Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Helicity posted:

I had problems framing things with the GW690 so I sold it to help finance a different MF system.

Yuuup. I tend to approach shooting medium format very differently than 35mm and while the aspect ratio works fantastic for me in the latter, it's almost always too wide for MF and I end up having to crop everything back after I scan. I find with MF, I'm not necessarily trying to fill a frame so much as convey what I'm shooting in a more deliberate manner and the lack of vertical tension almost always kills it.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

try it with a lime posted:

Yuuup. I tend to approach shooting medium format very differently than 35mm and while the aspect ratio works fantastic for me in the latter, it's almost always too wide for MF and I end up having to crop everything back after I scan. I find with MF, I'm not necessarily trying to fill a frame so much as convey what I'm shooting in a more deliberate manner and the lack of vertical tension almost always kills it.

Pshaw! Heresy....

Is it the most easy camera to frame with? No. Handholding slow speeds isn't that easy either...
Do you need super sperg level framing to make good pictures? Again - I think -- no.

Just ask all the other rangefinder photogs of old...

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's not an issue of the rangefinder. I shoot with an M6 almost exclusively and the GW690 is essentially just a larger meterless version. For me, it's very much a problem of the aspect ratio working against how I want to approach a scene, not the act of framing itself.

Also, I really like the first two shots you posted a whole lot.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I'm fairly positive that I will only be shooting squares this year.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

It's not an issue of the rangefinder. I shoot with an M6 almost exclusively and the GW690 is essentially just a larger meterless version. For me, it's very much a problem of the aspect ratio working against how I want to approach a scene, not the act of framing itself.

Also, I really like the first two shots you posted a whole lot.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense to me now - and I agree. Because 6x9 is kind of 'painful' for me, too.
I'm definitely working harder to get good results -- and get less of them - compared to 6x6 or even 6x7, which is harder but not 6x9 hard.

At the same time -- I feel that if I can somehow get good at using 6x9 it will lift my other photography as well. So I keep going at it. Also all that jazz about leaving your safe spaces and so on ...

And yeah I like the first two the most as well. The last being a runner-up. The first one is one of those pictures, which despite their technical imperfections -- or especially because of them(?) seems to work very well for me. This kind pictures represents the intrigue and mystery of photography for me, something that makes it okay to step out of my aforementioned safe spaces.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

They're fast and loose and pretty spooky. I think it definitely gives them an edge over the others.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I really think the best shots I've taken with the gw690 are in portrait orientation, is that something you guys have played with much?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Scanning some of my grandpa's Kodachrome slides:

Florida 1979 by Winston85, on Flickr

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Spedman posted:

I really think the best shots I've taken with the gw690 are in portrait orientation, is that something you guys have played with much?

To be honest, not particularly much, no. I guess because my main shooting style was 1x1 aspect for so long, different orientations is not something that's intrinsic to my shooting.

Also, Mightaswell, that shot owns owns owns. Though maybe you should spot the end of the tunnel, it's especially dusty.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I use Ilfotec HC as my B&W developer and for some reason I always thought the highest dilution I could use was 1+31, but I got the massive dev chart iphone app and it tells me I can do 1+47 for certain films. I tried it with some HP5+ tonight and the grain is way way noticeably reduced. I was always kind of disappointed with how grainy HP5 came out, but this is really nice.

Mightaswell posted:

Scanning some of my grandpa's Kodachrome slides:

Florida 1979 by Winston85, on Flickr

:eyepop:

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 22, 2015

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I just developed a few rolls of Acros 100 I shot on my vacation, and I think I am in love...
Always been a Kodak Tri-X man, but I think I might switch... unless I shoot in the dark.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Putrid Grin posted:

I just developed a few rolls of Acros 100 I shot on my vacation, and I think I am in love...
Always been a Kodak Tri-X man, but I think I might switch... unless I shoot in the dark.
Acros is my go-to long exposure film since its reciprocity failure is amazing (nothing till 2' metered). If you're handholding or pushing I can see Tri-X's appeal, though.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

pootiebigwang posted:

That guy looks pretty hip to me

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

VomitOnLino posted:

To be honest, not particularly much, no. I guess because my main shooting style was 1x1 aspect for so long, different orientations is not something that's intrinsic to my shooting.

Also, Mightaswell, that shot owns owns owns. Though maybe you should spot the end of the tunnel, it's especially dusty.

I really like other peoples use of the square format but I always feel like I end up with too much empty space at the top and bottom of the frame myself.

Also, for everyone talking of going from Dublin to Iceland, you can get ~€120 return flights to Morocco with Ryan Air where I got by on <€20 a day while travelling about the place if you're looking for cheap holidays to cool places.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

rohan posted:

Acros is my go-to long exposure film since its reciprocity failure is amazing (nothing till 2' metered). If you're handholding or pushing I can see Tri-X's appeal, though.

Just placed an order for some Acros and can't wait to use it. I do a ton of long exposure work and Tri-X has a ridiculous reciprocity failure, up to 3 minutes off a 30" exposure, so it will be nice to see how this stuff works for me.

deaders posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzN3qO-qc8U

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Scored an olympus AX yesterday for a whopping 5 bucks. The light seal is gone so I'm ordering a kit off eBay. Any other issues I should look out for? It meters and seems to take pictures just fine, but the battery check thing doesn't emit a continuous beep as the manual says it should.

Also I need a strap for it, anyone have a spare?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

XAs go in jacket pockets and glove compartments.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Frobbe posted:

Also I need a strap for it, anyone have a spare?

Use a shoelace.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I used a shoelace for a Yashica once... Now it has big dent.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Use paracord you loving goofs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pootiebigwang posted:

This is fantastic.

deaders posted:

So is this :haw:

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

BANME.sh posted:

I use Ilfotec HC as my B&W developer and for some reason I always thought the highest dilution I could use was 1+31, but I got the massive dev chart iphone app and it tells me I can do 1+47 for certain films. I tried it with some HP5+ tonight and the grain is way way noticeably reduced. I was always kind of disappointed with how grainy HP5 came out, but this is really nice.

Isn't Ilfotec HC supposed to be more or less equivalent to HC-110? I was under the impression that for solvent developers, higher dilutions lead to more grain because there's less developer to take solvent action. Of course that could be complete bullshit... I can't find consistent information on different developers, down to some people disagreeing as to whether HC is solvent or non solvent. I fully admit that I only barely know what I'm talking about.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

voodoorootbeer posted:

Isn't Ilfotec HC supposed to be more or less equivalent to HC-110? I was under the impression that for solvent developers, higher dilutions lead to more grain because there's less developer to take solvent action. Of course that could be complete bullshit... I can't find consistent information on different developers, down to some people disagreeing as to whether HC is solvent or non solvent. I fully admit that I only barely know what I'm talking about.

I heard the exact opposite way back when I was researching, trying to figure out what I was doing. So I don't know haha

But I know I like the results so :shrug:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Question for C-41 Development, how should I regulate the water temperature? I'm looking into a immersion heater but dropping over $100 on something that i will likely use for film and maybe strange cooking methods seems kinda excessive if i can do it for cheaper.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I just use a big sink of water at around 45C and have the chems sit in there until they hit the right temp, easy.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Spedman posted:

I just use a big sink of water at around 45C and have the chems sit in there until they hit the right temp, easy.

what about the temp dropping while your developing?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you're using a Paterson tank put that back in the sink between agitations. The temperature won't drop very far at the standard process time of 3.30. I normally dev at 30 degrees to give myself a little more leeway and even in 8 minutes I never get more than a half degree drop. It's only the developer where the temperature is critical, blix step etc. are less sensitive.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The dev step is the only critical temperate step, the others have +\- 2 or 3C, so once you hit the 39C (or whatever) start processing, and between inversions keep the tank in the sink with the warm water to keep the temp stable. As the dev step is only a few minutes, keeping the tank warm in the bath does the trick.

I really think building a temperature stable setup for C41 is overkill, when it's only the first and shortest step of the process that the temperature must be spot on.

You can do C41 at room temp, it just takes a while.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I got a giant pot, probably 5 gallons or more, and I fill it with very hot water to create a bath. Then I put my dev bottle and the Paterson tank filled with pre-soak water, and blix bottle in the pot and monitor the temp of the dev until it reaches 101 or 101.5, and I take everything out. This only takes a few minutes. The temp usually climbs to the required 102 outside the bath. I pour out the pre-soak water from the tank, and pour in the dev. In the 3:30 it takes for the dev step, the temp doesn't drop more than 0.5 degrees because the tank is already at 102 at this point. Like others have said the blix and stabilizer steps are way less temperature dependent and can be several degrees lower so letting them sit on the counter while you do the dev step is just fine. I've done ~20 rolls this way and they all came out perfect.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here's a bunch of shots from a bunch of rolls I developed yesterday, all shot of my new to me F100 (also dumped in the landscape thread)

Port Melbourne by mr_student, on Flickr

North Melbourne by mr_student, on Flickr

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

If you're using a Paterson tank put that back in the sink between agitations. The temperature won't drop very far at the standard process time of 3.30. I normally dev at 30 degrees to give myself a little more leeway and even in 8 minutes I never get more than a half degree drop. It's only the developer where the temperature is critical, blix step etc. are less sensitive.

Spedman posted:

The dev step is the only critical temperate step, the others have +\- 2 or 3C, so once you hit the 39C (or whatever) start processing, and between inversions keep the tank in the sink with the warm water to keep the temp stable. As the dev step is only a few minutes, keeping the tank warm in the bath does the trick.

I really think building a temperature stable setup for C41 is overkill, when it's only the first and shortest step of the process that the temperature must be spot on.

You can do C41 at room temp, it just takes a while.

BANME.sh posted:

I got a giant pot, probably 5 gallons or more, and I fill it with very hot water to create a bath. Then I put my dev bottle and the Paterson tank filled with pre-soak water, and blix bottle in the pot and monitor the temp of the dev until it reaches 101 or 101.5, and I take everything out. This only takes a few minutes. The temp usually climbs to the required 102 outside the bath. I pour out the pre-soak water from the tank, and pour in the dev. In the 3:30 it takes for the dev step, the temp doesn't drop more than 0.5 degrees because the tank is already at 102 at this point. Like others have said the blix and stabilizer steps are way less temperature dependent and can be several degrees lower so letting them sit on the counter while you do the dev step is just fine. I've done ~20 rolls this way and they all came out perfect.

Ah ok I was under the impression that being more than one or two degrees off would ruin the whole process, My plan is to do a weekend of developing madness so just refresh the water-bath between batches and i should be ok?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Found an Instamatic 154 and an unopened box of Kodak Kodacolor II, C110-20, ASA 100, expiration 1979. Kept in a dark cupboard since the 70's. There's really, really no hope for this, is there? It's gonna be nothing but dust when I open it up, I'm sure.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jackpot posted:

Found an Instamatic 154 and an unopened box of Kodak Kodacolor II, C110-20, ASA 100, expiration 1979. Kept in a dark cupboard since the 70's. There's really, really no hope for this, is there? It's gonna be nothing but dust when I open it up, I'm sure.

Only one way to find out! :munch:

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Trying something new.

_DSC7982-Edit by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

jackpot posted:

DJExile posted:

Yeah, just load that poo poo and shoot. This roll of film was left in a crumbling house on the banks of the Youghiogheny River for a couple decades before I shot it (in a camera from the same house) and I got usable results. Yeah, obviously C41 is different than b&w but you can still stand dev in Rodinal if you're worried.

Putrid Grin posted:

Trying something new.

_DSC7982-Edit by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr
I feel like the highlights could use just a little brightening but otherwise I really dig it.

voodoorootbeer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 25, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

That's fully a factor of your shooting - 24x36 is the same as 60x90, more or less. At that point, it's all down to field of view and format depth-of-field.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 25, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Ah ok I was under the impression that being more than one or two degrees off would ruin the whole process, My plan is to do a weekend of developing madness so just refresh the water-bath between batches and i should be ok?

Absolutely not. You can get away with absurd bullshit if you're remotely close. I guarantee Rodinal 1:100 for 60 minutes will produce usable results if you exposed normally. 1:30 for +1/2, 2h for +2.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

voodoorootbeer posted:

I feel like the highlights could use just a little brightening but otherwise I really dig it.

You might be right. I was working on it on an uncalibrated display, and now that I am looking at it on my workstation it could use a bit of global bump. I wanted it to be moody but not muddy. Thanks!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

jackpot posted:

DJExile posted:

Damnit. The Instamatic 154 doesn't take 110, it takes 126, which from what I'm reading is hard to come by (although there are some neat tricks for reloading a 126 canister with 35mm film). I don't even know why he had 110 film at all; probably for something that broke decades ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Went ahead and did some black and white today, noticed these dark edges on the last two rolls i did, and only at the end i l first loaded into the reel. any ideas what might cause this?