Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I just hope I can still pay them once and keep the OS running for as long as I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Am I misunderstanding, or are they claiming that you get lifetime support and upgrades for the life of any device?

Or is it some sort of "* As long as device meets minimum operating requirements" clause so grandma doesn't sue because windows 11 won't run on her celeron?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Oh dear: "We think of Windows as a service........" Here we go.

That's been coming for a while.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-make-per-user-windows-licensing-available-to-enterprise-customers/

We're actually looking forward to per user windows licensing to be honest

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Getting certified in Win 10 is going to be a bitch.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

skipdogg posted:

That's been coming for a while.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-make-per-user-windows-licensing-available-to-enterprise-customers/

We're actually looking forward to per user windows licensing to be honest

That's because Windows licensing is retarded for the Enterprise. I just want to hand over money and keep using using it till I am done with it. Not some fee.

We'll see.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You guys know that confusing licensing is a deliberate moneymaker, right? And that it's unlikely to go away because it's so lucrative?

Their per-user license is probably going to be mangled somehow, with different sections for various "sites" as defined by people in different physical floors, and people wearing jeans in a special category or something.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but it's reached the point where even Microsoft can't understand their own licensing anymore. Literally no one I call there can figure it out, nor can most VARs. No one will put anything in writing either since I'd imagine they'd need 10 lawyers to go over it, you know, just to make sure they're not giving anything away.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah but it's reached the point where even Microsoft can't understand their own licensing anymore. Literally no one I call there can figure it out, nor can most VARs. No one will put anything in writing either since I'd imagine they'd need 10 lawyers to go over it, you know, just to make sure they're not giving anything away.

Uh not really

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Let me bolt a Windows Pro license onto an Office 365 sub for ~£30 a year or so, gently caress off with the CALs and I'll be happy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Uh not really

Got cals for all your printers?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Holograms :wtf: :aaa:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Tab8715 posted:

Holograms :wtf: :aaa:

Time to create an HPUs thread?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

This is actually Oracle licencing, right?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

socialsecurity posted:

Got cals for all your printers?

Yup.

This isn't a new thing. Device CAL and User CALs seem pretty straight-forward to me.

If I have a device connecting to my windows server, I need a CAL for it. If I have a user connecting to my windows server, I need a user CAL for it.

It's been like this since at least 2004, which is when I started working full time, but at least Server 2008+ don't require you to install the CALs now. :downs:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Product licensing is just a calculus I question. It's not really fun or incredibly easy, but something you can toss into Excel to do pretty easy scale analysis.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CALs and especially having to buy SA on the CALs just leaves an incredibly bad taste. I can't honestly think of a legitimate reason why you have to pay Microsoft to use a Microsoft desktop OS with a Microsoft server OS, other than :10bux: and "gently caress you".

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MJBuddy posted:

Product licensing is just a calculus I question. It's not really fun or incredibly easy, but something you can toss into Excel to do pretty easy scale analysis.

In larger orgs, software purchase and licensing is a FTE position.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I think Windows 2000 Pro came with an RDP cal of it's own, that did not last long.

They were still testing the waters I guess.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

For what it's worth, you can resize them, or just remove every one of them altogether.

Progress. We're almost back to Windows 7 levels of usability. Now all they have to do is bring back an interesting visual style (i.e. Aero) instead of this flat solid-color nonsense and it will finally feel like we're in the 21st century again.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I think Windows 2000 Pro came with an RDP cal of it's own, that did not last long.

They were still testing the waters I guess.

This, along with shipping outlook 2003 with exchange 2003 (for free) was the "first hit is free" mentality.

Man, old microsoft was cool.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

Didn't they butcher windows backup though without any good reason to?

They replaced shadow copy with file history in windows 8. It uses a lot more disk space, but it works well for its intended task. I would not use windows image based backup and would use a third party program if this is what you wanted.
The windows 10 command prompt works with normal copy and paste now. The new start menu works great. Live updating tiles if you want it, but really it is just a more customizable start menu that doesn't take over the while screen. The windows 8 to 10 upgrade is very smooth. The only problem I have with the technical preview is that some of the configuration options are not available like disabling searching from bing without setting the wireless connection to metered.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Windows 10 command prompt/powershell has some improvements to the UI. You can copy paste with ctrl-c and ctrl-v now!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Windows 10 command prompt/powershell has some improvements to the UI. You can copy paste with ctrl-c and ctrl-v now!

I can't tell if this is supposed to be a sarcastic post or not.

To be clear, I am glad you can copy/paste in a command prompt now. However, I think it's patently loving absurd that it's taken 5 major revisions and 15 years of the modern Windows OS to add this ability.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

You could always copy & paste with "quick edit" mode enabled, similar to X11 it is select to copy and right-click to paste.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MrMoo posted:

You could always copy & paste with "quick edit" mode enabled, similar to X11 it is select to copy and right-click to paste.

They also added wrapping for text selection. Way way overdue.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

lampey posted:

They replaced shadow copy with file history in windows 8. It uses a lot more disk space, but it works well for its intended task. I would not use windows image based backup and would use a third party program if this is what you wanted.
The windows 10 command prompt works with normal copy and paste now. The new start menu works great. Live updating tiles if you want it, but really it is just a more customizable start menu that doesn't take over the while screen. The windows 8 to 10 upgrade is very smooth. The only problem I have with the technical preview is that some of the configuration options are not available like disabling searching from bing without setting the wireless connection to metered.

The image based backup was simple, easy to use, and always worked for me on the same hardware so who knows why they hosed with it. :iiam:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is seriously amazing as this is my biggest complaint now that I am doing a lot of O365 admin work.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Now if we can just get that cut and paste into the vsphere console we're really see some poo poo!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bhodi posted:

Now if we can just get that cut and paste into the vsphere console we're really see some poo poo!

Isn't there a guy who works on that specific aspect of vSphere in the virtualization thread?

I'm guessing that they aren't going to do that because they want people to use the web interface :(

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, there is. It might be in a new version, or at least newer than I've got. I actually interviewed at VMWare and it was pretty interesting to hear the amount of friction between the group responsible for the web interface and the rest of the company (and world) - they got a LOT of flak for what they tried to get people to move to and it made waves pretty high up the chain. They were pretty frank about it too, it's all a big joke even if they can't say it publicly (I can, I never signed poo poo!)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ok thread, some advice please.

I've told my story here a few times, but I'll recap. I started as help desk in nov 2013. Even during the interview they mentioned a traveling position and asked if I'd be interested (I said yes). I've been training for it (more or less), doing on-site set up for two stores and two grand openings. Which basically is being on-site help desk, in case any IT poo poo breaks someone is there and able to respond quickly. Both grand openings went pretty goddamn flawlessly.

The problem is, I haven't gotten a promotion (it was basically supposed to be going to current stores and doing stuff on site when not doing new openings) or even a raise. I like the job, it's better than answering the goddamn phone at the very least.

So, now it's 2015. New stores are opening in March. They are opening two on the same day, so the plan is to have me do one (this is two separate trips to north Carolina, I work in West Virginia). They also recently announced a "hiring freeze". How do I go about talking to my manager about getting at the very least a raise, if not a promotion? It's not a job that only I can do, so I could probably be replaced fairly easily. I don't know that anyone that actually works there actually wants it, though. It's just setting up hardware, the training was mostly "this is how we like to have it done". I also had a talk with the same manager around June of last year, he said basically "keep working, you're next to get promoted, we don't have the traveling position in the budget until next year"

I went on an interview just before the new year but didn't get the job. Is "get a new job" the only answer?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well, you aren't going to be replaced very easily if they've announced a hiring freeze. That's actually in your benefit since they wouldn't be able to backfill your position and your manager would be screwed if you leave.

It sounds like you're already doing the work but without the pay. You're in a very strong bargaining position considering they've already slotted you for the work. It's time to revisit, aggressively, and if they don't go for it yeah it's new job time. I mean, they strung you along for 2 full years. You might as well ignore any promises they make to you at this point.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

myron cope posted:

I went on an interview just before the new year but didn't get the job. Is "get a new job" the only answer?

Just talk to the man, they're not going to fire you for asking for a raise as long as you phrase it professionally (as in, don't make threats or ultimatums or imply you're thinking about leaving). They could just be disorganized when it comes to this poo poo and need you to make them aware of what you're doing that's above and beyond your original job. Remind them that you talked about this in june, and that you'd like to talk about this position again.

But it sounds to me like they're jerking you around. Vague promises are a favored weapon for management with no intention of ever promoting anyone. If your responsibilities are increasing and/or you're getting more work done in the same amount of time than you used to, and they aren't reciprocating with better compensation, or they refuse to once you ask for it, then yeah, probably best to start looking for something new.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bhodi posted:

Pasting into consoles is actually an amazingly difficult problem, frustratingly.

It'd be less of a pain if there were an easily remappable hotkey (Super+C? I dunno) which could be guaranteed not to be used by the guest. Or a checkbox to intercept it, but then you'd need to uncheck and recheck it every time you needed to do it, and...

It's less of a technical problem and more of a "there's no way to do this without being really invasive and annoying" thing. Assuming that you can assure the clipboard data is plain text in an encoding which can be mapped out to raw keystrokes for the guest and it's not image data or something

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'd just like to figure out how to get KeePass to work correctly and consistently into vSphere. That'd fix a big chunk of my issues.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
On the subject of finally learning how to use the Windows command prompt/ps, I just learned that you can pipe output to clip.exe to copy it to your clipboard

"echo goonlord | clip.exe" like that :science:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Roargasm posted:

On the subject of finally learning how to use the Windows command prompt/ps, I just learned that you can pipe output to clip.exe to copy it to your clipboard

That's pretty nifty. I always direct all output to a text file and open that in Notepad++. :shobon:

"echo goonlord > Output.txt" Outputs to file and overwrite existing files.
"echo goonlord >> Output.txt" Outputs to file and appends to existing files.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Roargasm posted:

you just blew my mind

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Crowley posted:

"echo goonlord >> Output.txt" Outputs to file and appends to existing files.

Awesome thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Working in IT 3.0: Echo goonlord

(Not as good as the current title, but still making me laugh)