Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Paragon8 posted:

that's all anyone does. chase how to do a particular thing you like and then you end up developing a style along the way.

just research and study photography you like as much as possible.

remember it's valuable to be able to filter feedback as well.

“You start out imitating your heroes, and the way you gently caress up becomes your style.” - Elvis Costello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Ha, that's a great quote.

I think more than finding your style in photography it's actually about finding your vision. What are you trying to say with your photos, or what kind of mood are you trying to capture? Or if you don't approach it with artistic expression in mind then do you want to get great photos of your family and friends? Do lots of that. Do you want to make hyper-coloured photos of glowing sunsets? Don't do that.

Also buy photobooks (if you have the budget) by the masters of what you are really into. And go to exhibitions if you can.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

also alkanphel and sludgetank

I almost said Alkanphel but I double-checked his flickr and he's got a lot of stuff that doesn't look like his usual stuff so I didn't but I don't disagree. I don't know who sludgetank is. Also I can't remember who takes the loving amazing photos of zoo animals but add that person too because I've never seen wildlife photography like theirs.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

deaders posted:

Also buy photobooks (if you have the budget) by the masters of what you are really into. And go to exhibitions if you can.

This especially. Basically find photographers that died before facebook/instagram was a thing.

One of the bigger issues I see with photography is how social media has elevated some photographers so hugely that amateurs and enthusiasts end up just seeing those few people rather than digging deeper and finding incredible photographers who are overshadowed by the current culture of photography consumption.

The Costello quote is brilliant and it really rings true. Like if you find a guy who tones their pictures just so and you dick around for hours trying to get the curves just right and then you're like hey this is actually pretty cool and I quite like this rather than what I was initially trying for.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I almost said Alkanphel but I double-checked his flickr and he's got a lot of stuff that doesn't look like his usual stuff so I didn't but I don't disagree. I don't know who sludgetank is. Also I can't remember who takes the loving amazing photos of zoo animals but add that person too because I've never seen wildlife photography like theirs.

William Hornady or something similar, sorry for not getting your name right.

Also seconding deaders, go to photo exhibitions! As many as you can. Also if it's a small venue/unknown artist. Talk to them!!! And no gear-chat. Gear-chat is fine to break the ice, but you wanna ask them other stuff. Like which photos they like most, why, how they think of this show etc.? Much more interesting.

Photobooks are nice, but I find them sometimes to be a bit confining, for the lack of a better word. It's just their best strung together at times. Sometimes that relentless perfection becomes boring to me. I'm curious about the pictures that made them (or us) go "hmm.", too.

Keeping that in mind, ultimately you should be taking photos only for yourself. That doesn't mean you should reject outside ideas, influences or suggestions for improvement, but if your pictures do not please yourself -- change something. If you're not shooting for yourself but for an audience or other perceived goals, and are not or -- do not want to become a professional photographer I'd sincerely suggest you try something besides photography.

Rilke said it best in his letters to a young poet, if I could make you stop writing and you feel as you would die -- write. If not, maybe you should pursue something else that will give you this sensation.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Semi related to this: I think I've learned more about what makes a good photo from editing photos out of my portfolio than editing them in.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

dakana posted:

Semi related to this: I think I've learned more about what makes a good photo from editing photos out of my portfolio than editing them in.

Editing other peoples' photos is a great way to learn things. Also letting them edit your work and seeing how they would do it differently.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Haha my Flickr is full of random and experimental stuff, I put most of my usual stuff on my website. I think it's good to keep experimenting even while shooting our usual stuff so that we don't get too stale. And sometimes, what you experiment with do make their way into your established style and that helps to evolve it.

And to second what you and Dakana said, curating and sequencing photographs is a really key part of learning. Asking why someone else picked a different photo or sequenced it differently helps to broaden possibilities, even if you don't agree with their choices.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Ira Glass sums up a lot of the stuff posted here pretty well.

http://vimeo.com/85040589

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
The Helsinki Bus Station Theory is something that I always like to revisit whenever I'm feeling a bit lost. It hits a lot of the same points that the Ira Glass quote does.

And thanks to Mr. M and VOL for the shout out. Personally, I hate the vast majority of the photos that I've put out there. I'm an insufferable perfectionist in most aspects of my life, and even when I somehow manage to convince myself that a photo looks acceptable (sometimes even decent) and end up sharing it, I will still continue to beat myself up over the fact that I'm not 100% satisfied with it and harbor anxiety that those flaws are equally apparent (and displeasing) to everyone else. My hope is that someday that all the photos currently in my Flickr stream will be eventually swallowed up by a flood of even better photos and if by chance someone does dig deep enough to find them, will simply shrug and say, 'well, he was just starting out back then.'
The one thing that I guess I can take solace in is the bus station analogy and the fact that at the very least my style is fairly unique. Granted, I'm not at all satisfied with it and it's not really a consistent style, but I feel like I can kinda claim it as mine. I need to work very hard on refining and perfecting it, but it is nice to have an identifiable direction. And it helps that it's a hobby. I don't have to worry about the client satisfaction or cultivating business or keeping my head above water financially; it's mine to do with however I want.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Who has a 3D printer?

http://www.thingiverse.com/tag:Nikon/page:1

Looks like there is somewhat useful stuff in there. Various flash diffusers, flash grids, rear lens caps, lens cap holders, macro spacers, eyepiece caps, some lens hoods, reverse macro adapters, shoulder mounts, a holder for using the camera as a film scanner, pinhole lenses, a welding glass holder, and more.

I'll add to the discussion about finding the work of others that you appreciate that I enjoy browsing flickr to look for stuff that is not poo poo. There are some good, curated groups out there. Also, I'll occasionally stumble on a gallery someone has made of stuff I enjoy.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
One thing I like about Flickr is that a user's favorite'd images are right there on their profile page. Other sites like instagram or tumblr kind of hide them because they're mostly used to generate reciprocal likes (#like4like) instead of actually, y'know, liking something.

My point is that I enjoy looking through a flickr user's Favorites as much as their own photostream and IMO that's the best way to find 'curated' work outside of group pools. It's the best way of finding new flickr users worth following.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

William T. Hornaday posted:

The Helsinki Bus Station Theory is something that I always like to revisit whenever I'm feeling a bit lost. It hits a lot of the same points that the Ira Glass quote does.

And thanks to Mr. M and VOL for the shout out. Personally, I hate the vast majority of the photos that I've put out there. I'm an insufferable perfectionist in most aspects of my life, and even when I somehow manage to convince myself that a photo looks acceptable (sometimes even decent) and end up sharing it, I will still continue to beat myself up over the fact that I'm not 100% satisfied with it and harbor anxiety that those flaws are equally apparent (and displeasing) to everyone else. My hope is that someday that all the photos currently in my Flickr stream will be eventually swallowed up by a flood of even better photos and if by chance someone does dig deep enough to find them, will simply shrug and say, 'well, he was just starting out back then.'
The one thing that I guess I can take solace in is the bus station analogy and the fact that at the very least my style is fairly unique. Granted, I'm not at all satisfied with it and it's not really a consistent style, but I feel like I can kinda claim it as mine. I need to work very hard on refining and perfecting it, but it is nice to have an identifiable direction. And it helps that it's a hobby. I don't have to worry about the client satisfaction or cultivating business or keeping my head above water financially; it's mine to do with however I want.

That's nice I hadn't read that before. Years ago I saw a picture of Great Falls in Virginia done by Don Yoshida. It may have been this one, but he's got quite a few in his set and they're all fairly similar so I'm not sure. Anyway I called up one of my photo-friends and was like "Hey check out this cool picture Don Yoshida took, lets go down to Great Falls and take some pictures". And he came with me because why not but he did initially say something to the effect of "I'm not into taking pictures that other people already took". Which affected me for far longer than it should have and is a total bullshit thing to say. gently caress that. I don't care how many people took a picture already. I can still take a similar one and enjoy doing it. And coming to that realization that picture taking is something I do for me was really important for me. I really don't give a poo poo if my work is derivative and there are a thousand photographers who took a better picture of the same subject that I did. I'm not gonna get any better or produce any pictures by not taking photos because someone else already did.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll take the same pictures as other people as a way to measure myself, get a feel for if I'm improving at all (sad news: I'm not).

Also it's a lot more fun to have a picture I took on my wall than someone else's. It makes the conversation when someone asks about it a lot more interesting at least.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dren posted:

And coming to that realization that picture taking is something I do for me was really important for me. I really don't give a poo poo if my work is derivative and there are a thousand photographers who took a better picture of the same subject that I did. I'm not gonna get any better or produce any pictures by not taking photos because someone else already did.
This. So much this. Some of my favorite pictures that I've taken were of things I thought at the time very few other people had done. Then I saw lots of very similar photos by other people, but I still like the pictures I took. And when I take photos that I know a zillion other people have already done, I know I can easily compare my work to that vast library and work out what I'd like to do next time.

Photography is iterative. You might never get that exact shot again - especially in the realm of nature / wildlife photography that I spend most of my effort on - but you'll have plenty of very similar opportunities in the future to apply what you're learning every time you pick up your camera.

Shoot more. Worry less.

xzzy posted:

Also it's a lot more fun to have a picture I took on my wall than someone else's. It makes the conversation when someone asks about it a lot more interesting at least.
Also this. I have mostly stuff by other people on my walls, but having some of my own around I can point to is great.

Speaking of, who's going to run a print exchange soon?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Trying a bit of everything within photography taught me a lot of technical skills, but it pretty much just lead to anxiety about how meaningless the results felt. Ultimately, I was trying to entertain others and it just left me feeling empty. I've since been trying to keep everything I shoot as emotionally honest as possible and tossing aesthetics aside when the results don't resonate with me. I really don't know if anyone will like my photos, but the gap of inconsistency has narrowed considerably and I finally feel like I'm making real progress.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

try it with a lime posted:

Trying a bit of everything within photography taught me a lot of technical skills, but it pretty much just lead to anxiety about how meaningless the results felt. Ultimately, I was trying to entertain others and it just left me feeling empty. I've since been trying to keep everything I shoot as emotionally honest as possible and tossing aesthetics aside when the results don't resonate with me. I really don't know if anyone will like my photos, but the gap of inconsistency has narrowed considerably and I finally feel like I'm making real progress.

I think this is a great perspective. I know personally I feel like my work improved when I stopped trying to shoot what I thought other people wanted me to shoot.

Self reflection is really the best way to progress but I think you need to be a certain kind of person because there's plenty of people who genuinely think their HDR polished turds are the best.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Paragon8 posted:

there's plenty of people who genuinely think their HDR polished turds are the best.

:rip: Bart

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Sports Illustrated decided photographers are worthless garbage:
https://nppa.org/node/69374

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Spedman posted:

Sports Illustrated decided photographers are worthless garbage:
https://nppa.org/node/69374

It's not that they've decided they're worthless garbage just that they can get the same coverage without paying benefits by moving to freelance contracts. Just like a whole hell of a lot of places.

This sucks a lot and I hope these guys had some heads up. I honestly didn't realize any magazines still maintained staff photographers anymore.

What's frustrating and deeply sad is that there is still huge demand for iconic imagery everywhere, just that facebook, reddit or imgur get the ad revenue when someone scrapes an image from somewhere else for karma or likes.

It would be great if these guys refused to cover the super bowl as some kind of protest but SI would just use freelancers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dude points a high framerate camera at an SLR, releases shutter. It's kind of neat to see in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjeCchGRQo

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I don't know if this has been posting anywhere but I was checking Google+ (a once or twice a month affair) and saw this free DxO OpticsPro 8 link being posted http://www.dxo.com/intl/dphotographer

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

JHVH-1 posted:

I don't know if this has been posting anywhere but I was checking Google+ (a once or twice a month affair) and saw this free DxO OpticsPro 8 link being posted http://www.dxo.com/intl/dphotographer

is it worth a poo poo?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

xzzy posted:

Dude points a high framerate camera at an SLR, releases shutter. It's kind of neat to see in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjeCchGRQo

This is really cool. Thanks for posting the link.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Pukestain Pal posted:

is it worth a poo poo?

I pointed it at some Nikon raw files and browsed the side by side processing and it seems ok. Doesn't support everything though.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I still don't know if $100 is too high or too low but this is cool. Somebody in LA pick up some Larry Clark prints.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/we-went-there-sifting-through-a-career-at-the-larry-clark-100-photo-sale-in-los-angeles/

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good luck devinthumbs :cheers:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

Good luck devinthumbs :cheers:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Good luck!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
thanks y'all!

next up: SFAI :gibs:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some computer nerds codify what makes a portrait good, identifies things that a lot of photographers here probably already know:

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/the-algorithm-that-sees-beauty-in-photographic-portraits-435ab8064646

Full paper available as PDF here:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1501.07304

It's an interesting read because it's a different way to think about the subject.

(tl;dr: their basic conclusion is that the actual features of the subject is not all that important for how a viewer rates it, technical competency is more important)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yesterday I went to a talk here at the university (I just finished my PhD) in the Biology department by a professor I've worked with on some side-projects over the past few years. He used one of my pictures in his talk, and I was happy he did so. That's the second time a photo I've taken has been used by a colleague in a presentation - the previous one was by a professor at another university who we (my PhD advisor and I) have worked with a little. In neither presentation was I credited as photographer. That's just the presentations I've been in the audience for, I don't know if my pictures have been used by anybody in posters or talks I didn't see.

I know the Dorkroom attitude is usually (and quite fairly) PAY THE ARTIST but all I want is a little bit of text in the corner that says "Photo: ExecuDork" (though obviously using my real name). I'm not going to go storming into anybody's office and DEMAND recognition, but I was wondering if somebody had done something like this before. Anybody managed to get an academic to acknowledge a photo used in a presentation? I'm sure these people are willing, but I think they're just unaware of the importance of copyright.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

"Hello pal, please credit me next time you use my picture of X". It's really that simple.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea pretty much, a simple email straight to the point.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thanks. I'll bring it up the next time I see him.

I just uploaded (most of) a batch of photos to Flickr and it's showing me their new feature, "Camera Roll". This actually looks pretty good, I've been getting annoyed at how their search function works. If I want to go to advanced search and narrow in on a date range because I know the picture I'm looking for came from a particular time and keyword searches aren't doing it, I have to search for some random thing, wait for the results to load, then click on advanced search. The Date Taken / Date Uploaded sort feature in Camera Roll will save me some trouble, I think. Assuming it works reasonably well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Why are you searching your drat pictures in flickr instead of lightroom

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I love going all out on lots of things related to photography but organizing my catalog is at the absolute bottom of my list

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

evil_bunnY posted:

Why are you searching your drat pictures in flickr instead of lightroom

ansel autisms posted:

I love going all out on lots of things related to photography but organizing my catalog is at the absolute bottom of my list
That, and my LR catalogue contains about 10 times as many photos as I have uploaded to Flickr. I don't tag my photos until after I edit them, and I usually upload to flickr as soon as I finish editing (and tagging) a batch. Most of my pictures are at home, and I procrastinate at work by messing around on the internet; sometimes I want to post a picture that I know I uploaded to my flickr some time ago, but I can't remember the exact details. So I put together some search terms and go digging through my flickr. My workflow for photos is terrible, and I'm sure lots of other people have much better systems in place for actually using their photo collections.

Obviously there are much better ways I could be doing things. But some vague plan to be a better person isn't going to help me find an old picture of my car covered in mud to post in a thread in AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I also use flickr/500px to find photos. From there I can pull the date.

I should probably start tagging within lightroom though. The smart catalogs seem handy.