is a really awesome controller which allows for better aiming, a way to switch items or view the map without pausing, and many other way sick functions in funtastic Ninfriendo games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

Sure, if you were a PC gamer. Compare last gen to the PS2/Dreamcast/Gamecube gen or the N64/PSX/Saturn gen and marvel at how poo poo it was in comparison.

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Some features of the tablet: it is big enough that my bird can stand upon it and play games with me, it makes Windwaker feel very smooth and uninterrupted, out of the three devices that play Netflix in my house it has the least garbage interface, it allows for me to tap my amiibos and view the rewards in Hyrule Warriors without even turning off Seinfeld. A great controller for a modern age.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

Hmm actually no last gen was pretty epic with tons of cool games big and small

Metal Gear Rising: Revengence, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Super Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Remnant, Super Meat Boy, Portal, Bastion. Gaming's ambrosia? I think so

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

How about I gently caress your rear end instead

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Bicyclops posted:

Gamer tip: keep a color coded spreadsheet of your finances and treat surplus money each month/two paychecks/whatever as experience points in your own personal game. Suddenly you become rich both in wallet and in your feelings.

Nah, hoarding coins, gold, gil or bottlecaps and money is it's own kind of pleasure

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am a video game Ebeneezer Scrooge. All the other peasants are wallowing in desperation, happy to accept a few simple coins for me to spend an evening in their worthless little hovel, while I throw scads of money that could feed most of them for a year at some bug monster just so that my muscles register as literally the strongest on the planet. Hope that I pass you by and want one of your magic orbs, impoverished masses, and maybe you'll eat for a day while I make rupees disappear into my already full wallet here in my Skingrad mansion, where I'm feeding my prize chocobo a weed that's worth more than your entire family.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Ahundredbux posted:

Nah, hoarding coins, gold, gil or bottlecaps and money is it's own kind of pleasure

Hey this bottle cap has a star on it!

There's also some special neurotransmitter that is released when you finally kill a god at the end of a multi-hour raid, and your class chestpiece drops, and you roll a 100.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Who is going to Evo 2k15?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nice loving town you guys got here. With my SeeD rank, it'd take me approximately one walk through the trees or turning in one of my playing cards to buy the entire thing. Now hand over your meaningless tributes or Quistis will suck you into a black hole that leads to one of those games where you have to make some of the numbers go down to make the others go up.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i remember the last thing i did in fallout 3 was nuke The Citadel so i could funslide down the crater and steal Dirty Harry's magnum from their hidden armory.

i was max level, i had everything, i'd done everything. watching it explode was very satisfying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, hey, you guys are complaining about pollution again, even though I built lots of parks and you're almost a Megalopolis now. It would be a shame if there were to be a plane crash near the residential districts, huh? Maybe you want to think about what a nuclear plant meltdown would do for the environment the next time you vote in your little newspaper poll.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Speaking of coins I spent like 90 minutes filling out surveys and registering games I bought in like 2008 since club nintendo is closing soon

I have like 900 coins

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, hey, you guys are complaining about pollution again, even though I built lots of parks and you're almost a Megalopolis now. It would be a shame if there were to be a plane crash near the residential districts, huh? Maybe you want to think about what a nuclear plant meltdown would do for the environment the next time you vote in your little newspaper poll.

:allears:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I would like to, if vacation permits. That said the only game I care about is Xrd and that will be an all Japanese top 8. Not that I give a gently caress but lol if you root for any other nationality in that game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Von Linus posted:

I got 1000 damage per second in Dragon Age and told my wife. She didn't appreciate it on the same level I did. :-(

because thats really low and she recognized you as a noob bitch

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.destructoid.com/the-real-sources-of-unethical-videogame-journalism-286380.phtml

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

this is terrible. worse than the sword of truth book series.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

well, duh

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I feel like that article makes obvious sense (that might not be obvious to some), but is written in a way such that I want to punch the author nonetheless.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i skipped to the end and he's talking about voting with your dollars and i lol'd back here

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

quote:

Capcom can't fly Anita out to Hawaii and try to win her over. They can't slap a review embargo on her. She doing just fine without having to get involved with "hype-trains" or review events. She might be lovely at her job, but she's still an honest-to-God game critic, and that scares the gently caress out of AAA publishers.
Mmm yes "she doing just fine" indeed.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What the gently caress

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Interesting article. Allow me to offer a rebuttal:

gently caress you

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 22, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

I said come in! posted:

It's about 10 minutes from my house, but I don't really want to mingle with disgusting fighting games people.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

someone told me this is a psot someone made and im just gonna say youre a human being so large you can engulf the entire male cast of baywatch on your anus

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ArfJason posted:

someone told me this is a psot someone made and im just gonna say youre a human being so large you can engulf the entire male cast of baywatch on your anus

sexy av bro

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
so apparently some girl threw herself at a tourney player and tried to start an incident, so she could provoke him into hitting her and making her into the victim? like she grabbed him and tried to act like he was overpowering her, while he stood there doing nothing. then she had some of her friends nearby shouting "disqualify him!" immediately while the guy stood there wondering what the hell this chick was doing

but her retard plan was completely foiled because someone filmed the whole thing in perfectly clear detail, then she deleted all her internet accounts and vanished lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sfs9h3bIDg

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Gaming conventions are cool.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Excels posted:

so apparently some girl threw herself at a tourney player and tried to start an incident, so she could provoke him into hitting her and making her into the victim? like she grabbed him and tried to act like he was overpowering her, while he stood there doing nothing. then she had some of her friends nearby shouting "disqualify him!" immediately while the guy stood there wondering what the hell this chick was doing

but her retard plan was completely foiled because someone filmed the whole thing in perfectly clear detail, then she deleted all her internet accounts and vanished lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sfs9h3bIDg

Lmao at all these people getting so excited over the only video game genre that is more dead than adventure games.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
in the new ghetto of the 21st century, the white man with the pony tail meets the black man taking bets in the only things they have in common: basements and street fighter

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

i skipped to the end and he's talking about voting with your dollars and i lol'd back here

yup that's where it runs off the rails. The rest of it is good points phrased obnoxiously, but then he proposes a solution at the end and lol

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Huh, turns out video game journalists were humans the whole time

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nasgate posted:

Lmao at all these people getting so excited over the only video game genre that is more dead than adventure games.

You realize there's an annual fighting game tournament in the US with like, 5000 players in the same room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Some features of the tablet: it is big enough that my bird can stand upon it and play games with me, it makes Windwaker feel very smooth and uninterrupted, out of the three devices that play Netflix in my house it has the least garbage interface, it allows for me to tap my amiibos and view the rewards in Hyrule Warriors without even turning off Seinfeld. A great controller for a modern age.

I agreed with you until you said the interface wasn't garbage. It's completely missing the option to turn the drat gamepad off during games and shows without using a secondary pro controller that has a better auto-off.

• Locked thread