Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't think it's much of a spoiler since it more begs the question than tells you anything useful.

I assumed it was just a random pet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rei_ posted:

Also, I think that Midgard pretty explicitly severs you from Hydaelyn and takes you under his guard at Hydaelyn's request, in exchange for Hydaelyn giving him back his body. He says something along the lines of "I hear you, and I consent". Remember that Hydaelyn is the goddess of the planet, and thus has a beef against Zodiark but really seems to care about both dragons and humans (and 2.x in general has been building up a lot of dragon-related sympathy regardless) but is probably upset about them killing eachother a lot.

That... actually makes a tremendous amount of sense.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Considering Midgardsomr is the first minion to have any actual bearing on the plot I don't see how anyone who hasn't done the story could interpret seeing him around as a spoiler.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

fount of knowledge posted:

Considering Midgardsomr is the first minion to have any actual bearing on the plot I don't see how anyone who hasn't done the story could interpret seeing him around as a spoiler.

I saw him and just thought, "They added a new pet". I have not started the 2.5 story.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Mordiceius posted:

That... actually makes a tremendous amount of sense.

Because like you still have the echo, and because you have the means to kill the ascians, you really don't need her blessing anymore. This also protects you from the corrupting and influential power of dragons, who aren't primals and thus don't care about the echo. Nidhogg can't claim you as a pawn, because technically you belong to the biggest baddest dragon of them all. So you're still working for Hydaelyn, but through Midgardsomr.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

So glad I didn't get very far in the grind for the Ironworks fishing rod, must suck for those that went through all of that though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Truga posted:

Hell, maybe he even grows up into dragonbro!

It's now extremely obvious that the Mystery Story-Related Dragon Mount shown off at Tokyo Fanfest is Midgardsormr.

http://goingsony.com/system/file_uploads/uploads/000/004/402/original/H1pFMGN_-_Imgur.jpg

Take a close look at the head profile, the fins, and the scales on the lower neck.

He's going to be with us the entire expansion.

What I want to know now is, what the hell does Nidhogg, or whoever is commanding the Dravanian Horde to attack Ishgard, do in 2.5.2 that pisses off DragonDad so badly that he decides to stick with us rather than side with his own kind/children? Is it really all just the covenant he spoke of?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Midgardsormr starts off the conversation after Keeper as if he's just going to join in the Dragonsong. It isn't until we flaunt our blessing of light that he mentions Hydaelyn.

He's consenting to whatever covenant this is and then binds himself to us. He might not have been able to do so with the blessing. Silvertear Falls is completely hosed, maybe his orders to guard it are transferable to warriors of light.

Or, far less likely, Hydaelyn wants us to work with the dragons. We already have seen that Ishgard is crawling with Ascians.

e: [15:10]Midgardsormr: Seven children did I sire. One now singeth of retribution.
[15:10]Midgardsormr: I rise to join in the chorus.
[15:10]Midgardsormr: Thou art powerless to silence us, mortal. Yet thou shalt not live to labor in vain. Thy reprieve is at an end.

That's before you do your Hydaelyn Club handshake. That seems very "I'm going to kill everyone with my dragonbabies, and I'm going to kill you"

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 22, 2015

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Saigyouji posted:

Damage buffing is purple. I forget what the green ones did. Heavy, I think?

As mentioned earlier it appears to change each run, when I did it the damage buff was Blue and green was frog.

On the story train the plot element that I'm most interested in is the Convergence they mentioned in 2.4. Remember? The thing that the island of smart people were studying before they were promptly X-Zoned off the face off Hydaelyn? My guess is that the convergence will be the big world shaking event to end out the 2.0 storyline and get us set for HEAVENSWARD and bring in a bunch of floating continents and new beast tribes, probably from another world judging by the name.

SpaceDrake posted:

What I want to know now is, what the hell does Nidhogg, or whoever is commanding the Dravanian Horde to attack Ishgard, do in 2.5.2 that pisses off DragonDad so badly that he decides to stick with us rather than side with his own kind/children? Is it really all just the covenant he spoke of?

My guess is that Midgardsormr is playing a long game and aiming to end the Human/Dravanian war. Presumably the player, with Midgardsormr's help, will be somehow instrumental in revealing what exactly happened to kick off the war and be important in bridging the gap between the sides and ending it. Remember that Iceheart repeatedly tells you to go see Midgardsormr and she seems dedicated to ending the conflict. The entire storyline has been suggesting there's something fishy surrounding Ishgard and the Dravanian war, and since the end of 2.3 they've been going into foreshadowing hyperdive.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

It's now extremely obvious that the Mystery Story-Related Dragon Mount shown off at Tokyo Fanfest is Midgardsormr.

http://goingsony.com/system/file_uploads/uploads/000/004/402/original/H1pFMGN_-_Imgur.jpg

Take a close look at the head profile, the fins, and the scales on the lower neck.

He's going to be with us the entire expansion.

I once theorised back when Silvertear falls was explained if Midgardsormr was there deliberatley to guard the seal or just sitting on top of it, everything this patch seems to point to the former... perhaps he rebels against his children much like Ramuh goes against his very nature as a primal because he realises This war will not keep any race, Dragon or man alive in the long term?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Wait did they not end up adding the coil "helper" system (where you can bring someone locked out for the week at the cost of reduced coffer) that was talked about in the live letter ?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sendo posted:

Wait did they not end up adding the coil "helper" system (where you can bring someone locked out for the week at the cost of reduced coffer) that was talked about in the live letter ?

It's been in the game for a while to my knowledge. Why?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sendo posted:

It's been in since the last Mid patch

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

For the last boss in Keeper, what's the deal with the vulnerability down on the dragons? Seems like it turned on and off for no reason, and was on way longer than it should've been and made the fight drag out way long.

basically, what triggers it and how do you turn it off?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Oh you're totally right, for some reason I thought it was being added this patch.

The reason I ask is my group is currently rebuilding and having trouble finding people that will fit our group/schedule, so in the meantime someone is going to fill in for us so we can at least learn rather than just not raiding at all or pugging bad players.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Jia posted:

For the last boss in Keeper, what's the deal with the vulnerability down on the dragons? Seems like it turned on and off for no reason, and was on way longer than it should've been and made the fight drag out way long.

basically, what triggers it and how do you turn it off?

It's apparently from dragging them too far from the boss. If you keep them close, they won't get the buff.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Niton posted:

It's apparently from dragging them too far from the boss. If you keep them close, they won't get the buff.

It alternates, the first dragon can't be too close and the second can't be too far.

Logicone
Nov 3, 2012

Fur proud service to ze Axis, I hereby avard myself und mein subordinates ze Better zan Herp Ribbon!

You get ze ribbon! Und YOU get ze ribbon! EVERYONE gets ze ribbon!

Except Herp. Arschloch.

Veev posted:

It alternates, the first dragon can't be too close and the second can't be too far.

There's a sweet spot for both Dragons - literally right on the border between the two half arena AOEs he puts out. It's also pretty much right where they spawn - you can tank them in place and just move a little back and forth as needed, and never have to worry about the Vuln Down.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Veev posted:

The general idea being that there'll be times when you can't avoid the buff; you need to move a bit to avoid the half-room AoE attacks, so you just deal with a buffed dragon for a bit and then move back out/in once it's safe.

Omnicrom posted:

My guess is that Midgardsormr is playing a long game and aiming to end the Human/Dravanian war. Presumably the player, with Midgardsormr's help, will be somehow instrumental in revealing what exactly happened to kick off the war and be important in bridging the gap between the sides and ending it. Remember that Iceheart repeatedly tells you to go see Midgardsormr and she seems dedicated to ending the conflict. The entire storyline has been suggesting there's something fishy surrounding Ishgard and the Dravanian war, and since the end of 2.3 they've been going into foreshadowing hyperdive.

Maybe, but he seemed perfectly satisfied with the idea of helping his "people" at first. It feels more like he realized you had the Echo and Blessing of Light, decided something on the spot, was like "tch, fine, Hydaelyn, we'll do it this way" and thus strips you of the blessing and apparently uses the aether to construct his little dragonling body.

It still seems like he's ultimately on his own people's side, so I'm curious to see what really drives him to stick with us. I guess something does happen in the next story block to convince him that both sides are worth saving, but in our first meeting, he's pretty unequivocal that he thinks dragonkind is in the right and that Ishgard's "sons" must answer for the crimes of their fathers. (Sure would be nice if you'd tell us what that crime is though, 'Sormr. No? You're just going to be cryptic? Ok then. :sigh:)

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Spoilers if you haven't run it yet, but I love the final cutscene in The Wanderer's Palace (Hard) so much.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

We need someone to upload this to youtube or something. The images don't do it justice.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

nuru posted:

We need someone to upload this to youtube or something. The images don't do it justice.

The victory music cuts out and the entire party starts to back away.

You really have to see it in motion.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

nuru posted:

Fixed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6OUUr2U2RQ

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Can confirm that hunts drop the new Unstained Mark Logs.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

nuru posted:

your wish is my command gently caress AVELYN BEAT ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmnVKb3zjt0

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So is the hunt TS back in action or are people just using stuff like guildworks instead?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

yes and no

weekend will be fun, it is time to starve anyone using guildwork of hunts and see how they react to having none for 10+ hours

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Klades posted:

Sometimes I think everything in this game exists to make my character look creepier.
It got worse

Also this is threat title relevant because this is what it looks like when I /hildy

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there any way to set it up so that my PS3 controller I'm using on PC will actually vibrate when fishing? I have it enabled in game but it's never actually worked.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Is there any way to set it up so that my PS3 controller I'm using on PC will actually vibrate when fishing? I have it enabled in game but it's never actually worked.

Yes. How do you have things set up? Using the SCPServer method should get you vibration, I don't know about the MotionInJoy route (don't use MotionInJoy)

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

No one should use MotionInJoy for anything anymore, ever. Purge it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Vandes likes to increase his own value as a person by denying his followers from using the only thing to make hunts almost bearable.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Never thought I'd see the day, but here I am agreeing wholeheartedly with Belzac.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Is GW premium that useful? I'm not sure how many people actually run the client.

edit: Even with push notifications, most hunt mobs will be dead unless you're already at your computer waiting with organized groups running around.

nuru fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 22, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

nuru posted:

Is GW premium that useful? I'm not sure how many people actually run the client.

how much is it?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

When are server restrictions supposed to ease up? There's only a couple of servers actually open and from what I can see they're mostly dead ones.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't see the point in paying a third party to blatantly break the ToS of a game I'm playing.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

re: WPHM's 2nd boss

The first three totems he throws down will always be a Damage +, Fire Resist - , and Heavy totem. The color is randomized, but these are always constant. After that, the one color that's left will always be the frog totem.

I also don't think his frog move is random. I ran the dungeon with some friends last night, and we kept having our bard hit the frog totem. The boss never used the frog skill himself. I'd guess that the totems he absorbs affect what he does next: damage totem -> damage bonus, frog totem -> use frog skill. Not sure what the fire resist totem or the heavy totem would make him do, though, since we always ate those.

Also, about AKHM's DPS race: my first run through with DF I had two dps who were lacking in damage. We ended up hitting the demon walls during the bees and wiped. When we came back, the room immediately set the bees on us and the walls had moved back to their starting positions. So even if you had a group of fresh i90s doing the dungeon, it wouldn't be impossible for them.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The Shortest Path posted:

When are server restrictions supposed to ease up? There's only a couple of servers actually open and from what I can see they're mostly dead ones.

Never. Excalibur has been restricted since launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What in the actual gently caress? So playing the game with people who have already been playing is essentially impossible, then?

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 22, 2015

• Locked thread