Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

Both third party ones are a bust, so I'm in for the Hasbro one.

Yeah, honestly. Maybe I'm being unfair but one party overdesigned him way too much (MT Guardia) and the other looks pretty poop (the TFC one), particularly hotspot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
His halo is the matrix.

e: Punishment was pretty grim! I think Optimus is just about as Done With This poo poo as Megatron.

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 22, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The one thing that really bothers me about Guardia is you know it is going to be another $30~ and they're going to claim the price increase is due to making the limb bots bigger, except it won't be any bigger just moving the mass to the limbs which Quantron should have done in the first place. Otherwise I'm surprised we're already calling it a bust.

Well that and the egregious back fists. What is up with that? Aren't Quantron's abs formed from Metalstorm's fists? How do you go from engineering brilliance like that to stumpy fists just jutting out of the back?

Prometheus looks horrid though.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh I don't dislike Guardia at all, I just find he seems very complex from early impressions. I like maketoys but sometimes it feels like they overcomplicate things just for the sake of it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Maketoys, any idea of when they'll show their Not-Tailgate? That toy show next month? My Tailgate statue was adopted by a small child I know and I'm never getting it back. An expensive third party replacement toy, however, is not going anywhere close to that kid.

\/\/\/ I guess that's what I mean. Like, I want an ETA on getting that thing in my sweaty mitts.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 22, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just to be clear, you mean show as in display painted prototypes, right?

I wonder if they'll bump him back a month to get that k-rad hoverboard in the box. I am completely on board with that.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Spiderdrake posted:

The one thing that really bothers me about Guardia is you know it is going to be another $30~ and they're going to claim the price increase is due to making the limb bots bigger, except it won't be any bigger just moving the mass to the limbs which Quantron should have done in the first place. Otherwise I'm surprised we're already calling it a bust.

I'm calling him a bust because while he doesn't look bad, he is hugely overdesigned for a Defensor, plus I think Maketoys' combiners are too small and the individual bots are fiddly messes half the time. They aren't getting any more of my money for combiners, ever.

Prometheus, on the other hand, just looks like complete poo poo from top to bottom.

I'm still hoping MMC steps up to the Defensor plate, but until then, Hasbro will do.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

From what I was told MMC is taking a break from combines but has an Abominus planned for 2016 or so.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

I'm perfectly happy to not tell you guys things I learn if you prefer. :colbert:

Lots of people have seen these things at the Hong Kong event and other business-related places. The person in question actually had a photo of it but wouldn't show it to me, so perhaps they were lying. But the fact that they sold their Maketoys Giant and TFC Hercules immediately after seeing it would indicate to me that they aren't.

Meanwhile the most recent reports on TFW are saying that it doesn't look like the G1 Devastator at all but retains G1 levels of articulation.

Gah! I'm so torn on selling either my Giant or my Hercules, because I really don't need 3 drat Devastators.

Did your friend say it looked awesome at least? Like better than Hercules?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

There's this other 3p releasing an Abominus, it looks decent so far but I like their Blot way more than RIppersnapper. Also I dunno wtf is going on with warbotron releasing computron overlapped with bruticus.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Finally stuck my MPs in a display together. Starscream is current default Decepticon leader, and it's not even the good version :saddowns:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

^ Man, I shouldn't have skipped Quakewave.

The Goon posted:

Meanwhile the most recent reports on TFW are saying that it doesn't look like the G1 Devastator at all but retains G1 levels of articulation.

Gah! I'm so torn on selling either my Giant or my Hercules, because I really don't need 3 drat Devastators.

Did your friend say it looked awesome at least? Like better than Hercules?

They were pretty adamant that Titan Devastator would be their official Devastator in their collection. This is a G1 fan who only got back into TF fandom a few years ago, so it has to be at least as G1 as the third party ones, I guess. Then again, there are those rumors about it being Voyager limbs and a Leader body, so who knows? I wish I'd gotten to see the photo.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Blackheart posted:

There's this other 3p releasing an Abominus, it looks decent so far but I like their Blot way more than RIppersnapper. Also I dunno wtf is going on with warbotron releasing computron overlapped with bruticus.

That's Unique Toys, and their Blot (Troll) is pretty incredible. He has a fun little arm-switch function in bot mode so you can give him giant, beefy, claw-fingered, arms if you want. His alt mode is so cool too, I'm totally going in on their Abominus.

Although lately I'm finding my combiner teams more fun when they are apart.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

^ Man, I shouldn't have skipped Quakewave.

They were pretty adamant that Titan Devastator would be their official Devastator in their collection. This is a G1 fan who only got back into TF fandom a few years ago, so it has to be at least as G1 as the third party ones, I guess. Then again, there are those rumors about it being Voyager limbs and a Leader body, so who knows? I wish I'd gotten to see the photo.

Cool, thanks. I was thinking of getting rid of my Hercules anyway tbh. TFC really isn't impressing. I stopped collecting their Defensor when they revealed their horrible Hot Spot and Uranos really isn't that great.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

I just discovered the storage for Generations Arcee's guns. The one for the small gun was a :aaa: "That's so cool!" moment, considering how often accessories don't have anywhere to go, much less make the alt mode BETTER.

I opened her tonight, and kept your post in mind when trying to figure out what to do with the guns. The big one's relatively obvious, but yeah, the little one is clever.

I got the open hand version. Is there much danger in carving down the shoulders in her fists that stop her weapons from going in all the way? Like, carve out too much and her mitts bust apart? Other than that, and she could stand a more comic accurate facial expression, I really like her.

Wife's first comment: "Why does she have to be loving pink." Glad I got Chromia too.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Goon posted:

Cool, thanks. I was thinking of getting rid of my Hercules anyway tbh. TFC really isn't impressing. I stopped collecting their Defensor when they revealed their horrible Hot Spot and Uranos really isn't that great.

I have a very hard time believing Titan Devastator is going to convince me to get rid of Hercules, but Hasbro may surprise me. Uranos' combined mode is disappointing, especially sans Wings of Uranos, but the individual bots more than make up for it. That hasn't stopped me from picking up the CW Aerialbots, of course.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Phy posted:

Wife's first comment: "Why does she have to be loving pink." Glad I got Chromia too.

Chromia's pretty cool, kind of amazing for a retool, as she doesn't feel too much like a retool, except the feet transformation.

Still can't find an Arcee. Which is making me a bit crazy.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Surprising literally no one, Takara is repainting (remolding?) CW Fireflight into Slingshot.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Anora posted:

Chromia's pretty cool, kind of amazing for a retool, as she doesn't feel too much like a retool, except the feet transformation.

Still can't find an Arcee. Which is making me a bit crazy.

Generations Arcee for $23.48 shipped

I realize it's almost the principal of the thing, but that's not a terrible markup, especially given that it's with shipping.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Phy posted:

I got the open hand version. Is there much danger in carving down the shoulders in her fists that stop her weapons from going in all the way? Like, carve out too much and her mitts bust apart? Other than that, and she could stand a more comic accurate facial expression, I really like her.

I didn't know there was another version.
Anyway, I filed out that bit in her hands and had no problems at all. The guns fit in great and her hands still feel sturdy; I've put her guns in/out for transforming several times and see no signs of stress marks.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

catch22 posted:

I realize it's almost the principal of the thing, but that's not a terrible markup, especially given that it's with shipping.

At this point I'd probably just go for it as long as the price was under $25. There's just no guarantee you'll see Arcee or Chromia in stores again. Old product does seem to pop up surprisingly often (First Edition TFP figures in 2013, sudden floods of Blitzwings and Springers last year), but who knows?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I seriously thought she was going to be widely available since I kept seeing her. Had I know she'd dry up so fast I'd have bought every one I saw for guys in this thread.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Is Wingblade supposed to be that small? Look at her compared to Blades, he really shouldn't be the Defensor component who has to mass-shift to combine.

catch22 posted:

BBTS still has Arcee and Chromia bundled for $32 too. I have a suspicion the Arcee wave's going to be one of those that shows up en masse at Ross and Marshal's in about two months, that seems to be the new standard for these final waves of a line, but I wouldn't risk not getting an Arcee on that bet.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Knormal posted:

Is Wingblade supposed to be that small? Look at her compared to Blades, he really shouldn't be the Defensor component who has to mass-shift to combine.

They all mass shift to combine, unless Hot Spot is the largest firetruck ever assembled. When it comes to combiners, assume everyone else is normal sized and the combiners just mass shift to gigantic proportions because of reasons.

quote:

BBTS still has Arcee and Chromia bundled for $32 too. I have a suspicion the Arcee wave's going to be one of those that shows up en masse at Ross and Marshal's in about two months, that seems to be the new standard for these final waves of a line, but I wouldn't risk not getting an Arcee on that bet.

100% agreed. The price on them is just going to go up.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Images of Takara's Aerialbots are out:

Japan didn't seem to like the idea of having a helicopter aerialbot.

I can't it but I think it's going to be a box set?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Giftset and individual listings have been found. I will probably import Slingshot and Wildrider, at the very least, but the more cartoon-accurate paint jobs on the Aerialbots make the giftset tempting.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Yeah, that's what I've seen mentioned. But it looks like we'll be getting extra limbs over here too according to Toys R Us listings.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/toys-r-us-listings-for-combiner-wars-slingshot-and-wildrider-181900/

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
It makes sense because we had waves of deluxes that just consisted of two figures.

This also means we will have an uneven amount of limbs.

Just release Hungrrr Hasbro I don't care if his arms and legs are reject vehicles from other combiners. I will still love him!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Zaa Boogie posted:

Yeah, that's what I've seen mentioned. But it looks like we'll be getting extra limbs over here too according to Toys R Us listings.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/toys-r-us-listings-for-combiner-wars-slingshot-and-wildrider-181900/

I said this was likely a couple of pages back. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever this Rook fella is forcing out of the Protectobots for the official Hasbro Defensor gets their own figure.

A case assortment of loose limbs. Now who's the fourth?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
GOD I hope it's Ambulon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Then First Aid can change the past and he's magically not dead again in the IDWverse!!!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GrimGypsy posted:

I didn't know there was another version.
Anyway, I filed out that bit in her hands and had no problems at all. The guns fit in great and her hands still feel sturdy; I've put her guns in/out for transforming several times and see no signs of stress marks.

:blush: I didn't notice that bit at first, and kinda brute-forced the weapons in. It seems to have had the odd effect of stretching the socket just enough that now the weapons are loose unless you slide them all the way down, but no stress marks visible, so I guess, yay?

Edit: On a related weapon note, I did find a cool storage option for Chromia's gun. If you twist the hands so the hole points vertically, you can slide the gun into her fist in bike mode, like a really long exhaust pipe.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Captain Invictus posted:

Then First Aid can change the past and he's magically not dead again in the IDWverse!!!

You-Know-Who was in that combiner wars toy preview and Devestator's on the way, the dead are probably returning for this event. (and despite it nominally being a comic event, I'm not sure they will remake Monstructor :mad:)

I thought blackrock's speech about the enigma was pretty neat, though. A far more clever way to tie human history to transformers than the movies of course, and a interesting way to bring G. B. Wall of Black Rock back. I also suspect that Prowls Scrapper/Scavenger slip of the tongue might actually be set up for the inferior non-Prowl Devestators return, which is also pretty nice.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I feel so colossally ignorant as to who I need to buy for the combiners that aren't Devastator or Bruticus. Can someone give me a rundown? The packaging showing one of Menasor's dudes attached to Superion scares and confuses me.

Honest Ray fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 22, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Honest Ray posted:

I feel so colossally ignorant as to who I need to buy for the combiners that aren't Devastator or Bruticus. Can someone give me a rundown? The packaging showing one of Menasor's dudes attached to Superion scares and confuses me.

You need to buy all of them.

ALL OF THEM.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rhyno posted:

You need to buy all of them.

ALL OF THEM.

This

They are all numbered for a reason.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Honest Ray posted:

Looking at the TFwiki might help, or regular ol' Wikipedia. What it boils down to is this.

The initial lineup of each combiner has a "variety" option (Rook, Off-road, Alpha Bravo) who isn't a "traditional" limb. Plus, The first two waves at least don't have one whole combiner as there would be nothing else in that class for the wave.

The "traditional" fourth limb for each combiner is coming out at some point because nerds gotta nerd, plus by having more than four possible limbs on a team, one can really Scramble City it up. It's a chance to get a complete combiner without having to murder anyone in-store over it. For those who don't just buy a wave online, of course.

Who is Wildrider a repaint of, does anyone know yet?

Plus, five limbs per combiner, as seems to be the trend = HALF LIFE 3SEACONS CONFIRMED

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honest Ray posted:

Superion:
Silverbolt (big white plane) (If the plane is white and humongous and you have chromey bits, congratulations on your new Jetfire, but he won't combine)
Alpha Bravo (small white helicopter) OR Slingshot (forthcoming small white Harrier jet, redeco of Fireflight)
Fireflight (small red Harrier jet)
Skydive (small gray F-16)
Air Raid (small black F-14) - will be released in the second wave with the stunticon limbs that aren't Dragstrip
Powerglide (Red A-10, smaller than the limbs, turns into a gun for Superion)

Menasor:
Motormaster (big gray semi cab)
Dragstrip (small yellow race car) - was released in the first wave of combiner limbs so that it wouldn't be all planes.
Dead End (small red Ferrari 458 Italia)
Breakdown (small white Lambo)
Offroad (Small black pickup truck) OR Wildrider (Forthcoming Small black Lambo? Repaint of Breakdown maybe?)
Blackjack (Black sports car, smaller than the limbs, turns into a chesticle for Menasor)

Ultra Prime
Optimus Prime (the one with ape arms that looks like motormaster)
We don't know who else is being released for this

Defensor, traditionally:
Hot Spot (light blue fire truck)
Blades (red and white helicopter, see Alpha Bravo)
First Aid (ambulance)
Groove (police motorcycle)
Streetwise (police car)

Bruticus and Devastator you know, other possible G1 combiners are Computron (Technobots), Abominus (Terrorcons), Piranhacon (Seacons), and Predaking (Predacons). Yes, I'm ignoring Monstructor and the micromaster combiners.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Who is Wildrider a repaint of, does anyone know yet?

We don't know, but most probably Breakdown.

tfw2005 posted:

Whatever this is, if you are a fan there is no other way to look at this other than very disrespectful. It is a ploy to get you to buy worthless throwaways like Alpha Bravo and Offroad instead of the correct 5-member teams. This is Classics, not the movies. This is why I haven't bought anything from this line yet. Hasbro pretends to like us then does things that give me zero respect for them because they show zero respect for me. Playing these games with combiner teams over trademarks is ridiculous.

That is if these listings are real. Not only is the timeline extremely convenient, much like how the Club tries to put out press releases and news when the heat is getting on them for yet another gently caress up, TRU does not do individual listings for individual figures with individual SKNs unless they are a single-figure assortment, which would seem strange. Perhaps they are exclusive but that's really even more disrespectful as a lot more people want these than the other garbage.

Hasbro fully deserves a sour relationship with fans until they show the ability to bother to understand the market they are catering to, instead of trying to dick out extra dollars that you will never see again.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Haha, wow. Sorry, TFW weirdos, but Alpha Bravo is a pretty cool little figure. And now Slingshot is coming to the US. So...what's the problem, exactly?