Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Rincewinds posted:

Is it bad of me to think that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Then again, now that the distinction have been made, it does seem to be not just a cigar.

I was a bit harsh before, don't feel bad; it's in ancient-joke camouflage and your brain naturally tries to save you from looking at a thing you've seen a hundred times before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

:effort:

Incisive commentary here.

I don't care if nobody else said anything and it's low effort. I appreciated this edit.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That guy on the bench is actually the mastermind behind the attacks in Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds, as well as the previous, similar attack which occurred in Daphne DuMaurier's short story upon which it is based.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

Cadburry is still popular, so

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH ABOUT CADBURY'S CHOCOLATE

Bad enough it's not really Cadbury anmore.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Rincewinds posted:

Is it bad of me to think that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Then again, now that the distinction have been made, it does seem to be not just a cigar.

Sometimes a cigar really is a giant dick substitute

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

(Indolent Bastard)
Crosspost from the Newspaper Comics thread of Mike Lester's terrible comic strip. No one seems to have noticed yet that this is more than a lazy "man-eating pigeons" gag.

I, too, remember how social services for impoverished citizens lead to America being consumed by pigeons.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Not My Leg posted:

I don't care if nobody else said anything and it's low effort. I appreciated this edit.

Thanks. That slipped right by me the first time.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Keep in mind that newspaper cartoonists tend to have colorists that aren't the creator.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Not My Leg posted:

:3: thank you kindly.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Good to know that Gamergate is not and has never been unique.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

Keep in mind that newspaper cartoonists tend to have colorists that aren't the creator.

I'm curious as to how you think the intended message could have been deleteriously altered by a rogue colorist. But I'm even more curious as to why you appear to be going to bat for Mike "gently caress You, Got My Chick-fil-A" Lester. You've changed, man. It's like I don't even know who Rorus Raz is anymore. I can't believe this corrupt earth.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Rorus Raz posted:

Sunday strips are normally colored by the creator. The daily ones are often done by third party people.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

This qualifies as "edgy" for JRROSE!.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

This qualifies as "edgy" for JRROSE!.

I'll say! Everybody knows that song was originally by Buddy Holly and the Crickets!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I just think that this is too subtle for Lester, and he has his political cartoons to be a racist.

It's not like the lack of a message in that cartoon makes him any less of a shitlord.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
I think it's pretty clear that Lester's got some internalized bigotry and it's leaking out here in a weird way that he probably doesn't even perceive. I think you're right in that his intent for the strip probably went no further than "MLK nice man. He died. It sad," but you're giving him far too much credit by refusing the possibility of the strip being subtly, unintentionally indicative of his internal hellscape.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

The canuck dollar is in freefall cause of the oil bust.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

I just think that this is too subtle for Lester, and he has his political cartoons to be a racist.

It's not like the lack of a message in that cartoon makes him any less of a shitlord.

Dude it's a flock of black and white pigeons mixed together. Pigeons are gray Rorus. If there was no intent behind it they would just be a flock of plain rear end pigeons.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

In the hands of someone who, say, isn't a complete racist, I'd interpret the cartoon as MLK belongs to us all now, white and black. Or racial discord has enveloped MLK's message.

Because it's Lester, my guess is that the message is Ha ha, I made MLK get eaten. Lester hasn't earned the benefit of any doubt.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*in voice of old drunk dude from The Birds, raising glass*

It's the end of the thread!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'll note here that all of your interpretations are good, really. And yeah, blatantly obvious racism from Lester is easy to find elsewhere.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Please keep doing these, they actually make this terrible comic palatable and fun :)

The common American voter is an unapologetic thug and rapist?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

D.N. Nation posted:

I'll note here that all of your interpretations are good, really. And yeah, blatantly obvious racism from Lester is easy to find elsewhere.

How Birds Really Work

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Jerusalem posted:

The common American voter is an unapologetic thug and rapist?
Those undeveloped countries was asking for it, flaunting their oil.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
That pigeons eat a guy cartoon has def been done before, drat near panel for panel. I'm thinking maybe by Rodriques or Addams or MK Brown, but I know I've seen it before.

That's not to shout intentional plagarism, just sayin' that it's been done.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

D.N. Nation posted:

e: Also, come on, the guy's also a fan of the National Review, which gave us this entirely objective, totally not-cheerleady cover:

Wow. That's great, look at how confident and commanding they look, true patriots the both of them. You know if you flipped to the front of that book Ryan is holding, it'd be "How To gently caress Your Country For Fun And Profit".

Vogon Poet posted:

I brought this up last year, but I think it's worth repeating. Squirrel Appreciation Day is an actual (very obscure) holiday, and considering that Tinsley does do non-political gag strips from time to time, I find it quite plausible that he started doing Squirrel Appreciation Day strips as a silly gag and was too stupid to realize the coincident timing with MLK Day. (Also, he's been doing these strips every year for at least a few years, and the first time he did it Squirrel Appreciation Day was not the same day as MLK Day. It was later, when they did fall on the same day, that people here first got up in arms about it.) Now, I can't say for sure either way, but when there are so many times that Tinsley is definitely an rear end in a top hat I don't think it's necessary to attack him for something where he's only maybe being an rear end in a top hat.

I am almost certain he did a squirrel-themed "I Have A Dream" comic. Or was that someone else? I'm sure it's a Fillmore comic. I did try to find it but I could only find his other squirrel day nonsense. Oh, and this loving charming cartoon:

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
I'm 90% positive I've seen that exact pigeon joke in another comic somewhere. It has kind of an Addams Family vibe to it.

e: yeah what dee eight said

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Arthur Crackpot posted:

I'm 90% positive I've seen that exact pigeon joke in another comic somewhere. It has kind of an Addams Family vibe to it.

e: yeah what dee eight said

Because it's been done a billion times before.

There's ancient pictographs depicting a caveman on a stone bench disappearing into a flock of proto-pigeons

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

TheDarkFlame posted:

Wow. That's great, look at how confident and commanding they look, true patriots the both of them. You know if you flipped to the front of that book Ryan is holding, it'd be "How To gently caress Your Country For Fun And Profit".
I'm pretty sure that is actually a binder. Possibly one that is full of women.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

xthetenth posted:

If you feed the poor they'll eat you alive.

Yet another sucking up to the rich because it lets us feel superior to those poors cartoon.

Yeah, this is basically what I got out of it. Man on the Left gives free food (welfare) to pigeons (poors). This causes more and more pigeons to attach themselves to the man, demanding his food faster than he can give it, until eventually they consume him. We should all be like Man on the Right, and never make the mistake of giving handouts to pigeons.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

dee eight posted:

That pigeons eat a guy cartoon has def been done before, drat near panel for panel. I'm thinking maybe by Rodriques or Addams or MK Brown, but I know I've seen it before.

That's not to shout intentional plagarism, just sayin' that it's been done.

(courtesy of GoComics)

The MLK twist is the only bit with any hint of originality, and is also terrible.

(and hahaha, there's not a joke in this world that The New Yorker cartoonists can't butcher)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Karnegal posted:

I think the argument that he's making is that middle to upper-middle class whites can either fight to improve the failing public school system or just jump ship and send their kids to private school. In essence, the schools are getting worse because the people who could facilitate change are pulling their kids out of them.

I think that this is a bullshit argument because using your kids to make a political point is a total shitbag move. It also assumes that you can't send your kid to a private school while also advocating for improvements to the public school system.

My wife and I both went to public school. We grew up in rural towns and pretty much everyone else we knew had also gone to public school. However by the time we got to our PhD programs fewer and fewer of our friends and colleagues had ever attended public school. It's been pretty obvious to us that a good private school gives you way more opportunity than a public school. We have friends who were working in labs at top universities over the summer while in high school whereas I didn't even know that grad school existed when I was in high school. Add to that, as someone who taught at a big 10 school, I could see a clear difference in preparation between students who went to public vs. private school. When my wife and I have kids we'll probably send them to private school if it's at all possible because we have seen the obvious advantage that comes with that.

At the same time, we're both pretty vocal about changes being needed in the US education system, and we certainly vote for candidates that aren't trying to gently caress over the poor. But I'm not going to send my kids to a lovely school and hope that my being loud about the problems there will change them in time to make a meaningful impact on my kids' education.

A few pages ago, but I'm still catching up:

I've been feeling a great deal of cognitive dissonance over this issue myself. I'm in the same boat (finishing my PhD this spring, though my wife is still kind of restarting her university trajectory), and while my colleagues were graduates of the public system, we all feel the same way. My lab mate and I are big advocates for public education and I know I always will be, but we feel a great deal of trepidation about sending our own kids to a public school, especially when big chunks of the curriculum are being broken off or severely deprecated.

My wife is turned off by public schools altogether (though some of that can be chalked up to severe anxiety and paranoia over perceived safety issues). Our daughter looks like she's really bright, but she also highly energetic, even for a two-year-old, and we're worried that what we believe is boredom and a need to explore is going to be seen as hyperactivity, so the kid is just going to be neglected and brushed off as yet another ADHD statistic.

So I'm worried, yeah. I want my daughter to go to a public school and get to know the experiences of people across a diverse demographic, and I want her to appreciate the struggles that other families (and that we ourselves currently) experience. But I know that she's not going to be given the opportunities she will inevitably need. I don't want to be a goddamn hypocrite.

I'm glad you posted this, I don't feel like there are that many people to talk to about this sort of thing.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

(courtesy of GoComics)

And Franquin did it, late 70s I think.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Titus Sardonicus posted:

A few pages ago, but I'm still catching up:

I've been feeling a great deal of cognitive dissonance over this issue myself. I'm in the same boat (finishing my PhD this spring, though my wife is still kind of restarting her university trajectory), and while my colleagues were graduates of the public system, we all feel the same way. My lab mate and I are big advocates for public education and I know I always will be, but we feel a great deal of trepidation about sending our own kids to a public school, especially when big chunks of the curriculum are being broken off or severely deprecated.

My wife is turned off by public schools altogether (though some of that can be chalked up to severe anxiety and paranoia over perceived safety issues). Our daughter looks like she's really bright, but she also highly energetic, even for a two-year-old, and we're worried that what we believe is boredom and a need to explore is going to be seen as hyperactivity, so the kid is just going to be neglected and brushed off as yet another ADHD statistic.

So I'm worried, yeah. I want my daughter to go to a public school and get to know the experiences of people across a diverse demographic, and I want her to appreciate the struggles that other families (and that we ourselves currently) experience. But I know that she's not going to be given the opportunities she will inevitably need. I don't want to be a goddamn hypocrite.

I'm glad you posted this, I don't feel like there are that many people to talk to about this sort of thing.

It's one of those dilemmas where individuals making the rational choice for themselves leads to worse outcomes in aggregate. The only way to reverse it will require coordination.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Cruel and Unusual posted:

It's one of those dilemmas where individuals making the rational choice for themselves leads to worse outcomes in aggregate. The only way to reverse it will require coordination.

So true. Sometimes I think maybe I should just stick to my principles and enroll her in a public school because it's just the right thing to do re: civic duty, and fight for the quality of the schools themselves, all the while, hoping that my wife and I (and the community as a whole, "it takes a village," etc.) can do a good job enriching her and filling in the gaps. But that's just too idealistic then, isn't it?

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

I didnt know Joseph Gordon-Levitt ran with Romney

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Count Canuckula posted:

I didnt know Joseph Gordon-Levitt ran with Romney

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tardigrade posted: