Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm just gonna leave this here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Ceciltron posted:

It can be done, but won't be easy. My dad had a similar strategy in the 90s. He paid off a 25 year mortgage in 7 years. The secretary at the bank called him "Mr. Lump Sum".

Good luck!

My girlfriend paid off her condo in 6 years doing this as well, hard to achieve for many people as you have to live within your means.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

The problem with early payoff now is that, if/when the housing market pops all the cash you put into a single asset disappears. With interest rates low, it would be better to diversify investments and carry the mortgage at its low rate. You can then decide later if cashing out investments to pay off the house is needed, or abandoning the house and taking the credit hit is going to provide more value.

On a very simplified level, it's foolish to pay back someone who is giving you money for less than the cost of inflation. They are, essentially, paying you to take that money and you should always keep this in mind. You won't see rates that low, of course, because banks take that cut for themselves, but you can still get very close to money being 'free'.

I completely agree, however this is highly influenced by our desire to have kids in the near term (within 2-3 years) and wanting to reduce our mortgage rate risk since we'd be going down to 1.5 income when that happens. We're also trying to save up cash on the side. We're doing well so far, since my income is projected to increase over the next few years as well from a relatively low rate (going from mediocre salary to a good commission split which would increase my income by about 1.5x based on my current productivity, which should increase as well).

Our main issue is figuring out what to invest or put money into. Paying off a mortgage faster is a 'easy' (from a figuring out what to do perspective) way to use savings. Figuring out a superior investment vehicle is what I've been pondering for about a year. Yay.

e:

Running With Spoons posted:

Now, you can pay back the mortgage more slowly thinking you can get a better return on your cash by buying stocks rather than paying back your 3% mortgage/debt.
I think you should pay back your mortgage before investing much in bonds, especially government bonds.
This is what I was thinking of, not walking from the mortgage to be clear.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 21, 2015

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

EoRaptor posted:

You can then decide later if cashing out investments to pay off the house is needed, or abandoning the house and taking the credit hit is going to provide more value.

You can't walk away from your house in Canada except if you declare bankruptcy.
And if you have to declare bankruptcy, they're going to take all your investments anyway.

Edit: Actually, I just read that this is false in Alberta and Saskatchewan if you had a >20% downpayment on your house. But still, the market would have to crash a lot to make it reasonable to walk away.

EoRaptor posted:

The problem with early payoff now is that, if/when the housing market pops all the cash you put into a single asset disappears. With interest rates low, it would be better to diversify investments and carry the mortgage at its low rate.

When you get a mortgage, you get a house and a debt.
No matter what you do (besides bankruptcy), you're going to have to pay that debt.
The "cash you put into a single asset" won't disappear because the cash is a payment on the debt.

Now, you can pay back the mortgage more slowly thinking you can get a better return on your cash by buying stocks rather than paying back your 3% mortgage/debt.
I think you should pay back your mortgage before investing much in bonds, especially government bonds.

Running With Spoons fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 21, 2015

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Cultural Imperial posted:

I'm just gonna leave this here.

That isn't true, I work for a company that works closely with Imperial - Aspen does not require oil to be that high and Kearl has already been built - the margins will be shittier but it will continue production. It's new large cap projects that are halting (smaller contractors already feeling the pinch) outside of some exceptions like Fort Hills etc.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Growing up, it was always incredibly comforting to our family knowing that no matter what happened, the house was paid and we'd never lose our home. Outside of disinterested financial blathering, there is a positive psychological benefit to not carrying debt, even if it means missing out on a potential few thousand dollars in income (assuming your investments generate actual returns).

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
3% Mortgages? Daaaamn. As someone living in Mexico and considering buying a house at our "market competitive" rates of 9 - 10.5%, I'm seeing why there's such a bubble being inflated in Canada, that's insanely cheap credit (just got cheaper today). Then again, inflation in Mexico is around 4.8%, so it slighly balances out.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I will probably repeat this until the heat death of the universe, gently caress RealtorsTM.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

Credit just got cheaper, so people can borrow more with lower monthly payments, so...

I am just waiting to see what CI does when the BoC starts deploying unconventional monetary policy.

It's basically a fiscal plan inspired by the peggle ironicat:

The only cure for a credit bubble, is even cheaper credit and more irresponsible debt loading

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Should be an interesting spring selling season.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I hope we get a feeding frenzy, followed by people selling themselves into slavery in five years when interest rates spike to 10%+ and they can't afford to eat. :v:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Rime posted:

I hope we get a feeding frenzy, followed by people selling themselves into slavery in five years when interest rates spike to 10%+ and they can't afford to eat. :v:

I'm increasingly coming around to the view that it's imprudent not to buy at this point. When it all goes pear shaped, the abstainers are going to look like the proverbial sheep alongside two wolves who are jointly voting on what's for dinner.

No, I'm not buying in. Don't worry

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rime posted:

A friendly reminder that unlike the US, in Canada fixed loans are shorter with the equivalent of re-fi every 5-9 years.

You also have to convince the bank your loan is still good for things such as loan to value.

also:

Note japan is extreme case with buying being much cheaper since property prices have been deflating since the famous 80s real asset and asset bubble.

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 22, 2015

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

It's basically a fiscal plan inspired by the peggle ironicat:

The only cure for a credit bubble, is even cheaper credit and more irresponsible debt loading

The actual ironic part of that statement is that, if the government pushed interest rates and the dollar down and drove inflation up along with actively driving salaries up through minimum wage hikes, you could actually inflate your way out of the housing crisis*.

Imports would be destroyed, but your exports (resources, manufacturing and services) might do pretty well.

It would require the government to acknowledge that the finance sector does not, in fact, drive the economy, so I don't think this is going to happen at all, but it is possible.

*You'd also need much stricter capital flight controls.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey just a remark that the netherlands housing market has been in decline since 2012 when the government tightened lending rule. Before that they were on pace with belgium for prices.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.scmp.com/comment/blogs/article/1688888/hongkongers-have-been-pouring-out-vancouver-now-hk-wants-their

quote:

Not content with the return of thousands of Hong Kong emigrants who have poured out of Vancouver since the handover, the SAR government now wants their kids, too.

The announcement by Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying in last week’s policy address that the overseas children of Hong Kong permanent residents would be able to apply for one-year visas to allow them to look for work in the SAR has the potential to escalate the westward flow. But will it?

Reverse migration is a phenomenon that has already seen the Hong Kong-born population in greater Vancouver fall by 14 per cent, from 86,215 in 1996 to 73,770 in 2011. Yet the exodus has been far more extreme than what census data suggests, since there were around 20,500 arrivals in Vancouver from Hong Kong in the same period.

In other words, about 33,000 Hongkongers departed Vancouver in those 15 years (including deaths). What’s more, arrivals are now a mere trickle - in 2013, there were only 383 new Hong Kong immigrants for all of British Columbia.

UBC professor Daniel Hiebert has been studying the flows between Hong Kong and Vancouver for years. “There are many places that have these kinds of plans now,” he said of the visa scheme. “It’s becoming more common for countries to work through their diaspora populations as a source of newcomers, particularly countries facing demographic issues [such as a low birth rate].”

Hiebert said it was “probably Japan” that first tried to tap into this group, seeking to attract ethnic Japanese whose ancestors had emigrated, mainly to Latin America. But the idea failed in many ways, primarily because such migrants often found it difficult to assimilate into a Japanese society with which they were unfamiliar and from which they felt “very detached”. “It was tough to integrate that population, and quite a few decided to move back to Brazil or wherever else they came from,” he said.

Hiebert noted that in the Japanese case, many of these migrants’ ancestors had left their homeland generations ago, so the situation was not exactly analogous to the Hong Kong government’s plan.

But similar cultural factors could come into play. Hiebert said a relative lack in proficiency in Cantonese could deter some children of emigrants from taking up the visa offer, as could a preference for Vancouver’s laid-back, outdoorsy lifestyle compared to that of high-density, high-intensity Hong Kong.

Nick So, a 29-year-old marketing strategist, moved to Vancouver from Hong Kong with his parents in 1990 when he was just four years old. He holds no Hong Kong residency, and thus could apply to the new scheme.

But the downside issues raised by Hiebert all resonate for So. He said he spoke Cantonese, but was not confident he spoke it well enough “to be successful in business. I’m not sure if there would be a language barrier, because my Chinese isn’t super-fluent.”

So said he and his girlfriend enjoyed a “kind of low key” lifestyle, and he liked his current job. “On a day-to-day basis, I think the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong might be too much for us,” he said.

Another downside consideration for So – one that was also raised by Hiebert - was the cost of housing in Hong Kong, the only city in the world with worse affordability than Vancouver.

Hiebert said he suspected that the bulk of the migratory flow from Vancouver to Hong Kong was over. “There may still be something left in the reverse flow, but I cannot see it happening at a colossal scale,” he said.

Yet the Canadian-born children of Hong Kong emigrants - as well as what he called the “1.5 generation” who left Hong Kong as very young children – continued to “scan the opportunities available for them, both here [in Vancouver] and there [in Hong Kong]”. “Typically, that group of people still has family networks in Hong Kong. Uncles, aunts, second-cousins, whatever. So they’ve got places to crash for a while, they can look around and survey the scene,” he said.

“Don’t forget that very large numbers of the Hong Kong diaspora in Vancouver travel back and forth regularly, you’ve got non-stop flights that are quite affordable, even on a student budget…and if you have relatives you can stay with, then life is quite easy, to make that jump over there. Either way, people will very quickly decide whether the pace of Hong Kong and the economy of Hong Kong appeals to them.”
Hiebert said that even if some Vancouverites do take up the visa offer, it may not have huge, long-term implications. “Maybe the plan works as intended. But with a highly fluid population you’ve got to worry about retention as well as attraction…these kind of policies are never massive, crashing successes.”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

The actual ironic part of that statement is that, if the government pushed interest rates and the dollar down and drove inflation up along with actively driving salaries up through minimum wage hikes, you could actually inflate your way out of the housing crisis*.

Imports would be destroyed, but your exports (resources, manufacturing and services) might do pretty well.

It would require the government to acknowledge that the finance sector does not, in fact, drive the economy, so I don't think this is going to happen at all, but it is possible.

*You'd also need much stricter capital flight controls.

inflating away your troubles would also require the real estate speculation to die down, so inflated wage and other things could catch up with the "old" home loan price.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

jet sanchEz posted:

My girlfriend paid off her condo in 6 years doing this as well, hard to achieve for many people as you have to live within your means.
Paying off bubble prices requires more than living within your means though. Particularly if you're making the median national wage or less. In that situation you need to not only live as a ascetic but to also not have any financial disasters befall you for at least a decade or 2.

A clearly unreasonable situation to be in.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yeah I don't understand how people can live with themselves paying off bubble prices.

Not my loving problem.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Yeah I don't understand how people can live with themselves paying off bubble prices.

Not my loving problem.

Most of what you post about isn't your problem, Seattle.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

overpay now so you can make more theoretical money in the future.

Also make sure to pay $3000 a month to own a single bedroom condo, instead of renting for $1000-$1300 in the GTA.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/2t5cd5/an_alternative_to_the_hellish_housing_costs_in/

This loving "tiny house movement" cracks me the gently caress up.

Build equity in a 40k outhouse with strata fees. Good job doing the math there hipster mark carney

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I feel like this article was tailor written for vancouver.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/16/7545509/inequality-waste

quote:

People spend more when their friends and neighbors spend more. This isn't some fantastic new discovery made by a young economist. It's a dynamic we've known about basically forever. Many have called it "keeping up with the Joneses." But I've never liked that expression, because it summons images of insecure people trying to appear wealthier than they are. Peer influences would in fact be just as strong in a world completely free of jealousy and envy. And rising inequality has made those influences much stronger.

The median new house in the US is now 50 percent larger than it was in 1980, even though the median income has grown only slightly in real terms. Houses are growing faster than incomes because of a process I call "expenditure cascades."

Here's how it works. People at the top begin building bigger houses simply because they have more money. Perhaps it's now the custom for them to have their daughters' wedding receptions at home, so a ballroom is now part of what defines adequate living space. Those houses shift the frame of reference for the near-wealthy — who travel in the same social circles — so they, too, build bigger.

But as the near-wealthy begin adding granite countertops and vaulted ceilings, they shift the frames of reference that define adequate for upper-middle class families. And so they begin going into debt to keep pace. And so it goes, all the way down the income ladder. More spending by the people who can afford it at the top ultimately creates pressure for more spending by people who can't afford it at the bottom.

quote:

We spend too much on houses and parties because as individuals we have no incentive to take account of how our spending affects others. The tax system offers a simple, unintrusive way to change our incentives. We could abandon the current progressive income tax in favor of a much more steeply progressive consumption tax.

Here's how it would work: people would report their incomes as they do now, and also their annual savings, as many now do for tax-exempt retirement accounts. Their income minus their savings is their annual consumption, and that amount less a large standard deduction would be their taxable consumption. For instance, a family that earned $100,000 and saved $50,000 in a tax year would have annual consumption of $50,000. If the standard deduction was $30,000, the family's taxable consumption would be $20,000.

The tax rate would start out low and would then rise steadily as taxable consumption rises. Under the current income tax, rates can't rise too high without choking off savings and investment. But higher marginal tax rates on consumption actually encourage savings and investment.

quote:

My basic claim, in short, is that a simple change in our tax structure would enable us to put trillions of dollars a year to better uses without requiring painful sacrifices from anyone. On its face, this claim will strike most people as as implausible. Yet my argument in favor of it has few moving parts, and none of the premises on which it rests is controversial in the least. Everyone agrees that most income gains have been going to top earners, which has led them to build bigger houses. No one disputes that, beyond some point, across-the-board increases in mansion size don't make the rich any happier. Nor does anyone dispute that larger houses at the top have shifted the frame of reference that shapes the demands of those just below them, and so on, all the way down the income ladder.

Nor is there any dispute that the resulting financial squeeze on middle-income families has not only made it more difficult for those families to pay their bills, it has also made it more difficult for governments to raise revenue. And that, in turn, has led to a decline in the quality of infrastructure and public services. So despite their higher incomes, the rich are now worse off on balance. Their higher spending on cars and houses has simply raised the bar that defines adequate in those categories, while the corresponding decline in the quality of public goods has had significant negative impact.

The encouraging news is that the profoundly wasteful spending patterns caused by rising income inequality could easily be changed. But that's unlikely to happen until our political conversation begins to focus on inequality's practical consequences.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

http://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/2t5cd5/an_alternative_to_the_hellish_housing_costs_in/

This loving "tiny house movement" cracks me the gently caress up.

Build equity in a 40k outhouse with strata fees. Good job doing the math there hipster mark carney

Not that I want to build equity in any housing at the moment, but some of those tiny houses have neat features.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 22, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

MickeyFinn posted:

Not that I want to build equity in any housing at the moment, but some of those tiny houses have neat features.

I'm guessing that thing is 100sqft. That's $400/sqft. C'mon man

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

MickeyFinn posted:

I like features that lead to hypothermia too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm guessing that thing is 100sqft. That's $400/sqft. C'mon man

also no main sewage line

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Lexicon posted:

I'm increasingly coming around to the view that it's imprudent not to buy at this point. When it all goes pear shaped, the abstainers are going to look like the proverbial sheep alongside two wolves who are jointly voting on what's for dinner.

No, I'm not buying in. Don't worry

This is exactly where bear traps come from FYI.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

MickeyFinn posted:

$900/month lot fee + $40K price for a glorified trailer/shack on wheels by a sewage treatment plant vastly overshadows any neat features though. You're better off buying a RV trailer or a single wide mobile home and living in a trailer park. For that sort of accommodation to be a step up either in terms of cost and/or quality of living is a helluva thing.

Gives me flashbacks to condo pool side cabana shacks being sold for $200K+ during the height of the US boom in SoCal. They were about the same size. Less privacy, but hey, the pool is right here!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

what does he do with the pots of poo since it doesn't have a main sewage line?

also lol:

etalian fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 22, 2015

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Franks Happy Place posted:

This is exactly where bear traps come from FYI.

Sort of. The belief behind it is far deeper than mere price though. I increasingly don't think Canada will have a housing correction; instead the medicine will be taken in other ways to ensure that it won't happen. And if it means beggaring the currency, torpedoing the health system, vastly increasing the debt - you name it, then so be it.

Like I said, it doesn't make me any more interested in buying. It does incline me more towards leaving the country [again], and now that my spouse is recently qualified in a highly-mobile field, I suspect we will do just that.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

etalian posted:

http://fascinatinghistory.blogspot.ca/2005/05/cess-pits-and-chamber-pots.html :v:

Heard on the news today Barrie is now the 7th most expensive place to rent in Canada. Im starting to feel bad for our mayor who is actually trying to resolve this situation but council is blocking him at every step. :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

$900/month lot fee + $40K price for a glorified trailer/shack on wheels by a sewage treatment plant vastly overshadows any neat features though.

I like how he defends his solution, saying at least he has outdoors and fresh air, unlike in a lowly apartment complex.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Lexicon posted:

I increasingly don't think Canada will have a housing correction; instead the medicine will be taken in other ways to ensure that it won't happen.
Many said the same thing about the US bubble and there was a correction anyways despite drastic steps to stop it. You haven't really gotten to the drastic steps stage yet in Canada, they're still just lowering the interest rate a bit at a time and hoping for the best. Its when they start doing stuff like mortgage moratoriums, 'can-kicking refis' that they know won't work out but keep up hope and a family in the house for a year or 2 longer a la HAMP/HARP that you'll know they're really getting desperate. But all that probably won't happen until the price drops become so obvious even the news and RE agents can't deny it any longer.

Lexicon posted:

And if it means beggaring the currency, torpedoing the health system, vastly increasing the debt - you name it, then so be it.
This'll probably happen anyways, the crash will just be a convenient scapegoat to do knee cap them and lay future groundwork for 'starve the beast' politics or whatever it is the politicians call it up in Canada, and/or do away with those public programs altogether.

etalian posted:

If its done right* 'water less' toilets can actually be pretty effective and won't stink. They usually flip open or have a draw you pull out to remove the partially or fully composted effluvia which you can then dispose of or use on site. Just like any other compost.

The exception to that is if the trailer park won't let you use the compost. Usually in that case they have some sort of dumping site or collection service and the cost of using it is rolled into the lot fee.

*use bulking agents of some sort, keep the temperature in range, and try not to put any excessive fluids into a composting toilet. So not hard to use for the most part...unless you're in winter and your trailer is poorly insulated and/or you can't afford to run the heater enough to keep the composting action going. Then you're in trouble and things can get stinky and gross fast.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 22, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Many said the same thing about the US bubble and there was a correction anyways despite drastic steps to stop it. You haven't really gotten to the drastic steps stage yet in Canada, they're still just lowering the interest rate a bit at a time and hoping for the best. Its when they start doing stuff like mortgage moratoriums, 'can-kicking refis' that they know won't work out but keep up hope and a family in the house for a year or 2 longer a la HAMP/HARP that you'll know they're really getting desperate. But all that probably won't happen until the price drops become so obvious even the news and RE agents can't deny it any longer.

From the dot.com stock bubble to dutch tulip craze, there's no such thing as a bubble that didn't end financially burning piles of people.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
Lol, 40k on a piece of poo poo mobile home and then pay rent for the land. He is literally throwing his money away on both rent for land, and the money spent on a depreciating piece of poo poo structure.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
This is your friendly reminder that lots of people got rich as gently caress in 2009, 2001, 1998, 1987 etc, etc

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

on the left posted:

Lol, 40k on a piece of poo poo mobile home and then pay rent for the land. He is literally throwing his money away on both rent for land, and the money spent on a depreciating piece of poo poo structure.

Yeah really I don't see how this loving thing is any different than leasing a v6 accord and a parking spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is your friendly reminder that lots of people got rich as gently caress in 2009, 2001, 1998, 1987 etc, etc

Yeah people who short or cleverly buy things like equities low after a bubble burst make piles of money but as a whole it really fucks up the economy.