Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Don't buy anything but characteristics (the core stats) at chargen because you can never, ever raise them again (except through deep dips into the talent tree or expensive cybernetics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FishFood posted:

Do you remember what career you have? I'm guessing your specialization is Pilot, but is that from the Ace career or the Smuggler? If you're an Ace, I would look into the Gunner specialization if you think you'll be doing more of that than anything. I almost think it might be better for you to be the pilot, though, considering your character is a, uh, pilot. See if someone else wants to take over gunning duties.

As far as talent choice goes, as long as you're sticking with your theme, it's hard to go wrong. I like to pick a lot of the active talents, because they give you some cool narrative control. All of the Pilot's active talents are sweet, even the really early one, Full Throttle. Pick stuff that makes your duder kickin rad, don't worry about min maxing or whatever.

Alright cool, it's good to see min-maxing isn't an issue/required. And yeah, my ace specialization is piloting (space specifically, but both have the same amount/types of dice in the end), so I might get that 'full throttle' one, if you recommend it. Is it better/worse for a freighter though, if we're going to be flying as slow as a wet weekend, regardless?

Also, the backup pilot's not bad; they've got three yellow dice (no greens), so they're only slightly worse than me - however I think the most other people have in gunnery is two greens, unfortunately. It's a slightly tricky situation we're in, there. I don't suppose there's some kind of 'IFF auto-targeting' add-on you can get for ship turrets that make gunners obsolete/unnecessary, is there?

EDIT: ^^^ Alright, well that's good in a sense then, since I initially wasn't sure about whether I should get a fourth point in agility right off the bat or not, but I'm glad I did, now.

EDIT EDIT: Oh also, on the topic of that cutlass again, what's the recommended base amount of dice for being able to hold your own (on occasion/in emergencies, at least) in melee combat? Since at the moment I've got 1Y1G, although I'm not sure if that's adequate, or if I should raise it to 2Y, then more-or-less never touch that skill/stat again. (I suppose at least unless that, too, is too low!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 22, 2015

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Major Isoor posted:

Alright cool, it's good to see min-maxing isn't an issue/required. And yeah, my ace specialization is piloting (space specifically, but both have the same amount/types of dice in the end), so I might get that 'full throttle' one, if you recommend it. Is it better/worse for a freighter though, if we're going to be flying as slow as a wet weekend, regardless?

Also, the backup pilot's not bad; they've got three yellow dice (no greens), so they're only slightly worse than me - however I think the most other people have in gunnery is two greens, unfortunately. It's a slightly tricky situation we're in, there. I don't suppose there's some kind of 'IFF auto-targeting' add-on you can get for ship turrets that make gunners obsolete/unnecessary, is there?

EDIT: ^^^ Alright, well that's good in a sense then, since I initially wasn't sure about whether I should get a fourth point in agility right off the bat or not, but I'm glad I did, now.

EDIT EDIT: Oh also, on the topic of that cutlass again, what's the recommended base amount of dice for being able to hold your own (on occasion/in emergencies, at least) in melee combat? Since at the moment I've got 1Y1G, although I'm not sure if that's adequate, or if I should raise it to 2Y, then more-or-less never touch that skill/stat again. (I suppose at least unless that, too, is too low!)

So Full Throttle is pretty good on freighters too, maybe a bit more narratively than in straight up combat. But if you're trying to get away from some Star Destroyers you can do that, up your top speed, then yell at your copilot "[not-chewie], punch it!" and get the hell out of dodge.

I don't have my rulebooks with me right now, but if I remember, there is a ship attachment to make gunnery checks easier, but I almost want to just recommend one of you picking a different spec or giving your DM a wink-wink, nudge-nudge, we should have two ships. Maybe you could take on some more obligation, like your fighter is stolen or you had to go into debt or something.

As far as melee goes, you'll do ok with that pool. There's always destiny points, too. You won't be a beast, but you'll be able to hit things and kill minions no problem. Melee scales in a strange way, what with your damage being so tied to your Brawn score, so specializing will pay off more, but more with ability than skill points.

But really, just pick cool stuff that lets you do cool things. Don't worry about doing things you're not super good at, failure in this game is just as fun as success, and sometimes even more fun. One of the best encounters my group has had involved a Brawn 1 Drall Scholar blindly swinging a cane in the dark at some Hutt goons.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Everblight posted:

Don't buy anything but characteristics (the core stats) at chargen because you can never, ever raise them again (except through deep dips into the talent tree or expensive cybernetics)

While this is true-ish, the deep dips to Dedication are not THAT expensive; it's not many sessions before your first one, if you're following the expected guidelines for XP and concentrate on getting to it.

Also, affirming the previous comment about not worrying about being bad at stuff, if you generally go toward characteristics and top off with some talents and skills, and your party members do the same, you'll have decent "baselines" for the skills even without investing XP (like, Agility or Brawn 4 can give you a strong-ish combat character even with no points in skills), as long as you don't all pump the same characteristics.

homullus fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 22, 2015

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Major Isoor posted:

Also, the backup pilot's not bad; they've got three yellow dice (no greens), so they're only slightly worse than me - however I think the most other people have in gunnery is two greens, unfortunately. It's a slightly tricky situation we're in, there. I don't suppose there's some kind of 'IFF auto-targeting' add-on you can get for ship turrets that make gunners obsolete/unnecessary
The Advanced Targeting Computer- upgrades gunnery checks up to twice. Perhaps a bit *too* good, as it stacks with existing skill ranks rather than just being a way to bump up unskilled chumps you brought along. I wish there was something like like the Accuracy Corrector from X-Wing- that let you take 2S rather than rolling your skill pool.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Any good music you guys can recommend to play during a game? The movie soundtracks are obvious, but I was wondering if there's other good mood music I could check out

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Any good music you guys can recommend to play during a game? The movie soundtracks are obvious, but I was wondering if there's other good mood music I could check out

Well, if your group does a lot of spacefaring and like Deep Purple, you might enjoy Space Truckin'. (Also possibly Flash by Queen) :D

On the topic of the SW soundtrack, has anyone here got an audio file for the cantina music? I can't seem to be able to find the bloody thing anywhere, unfortunately.

EDIT: Also thanks for the heads-up on that Advanced Targeting Computer; I think it being 'too good' may wind up being 'adequate' later on in the game, since it doesn't look like anyone else is going to be putting any points into gunnery, so I'll take any edge we can get! (especially as we're getting a second turret fixed to the freighter, so I can man one, and someone else can man the other gun, that we'll -eventually- get the ATC for, or something)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 23, 2015

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Major Isoor posted:

On the topic of the SW soundtrack, has anyone here got an audio file for the cantina music? I can't seem to be able to find the bloody thing anywhere, unfortunately.

Funky Cantina Music?

Or how about 10 hours of the Cantina Song?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

All three Mass Effect soundtracks.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
My group needed to find someone with a high Pilot (Planetary) skill for one of their overcomplicated schemes, so we worked out the concept of droid rental. If you need a droid, just thumb through the old WEG or Wizards droid books until you find what you need, then pay 1/100th of its purchase price per day, plus an additional 1/100th in deposit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So basically I could steal a droid for 2% of its cost?

I can probably get at least 10% MSRP on the black market. :getin:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Then you get the bounty hunters, because you just ripped off someone with enough money to make you pay dearly.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

echopapa posted:

My group needed to find someone with a high Pilot (Planetary) skill for one of their overcomplicated schemes, so we worked out the concept of droid rental. If you need a droid, just thumb through the old WEG or Wizards droid books until you find what you need, then pay 1/100th of its purchase price per day, plus an additional 1/100th in deposit.

Why not just hire a Duros? They're all great pilots (not spacist)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Iceclaw posted:

Then you get the bounty hunters, because you just ripped off someone with enough money to make you pay dearly.

And thus an awesome adventure is born.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Is there a point to doing both stun and regular damage to bad guys? It seems like once they hit the Strain/Wound threshold, none of the other damage matters.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Flame112 posted:

Is there a point to doing both stun and regular damage to bad guys? It seems like once they hit the Strain/Wound threshold, none of the other damage matters.

Stun damage IS regular damage to Minions and Rivals, so it makes no difference unless you need them alive for story reasons. Nemeses you want to burn down using one or the other.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fuzz posted:

And thus an awesome adventure is born.

Oh, I agree completely.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Thanks! I actually grabbed a really cool little map from DriveThruRPG that suits my needs almost exactly. It's for another system of course, but all I need is the floorplans themselves, not any of the stats.

alg posted:

PM me!

Roger that.

jivjov posted:

Have stats for the TIE Mauler ever shown up in this system yet? I have plans for a ground assault at some point in my campaign and could use some TIE tanks.

Not yet. Hopefully I'll get them into a future supplement, 'cause goddamn do I love tanks.

Also, someone mentioned upthread doing a Kelly's Heroes adventure in Age. I did one for Only War that went really, really well. Currently I'm putting together a demo game that's The Magnificent Seven set in Age, where the PCs are Rebel engineers defending a colony from a small Imperial invasion force.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
AoR has two supplements so far. They'll probably end up doing an AoR supplement that's just an Imperial armoury book with vehicle/weapon/etc. stats for all the stuff we haven't seen yet at some point in the future.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Also, someone mentioned upthread doing a Kelly's Heroes adventure in Age. I did one for Only War that went really, really well. Currently I'm putting together a demo game that's The Magnificent Seven set in Age, where the PCs are Rebel engineers defending a colony from a small Imperial invasion force.

That was me, I was planning on doing a Kelly's Heroes in my own Only War game but it fell through for a number of reasons between some of my players being too into Warhammer 40k, all obedience to the Emperor and the group just falling apart because of school and work schedules.

Right now in my EoE game I've got a three way plot of two of the characters off trying to get in touch with a Hutts crime ring cause they happened to recover a bunch of Spice that belongs to him and they want to play nice and return the drugs. One player, who is an Ex-Imperial himself has just gotten hired on as a Surveyor for an Imperial project of building a Monrail line Between Mos Eisley and Anchorhead on Tattoine, while the rest of the players are playing out Once Upon A Time In The West where a small time crime boss is planning on selling the local watering hole and the valuable land around it to the Empire for when the Monrail line comes through.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

AoR has two supplements so far. They'll probably end up doing an AoR supplement that's just an Imperial armoury book with vehicle/weapon/etc. stats for all the stuff we haven't seen yet at some point in the future.

God I would love if they just did an Imperial armoury book.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Hey, does anybody have a better vehicle sheet than the one from FFG? I've done a lot of googling, but can't seem to find one that's any different. I'd really like a place to put critical hits down, and maybe some more detail for the cargo space, encumbrance and rarity/legal status.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

According to the upcoming page, Lords of Nal Hutta will be in stores 2/5

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

The Kelly's Heroes setup seems like it would also work for an Imperial campaign.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Madurai posted:

The Kelly's Heroes setup seems like it would also work for an Imperial campaign.

So could Hogan's Heroes

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Madurai posted:

I ran it as a demo/convention game. An Imperial Guard mechanized infantry squad (with three Lehman Russ as support) tangles with Orks and one one of the bodies, a lieutenant finds a map and a not that reads, "'da 'umie loot iz 'dat way". They end up in a town thirty miles behind the Ork lines where they have to destroy a warboss, his warband, and a pair of looted Baneblades. Hilarity has ensued every time I run that.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Azhais posted:

So could Hogan's Heroes

You have failed me for the last time, Schultz!

God, I really want to see a Star Wars version of Hogan's Heroes, now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Madurai posted:

RIP ImpGame. :smith:

Was bummed that it never made it to the 100 Duty upgrade stage... I was going to loop in a Force user (Asoka Tanno, if anyone cares) as an antagonist and the upgrade was going to be the party returning from a mission to be debriefed and finding Darth Vader force choking the Moff to death, because he was pissed she'd interfered with his tracking of another target (and his old padawan). Then he's threaten them but then decide that they were more useful to him as assets and they'd start working directly for Vader, hunting down Jedi. Thought that'd be a neat twist. If any of them died, they could reroll as Noghri as well as humans, and I was gonna roll a couple dice to decide how many and who amongst the group apparently had some Force sensitivity, and Vader would start training them to better hunt Jedi.

Ah well. If any of you wanna steal that campaign idea and such, go for it. I had seriously considered pitching it to FF along with the rest of the Imperial stuff as part of an Empire splat for AoR, but eh... probably wouldn't happen with Disney running the license.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I was kind of interested in running a similar game, but with the pawns and acolytes of an Inquisitor, as an introduction to F&D. Possibly having corrupted younglings and untrained sensitives among them, and being tasked with wiping out Jedi traces like ruins and survivors.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

For me, the most interesting parts of an Imperial campaign would be the law & order stuff (against Hutts, Black Sun, pirates, smugglers, rogue Jedi and Sith) against a backdrop of Rebels making your job harder. Mustache-twirling "let's go kill good guys!" doesn't appeal.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think it'd be fun to run a game as Imperial loyalists. Not the people stationed on the Death Star, or the bridge crew of a Star Destroyer, but normal joes who grew up in the waning days of the Republic and who bought the "we're reorganizing into an Empire" line at face value.

There's some fun to be had playing as someone who believes in the government, and legitimately believes that the Alderaan incident was just propaganda. See things from the other side, so to speak.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So basically the Republic/Imperial Sector Rangers from the old WEG materials?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
A game where the PCs are a garrison on some sleepy backwater dealing with local criminals and the nonsensical orders from their Moff about "curtailing resistance" could be pretty fun. Basically "Troops: the Campaign".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So basically the Republic/Imperial Sector Rangers from the old WEG materials?

I'm not familiar with said materials, but I'll have to check it out.

Basically I kinda don't like the idea of every single Imperial citizen of being a Lawful/Neutral Evil, ragingly xenophobic, British mustache twirler. This gets brought up in a handful of EU novels; a lot of people didn't really give a womprat's rear end who was in charge, and a bunch others actually preferred the more ordered, centralized Imperial government. The cartoonishly evil faction was all Palpatine and the rest of the inner circle.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

I think it'd be fun to run a game as Imperial loyalists. Not the people stationed on the Death Star, or the bridge crew of a Star Destroyer, but normal joes who grew up in the waning days of the Republic and who bought the "we're reorganizing into an Empire" line at face value.

There's some fun to be had playing as someone who believes in the government, and legitimately believes that the Alderaan incident was just propaganda. See things from the other side, so to speak.

Yeah, that would be a great Colonist game, really. Section 96 was supposed to be more like an anti-terrorism 24 Jack Bauer style "do whatever it takes to bring the terrorists to justice" but in the end, particularly with certain scenes/characters it became more of a "let's be rear end in a top hat Gestapo" sort of thing. I think the unnecessary cruelty rule we adapted from that blog was part of it, plus people's impression of the Empire as it is.

Really sad that the Clone game died... I was really enjoying that one and thought it was an awesome premise.

I think I might just start running rolling one shot games that are less about progression and more about using the (extra) experience you start with to good effect... small 2-4 player games with one shot stories that last about a month, then move on to a new story with new characters/players. Probably would work better with PbP anyway.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 28, 2015

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FishFood posted:

A game where the PCs are a garrison on some sleepy backwater dealing with local criminals and the nonsensical orders from their Moff about "curtailing resistance" could be pretty fun. Basically "Troops: the Campaign".

That's exactly the thing I've been trying to scrape together locally. Not a lot of takers so far. :smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

jivjov posted:

I'm not familiar with said materials, but I'll have to check it out.

Basically I kinda don't like the idea of every single Imperial citizen of being a Lawful/Neutral Evil, ragingly xenophobic, British mustache twirler. This gets brought up in a handful of EU novels; a lot of people didn't really give a womprat's rear end who was in charge, and a bunch others actually preferred the more ordered, centralized Imperial government. The cartoonishly evil faction was all Palpatine and the rest of the inner circle.

They're basically an inter-galactic police force for the Republic/Empire that goes around as individuals or small teams fighting crime where local authorities might be limited by jurisdictional issues. They get their own ships and equipment and can even requisition local police or Republic/Imperial military assets in the pursuit of their duties (though requisitioning the latter is something not to be done lightly). Rangers tend to have a wide variety of skills and talents and often work undercover.

They get a brief mention in the EotE Core Rulebook actually, in the fluff sections for the Empire and its various security authorities. "The Imperial Office of Criminal Investigations also supervises the Sector Rangers - independent and long-respected providers of law and order in the farthest sectors of the galaxy."

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I ran some “Imperial” episodes of a campaign where the players were undercover agents trying to prop up the Empire’s most extravagant, pretentious, and incompetent Moff so that criminals and Rebels could continue to plunder his sector without interference.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

homullus posted:

For me, the most interesting parts of an Imperial campaign would be the law & order stuff (against Hutts, Black Sun, pirates, smugglers, rogue Jedi and Sith) against a backdrop of Rebels making your job harder. Mustache-twirling "let's go kill good guys!" doesn't appeal.

Admittingly, my plan was more of having players starts out as being more or less brainwashed and/or openly enslaved, and getting a chance to broaden their horizons through finding remains of the Jedi. Not sure of how viable this would be though.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think it would be fun to run an Imperial campaign and the Stormtroopers are all totally inept chucklefucks who can't see out of their helmets, shoot the broadside of a barn or really do anything competently at all. Just like the Empire in the actual movies!

Basically, Troops: the Game would be hella fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That is so loving funky, so I'm stealing it for my own group. It would fit with my GM counterpart's campaign "Mistakes in Space".

Unfortunately, my own campaign is too grimdark and edgy for this much funk. Dromund Kaas has a +2 Setback Dice penalty to tone.