Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In non-anime news, BundleStars is running a couple promos and this caught my eye: Space Rangers HD for $3.75, which appears to be its lowest ever price. A fair number of goons seem to enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

in non-circlejerk territory, to be more specific, Indie Royale somehow accidentally put together an adequate (not good, ADEQUATE) bundle for $1.99 that includes Tiny & Big, The Last Door, Words for Evil and Metal Dead:

http://www.indieroyale.com/?royale=204

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Jordan7hm posted:

In non-anime news, BundleStars is running a couple promos and this caught my eye: Space Rangers HD for $3.75, which appears to be its lowest ever price. A fair number of goons seem to enjoy it.

The video on that site doesn't seem all that informative. So it's a 2d action/arcade space shooter? With I guess what looks like some sort of planet-based RTS portion?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Quest For Glory II posted:

in non-circlejerk territory, to be more specific, Indie Royale somehow accidentally put together an adequate (not good, ADEQUATE) bundle for $1.99 that includes Tiny & Big, The Last Door, Words for Evil and Metal Dead:

I am reasonably sure this is going to be more worthwhile than their current mystery bundle by the end of that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I think they've just nearly exhausted their supply of bottom-of-the-barrel dung so they've resorted to one or two good games per bundle now. But don't worry, I'm sure with the new influx of anime crap they'll be back to making the worst bundles in the world in no time.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Kragger just dropped Ziggurat on me, and I only just wishlisted it because it was mentioned recently in this thread. What a man!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

WarLocke posted:

The video on that site doesn't seem all that informative. So it's a 2d action/arcade space shooter? With I guess what looks like some sort of planet-based RTS portion?

From the RPGCodex review:

quote:

let's combine Elite-like trading and exploration, turn-based space battles, arcade space battles, some pirate stuff, dynamic universe, text adventures, saving the universe from some impeding doom stuff, liberating planets RTS style, some Mechwarrior stuff, and all kind of crazy little things, like getting a plastic surgery at a Pirate Base, when you become too popular and not in a good way.

e: and the steam link is here
http://store.steampowered.com/app/214730/

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Speaking of Indie Royale, is QP Shooting good enough to justify getting this bundle (http://www.indieroyale.com/?royale=202) just for it? I have a lot of shooter games in my library already.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

God damnit I thought I liked time travel shenanigans but Achron is just hurting my brain. :psypop:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

2 bucks for Tiny & Big is some good poo poo.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

WarLocke posted:

God damnit I thought I liked time travel shenanigans but Achron is just hurting my brain. :psypop:

I bought it back when it was in beta and holy crap it's insane. On the other hand, it's actually a fairly "legitimate" handling of time travel, up to and including correct handling of paradoxes, etc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also russian and badly translated as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlixbA7_CH4

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

Also russian and badly translated as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlixbA7_CH4

Yes, please use the over 5-year old video of the intro cinematic, despite the game being much reworked and patched and translated. You're so great.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

I bought it back when it was in beta and holy crap it's insane. On the other hand, it's actually a fairly "legitimate" handling of time travel, up to and including correct handling of paradoxes, etc.

Yeah I am going to keep an eye out for it going on sale, it looks neat but I have so many ther games on my account I don't feel like I can justify $20 for this.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

Speaking of Indie Royale, is QP Shooting good enough to justify getting this bundle (http://www.indieroyale.com/?royale=202) just for it? I have a lot of shooter games in my library already.

I liked it. It's a pretty good and difficult bullet-hell. Nothing too stand out about it but it does have some nice things like being able to choose your attack formations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Justin_Brett posted:

I can't speak for the quality of the game itself, but the bundle is about half the price of what the game by itself went for in the recent Steam anime sale.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Justin_Brett posted:

I only played a level and my game crashed after two animes spent what felt like forever discussing pudding, I'd say avoid

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
QP Shooting is a very good and cute game and it's not a bad bullet hell game either. I'd say it's worth 4 bucks. I have never had it crash on me and the pudding chat goes on for like 2 minutes before each boss. If you don't like pudding, avoid. If you're a human being, buy it.

edit: vvv Also buy Ziggurat like this dude says. It is also a good game.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 22, 2015

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I picked up Zygurat on recomendation from this thread and I just had to come by and say thanks. Game is extremely my poo poo, plays like a procedural Wizard's Serious Sam with so many unlocks. It is awesome and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes throwing napalm grenades at carrots or stuff like that.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
How many unlocks are you talking?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are so many goddamn unlocks. On my first playthrough I unlocked 2 new classes, 10 new upgrade perks, 4 new weapons, and I only made it to the third floor. I don't even know how long the game is but drat I unlocked a lot of stuff.

To give an example of how cool this game is: The first gun I picked up was a blunderbuss that shoots flaming magma cannonballs. The second wand I picked up consumes enemies' souls and leaves them stunned while giving you more mana energy.

edit: i cant do math, math has been fixed

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 22, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

CJacobs posted:

There are so many goddamn unlocks. On my first playthrough I unlocked 2 new classes, 10 new upgrade perks, 4 new weapons, and I only made it to the third floor. I don't even know how long the game is but drat I unlocked a lot of stuff.

edit: i cant do math, math has been fixed

How much variety in the enemies/gameplay does it have? Is it basically just strafe backwards while shooting everything constantly?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is most of the gameplay, yes. The Serious Sam comparison was not unfounded, most of my time playing so far was spent juking enemy projectiles. There's pretty good enemy variety though, no two enemy types behave the same way, and there are bonus modifiers to rooms (big enemies, everything does x4 damage including you, enemies explode into giblets) and rare modifiers put on enemies that give them more health or faster attack or whatever.

edit: I should note though that it's not entirely like Serious Sam in that you're expected to just eat bullets to the face all the time 24/7. This game does not work in that way. Enemy projectiles are telegraphed or visible or otherwise in a pattern that you can recognize and avoid if you're paying attention, which is good because the only way to refill your health is to collect health vials from killed enemies (besides some of the upgrade perks).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 22, 2015

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jamfrost posted:

How many unlocks are you talking?

There are about ~151 perk/weapon unlocks, plus 11 unlockable characters, from a quick look at the skulls.

There is a lot of variety in how you have to play. I am spoiling it because figuring out enemy patterns is part of the gameplay, but you get Yoshis that poison surfaces, crossbow kobolds that will lead their shots if you get predictable, flying crocodiles with homing bolts of lightning, flying ramming skulls that I loving hate, kamikaze golems, giant skeletons with hugeass shields and shockwave attacks you have to jump over and and other stuff. It can get pretty hectic, specially when enemy types get mixed up and you will usually be switching weapons according to the situation. Game's friggin' boss.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh my god, on max everything Ryse becomes a bit choppy :ohdear:.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Space Rangers pre-HD was janky, but not in a bad or unplayable way janky. I played the poo poo out of SR2 a few years ago when it wasn't newly revamped so four bucks for is a great price, it should only be better.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Palpek posted:

Better watch a different movie then.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Space Rangers HD: A War Apart is the reworked, retranslated one. It's perfectly playable now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Better watch a different movie then.
Well since Gladiator sequel is nowhere in sight there's not much of a choice.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Palpek posted:

Out of sheer curiosity, what GPU/resolution are you running?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Imagined posted:

Here's something I will never understand.

A Steam Review: "This game is complete and irredeemable poo poo. It's awful and no one on should play it. It's buggy and imbalanced and doesn't work gently caress this game I hope the people who made it die in a fire with their children blah blah blah blah...
632.14 hours on record."

I read these as "a patch made a change to my favorite class/weapon" or "I lost once too many times".

Some games, like Train Simulator, gives customers a free and forced upgrade whenever they release a new version. A lot of people who played Train Simulator 2014 or whatever absolutely hated 2015 so that game has people with tons of hours played write bad reviews.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Developers not only have released DLCs for several hundreds of earthly dollars, but also have forced to upgrade? :laffo:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I might be confusing it with another "simulator" game, but there was definitely one of them where this was the case.

Anyway, I think there are probably more games like this.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 22, 2015

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
I think the majority of game play times like that are due to glitches/bugs, I'm fairly sure there's a way to modify your playtime manually as well.

That being said, I could certainly see how someone could invest 1000 of hours into a game and not recommend it. Kinda of like "hey this game destroyed my life plz don't let it do the same to you" -man who really likes trains

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I've played 300+ hours of STALKER: Clear Sky and I wouldn't recommend it because I know most people wouldn't like it (or many things I do). I wouldn't go out of my way to write a negative/thumbs-down review, but I know objectively that it turns a lot of people off.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Morter posted:

I've played 300+ hours of STALKER: Clear Sky and I wouldn't recommend it because I know most people wouldn't like it (or many things I do). I wouldn't go out of my way to write a negative/thumbs-down review, but I know objectively that it turns a lot of people off.
When are you going to beat The Stalin Subway: Red Veil that I gave you. :colbert:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Zedd posted:

When are you going to beat The Stalin Subway: Red Veil that I gave you. :colbert:

When it starts working :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, why didn't anyone tell me that Toybox Turbos was a thing?! I loved the poo poo out of pretty much all incarnations of Micro Machines games back in the day (especially the N64 version, it was perfect), and I love that this is the spiritual sequel. I can see myself someday playing this with my son, and it makes me happy. And there's a demo! Man, downloading the demo so hard when I get home tonight.

Oh, that reminds me, I assume this has local multiplayer; when you play local multiplayer on Steam, only one person can be signed in, right? The other people would just be known as 'Player 2/3/4/etc'? Is there any way to sign in to a Steam profile even for the purposes of being an additional local player, like you can do on the 360, PS3, and I assume the Xbone/PS4?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Something to look forward to in the future - Devolver have just signed Ronin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLmbeogBfqU

I played a prototype build of this a while back. It looks kinda like Gunpoint, has goals and gear similar to Mark of The Ninja, but what really sets it apart is the turn-based combat. One hit is death, and you basically plan out one action at a time, with lines showing you which enemies will be shooting where, during that turn.

Coolest thing I did in the prototype was leap off a ledge above a guard, throw my sword down through his body fast enough to have it bounce off the floor, grapple-swung from the ceiling and caught the flying, rebounding blade all without touching the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Dominic White posted:

Something to look forward to in the future - Devolver have just signed Ronin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLmbeogBfqU

I played a prototype build of this a while back. It looks kinda like Gunpoint, has goals and gear similar to Mark of The Ninja, but what really sets it apart is the turn-based combat. One hit is death, and you basically plan out one action at a time, with lines showing you which enemies will be shooting where, during that turn.

Coolest thing I did in the prototype was leap off a ledge above a guard, throw my sword down through his body fast enough to have it bounce off the floor, grapple-swung from the ceiling and caught the flying, rebounding blade all without touching the ground.

OK I can see myself playing that :stare:

• Locked thread