Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Dunno how much you know about bro culture at the academy but the seal selects where the most bro of them all. Even surpassing the lacrosse team. They tend to exhibit a lot of homoeroticism and high five each other and drink poo poo a ton. Which ironically seems to attract to attract the sluts even more. Good guys though. Would trust em with my life.

Meanwhile in my SWO world things are more serious about OPS/INTEL and CASREPS and donuts. Also getting the Captain's coffee just right or fumbling in the darkness to find the CO's binos so you can have it ready for him before he gets to the bridge in the middle of the night because of your "perceived hosed up" contact report. Oh yeah and also having your OPS write a giant x through your paperwork and writing "did you even go to college?" on it.

As a prior e-dawg, enlisted dudes have no idea the pain that officers, especially SWOs, dish out to each other. All is not safety observing and hanging out in staterooms for the junior SWO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Real talk, if I were young and single, and still on active duty around a big city that wasn't necessarily associated with the military, I would buy the gently caress out of some Dolphins and show that poo poo off to any half easy looking chick that looked like they wouldn't mace me immediately. Some dudes did that when we went to the Rose festival and they were dick deep in grade z stripper beef flaps the whole time we were there.

Also, I remember dudes going into Chicago when I was in A school and lying to drunk chicks about all of their military "experience" and being reasonably successful at getting laid. That bs seems to work really well on dumb Midwesterners.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Howard Phillips posted:

As a prior e-dawg, enlisted dudes have no idea the pain that officers, especially SWOs, dish out to each other. All is not safety observing and hanging out in staterooms for the junior SWO.

I got friend of the wardroom (idk if the navy does this) as the booby prize for a morale raffle and ended up having to take all my meals in there for a week and it was pretty wild. Not to mention the heinous poo poo that would go on during O-call when I was standing in for my DH or was the inport OOD.

e: p much anything that's "I'm not from the midwest" will work on a lot of dumb midwesterners, especially chicks looking for a meal ticket and a way out

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

bengy81 posted:

Real talk, if I were young and single, and still on active duty around a big city that wasn't necessarily associated with the military, I would buy the gently caress out of some Dolphins and show that poo poo off to any half easy looking chick that looked like they wouldn't mace me immediately. Some dudes did that when we went to the Rose festival and they were dick deep in grade z stripper beef flaps the whole time we were there.

Also, I remember dudes going into Chicago when I was in A school and lying to drunk chicks about all of their military "experience" and being reasonably successful at getting laid. That bs seems to work really well on dumb Midwesterners.

New York and DC in uniform is loving amazing. Midwest probably is too. Nothing like swaggering down the street in your SDBs with your combo cover titled backwards, tie loosened, and jacket wide open and having bouncer after bouncer letting you skip the line at clubs in NYC. Free drinks and adoring questions from women.

Despite people hating on DC while was I at the academy my issued dinner dress blues were a golden ticket into open bar embassy events and other ritzy poo poo. The only upgrade I made to this was buying an actual silk bow tie.

And also did you guys all go to the Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago after boot camp? Seems to be unofficial muster grounds everywhere in the world for Navy. Going to Hong Kong MWR and shore patrol will be operating from Hard Rock. Thailand: Hard Rock. Dubai: MWR Bus will drop you off at Hard Rock. lol

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Well there's also the fact that the officer billets for BUD/S are extremely competitive. You have to go to OCS, and then go to SEAL Officer Assessment and Selection where, as I understand it, they do a miniature "gut check" to see who is most likely to actually finish the course. Half the billets are reserved for academy grads, and there's apparently fewer than a hundred available most years.

The good news is, if you go to OCS, and then you aren't selected, you have no obligation. If you joined saying "I want to be a SEAL officer" and then aren't selected you can just walk away. I'm not sure if enlisting is still an option if that happens, though. There's a lot of details like that that I need to get more information on before I decide.

This is not true. When you apply for OCS in the Navy, you put your top 3 jobs. You are required to accept whichever slot you are accepted into that had the highest priority on the list (i.e. if I get selected for 2 and 3 but not 1, I must take 2). Therefore, If you get a BUD/s slot as an officer, you will be a commissioned ENS before you ever make it to Coronado. If you fail out of BUD/s, you will be re-designated to another community (probably SWO), you still have an obligation [of 4 active, 4 reserve years] once you accept a commission.

Howard Phillips posted:

Fixed. It was like joining an entirely different Navy when I lat x'fered out of the SWO community (I'm an 1820).

bengy81 posted:

I was in a bar in DC about a month ago talking to some chick for a few minutes. She asked what I did for a living, and literally as soon as the words rolled off my lips she turned around immediately and walked away. True story. And she wasn't even that cook looking....DC chicks just tend to be total cunts 80% of the time. Also true story.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 22, 2015

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

buttplug posted:

I was in a bar in DC about a month ago talking to some chick for a few minutes. She asked what I did for a living, and literally as soon as the words rolled off my lips she turned around immediately and walked away. True story. And she wasn't even that cook looking....DC chicks just tend to be total cunts 80% of the time. Also true story.

you told her about the malware didnt you

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

are you malware? cause i'ma reverse engineer dat assss

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

lol that wanting to try BUD/S is trolling

Because that's why I said you were trolling. :rolleyes:

Howard Phillips posted:

New York and DC in uniform is loving amazing. Midwest probably is too. Nothing like swaggering down the street in your SDBs with your combo cover titled backwards, tie loosened, and jacket wide open and having bouncer after bouncer letting you skip the line at clubs in NYC. Free drinks and adoring questions from women.

Despite people hating on DC while was I at the academy my issued dinner dress blues were a golden ticket into open bar embassy events and other ritzy poo poo. The only upgrade I made to this was buying an actual silk bow tie.

And also did you guys all go to the Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago after boot camp? Seems to be unofficial muster grounds everywhere in the world for Navy. Going to Hong Kong MWR and shore patrol will be operating from Hard Rock. Thailand: Hard Rock. Dubai: MWR Bus will drop you off at Hard Rock. lol

Agreed on NYC, not so much DC. NYC during Fleet Week is double loving amazing. You can pretty much eat and drink for free the whole time you are there. Everyone that has a chance to go should really do it. I did go to the debutantes ball in DC over Thanksgiving break when I was a plebe, poo poo was nice. I got pretty drunk and was talking to some Major there who turned out to be good friends with my company officer and I thought for sure I was headed for restriction but he was really cool.

Glad to see I'm not the only one to notice the Hard Rock phenomenon. Cracks me up.

KetTarma posted:

you told her about the malware didnt you

MancXVI posted:

are you malware? cause i'ma reverse engineer dat assss

LMAO. Probably offered to show her his internet worm too.

ManMythLegend posted:

lol at this thread

Someone needs to post butts and dogges ASAP but I'm too lazy to do it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

BUDS washout puppy.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Someone needs to post butts and dogges ASAP but I'm too lazy to do it.

I miss this fucker. He passes Hawaii quarantine March 17th. It will be the best st. Pattys day ever.

Here he is powering up the cute laser.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Good dogge posts. Laranzu your dogge looks chill as hell. Did you get him from a shelter?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Good dogge posts. Laranzu your dogge looks chill as hell. Did you get him from a shelter?

Hell yeah. Went in to walk some dogs. This dude walked in all skinny and greasy and smelling terrible. They transferred him from Texas to Colorado and cut his balls off the day before. He sat and shook and walked great on the leash.

Peeps always compliment us on how amazing he is but we can't even take credit. His papers say Australian cattle dog mix but he is basically a pit mix.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

buttplug posted:

This is not true. When you apply for OCS in the Navy, you put your top 3 jobs. You are required to accept whichever slot you are accepted into that had the highest priority on the list (i.e. if I get selected for 2 and 3 but not 1, I must take 2). Therefore, If you get a BUD/s slot as an officer, you will be a commissioned ENS before you ever make it to Coronado. If you fail out of BUD/s, you will be re-designated to another community (probably SWO), you still have an obligation [of 4 active, 4 reserve years] once you accept a commission.

I have absolutely no doubt that you're right because, as I said before, a lot of the information I've found, even from official sources, has contradicted other official and unofficial yet reliable sources. But here's where I found this: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/Unrestricted/nsw/Pages/FAQs.aspx

quote:

Is there a service obligation if I apply for Officer Candidate School (OCS) and follow-on SEAL training but am not selected by the board?

If you apply only for 1180 SEAL training and are not selected by the board you do not have a service obligation.

But then that same website talks about having to do an interview for that board, writing an essay and poo poo, whereas moderators on the official SEAL forums say that interviews no longer happen and that everyone asking to go will get a chance at SOAS. So yeah, I just don't know what to believe, which is exactly why I came here and asked if anyone has actually gone.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
SEAL Chat: The real answer about the consequences of failure as an officer kind of depend on the personnel situation the Navy is facing at any given time regardless of instruction. Case in point, when I first commissioned I served with BUDS duds from all of the accession sources that were forced SWO to finish their commitment. Fast forward a little over a decade, and two wars, later and they are often times given the option to walk away. In fact, one of my ROTC DIVOs on my last ship was dropped for medical reasons and was being processed out of the Navy until he asked if he could stay in. They offered him FTS SWO and he took it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Also, one of the best towns I've ever been in in uniform was Milwaukee. It was ridiculous. When I was sitting down with their police chief to talk ATFP and getting his liberty brief he told me, "look, as long as you guys don't rape or murder anybody none of you are getting arrested."

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
I feel stupid for reenlisting, and now even stupider for reading the last 4 pages of this thread.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Laranzu posted:

Hell yeah. Went in to walk some dogs. This dude walked in all skinny and greasy and smelling terrible. They transferred him from Texas to Colorado and cut his balls off the day before. He sat and shook and walked great on the leash.

Peeps always compliment us on how amazing he is but we can't even take credit. His papers say Australian cattle dog mix but he is basically a pit mix.

Good dogge. Rescue pups best pups

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Anybody know of any good soul food places in San Diego?

I lived there for a few years, and I can't remember any but I'm not sure if that's because there aren't any or because I didn't find them. I'm going to be there next week, and it's probably my last chance to get some before I'm stuck in glorious Nippon for the next few years.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 23, 2015

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Can confirm DC women can be cunts about military. I don't even wear a uniform but at a bar I was asked what I do. "Well, I'm stationed--" "ugh... stationed.." and walks off.

The bartender thought this was all pretty hilarious, but he was a BM3 before he started mixing drinks so I'm not about to take his poo poo unless it's on the rocks

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

KetTarma posted:

What.

I'm still in my 20s... for a few more months at least

Yeah, I just wanted to feel better about myself for a little while. You're so young!

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Youth only lends to crippling fears about not having an actual career and ending up like my parents, who just texted me asking for more money.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Here at CTN school we get buds drops all the time.

Last night I showed this image and cracked a joke that dudes who can totally do 10 pullups (crossfit) are gonna be dropping packets and this one dud was like YEAH RIGHT YOU HAVE TO DO LIKE 50! THEY DON'T TAKE ANYTHING LESS and of COURSE it turns out he's a buds drop.

So go ahead and enlist you might end up with an actually nice desk job instead of chipping paint.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Chris Kyle was a racist psychopath who lied about everything he did and was killed by his own stupidity.

What I'm trying to say is that he'd be at home in GiP.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Vriess posted:

Chris Kyle was a racist psychopath who lied about everything he did and was killed by his own stupidity.

Hot take caller, thanks for tuning in. We go next to Bob from San Diego, go ahead Bob.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ManMythLegend posted:

I lived there for a few years, but I can't remember any but I'm not sure if that's because there aren't any or because I didn't find them. I'm going to be there next week, and it's probably my last chance to get some before I'm stuck in glorious Nippon for the next few years.

Barnes BBQ in Lemon Grove is amazing.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Vriess posted:

I don't know why they made a movie about him when there was a guy in Vietnam that had a pretty sick reputation in the Marines that seems like he'd be way cooler on film. Or the Finnish guy that killed a shitload of people and survived getting shot in the face. Didn't they also modify a few things to make it seem more tense than what he wrote in his book?

In other news, checked in on my BAH chit that's been sitting in admin since August, apparently it being "right next up" is a lie because the person that's supposed to sign before the CMC didn't even look at it. I've been laughing pretty hard since pulling it out, especially since other dudes that just checked in are getting theirs approved before me, or maybe they're getting lied to as well and theirs will mysteriously vanish in a bit.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Pandasmores posted:

In other news, checked in on my BAH chit that's been sitting in admin since August, apparently it being "right next up" is a lie because the person that's supposed to sign before the CMC didn't even look at it. I've been laughing pretty hard since pulling it out, especially since other dudes that just checked in are getting theirs approved before me, or maybe they're getting lied to as well and theirs will mysteriously vanish in a bit.

Marry a hooker.

Divorce after 3 months, cite irreconcilable differences.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

I don't know why they made a movie about him when there was a guy in Vietnam that had a pretty sick reputation in the Marines that seems like he'd be way cooler on film. Or the Finnish guy that killed a shitload of people and survived getting shot in the face. Didn't they also modify a few things to make it seem more tense than what he wrote in his book?

Maybe Xmas treeing a test and being near the end of your contract has affected how the command prioritizes your paperwork. I know when I was a dirtbag I had to hand route all my poo poo and not let anyone hold chits for me that weren't complete

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

There was a place called Acme Southern Kitchen but apparently now closed

Sister Pee Wee's looks promising

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Here at CTN school we get buds drops all the time.

Seems to be a lot of them indeed. Got a few in holding.

I'm the boot in the corner being all boot like.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

Barnes BBQ in Lemon Grove is amazing.

Cool.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

There was a place called Acme Southern Kitchen but apparently now closed

Sister Pee Wee's looks promising

Awesome.

Thanks guys. Gonna check em out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gonna check out the 2nd one this weekend :cmon:

I don't drink but if you want to ride a tandem bike or something

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

ManMythLegend posted:

Cool.

Awesome.

hodad's down in ocean beach is p cool (i hate pacific beach tho ymmv)

also if you like insanely cheap mexican food and are in the point loma area: http://www.yelp.com/biz/adalbertos-mexican-food-san-diego-2?osq=mexican+fast+food

justice4trayvawn fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 23, 2015

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

buttplug posted:

Fixed. It was like joining an entirely different Navy when I lat x'fered out of the SWO community (I'm an 1820).

Only lat xfer I would consider is FAO and you have to be promoted to LCDR anyways for that. So that's post DH ride.

Unlike most people the only reason I would stay in is to be a SWO DH. My SWO pin burns deep. Nothing like getting underway and doing ops.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Howard Phillips posted:

Unlike most people the only reason I would stay in is to be a SWO DH. My SWO pin burns deep. Nothing like getting underway and doing circles.

ftfy

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
Anything suffixed with -berto's is quality mexican food in San Diego

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Man, the northeast states suck wrt taxes. I owed money (I looked it up, and it makes sense why I owed taxes, the withholding didn't account for the minimum amount I have to pay in taxes AND the percentage, but it sucks to have to pay taxes AGAIN.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

I have absolutely no doubt that you're right because, as I said before, a lot of the information I've found, even from official sources, has contradicted other official and unofficial yet reliable sources. But here's where I found this: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/Unrestricted/nsw/Pages/FAQs.aspx

But then that same website talks about having to do an interview for that board, writing an essay and poo poo, whereas moderators on the official SEAL forums say that interviews no longer happen and that everyone asking to go will get a chance at SOAS. So yeah, I just don't know what to believe, which is exactly why I came here and asked if anyone has actually gone.

I went to OCS. And I'm an officer. If you apply for and are accepted to OCS, commission, and wash out of BUD/S the Navy still owns you for 4+4 years. I know half a dozen guys (2 of whom went to OCS at the same time I did) who washed out of BUD/S and ended up as SWOS or IW/intel guys.

Howard Phillips posted:

Unlike most people the only reason I would stay in is to be a SWO DH. My SWO pin burns deep. Nothing like getting underway and doing ops.

Dafuq?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Gonna check out the 2nd one this weekend :cmon:

I don't drink but if you want to ride a tandem bike or something

Yeah, depending on how jet lagged I am, and what some of my buddies plans are, I'm down for meet with some other SD squids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

Cool.

Awesome.

Barnes has a soul food buffet that is legit, and a night of the week, maybe Monday, that is $.99 fried chicken/catfish. Goddamn do I miss that place.

• Locked thread