Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lorini posted:

I just bought the Machi Kuro Harbor expansion and the cards don't match what IDW put out as the Machi Kuro original. Now the place that I bought them from is run by an attorney, so I suppose if I took the Findlaw site to him he'd have to accept the return back. HOWEVER, he could say that the game is still playable and therefore is not defective, and therefore his clearly posted refund policy (where you can only return unopened merchandise for a week after buying it) would apply.

Defective is a broad word, is what I'm saying.

This is also true. Also if any goons are actually knowledgeable about these kinds of laws by all means post here or whatever because I'm having a poo poo time finding actual sources :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Yeah, it seems like there isn't an equivalent of the ACCC for US businesses and consumers. A shame really, their website is a great resource.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lorini posted:

I just bought the Machi Kuro Harbor expansion and the cards don't match what IDW put out as the Machi Kuro original.

Wait what's the issue with them now?

Also goddamn, why does IDW suck at printing cards so much? I remember the original Machi Koro release had a bunch of defective cards too.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Speaking of IDW and their incredibly rocky start launching games, has anyone had a chance to play their new X-Files Board Game that released last week? I'm the kind of sucker who will probably buy it sight unseen thanks to the theme, but early discussion around it hasn't sounded super positive.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Yeah, I bought the last of the game they had in stock and I had already checked cards to make sure they were missing and that I didn't just gently caress some deckmaking up, so I was like halfway there. Rather count card for an hour than wait an extra 3 days for the game because they order the replacement cards for me.

Oh well, they already replied to my mail, the only painful thing is going to be the US -> Sweden shipping and the fact that I'm traveling to the US in 2 weeks and might not get to play before that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Merauder posted:

Speaking of IDW and their incredibly rocky start launching games, has anyone had a chance to play their new X-Files Board Game that released last week? I'm the kind of sucker who will probably buy it sight unseen thanks to the theme, but early discussion around it hasn't sounded super positive.

what's this :monocle:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The board game is probably terrible, but apparently a new X-Files show has been approved.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

T-Bone posted:

what's this :monocle:

They announced it about a year ago, at or right before the GAMA Trade Show (they had the actor who played Langley from the Lone Gunmen in tow at GAMA, it was cool), and then it hit non-stop delays and all the hype around it has kind of fell through everywhere it seems. It was supposed to be released before GenCon, but even at GenCon they only had a prototype copy at their booth, nothing final or playable yet. So it's finally here now, and I haven't had a chance to pick it up but intend to... just curious if any of this community has tried it since folks here are the most discerning of anyone I've seen anywhere. :)

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Yeah, I bought the last of the game they had in stock and I had already checked cards to make sure they were missing and that I didn't just gently caress some deckmaking up, so I was like halfway there. Rather count card for an hour than wait an extra 3 days for the game because they order the replacement cards for me.

Oh well, they already replied to my mail, the only painful thing is going to be the US -> Sweden shipping and the fact that I'm traveling to the US in 2 weeks and might not get to play before that.

Exactly how many cards are you missing? Do you have enough of those double-sided blanks to maybe paste up some proxies so you can at least get to play?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Scyther posted:

Exactly how many cards are you missing? Do you have enough of those double-sided blanks to maybe paste up some proxies so you can at least get to play?

Location x4

Grunt x15

Strike Deck:
Double Slash x1
Contaminated Wound x1
Deep Gash x1

Drone Deck:
Facehugger
Event x2
Cornered Scientist x1
Ambushed Medic x1
Xenomorph Stalker x1
Acid-Spray Xenomorph x1
Camouflaged Xenomorph x1
Noxious Xenomorph x1
Meddlesome Xenomorph x1

Objectives

Objective 1:
Breakout
Where are the Brothers?

Objective 2:
The Beast is out there
You're a thing. A construct.

Objective 3:
Nobody can stop it
She'll breed. You'll die.

Hive Decks
The Lost Colony:
Hazard
Colonist Host x1
Xenomorph Swarmer x1

The S.O.S:
Hazard
Breakout:
Hazard
Xenomorph Clone x1
Containment Cell x1

Where are the Brothers?:
Hazard
Missing Brother X2

No one can hear you scream:
Hazard
Jonesy
Ventilation Seal
Skittering Xenomorph x1
Shedding-Skin Xenomorph x1
They mostly come at night:

Hazard
Newt
Acid-Blood Xenomorph x1
The beast is out there:
Hazard
Bishop's Head
Armored Xenomorph x1
You're a thing. A construct.:
Hazard
Xenomorph Swimmer x1
Salivating Xenomorph x1
The perfect organism:
Hazard
Airlock Controls
Ash
The perfect organism
Xenomorph Lance-tail x1

Who's laying the eggs?:
Hazard
Carter Burke
The Queen

Nobody can stop it:
Hazard
Michael Weyland
The Beast
The lead works
Blood-Scent Xenomorph x1

She'll breed. You'll die:
Hazard
The Newborn
The cloned queen
Larry Purvis
Dr. Wren
Xenomorph Spitter x1
Cloned Facehugger x1

Character Decks

Johner:
Thermos Gun
Incinerator Flamer x1

Ripley No. 8:
The monster's mother
Grown in a lab x1

Christie:
Gun for hire
Kawlang Maneuver x1

Call:
Interface with Fa-th-ur
Unlikely Allies x1

Sister Ripley:
Ultimate Sacrifice
Whatever it takes x1

CMO Clemens:
Autopsy x1

Brother Dillion:
I wanna get this thing x1

Francis "85" Aaron:
Internal Exam x1

Private Hudson:
Body Armor x1

Lieutenant Ripley:
Ripley Enraged x1

Corporal Hicks:
Weapon Training x1

Bishop:
Knife games x1

Chief Engineer Parker:
Electric prod x1

Navigator Lambert:
Review the nav data x1

Warrant Officer Ripley:
You are my lucky star x1

Captain Dallas:
Teams of Three x1

I have probably like 50 blank cards, but trying to find a picture of all those cards and then printing them, pasting them good enough not to make them obvious in a pile seems like a lot of work. How good does that kind of stuff work? I guess I could just get the first 3 objective decks and the recommended character decks filled out and get to play a game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

Missing: the whole loving game

Jesus Christ

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 22, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

The End posted:

Yeah, it seems like there isn't an equivalent of the ACCC for US businesses and consumers. A shame really, their website is a great resource.

ftc.gov for US.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

GrandpaPants posted:

Wait what's the issue with them now?

Also goddamn, why does IDW suck at printing cards so much? I remember the original Machi Koro release had a bunch of defective cards too.

The expansion cards are shorter and narrower. Which wouldn't be a problem, except that in the expansion you actually shuffle all the cards together, meaning that it's nearly impossible to riffle shuffle the cards.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lorini posted:

The expansion cards are shorter and narrower. Which wouldn't be a problem, except that in the expansion you actually shuffle all the cards together, meaning that it's nearly impossible to riffle shuffle the cards.

Haha I just looked at the BGG thread and holy poo poo

I see that they've learned exactly 0 lessons from the quality control issues during their first printing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lorini posted:

ftc.gov for US.

AKA the people who couldn't pin fraud on Butterfly loving Labs.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Fungah! posted:

Jesus Christ

Yeah, gonna go out on a limb and guess a whole deck or two is completely missing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Now you make me think an Archipelago style game concerning the Beagle channel conflict needs to be made. Well, you could always introduce your group to Diplomacy but Latin American countries instead.

Vos sos !

A little late, but why not go full Tropico and procure a copy of Junta?

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Sistergodiva posted:

Yeah, gonna go out on a limb and guess a whole deck or two is completely missing.

I didn't have any missing cards in my set of Encounters, but I did have 12 miscut cards. They had part of another card along the left side. I emailed QA@upperdeck.com with a list of the affected cards and an example photo. It took them a few days to get back with me, but they are sending replacements. It looks like you're missing over 50 cards, so they might handle it a little differently. At least that's the threshold listed on their website. Either way, they quoted 2-4 weeks shipping time. I had opaque backed lime green sleeves for my cards, so using them till I get replacements wasn't a big deal.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

I'm honestly a little shocked at how bad their QC is, there's something like a hundred missing cards in there. That's pretty hosed up!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If I bought it in person, and they wouldn't take it back with that many cards missing, I'd simply never give them business again. Really though there is no point in using retail game stores. Just buy everything on Amazon.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game has noticeably different colored backs between the first and second edition printings. When I called Paizo to ask if they could do an exchange for the one adventure pack in my set which was a different edition, they basically told me to use sleeves even though I offered to pay for shipping. This was after not responding to my emails for 3 weeks with picture proof and proof of purchase.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Scyther posted:

Unfortunately on top of having the cards sorted in the least helpful way possible, Upper Deck has a seemingly bad record of cards missing across their entire line of Legendary games and expansions. I've heard so many stories of missing cards but I've been lucky enough myself that my Legendary stuff has been mostly complete, I was missing one card from Villains but that seems to be it. Their support people were helpful and the card shipped in a reasonable time, but you would think a company that started out in CCGs would be able to get their poo poo together.

Come to think of it, I should crack open the Guardians of the Galaxy expansion I got for my birthday and check if it's complete.

e: Yes it's complete.

My friend bought every Legendary game and expansion and we didn't have a problem until...

When we placed the order including Legendary Villains, store had ran out of the Mayday sleeves he was buying for it, so we played other stuff until those are in stock. We got the sleeves in the next order, so he opened his game's shrink wrap, started sleeving the cards so we can play it that weekend and realized a card from Rogue's deck was missing. He mailed Upperdeck for it and they demanded an invoice proving the purchase was made in the last 90 days. We mailed the store to ask what can be done about it since its been more than 90 days due to the sleeve shortage, and there hasn't been any progress since.

I normally just add a photo of my games' barcode when I'm requesting a replacement and aside Kemet guys totally ignoring my misprinted victory tile replacemenent request (which I fixed by applying photocopy stickers on) this is the first time we are having a replacement issue.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Do they have a Twitter account? That can work sometimes when customer service is not responding, since it's pretty embarrassing

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Did anyone post this? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens

Basic card drawing russian roulette game.
Wacky Internet humour.
Illustrated by the Oatmeal.
Goal $10 K.
So far $2.5 M.
28 days to go.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Amoeba102 posted:

Did anyone post this? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens

Basic card drawing russian roulette game.
Wacky Internet humour.
Illustrated by the Oatmeal.
Goal $10 K.
So far $2.5 M.
28 days to go.
Guy knows what he is doing I guess. It's not my thing.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, knows how to sell to the internet crowd that's for sure.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah, knows how to sell to the internet crowd that's for sure.
I'm sure we all have a friend who would love it. Or two even.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

My Cards Against Humanity loving friends asked our group if there was interest in it. So yeah, I know people who will like it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Sistergodiva posted:

Yeah, with the crazy way they packed up the cards (i.e. decks were shuffled together without any order whatsoever), that looks like a you're missing 2 of the 7-8 the game came with.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I like how highly strategic is just some kind of buzzword now in a lot of Kickstarters.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
The two funniest things about that kickstarter:

1. Their first playtest was last week.

2. Having recieved two MILLION dollars they rewarded people with exactly the kind of stretch goal a player-eliminating game sold as being "more fun the closer to the end you are" needs: more cards, for a longer playtime. Only for the higher cost pledge of course.

Tekopo posted:

I like how highly strategic is just some kind of buzzword now in a lot of Kickstarters.

everything is the perfect combination of luck and skill also easy to learn but difficult to master

I was also pretty confused when their video said you'd have to form strategies and choose who to target, because I can't see any reason to target one person over another nor any reliable way of doing so besides "sit to their right".

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 22, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Archenteron posted:

A little late, but why not go full Tropico and procure a copy of Junta?

Junta is a fun game with a play time of 90 minutes. Unfortunately, games last four hours.

Still, I have a friend who likes it, so he has a copy of Junta and I had a £20 note for a while.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You could probably build an algorithm to play that game.

pre:
IF you have See in the Future THEN play it
    IF exploding kitten is NEXT card, THEN play Skip
    ELSE IF exploding kitten is in NEXT two cards, THEN play attack
    ELSE don't play any other cards
ELSE IF you don't have any Defuse cards, play Skip/Attack
    IF you don't have any Skip/Attack, draw card and use Defuse if necessary.
END IF

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Hopefully their extensive week of rigorous playtesting will be enough to make these 56 cards and zero additional components worth the $20 price tag.

Tekopo posted:

pre:
END IF

You probably need a line saying not to play See the Future if you don't have any Skips/Attacks/Shuffles, but yeah pretty much.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Playtesting a week out from release would explain a lot about video game design.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tekopo posted:

pre:
END IF

Considering the comic it's based off of was designed by a marketeer, practically by algorithm, to be as viral and have as much Internet-ism as possible, that is hardly surprising.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
sigh

I can't even muster the words, really. Nothing can appropriate express my despondence that I will never reach a level of success as some shithead who scribbles clickbait of fat people rolling in poo poo and screaming.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Broken Loose posted:

sigh

I can't even muster the words, really. Nothing can appropriate express my despondence that I will never reach a level of success as some shithead who scribbles clickbait of fat people rolling in poo poo and screaming.

Well if anything this kickstarter proves that you can - you just have to befriend one and get their legion of fans to buy your game

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Broken Loose posted:

sigh

Take solace in the fact that although you'll probably not even make one percent of the money, you'll get mocked here at least half as much with about three quarters of the sincerity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

sigh

I'd say something inspirational about dignity, self respect, and a duty to a higher standard, but we'd pretty much all pick the money in a second if we'd done it first.