Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zorglorfian posted:

Today's day 1 of Punch out wii, right! So getting that game. I hope the Pikmin series is updated for Wii U (stylus controls perhaps?)

Also, wii u aside, Triple Deluxe is amazing. Get it if you don't already have it.

I can't decide if I should buy it. :smith: I like punch out and I've played but not finished the wii version, but I already have to many games as is. But playing on the tablet would be so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

I can't decide if I should buy it. :smith: I like punch out and I've played but not finished the wii version, but I already have to many games as is. But playing on the tablet would be so great.
Can you play it on the tablet? I thought it had mandatory motion controls.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Only games that originally had Classic Controller support will work with the gamepad, so no, you can't play Punch-Out with the gamepad, even though it includes a sideways wiimote control scheme that's entirely button-based.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Only games that originally had Classic Controller support will work with the gamepad, so no, you can't play Punch-Out with the gamepad, even though it includes a sideways wiimote control scheme that's entirely button-based.

I was excited about Wii games on Wii U for a bit but I'm slowly inching towards trying to get it working on Dolphin instead

My main complaint about Galaxy 1/2 is that you need to waggle to spin, but you can bind that to a button if you emulate it which makes the game a lot more playable. I own the discs to both anyway.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

That makes no sense, what kind of insane Nintendo logic is that. :negative:

At least it makes the decision easier.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Darth TNT posted:

I generally agree but in this case you had to navigate the menus in Punch-Out with the pointer so I guess that's why.

It really would have been nice if they could have had gamepad support by somehow patching in a stick pointer option since Punch-Out is just menus and the pointer is never needed for action or anything precise. Too bad, but I don't really know how hard it would be to accomplish that sort of thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My main complaint about Galaxy 1/2 is that you need to waggle to spin, but you can bind that to a button if you emulate it which makes the game a lot more playable. I own the discs to both anyway.

Mario Galaxy 1/2: Unplayable Garbage.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Darth TNT posted:

Until recently the gamepad couldn't be used to do anything in Wii games, punch out was designed with a Nintendo (original) button schema in mind. Which maps to the Wiimote, which everyone had when the game came out on the Wii. It's a Wii game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

They really shouldn't have announced that some games would support the tablet as a controller, because none of the first wave games actually do, but hell if Nintendo's not the best at creating confusion. I mean, I understand that Iwata as an engineer was excited about the fact they had managed to provide both support for Wii digital titles and some tablet controller compatibility, but you don't announce the latter without anything to show -- you wait for the right moment and in the process avoid causing a bunch of confusion for your customers.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

I thought maybe it was just difficult to control because he was drawing lines where the screen was, so while the screen was scrolling I guess he wasn't anticipating things. But then when the screen wasn't moving he was having difficulty drawing lines to things.

I'm in the market for a good play through I don't think I'm going to get this one, it looks nice though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I never played Punch Out for Wii, is it good? I never really played the nes or snes games, either.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
SCAT on the Wii U Virtual Console

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4wDe1QvXL0

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I never played Punch Out for Wii, is it good? I never really played the nes or snes games, either.

I would say so. I like the NES and Wii versions a lot, never really played the SNES much.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In my opinion it's one of the best games for the system. There's an incredible amount of detail and love put into the character presentation and animation, and the gameplay is essentially the same as that from the NES, but refined to the nth degree.

If you weren't a fan of previous games in the series, you probably wouldn't enjoy it, but the game oozes style and charm.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The game looks like a fighting game but it's more like a heavily reaction-based puzzle game; it's all about reading tells and reacting appropriately to them, and figuring out what attacks you can do and when in order to land star punches for big damage. It's a really loving hard game at first since you go in without any of that knowledge. It's fun but you have to be willing to get your rear end handed to you a lot until you figure out each enemy.

Of course, once you do figure out how to beat each boxer, you'll be able to blast through the game every time and it becomes more about speed and efficiency than simply clearing it.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

The game looks like a fighting game but it's more like a heavily reaction-based puzzle game; it's all about reading tells and reacting appropriately to them, and figuring out what attacks you can do and when in order to land star punches for big damage. It's a really loving hard game at first since you go in without any of that knowledge. It's fun but you have to be willing to get your rear end handed to you a lot until you figure out each enemy.

Of course, once you do figure out how to beat each fighter, you'll be able to blast through the game every time and it becomes more about speed and efficiency than simply clearing it.

What's with this post? "It looks like a fighting game, but actually it's really intellectually deep" You just described every fighting game ever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Not Smash, but then again, it's not a fighting game and Nintendo is kidding themselves by refusing to port it to smartphones.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah, I guess you can feel smug about that post if you want, but it's entirely different from a game like Street Fighter or something. Punch Out is a single player game and all of the enemies have really elaborate and particular moves. You have to figure out which of those moves you can punish and which you have to block or dodge. It's really not like a fighting game at all except that it's a one-on-one match where you punch people.

I wouldn't even describe Punch Out as intellectually deep because it's not like there's a strategy to it; there's pretty much One Right Way to react to each move and each boxer, so once you can figure that out it's pretty much done.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Punch-Out is a puzzle game more than anything else, it's definitely worth mentioning that to anyone expecting a fighting game. Particularly since the Wii version has a 2-player VS mode which kind of sends the wrong message about what the game is.

Acting like it's the same thing as Street Fighter and people are stupid for explaining the difference is misleading at best.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I actually forgot that the Wii version had a garbage versus mode. It's all about the single player.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Going to buy Punch Out Wii just for the amazing Punch Out theme. It's the pumpiest thing ever, I can listen to it and fight a bear, jump a mountain, or join the Nintendo Fun Club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndaP9iieaok

e: Haha, I forgot about this trailer, Punch Out Wii is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxeyY95HEzs

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 22, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Trent posted:

Mario Galaxy 1/2: Unplayable Garbage.

They are some of my favorite games but not pressing a button for spin has been a complaint since they came out.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

RyokoTK posted:

You have to figure out which of those moves you can punish and which you have to block or dodge.

Oh, so like a fighting game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yes, in the sense that some of the descriptive words are similar, it is like a fighting game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Because it's emulating a classic controller, not a wiimote :ms:.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

All this talk about people not knowing what Punch Out is makes my head spin. That game feels like common knowledge to me and my friends, but we were the NES generation. The idea of people not knowing now and needing it explained feels weird. It should be expected of course given that Nintendo really didn't do much with it for a long time but still...weird.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I know what Punch Out is, but I don't know much about the Wii version.

I did play a fuckton of Teleroboxing on the Virtual Boy, though!

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
So what's the better bet? :10bux: on Wii Punch-Out or dropping 250 coins and $1.50 on getting Super Punch-Out for Wii U Virtual Console?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Kaleidoscope posted:

So what's the better bet? :10bux: on Wii Punch-Out or dropping 250 coins and $1.50 on getting Super Punch-Out for Wii U Virtual Console?

Don't forget that other games will go on sale alongside Punch-out Wii. Punch-out NES will almost certainly be discounted.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Super Punchout is a lot weaker than the NES/Wii ones

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kaleidoscope posted:

Both.

But Punch Out Wii is the better game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Saoshyant posted:

They really shouldn't have announced that some games would support the tablet as a controller, because none of the first wave games actually do, but hell if Nintendo's not the best at creating confusion. I mean, I understand that Iwata as an engineer was excited about the fact they had managed to provide both support for Wii digital titles and some tablet controller compatibility, but you don't announce the latter without anything to show -- you wait for the right moment and in the process avoid causing a bunch of confusion for your customers.

Not sure how there's any confusion at all "The gamepad can be used as a classic controller" is a clear and unambiguous statement. Mario Galaxy 2, Punch-Out, and Metroid Prime Trilogy don't support the classic controller and therefore cannot be played with the gamepad. That's also really clear and unambiguous. Anyone getting confused by it is reading way more into Iwata's statements than was actually said.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Not Smash, but then again, it's not a fighting game and Nintendo is kidding themselves by refusing to port it to smartphones.
It's hard enough to play on a handheld console like the 3DS, do you honestly think it would be playable on a screen where half the action's obscured by your thumbs?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I watched some videos of Punch-Out and I get it but it doesn't look fun so I'm not gonna buy it.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Does the dash jump still work in the Metroid Prime Trilogy version of the first Prime?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A new Punch-out on Wii U in the next year or two is pretty much inevitable right? Little Mac is popular in Smash Bros, the Wii version is on eShop and Nintendo own Next Level Games now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Orgophlax posted:

Does the dash jump still work in the Metroid Prime Trilogy version of the first Prime?

The dash jump you got from breaking your lock on to an enemy while jumping sideways? Its still in, but it doesn't work nearly as well for sequence breaking. The Trilogy version is based off of the later version of Prime 1, which toned down a lot of the sequence breaking exploits.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Orgophlax posted:

The super long jump you can do by looking straight down and then jumping? I don't think so, since that requires being able to lock the cursor in place then let go.

If you mean getting the space jump right away, no you can't.

If you mean the strafing jump dodge move that you can do by tapping jump twice while locked on and moving sideways, yes you can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

A new Punch-out on Wii U in the next year or two is pretty much inevitable right? Little Mac is popular in Smash Bros, the Wii version is on eShop and Nintendo own Next Level Games now.

God I hope so.

• Locked thread