Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
I've been playing Two Worlds 2 because I enjoyed the first one, even though I know its a terrible game. I figured maybe they'd work on what didn't work and make a better experience out of it. In some ways they did, but in most ways it's still just a terrible game, yet just like the first one, I'm still playing it.

I think my biggest complaint for it though, is the fact that every dungeon in it is just boring. There is nothing special about them, most are just copied dungeons that look exactly the same, and at best you may find 3 or 4 chests in one, unless it's for a main quest. They all just feel tacked on for the sake of having more dungeons, but they aren't worth going through other than for experience, which is not even a problem to get in the first place.

It has a great boat mechanic to it, the horses are handled well enough, the landscape actually looks great in the game, but in the long run, it's just a bunch of wasted potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

KotOR 2 is really uneven even in its restored state, for every clever subversion of Star Wars you get lesbian twilek bounty hunters straight off of :tvtropes: or yet another dungeon that exists for no reason other than to be a dungeon.

I got Gat Out Of Hell and a big letdown is the lack of cutscenes. Aside from the opening and ending almost all of the cinematics are just narration over storybook illustrations or gameplay footage, and considered thay they marketed the game with a fully-animated and voice acted musical it's pretty disappointing. There's also a ton of recycling, there are no traditional missions and most of the activities are the same insurance fraud/mayhem activities you've been doing for 4 games and aside from the 7 deadly sins weapons the guns are just recycled from 4 and 3 only in a coat of devil paint.

It's still fun but I would have rather had a few actual proper missions instead of a bunch of padding.

The lack of customization in Gat Out of Hell is a big bummer as well, but i think the biggest let down is the removal of the radio. SR4 did it right by letting you play it anywhere and they've stripped it entirely.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

The Moon Monster posted:

I can see what they were trying to do, since giving enemies a bunch of different defences to get around makes it so you have to adjust your deck for the situation rather than just stuffing it full of all your max damage cards. But on the other hand yeah, it is unfun.

Yeah the game rapidly becomes near unplayable around level 10-12. At least in beta you were often better off with level 1 characters because then you could actually draw damage cards rather than tons of movement and armor.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Detective Buttfuck posted:

The lack of customization in Gat Out of Hell is a big bummer as well, but i think the biggest let down is the removal of the radio. SR4 did it right by letting you play it anywhere and they've stripped it entirely.

My dress up game where I can occasionally shoot people got rid of the dress ups? gently caress. Can I still at least turn into a golden goddess?

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

You can be Gat or Kinzie and thats it. Only thing you can change on them is the color of their wings to purple and i think thats a preorder bonus.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tiggum posted:

I've never understood why people want this. What's the actual advantage?

You can alt-tab to your desktop to go on the internet/check skype/facebook without your computer throwing a hissy fit and possibly crashing the game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

The Iron Rose posted:

You can alt-tab to your desktop to go on the internet/check skype/facebook without your computer throwing a hissy fit and possibly crashing the game.

Why would you go on facebook while playing a game, though?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Byzantine posted:

When I still played MMOs I'd bounce to Facebook or the forums while I waited for people to load or stop being the worst.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This doesn't really drag any games down but a pet peeve of mine is dumb loading screen messages. Very often they don't consider context at all which leads to some really stupid combinations. Others have useful information that isn't communicated anywhere else in the game, but that might not actually end up randomly showing up on a loading screen until you're two-thirds of the way through the game.

The most recent example that comes to mind is "the alien is not the only threat on the station!" :downs: in Alien Isolation, immediately after being throttled to death by creepy mannequin robots.

Byzantine posted:

In the Evolve beta that just happened there's about 5 minutes of downtime between games for various reasons. I frequently found myself alt-tabbing and would have loved the game not to hate this (if I alt-tabbed back while it was in the next loading screen, the resolution would get dropped to something close to the minimum with no way to change it without leaving the lobby). In Alien Isolation a lot of the riveting gameplay involves sitting in a hiding spot for a minute while you wait for the alien to go away, then using the terminal in the room you need to get to for 5 seconds before it comes back, then sitting in a hiding spot for a minute while you wait for the alien to go away. I found myself checking my phone more than once in some parts of that game and could just as well have been checking out some dank memes. Or sometimes I chat on facebook while having a game on that doesn't need my full attention, frequently alt tabbing. There are many reasons why being able to alt-tab without the game loving out is good.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Detective Buttfuck posted:

You can be Gat or Kinzie and thats it. Only thing you can change on them is the color of their wings to purple and i think thats a preorder bonus.

Yeah, the wings and the Jester's Skull are both preorder bonuses. I love the way purple wings look on Johnny, but I miss the dressup part of the game.

Also the controls for doing Hellblazing are frustratingly imprecise. It's driving me insane. I just want my mission screen to be less full!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Byzantine posted:

I often pause a game to respond to a message or notification. I have two computers though so the Alt-Tabbing thing hadn't occurred to me.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This doesn't really drag any games down but a pet peeve of mine is dumb loading screen messages. Very often they don't consider context at all which leads to some really stupid combinations. Others have useful information that isn't communicated anywhere else in the game, but that might not actually end up randomly showing up on a loading screen until you're two-thirds of the way through the game.
I can't think of any specific examples, but there have definitely been cases where I've seen one of those messages and gone "Oh! That's what I was supposed to have been doing this whole time!" I like when those messages are just hints that you could just pick up by paying attention like "this enemy type will always investigate if they hear a noise" or whatever, but there are definitely ones that seem like they should have been part of the actual tutorial.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Yeah, the wings and the Jester's Skull are both preorder bonuses. I love the way purple wings look on Johnny, but I miss the dressup part of the game.

Also the controls for doing Hellblazing are frustratingly imprecise. It's driving me insane. I just want my mission screen to be less full!
You playing on controller? Because on keyboard and mouse I found the controls to be really fluid and I breezed through all the Hellblazing missions.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Accordion Man posted:

You playing on controller? Because on keyboard and mouse I found the controls to be really fluid and I breezed through all the Hellblazing missions.

This also might depend on whether or not you have the Flight power up that makes turning easier.

Re: Alt-Tab, a lot of games allow controller input while the focus is away from them, so I can play my game on one monitor and let my girlfriend web browse on another.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

More games need an Uncle Sheogorath mod.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Byzantine posted:

Long loading screens, downtime during a game, stuff like that? Usually it'll just take a few seconds, and I like to spend a few minutes doing something else when playing a game to break up the monotony a bit.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
There are people who don't alt-tab while playing games? I'm alt-tabbing constantly and while I realize I do it way more than most people I assumed everyone alt-tabbed some. Games not having borderless window drives me up a wall (and drags the game down).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

One game that allows you to alt-tab and is kinda borderless-fullscreen is Metal Gear Rising, which is great, but it pauses the credits so you can't alt-tab out of the unskippable credits to browse the web or something. :argh: At least the steam overlay allows you to web browse.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I alt tab because growing up in the digital age has broken my mind and made it impossible to focus on any one thing for more than like 5 minutes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Byzantine posted:

No kidding, right? Why facebook when the forums are right here. :v:

Saw this earlier:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Elysiume posted:

There are people who don't alt-tab while playing games? I'm alt-tabbing constantly and while I realize I do it way more than most people I assumed everyone alt-tabbed some. Games not having borderless window drives me up a wall (and drags the game down).

Unless I've got a guide open in another window for the game, I don't alt-tab (hell, I've printed out stuff so I wouldn't have to). Granted, I don't play any games with longass loading screens or unskippable credits, but that so many people alt-tab is weird. If the game's too boring to focus on, why play it? :confused:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Unless I've got a guide open in another window for the game, I don't alt-tab (hell, I've printed out stuff so I wouldn't have to). Granted, I don't play any games with longass loading screens or unskippable credits, but that so many people alt-tab is weird. If the game's too boring to focus on, why play it? :confused:

The game itself isn't boring, there's just sometimes unavoidable downtime. Loading screens, matchmaking waits, unskippable scenes you've already watched, or occasionally an important notification you need to check. Having the game take minute(s) to alt-tab out and come back in is a pain in the rear end.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I alt tab because growing up in the digital age has broken my mind and made it impossible to focus on any one thing for more than like 5 minutes.

:hfive:

Re: Gat Out of Hell

I really wish they'd let me customize anything. They also missed a great chance for some Meatloaf :colbert:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Byzantine posted:

There's plenty of unavoidable boring stuff. Die in Dota/HotS, you've got a minute where you can't do anything. Waiting for something to spawn, waiting for people to load, a boring fight where you can autoattack, whatever. Plenty of otherwise fun games have boring sections and I'd rather be doing something else during those times. Admittedly I might go overboard but I don't want to e.g. watch a timer tick down from 60 to 0 in a casual HotS PUG where.

Lywinis
Nov 5, 2007

I can bench more than you.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:hfive:

Re: Gat Out of Hell

I really wish they'd let me customize anything. They also missed a great chance for some Meatloaf :colbert:

poo poo, they shipped it to PC with the ending cutscene broken. It replays the into cutscene.

Pretty sure it would have been too much for the radio to make a comeback.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Silvyfox posted:

poo poo, they shipped it to PC with the ending cutscene broken. It replays the into cutscene.

Pretty sure it would have been too much for the radio to make a comeback.

Chaos Argate can back me up on this.

1. I didn't notice at first.

2. Laughed when I did.

3. Skipped it.

The last boss is tedious and boring.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Bravely Default, I actually like your twist. It's a really cool idea, a neat way of playing with the story conventions, and actually allows them to be a bit clever about approaching the game from that point. ...But you took it way too far, and now it's hurting you.

At least one of the parallel-univerrse time loops, possibly two, is completely superfluous and serves only to drag the already-long game out even longer. Going up against the first major bosses for a second time, after you've been able to power up and find your groove, is a neat idea. ...Doing it a third, and then fourth time, not so much.

Allowing rematches with the job bosses is cool, but they don't really serve to do anything beyond exist for the second and third cycle. I've reached Chapter 7 now, where they actually bother changing things up by having the bosses team up against you, but by now I'm just too tired of them to fight them for fun. That leaves fighting them for rewards, but the rewards aren't good. The job rematches already gave a maximum JP output, so that's no good, and the chapter 7 fights give zero gold and XP, so that's actually even worse. Some of them have a chance of dropping the best armor in the game, but only some of them, only a chance, and it's really not a massive upgrade, especially since they have no added effects.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Chaos Argate can back me up on this.

1. I didn't notice at first.

2. Laughed when I did.

3. Skipped it.

The last boss is tedious and boring.

I don't understand how you didn't notice. The cutscene audio didn't match with the subtitles at all! Then again if you didn't turn them on that'd make sense. I hope they fix that soon.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChaosArgate posted:

Then again if you didn't turn them on that'd make sense.

This. Also, how does hell NOT have a lava version of the Septic Truck activity?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Cleretic posted:

Bravely Default, I actually like your twist. It's a really cool idea, a neat way of playing with the story conventions, and actually allows them to be a bit clever about approaching the game from that point. ...But you took it way too far, and now it's hurting you.

At least one of the parallel-univerrse time loops, possibly two, is completely superfluous and serves only to drag the already-long game out even longer. Going up against the first major bosses for a second time, after you've been able to power up and find your groove, is a neat idea. ...Doing it a third, and then fourth time, not so much.

Allowing rematches with the job bosses is cool, but they don't really serve to do anything beyond exist for the second and third cycle. I've reached Chapter 7 now, where they actually bother changing things up by having the bosses team up against you, but by now I'm just too tired of them to fight them for fun. That leaves fighting them for rewards, but the rewards aren't good. The job rematches already gave a maximum JP output, so that's no good, and the chapter 7 fights give zero gold and XP, so that's actually even worse. Some of them have a chance of dropping the best armor in the game, but only some of them, only a chance, and it's really not a massive upgrade, especially since they have no added effects.

I think the main point of the rematches is to get some back-story on the asterisk users. At least, in one of the loops.
The rest is pretty much filler. Really hope they don't try to pull this poo poo in the sequel or I'll probably give it a pass.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I don't know what it is about my setup but something about certain fullscreen games makes it that whenever they start, the movie/youtube/etc in my other window stops updating the visual parts. :argh:

From there I have to alt-tab repeatedly to hope that I roll a lucky 7 and one of the alt tabs gets the video to continue.

Borderless windowed fixes this problem nicely, though some games don't seem to have problems at all.

Dual-channel entertainment. :pcgaming:

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I've been playing with a controller because I found SRIV controls better with one. I'll give KB+M a go later tonight! Thanks!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

scarycave posted:

I think the main point of the rematches is to get some back-story on the asterisk users. At least, in one of the loops.
The rest is pretty much filler. Really hope they don't try to pull this poo poo in the sequel or I'll probably give it a pass.

If I'm remembering right, you can skip the loops after a certain point and go straight to endgame by not stopping when Airy tells you to stop purifying a crystal. I was all about that. The loops were boring.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Professor Wayne posted:

If I'm remembering right, you can skip the loops after a certain point and go straight to endgame by not stopping when Airy tells you to stop purifying a crystal. I was all about that. The loops were boring.

You could, but doing that gets you the false ending and unable to fight the true final boss until you do go along with Airy and possibly the game's secret super boss who is the save guy and his fox.

The latter really isn't too important though because its one of those get some "good job" token for beating me super bosses.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
gently caress Gat out of Hell

I was having a lot of fun with it until MASSIVE SPOILERS

Clearing out all the zones/sub-sections of the map gives you a cutscene showing off how you freed the land and poo poo but they also visually tease you and hint at an upcoming war between "The Ultor Alliance: Vogel, Twins, Vlad, Blackbeard and Shakespeare" VS The Akujis, Killbane, The Samedis. I'm pumped! Boss on Boss action in some super bonus campaign mission? Totally digging it.

So the game gives you a mission called "Shawarma" and I immediately beeline for the mission and start it up. Game goes into a cutscene, talking about the uprising and the war that erupted then IMMEDIATELY TELLS YOU YOU WON. The war is over, Ultor Alliance won and the other guys lost. It's not even a real cutscene like the Disney song, just the lovely rear end page turning stuff. They had the coolest hook, the best excuse and some of the most memorable characters then garbage the whole idea within 2 minutes. Why?!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Resonance of Fate is one of the coolest JRPGs I've ever seen but the game doesn't explain itself at all. The tutorial is complete dogshit and I didn't even know how to save until I looked it up online.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Terminally Bored posted:

Resonance of Fate is one of the coolest JRPGs I've ever seen but the game doesn't explain itself at all. The tutorial is complete dogshit and I didn't even know how to save until I looked it up online.

Holy cow.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Terminally Bored posted:

I tried to play without the tutorial at first. That dog poo poo tutorial is way better than going in blind.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Except I couldn't even finish the tutorial, had no idea how to pull off the tri-attack before I saw it on youtube. And you can only save at designed places but the game never tells you that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Terminally Bored posted:

Except I couldn't even finish the tutorial, had no idea how to pull off the tri-attack before I saw it on youtube. And you can only save at designed places but the game never tells you that.

I had trouble with the air shot. I actually had to reset the tutorial because I ran out of points. The game seems neat and stylish but I sent it back to Gamefly pretty quick. Because it felt like it was going to get stale really quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Len posted:

I had trouble with the air shot. I actually had to reset the tutorial because I ran out of points. The game seems neat and stylish but I sent it back to Gamefly pretty quick. Because it felt like it was going to get stale really quick.

the most important part of Resonance of Fate is the fashion and that never gets stale