Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Exactly! We are in complete agreement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Now that's sorted we just need to agree what fetus based spells need to be included as standard in the next edition.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Exactly! We are in complete agreement

Yes, and I thought it was worth making the point that speaking descriptively and being clear that the answer isn't "no", it's "not in these circumstances" goes a long way towards doing this well.

Kitchner posted:

Now that's sorted we just need to agree what fetus based spells need to be included as standard in the next edition.

Please be zero please be zero please be zero :ohdear:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
What if you cast detect evil on your fetus and find out it's going to be the next Hitler?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
How late into the pregnancy does it have to be for a fetus to be affected by Charm Person?

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
Now, some people believe HP begins at conception...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've used similar approaches for when players tried to check the distinctive markings on a cultist's robes. I asked the player to describe the pattern of the logo on the robe, and the basic shape they gave me made me think "Moon God"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
My character got knocked down to 0 HP last night seemingly because I'm the only one who gets poo poo done mainly because I got crazy lucky

"There's some rubble and stuff blocking the tunnel"

"Yeah I start digging it out the way"

"I'm going to give you.. "

" Yeah I rolled 19"

"OK as the rubble starts to fall away make a perception check"

"Natural 20, so 24"

"OK so firstly you find two silver pieces in the dirt as you're digging. Then you see [stuff] "

"I'm going to sneak into the chamber"

"OK, make a stealth roll"

"Natural 20, so 24"

"Wow, alright well you see the dwarf start to sneak away, and then he melts into the shadows and you guys literally have no idea where he's gone"

(2 minutes later)

"I attack the main monster from the shadows with my two short swords"

"OK roll your attack"

"uhh the primary hand gets 15 total and the off hand was natural 20"

Followed by using sneak attack on the main monster for another 3 damage.

God drat dwarf dude.

Also what's the best way to using the Rogue's cunning action?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Use part of movement in to guy engaged with other melee man, shank, disengage as free action, finish moving away again.

Alternatively - depending on how you read the arcane trickster rules - sneak up to within 30 feet of enemy archer, cast mage hand, nick all his arrows.

goatface fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 21, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Can you disengage as your move then as your free action hide? Or does hiding in combat require you to be a certain distance away etc?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You need to be out of sight, I don't think there's any other requirement.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kitchner posted:

Can you disengage as your move

No, Disengage is an Action, like Attack or Cast a Spell. That's why Rogues being able to do it as a Bonus is kinda neat.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Generic Octopus posted:

No, Disengage is an Action, like Attack or Cast a Spell. That's why Rogues being able to do it as a Bonus is kinda neat.

OK so I could disengage, move, and then hide as my bonus action though?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kitchner posted:

does hiding in combat require you to be a certain distance away etc?

The PHB, in three different places posted:

When you take the Hide action, you make a Dexterity (Stealth) check in an attempt to hide, following the rules in chapter 7 for hiding. If you succeed, you gain certain benefits, as described in the “Unseen Attackers and Targets” section later in this chapter.

Stealth. Make a Dexterity (Stealth) check when you attempt to conceal yourself from enemies, slink past guards, slip away without being noticed, or sneak up on someone without being seen or heard.

Unseen Attackers and Targets
Combatants often try to escape their foes’ notice by hiding, casting the invisibility spell, or lurking in darkness.
When you attack a target that you can’t see, you have disadvantage on the attack roll. This is true whether you’re guessing the target’s location or you’re targeting a creature you can hear but not see. If the target isn’t in the location you targeted, you automatically miss, but the DM typically just says that the attack missed, not whether you guessed the target’s location correctly. When a creature can’t see you, you have advantage on attack rolls against it. If you are hidden—both unseen and unheard—when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses.

With no snark intended, it's up to your DM. Personally I'm a fan of the following interpretation:

not literally the ability to stand in an open space without being seen, but rather to take advantage of even the smallest concealment, camouflage or shadow to evade notice, or to move and act as if the Thief belongs there and so avoid attracting attention. In places where there is absolutely no cover or it is impossible for the Thief to blend in, the DM may apply penalties.

Kitchner posted:

Yes. Use Disengage as a Normal Action, then take your movement, then use Hide as a Bonus Action due to Cunning Action (or vice-versa, since Disengage can also be turned into a Bonus Action due to Cunning Action)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Stealth is one of those skills that, as a GM, I encourage people to make liberal use of during combat if they want to. It makes for a more interesting encounter. In an old campaign, the party was fighting orcs that ambushed them at night in a field. The halfling went prone and became effectively invisible in the tall grass, and was able to draw two orcs away from the main force, who wasted most of the fight trying to smash their weapons into the halfling's approximate position while the rest of the party cleaned up their buddies. Eventually, when he managed to move away from the orcs without them making their Listen check, he sprang up and Assassin's Creed-style murdered the bigger one.

Fights are a lot more interesting if the party wants to engage with stealth and cover.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kitchner posted:

You could, but since you're using your action to either hide or disengage, you're not attacking anything which kinda sucks.

You could also be a Warlock with 2 levels of rogue for the easiest stealth-play ever.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Cool thanks guys.

So what I should have probably done is attack from the shadows, do a bit of damage, disengage-move-hide, then attack from the shadows again.

Yeah it means I don't attack for a turn but it does mean that the monster would have struggled to hit me, and I would have exchanged 2 attacks for 1 with an advantage, which would probably be better against a high AC character.

At least, that's how I'm seeing this.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
There's not really any special reason for you to get in melee; you could toss daggers/shoot arrows from range while hiding every turn (going off the assumption hiding every turn is possible), getting advantage & sneak attack.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can even two-weapon fight with daggers from range. Endlessly if nobody gives a poo poo about counting how many knives you have.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

You can even two-weapon fight with daggers from range. Endlessly if nobody gives a poo poo about counting how many knives you have.

poo poo I didn't even think about that. I've got a set of 5 throwing darts I bought last session on a bandolier. So I'm able to throw two a turn?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kitchner posted:

poo poo I didn't even think about that. I've got a set of 5 throwing darts I bought last session on a bandolier. So I'm able to throw two a turn?

Yes. Use your Normal Action to Ranged Attack with a dart in your main-hand, then use your Bonus Action to Ranged Attack with a dart in your off-hand. The off-hand attack just won't get your DEX modifier to damage.

VVVVV uhh okay Goatface is probably right. And even if you could double-throw darts, I think strict reading also suggests you can only draw one dart on your next turn unless you have the Dual-Wielder feat.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 21, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Strict reading, no.

Darts, while finesse throwing weapons that weight 1/4 lb, are not light nor melee weapons, both of which are stated requirements for two weapon fighting.

It is apparently harder to throw a dart than it is a dagger, hand axe or light hammer.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

Strict reading, no.

Darts, while finesse throwing weapons that weight 1/4 lb, are not light nor melee weapons, both of which are stated requirements for two weapon fighting.

It is apparently harder to throw a dart than it is a dagger, hand axe or light hammer.

Right OK. So best trade in these darts for daggers.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Bear in mind of course that if you're using your Bonus action to twf, you can't then use cunning action to hide or disengage or whatever.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^Ugh, I'd forgotten about that as well.

Again, really depends on whether people care.

goatface fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 21, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kitchner posted:

Right OK. So best trade in these darts for daggers.

There's one more thing to consider:

The Other Activity on Your Turn section says "You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action. For example, you could open a door during your move as you stride toward a foe, or you could draw your weapon as part of the same action you use to attack. If you want to interact with a second object, you need to use your action."

The Dual Wielder feat says "You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one."

This would seem to suggest that without the Dual Wielder feat, you can throw two daggers on round 1, then on round 2 you can only draw one dagger and throw that.

And also what Generic Octopus said: since attacking with your off-hand uses your Bonus Action, it's going to interfere with Disengaging / Hiding

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

Bear in mind of course that if you're using your Bonus action to twf, you can't then use cunning action to hide or disengage or whatever.

It's still frequently a good option as you only need to hit once to trigger your entire sneak attack.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

neonchameleon posted:

It's still frequently a good option as you only need to hit once to trigger your entire sneak attack.

Indeed doubling your chances of sneak attacking is super helpful.

Battlemasters are also super helpful to Rogues if they have the Commanders Strike maneuver. As it will allow the rogue to attack twice in the same round, but not the same turn so they can got off even more sneak attack damage.

Edit: In some other news according to Mike Mearls twitter about the Elemental Evil stuff.

quote:

@CHoffos: @mikemearls Question can you tell us the reason why the EE Adventurers Handbook is not coming out anymore. Will we still get the material?
@mikemearls: @CHoffos yes, the material will be available in the free PDF download

‏@MerricB: @ChrisPerkinsDnD @mikemearls Do we have a page count for Princes of the Apocalypse yet?
@mikemearls: @MerricB @ChrisPerkinsDnD I *think* it's in the 256 - 320 range - can't remember off the top of my head

So it looks like we will be the material made for the Adventurers Handbook and that Princes of the Apocalypse is a pretty big book.

Edit: Greg Bilsland just confirmed that Princes of the Apocalypse is 256 pages.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 22, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

goatface posted:

^^Ugh, I'd forgotten about that as well.

Again, really depends on whether people care.

Yeah it was nice in the playtest when Cunning Action was just "you get an extra Action every turn, but can only use it to do XYZ."
Making it a Bonus Action was a huge nerf to TWF for Rogues.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
When you are scouting try using cunning action to kite enemies back to a trap or your party. Here's how it works.

Backstab something. You are now in combat. Disengage with your bonus action. Run away faster than they can catch up.

Edit: Actually I think you have to take one hit this way, because you can't flee faster than them unless you have all your actions available. Unless you are using a ranged weapon to backstab.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

DalaranJ posted:

When you are scouting try using cunning action to kite enemies back to a trap or your party. Here's how it works.

Backstab something. You are now in combat. Disengage with your bonus action. Run away faster than they can catch up.

Edit: Actually I think you have to take one hit this way, because you can't flee faster than them unless you have all your actions available. Unless you are using a ranged weapon to backstab.

I'm a dwarf so I don't think I can run faster than anything that can kill me.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I was just reading the PHB spell list and

quote:

You transform up to ten centipedes, three spiders, five wasps, or one scorpion within range into giant versions of their natural forms for the duration. A centipede becomes a giant centipede, a spider becomes a giant spider, a wasp becomes a giant wasp, and a scorpion becomes a giant scorpion.

Natural language :bravo:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Boing posted:

Hey that's important stuff. I don't want my centipedes turning into giant centipedes if they're supposed to turn into megalocentipedes.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

You'd be fine because if you're stabbing a dude and starting combat, presumably your rogueness means the enemy is surprised so you get a full turn/round to do whatever and they can't react. Don't even need to Disengage.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Boing posted:

So what's the exchange rate on these critters? Can I have eight centipedes and a wasp? Two wasps, a spider, and three centipedes? Should we measure all vermin in terms of centipedes? Does that make centipedes a new form of currency?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kitchner posted:

I'm a dwarf so I don't think I can run faster than anything that can kill me.

Oh, right, sorry.

You can actually run faster than a lot of things, but unlike a larger rogue the limit of what you can run from is no longer 'a small horse' so I wouldn't press my luck.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Indeed doubling your chances of sneak attacking is super helpful.

Sneak attack is still limited to 1/turn.

More like thieves can't.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

moths posted:

Sneak attack is still limited to 1/turn.

More like thieves can't.

The point there is that if you miss there's no sneak attack happening, so you're adding insurance for actually getting that bonus damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

isndl posted:

So what's the exchange rate on these critters? Can I have eight centipedes and a wasp? Two wasps, a spider, and three centipedes? Should we measure all vermin in terms of centipedes? Does that make centipedes a new form of currency?

I can see some benefits in pushing for this, but I'm not sure it's worth it since as soon as centipedes are currency you can't just pull them out of your component pouch any more.