Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Titus Sardonicus posted:

So true. Sometimes I think maybe I should just stick to my principles and enroll her in a public school because it's just the right thing to do re: civic duty, and fight for the quality of the schools themselves, all the while, hoping that my wife and I (and the community as a whole, "it takes a village," etc.) can do a good job enriching her and filling in the gaps. But that's just too idealistic then, isn't it?

No, it isn't. For most of my childhood my dad was an automechanic and my mom was an unemployed stay at home mom. I still graduated at 16 and was accepted into the honors program at a major private university despite going to public schools because my parents encouraged me to read and learn on my own time, visit museums in the city, go to academic lectures(we live somewhat near Fermilab), etc. If my parents could do it out in the country on a single salary most of the time, I'm sure two college educated parents working in academia can pull it off. It just takes encouragement, support and even just the smallest amount of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

(courtesy of GoComics)

The MLK twist is the only bit with any hint of originality, and is also terrible.

(and hahaha, there's not a joke in this world that The New Yorker cartoonists can't butcher)
I knew I recognized that Far Side strip. Man when will we be allow to post Far Side strips online Gary, the internet isn't going to cause you to lose money or whatever it is that makes you want to not have people post your work online.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

(courtesy of GoComics)

The MLK twist is the only bit with any hint of originality, and is also terrible.

(and hahaha, there's not a joke in this world that The New Yorker cartoonists can't butcher)

It's ... disturbing seeing my Gocomics comment quoted in here. (Yes, I'm a Gocomics commenter, don't judge me.)

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Selachian posted:

It's ... disturbing seeing my Gocomics comment quoted in here. (Yes, I'm a Gocomics commenter, don't judge me.)

Did you just doxx yourself?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Chilcot inquiry – Cabinet secretary, who agreed only to redacted Bush and Blair exchanges in Iraq war, to explain post-election publication"

Telegraph:

[Based on Tony Blair's claim that The document discloses that his[Saddam's] military planning allows for some of the WMD to be ready within 45 minutes of an order to use them.]

Independent:

Yesterday's Times:

Yesterday's Mail:

'I know you're angry, Sadie, love. But it's just the wrong time of the year to protest.'
:nws:Yeah, about that story...:nws:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Yesterday's Mail:

'I know you're angry, Sadie, love. But it's just the wrong time of the year to protest.'
:nws:Yeah, about that story...:nws:

I'm really confused, what's going on here?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Titus Sardonicus posted:

So true. Sometimes I think maybe I should just stick to my principles and enroll her in a public school because it's just the right thing to do re: civic duty, and fight for the quality of the schools themselves, all the while, hoping that my wife and I (and the community as a whole, "it takes a village," etc.) can do a good job enriching her and filling in the gaps. But that's just too idealistic then, isn't it?

The school still gets the taxes you pay whether you send your child there or not. I really don't understand why people think sending their kids to private schools takes anything away from public schools. They might lose some federal and state per capita subsidies, but those would have gone toward your child anyway, and the rest of the local tax resources your child would have used can go to other kids whose parents can't afford to send them to private schools. I really don't know what you people and Ted Rall are talking about. The school does not lose a drat thing! They arguably gain something, as long as you don't become a complete poo poo and start voting against funding or supporting politicians who want to cut it.

Also, if you move to a district because of its superior, well-funded public schools, then you are arguably making the problem a lot worse.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

No, it isn't. For most of my childhood my dad was an automechanic and my mom was an unemployed stay at home mom. I still graduated at 16 and was accepted into the honors program at a major private university despite going to public schools because my parents encouraged me to read and learn on my own time, visit museums in the city, go to academic lectures(we live somewhat near Fermilab), etc. If my parents could do it out in the country on a single salary most of the time, I'm sure two college educated parents working in academia can pull it off. It just takes encouragement, support and even just the smallest amount of effort.

That's great, but 1) if it happened before NCLB then it's totally irrelevant and 2) some public schools are pretty good, some are complete poo poo, maybe you were lucky and lived in a decent district. One thing they have a lot more of these days, though, is hours upon hours of mandated proficiency testing, and days upon days of test prep that has little educational value. In most states, private schools are exempt from the bulk of this (because the whole point of the testing is to evaluate the schools for funding and administrative purposes).

I'm not saying everyone should send their kids to private schools, but if your school district is broken and you can afford a good private school, you shouldn't feel like you have some obligation to "support" your public school. You can support them by not voting like an rear end in a top hat.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm really confused, what's going on here?

The Sun tabloid in Britain (a terrible newspaper and the flagship of Rupert Murdoch's awful empire) has for decades included a picture of a topless model on its third page (i.e. the one you see as soon as you open the front cover). They recently announced they're going to stop doing that (because it's terrible). That tweet is really confusing though, maybe they have decided to keep doing it after all?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

The school still gets the taxes you pay whether you send your child there or not. I really don't understand why people think sending their kids to private schools takes anything away from public schools. They might lose some federal and state per capita subsidies, but those would have gone toward your child anyway, and the rest of the local tax resources your child would have used can go to other kids whose parents can't afford to send them to private schools. I really don't know what you people and Ted Rall are talking about. The school does not lose a drat thing! They arguably gain something, as long as you don't become a complete poo poo and start voting against funding or supporting politicians who want to cut it.

Everyone does this immediately, though.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

That's great, but 1) if it happened before NCLB then it's totally irrelevant and 2) some public schools are pretty good, some are complete poo poo, maybe you were lucky and lived in a decent district. One thing they have a lot more of these days, though, is hours upon hours of mandated proficiency testing, and days upon days of test prep that has little educational value. In most states, private schools are exempt from the bulk of this (because the whole point of the testing is to evaluate the schools for funding and administrative purposes).

NCLB was enacted when I was starting middle school, IIRC, and hell no it wasn't a good school district. My school celebrated(we had a literal celebration assembly about it) when our average ACT score went up to 18 and we were using portable trailers as classrooms that hadn't been certified to be used as classrooms for years. We had creationist biology teachers(except one, who was probably the best teacher we had), a Christian club that prayed around the flag every morning, all kinds of hick bullshit. I'm fairly sure we were one of the lowest $/student school districts in Illinois, even including inner city Chicago schools.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Those women want to be Page 3 models, and are protesting for the boobie pictures to come back. But they're topless, and it's cold, and poor Sadie's frozen solid!

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

TheDarkFlame posted:

Wow. That's great, look at how confident and commanding they look, true patriots the both of them. You know if you flipped to the front of that book Ryan is holding, it'd be "How To gently caress Your Country For Fun And Profit".

Or maybe it's an entirely different sort of manifesto.

:getin:

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
I assume "H.B.D.W" in that drinky duck cartoon stands for "Happy Birthday (somebody)." Whatever it stands for, that and "Squirrel Appreciation Day" are apparently more noteworthy than MLK day for Tinsley, year after year.

I usually work on MLK day, and for years we had a horrible client who would call every Jan. 19 to wish us "Happy Martin Luther n***** Day." The calls finally stopped last year; I think the guy's dead.

Social evolution at work. Maybe this is what it will take for the goddamn annual squirrel cartoons to finally stop.

bitey fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 22, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I knew I recognized that Far Side strip. Man when will we be allow to post Far Side strips online Gary, the internet isn't going to cause you to lose money or whatever it is that makes you want to not have people post your work online.

Get this - you can post it and there's not a lot Gary can do to stop you

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

God they got got so good.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

I mean, I guess not everyone's cut out to be a musicologist, but I don't really get how that fits with the "joke."

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Lemming posted:

Everyone does this immediately, though.

No, they don't. You want to see FYGM, see the people who move to wealthy white exurbs and take their tax revenues with them.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Or maybe it's an entirely different sort of manifesto.

:getin:

I would love to see that 689 reasons to defeat Obama list.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
"Help me, Black Zed, my tits are falling off"

Seriously, whose art is degrading faster, Muir's or Kirschen's?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I would love to see that 689 reasons to defeat Obama list.

DID SOMEBODY SAY 689??

And Harry on the State of the Union:

TheDarkFlame posted:

"Help me, Black Zed, my tits are falling off"

Seriously, whose art is degrading faster, Muir's or Kirschen's?

Weirdly, I think Kirschen's art has actually gotten better since his stroke.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Race isn't a problem in this country because Muir likes cream in his coffee? Is that really what he's saying? :psyduck:
Well I like my coffee black, therefore I'm the real racist, I guess.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Race isn't a problem in this country because Muir likes cream in his coffee? Is that really what he's saying? :psyduck:
Well I like my coffee black, therefore I'm the real racist, I guess.

If you acknowledge a racial divide in America, you're a racist.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think somebody makes a joke exactly like this every goddamn year.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

loquacius posted:

I think somebody makes a joke exactly like this every goddamn year.

It's more like the Biden Ryan debate cartoons. Biden makes a mockery of Ryan and the next day all the usual suspects were choking on their own bile with a "LOL Biden the gaffe clown LOL." cartoon.

When republicans burn democrats it means they are de-legitimizing their entire platform, but when democrats burn republicans it's a slap in the face to bipartisanship.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looks like somebody is mad the Republicans got roasted by the campaigns remark lol

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
gently caress off, Ramirez. They're all so frustrated that, despite their best efforts, America under Obama is producing some pretty nice-looking figures and he had a lot of good news to report in the State of the Union.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Sorry Damon. Someone swapped your mocha for purple drank.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

gently caress off, Ramirez. They're all so frustrated that, despite their best efforts, America under Obama is producing some pretty nice-looking figures and he had a lot of good news to report in the State of the Union.

No you see, Obama's corrupt bureaucrats fudged all those numbers, and they don't account for the real unemployment rate, and Obama lied about everything, and all the good stuff is because of the Republican Congress anyway, and furthermore pig balls.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

Those women want to be Page 3 models, and are protesting for the boobie pictures to come back. But they're topless, and it's cold, and poor Sadie's frozen solid!
See it's funny because women who model nude are literally incapable of wearing clothing at any time. I think it's a clause in their contract.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I think this is the first time we have seen whoever that is from the front, not looking smugly upwards, and with their eyes open. It might as well be a completely new character.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Latest from Ted Rall

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My god, his caption addiction has gone to a whole new level.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Look at that extra space there, you know he wrote "my balls" and his editor told him to change it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I almost want to see what he'd suggest would improve the situation.

Almost.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

WarpedNaba posted:

Almost.

if the dayton newspaper employed a political cartoonist, it would show dayton's commitment to arts and culture, and would attract people from far and wide to it's amazing marvels, quickly becoming a city to rival paris or berlin

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

MissEchelon posted:

I like this one

Me too. Not sure about the symbolism though - if that's a Canuck Maple Leaf Butterfly it should be trapped in the Stars and Stripes bottle along with the Aussie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Almost.

He... he did? He mentioned selling the buildings on the cheap to people who would be willing to renovate them and not tear them down, and cites that as having worked previously.

• Locked thread