Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

If you're continuously sending the maximum bandwidth of data through your hardware throughout the day, you can't use the network anymore.

You could do it at set intervals if you don't mind sudden drops in your available bandwidth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My sister has a side business where she repairs iPods/iPhones/iPads for people. It started out as a "Hey I have a friend who needs it fixed..." but has moved to a busier 3-5 units per day thing as she picks up more business via Craigslist and referrals.

I'm looking for a relatively easy inventory/repair tracking system for her. I originally just suggested an Excel spreadsheet, but figured I'd ask and see if anyone has anything else. Doesn't need to be complex - just store the customer's name, phone number, serial# of the unit, when it was dropped off and when it was complete. Bonus points if there's an app attached to it so data can be entered via iPhone or iPad. Doesn't need to be free, but not looking to invest a thousand dollars in a complex system.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If it is as basic as I see it, Evernote should be just in time.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

kalstrams posted:

If it is as basic as I see it, Evernote should be just in time.

If she is making any sort of income on it, something a bit more robust than Evernote might be in order for when the tax man comes a knockin'.

Unfortunately I have no suggestions other than that!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

For tax it probably won't cut it, yes, but, as far as I read the post right, task/inventory manager is needed, not accounting.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Read posted:

If you're continuously sending the maximum bandwidth of data through your hardware throughout the day, you can't use the network anymore.

You could do it at set intervals if you don't mind sudden drops in your available bandwidth?

Wouldn't it just saturate the affected segments of the network? The powerline adapter couldn't saturate my gigabit switch (afaik). Similarly, the wireless part of the network has very little available bandwidth compared to the wired parts.

I'm not looking to run this all the time, maybe just a single 24 hour period.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PBCrunch posted:

Wouldn't it just saturate the affected segments of the network? The powerline adapter couldn't saturate my gigabit switch (afaik). Similarly, the wireless part of the network has very little available bandwidth compared to the wired parts.

I'm not looking to run this all the time, maybe just a single 24 hour period.

Depends on the network topology, probably. I don't know a specific app, but just search around for network benchmark tools, most should be flexible enough to let you do what you want.

Anyone watching the Win10 presentation? Some crazy stuff there, including free upgrade to Win7/8 users :stare:.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm looking for software for occasional file synchronizing/incremental backups of media, preferably free and similar to rsync. I already have cygwin installed so I could just use rsync itself but I've found that it doesn't handles Windows file permissions well, so native Windows software would be preferable. There's a huge list of options on wikipedia, so is anything particularly recommended from that list? Synkron and Unison look good, but they're not actively developed anymore. DirSyncPro, maybe? Is anything included in Windows 7 of any use?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 21, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

eXXon posted:

I'm looking for software for occasional file synchronizing/incremental backups of media, preferably free and similar to rsync. I already have cygwin installed so I could just use rsync itself but I've found that it doesn't handles Windows file permissions well, so native Windows software would be preferable. There's a huge list of options on wikipedia, so is anything particularly recommended from that list? Synkron and Unison look good, but they're not actively developed anymore. DirSyncPro, maybe? Is anything included in Windows 7 of any use?
RoboCopy is worth checking out whether it can do what you want, I think. I use SyncBack Free myself because I'm a huge wuss who needs a gui to set up detailed scheduled sync jobs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

RoboCopy is worth checking out whether it can do what you want, I think. I use SyncBack Free myself because I'm a huge wuss who needs a gui to set up detailed scheduled sync jobs.

Hey, I don't mind a GUI... actually I ended up trying DirSync Pro in the meantime and it works pretty well. The GUI and documentation aren't especially intuitive but the default mirroring option did the job.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Medullah posted:

My sister has a side business where she repairs iPods/iPhones/iPads for people. It started out as a "Hey I have a friend who needs it fixed..." but has moved to a busier 3-5 units per day thing as she picks up more business via Craigslist and referrals.

I'm looking for a relatively easy inventory/repair tracking system for her. I originally just suggested an Excel spreadsheet, but figured I'd ask and see if anyone has anything else. Doesn't need to be complex - just store the customer's name, phone number, serial# of the unit, when it was dropped off and when it was complete. Bonus points if there's an app attached to it so data can be entered via iPhone or iPad. Doesn't need to be free, but not looking to invest a thousand dollars in a complex system.

Google Spreadsheet with a form for input?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Diviance posted:

Would something like this screensaver work?

http://www.whitsoftdev.com/powerdimmer/

It says 2000 and XP only, but I unzipped it and right-click Installed it on Windows 8.1 and tested it. Functioned just fine.

Unfortunately not, because I need this to work in conjunction with my screensaver and this just replaces it. Thanks for trying though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Metro IE stops buffering youtube videos whenever I switch tabs or apps. There's probably a really simple solution to this, but so far all I've found via google is people bitching about Windows 8. Help! This is on windows 8.1.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

Metro IE stops buffering youtube videos whenever I switch tabs or apps. There's probably a really simple solution to this, but so far all I've found via google is people bitching about Windows 8. Help! This is on windows 8.1.
Solution is fairly simple - don't use Metro IE, it's complete garbage.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Metro Surface central control lock-in BS Windows Store or whatever side of Windows doesn't do background processes well, and background multimedia basically not at all. It might carve out an exception for things that declare themselves as media players :shrug: but if the app doesn't already have it I don't think you can force it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The Metro Surface central control lock-in BS Windows Store or whatever side of Windows doesn't do background processes well, and background multimedia basically not at all. It might carve out an exception for things that declare themselves as media players :shrug: but if the app doesn't already have it I don't think you can force it.

kalstrams posted:

Solution is fairly simple - don't use Metro IE, it's complete garbage.

Thanks, guess I'll have to live with it for now.

I'm currently using a surface pro 2 as a touchscreen music player/browser in a cafe, so Metro IE's touch-friendly interface is ideal for saving time and counter-space.

Or it would be, if Microsoft had taken multi-tasking into account when designing their operating system... Really basic issues like this make me wonder if there was any QA time spent observing people actually using Metro in normal day-to-day tasks.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
It's not ideal, but if you want to use Metro IE, you could right click/long press the YouTube tab, Open Tab in New Window, and then snap it so the YouTube tab is as small as possible. That would keep it in the foreground and stop the suspension.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I'm pretty sure there are YouTube apps that will continue playing in the background. Metrotube, Hypertube, I think.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
What is a good DVD software suite? My mom is using my Windows 8.1 computer and wants to copy some videos onto a DVD she can use in her DVD player. I know Roxio is the well known name, but how flexible is it? Is there a better program, or maybe one that is "just good enough" that's decent freeware without any bloatware/adware?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

YF19pilot posted:

What is a good DVD software suite? My mom is using my Windows 8.1 computer and wants to copy some videos onto a DVD she can use in her DVD player. I know Roxio is the well known name, but how flexible is it? Is there a better program, or maybe one that is "just good enough" that's decent freeware without any bloatware/adware?

Do you still have a Windows 7 PC around? Because it has a DVD maker built in.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Give her a new dvd player that plays files from data dvd-rom and/or usb stick. Should cost about the same as the license to one of the commercial products.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Or it would be, if Microsoft had taken multi-tasking into account when designing their operating system... Really basic issues like this make me wonder if there was any QA time spent observing people actually using Metro in normal day-to-day tasks.

Metro apps are required to suspend themselves unless they have an exception (media apps). There is a trade-off between allowing apps do whatever they want in the background and battery life, and Microsoft opted for battery life.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My windows desktop PC has great battery life OH WAIT

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Step up your UPS game. :cmon:

Yeah people with actual Windows computers were never the priority for the Windows Store model.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's not like all laptops/tablets don't already have customizable power profiles and automatically detect if they are running on batteries anyways. Maybe it was just easier to code power saving features into the apps themselves.

Windows 10 can't come soon enough please, god please be good

OldPueblo posted:

I'm pretty sure there are YouTube apps that will continue playing in the background. Metrotube, Hypertube, I think.

Thanks I'll take a look at these.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm new to Windows 8, so can someone tell me why OneDrive is duplicating everything from Google Drive? :psyduck:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

I'm new to Windows 8, so can someone tell me why OneDrive is duplicating everything from Google Drive? :psyduck:
Because your Google Drive is in Documents or some other folder that OneDrive automatically syncs if you did not pay attention to check boxes during initial Windows setup or if you did not run through settings upon acquisition of your PC if it came with pre-configured OS.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

kalstrams posted:

Because your Google Drive is in Documents or some other folder that OneDrive automatically syncs if you did not pay attention to check boxes during initial Windows setup or if you did not run through settings upon acquisition of your PC if it came with pre-configured OS.

It's in my user folder. I remember disabling auto syncing during setup, though :shrug:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

It's in my user folder. I remember disabling auto syncing during setup, though :shrug:
That weird and, uhm, no idea then.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

kalstrams posted:

That weird and, uhm, no idea then.

After some digging it turns out it was all poo poo that existed before I moved to Google Drive. Just another case of me being dumb, I guess :saddowns:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

After some digging it turns out it was all poo poo that existed before I moved to Google Drive. Just another case of me being dumb, I guess :saddowns:
Oh welp. Stay safe, cloud storage ghost.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Mak0rz posted:

This doesn't seem like such a bad thing

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fletcher posted:

This doesn't seem like such a bad thing

Not really, but being able to control it would be nice (of course I now know that it wasn't happening at all to begin with).

More annoying questions: Is the Live ID integration at all important? Will I be fine not using it at all, even with Office 365/2013? I abandoned my Microsoft account, making it pretty much Xbox-only, nearly two years ago because using two all-in-one mail/storage/etc accounts was kind of unnecessary and the Sky/OneDrive Android app was a piece of poo poo. Now it seems to have become an important part of the OS and Office environment. I guess it isn't much of a big deal as I have 1TB of extra storage I can make use of now. I'm just really particular about how to organize things and now suddenly I feel like I have to change it from the way I had it on my Windows 7 machine.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Not really, but being able to control it would be nice (of course I now know that it wasn't happening at all to begin with).

More annoying questions: Is the Live ID integration at all important? Will I be fine not using it at all, even with Office 365/2013? I abandoned my Microsoft account, making it pretty much Xbox-only, nearly two years ago because using two all-in-one mail/storage/etc accounts was kind of unnecessary and the Sky/OneDrive Android app was a piece of poo poo. Now it seems to have become an important part of the OS and Office environment. I guess it isn't much of a big deal as I have 1TB of extra storage I can make use of now. I'm just really particular about how to organize things and now suddenly I feel like I have to change it from the way I had it on my Windows 7 machine.

If you don't care about using the Microsoft Store or OneDrive you don't have to use a Microsoft Account at all.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If you care about OneDrive and still don't want a linked Windows account, you can just follow these instructions to map it to a drive letter or just plug the url in your favorite folder syncing program (like SyncBack Free) directly to sync with a local folder of your choice at your preferred schedule.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

HalloKitty posted:

Do you still have a Windows 7 PC around? Because it has a DVD maker built in.

I stole her Windows 7 PC (a laptop) when I moved.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Give her a new dvd player that plays files from data dvd-rom and/or usb stick. Should cost about the same as the license to one of the commercial products.

I might do this, I still owe her a Christmas gift anyways.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is there a small piece of software that can analyze a folder and show all the duplicate files? I'm terribly when it comes to organizing my DSLR photos. I often just dump them in a huge folder and then forget to format my cards so that when I dump it to PC again a week later there are duplicates.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BonoMan posted:

Is there a small piece of software that can analyze a folder and show all the duplicate files? I'm terribly when it comes to organizing my DSLR photos. I often just dump them in a huge folder and then forget to format my cards so that when I dump it to PC again a week later there are duplicates.

VisiPics is magic for this exact purpose.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Doesn't do you any good yet, but apparently Windows 10 will have some kind of built-in duplicate image detection, I think as part of its photo app. The way it was described, it'll also find not-quite-exact matches, like photos taken in burst mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

VisiPics does that too, so no need to wait!