Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what's less believable, that Sam could mistake Westview for a nice place or that there are businesses there other than Montoni's and the comic shop. Also, didn't they come for the auction? If so, why are they at notMontoni's while it's happening?

Would you want to spend time around Funky Winkerbeanville people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Pretty sure lists existed before the internet and magazines have been doing it forever.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

You can just knock on the wall next to any dog and it has the same effect. No ringtone required.

On the Fastrack

What happened to her stripey gloves?

Safe Havens

Maybe you should've started off with a chromatography kit first.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Selachian posted:

I could SWEAR I've seen this gag before. Charles Addams? Gahan Wilson? Now I'm gonna be annoyed all day.

edited to add: It was The Far Side. Now I can stop being annoyed at my faulty memory and be annoyed at Lester's shameless theft.

My first thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rVuFHjkvHA&t=36s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EasyEW posted:

:psyduck: It's like she's making love to a Ken doll. Gotta rinse that out of my mind...

A dead Ken doll at that. Brooke's art drives me insane every time I see it because he just has no loving clue how skin tones work! He shades with the dodge and burn tools exclusively and has apparently never determined that light and shadows affect the perceived color of the object. Most importantly, when something is shadowed, its colors get richer.

I know I've complained about the oily-coal-dust effect before but I wanted to make it clear just how trivial a change it is and just how big a difference it makes. This GIF alternates between Brooke's corpse-like shading, and the same image with the saturation of the shadows brought up 60%. This is literally a single adjustment layer and a selective blend to target the dark areas. No other changes and no repainting.

:nws: i guess but it's not like there's anything there for you to see

http://i.imgur.com/pQpnn9v.gif

How can you be a comic book artist for decades and never figure this poo poo out, never even detectably improve from what you were doing twenty years ago :psyduck:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 22, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is Dethany just a goth like Nemi, or is she some kind of zombie or other supernatural being?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The first, but what you're seeing is the difference between a writer who's heard of goths and one who's into it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

It's me, I'm the guy who calls you and says "It's [name]. Have I reached [name]?" every time. Even though we're both using contact lists and phones with caller ID.

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sagebrush posted:

:nws: i guess but it's not like there's anything there for you to see

http://i.imgur.com/pQpnn9v.gif

How can you be a comic book artist for decades and never figure this poo poo out, never even detectably improve from what you were doing twenty years ago :psyduck:

I keep seeing his right leg as being her left leg and I can't unsee it now. Brooke McEldowney sucks.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I keep seeing his right leg as being her left leg and I can't unsee it now. Brooke McEldowney sucks.

Her left is up inside his lower abdomen.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I would very, very much like to see this become A Thing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pastry of the Year posted:

I would very, very much like to see this become A Thing.

I just noticed this. :laffo:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

And look at his toes. Are they prehensile?

Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban's Cats

You can't go wrong with high heels... and a lampshade. :v:

Brooke tries out Op Art in 9 Chickweed Lane 1/22/2004

Technically Solange should have repeating reflections in the last frame, too.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Dude, you could be filing harassment charges or something.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Poptropica

Heathcliff

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Poptropica has never looked better.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (November 24, 1927)

Peanuts (January 25, 1968)

The Abolutely Mind-Blowing Funky Winkerbean-Dick Tracy Crossover

Popeye: ...yup.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 28-29, 1926)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cul-de-sac

Poptropica

Heathcliff

gently caress.

New keyboard, haven't quite figured out all the macros and poo poo.
Here's your real poptropica:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

The Abolutely Mind-Blowing Funky Winkerbean-Dick Tracy Crossover

Not even Dick Tracy can resist the influence of the Funky Smugface. Soon he'll be bald, lose at least one limb to diabetes, and spend all of his time sadly making "can you give me a hand" puns.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I once saw someone fall off an exercise bike. It was part way through a charity fund-raiser (two people doing a bike relay for 24 hours) and they'd just finished a long session about 3/4 of the way through. That is the only time.

Does he have a neurological problem? I'm not sure how else you can fall off a stationary bike, and have no idea how you can think it's an idea funny enough to spend multiple days on.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lincoln didn't have a beard during childhood. Lincoln didn't even have a beard when he started his presidency.

In fact, it was a little girl just like that one who convinced him to grow the beard in the first place, and it nearly bankrupted a printer who had stocked up on thousands of copies of that photo, expecting them to sell like hotcakes once Lincoln won. He had to burn them all, and it was such a blow to his business that he got out of lithographs altogether and started printing board games. The man's name was Milton Bradley.

Shows what you can accomplish if you just Keep Control Comix.

Pooch Café

Who cares what it looks like, it's a Staff of Barknado.

Ballard Street

I don't think there's a single flat surface in my house that I haven't sat on. Sitting on high-up stuff is fun.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't want to encourage people.

Working Daze is in day 4 of this joke.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Dude, you could be filing harassment charges or something.

That strikes me as inadvisable. After all, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. :chef:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

The Sezza posted:

That strikes me as inadvisable. After all, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. :chef:

Mm. Ram Confit.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Mandrake is so loving good, you guys. I'm still not tired of Theron being a jerk to absolutely everyone.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Gawain's game is strong.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

"Mandrake has this routine where he walks in butt-naked and uses magic to make people think he has clothes. Great for a laugh."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Either this begs for an edit or this is the edit, I'm not sure which.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The former. The topic has come up before, I'm not competent enough with the shoops to make edits. Also I don't have the time to usually.

Hari Seldon
Jun 14, 2007

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

DoubleDonut posted:

Mandrake is so loving good, you guys. I'm still not tired of Theron being a jerk to absolutely everyone.
It's eerily similar to when Mandrake's idea of how to help solve a crime was to torment the detective who asked for his help all month instead. I guess it's part of the magical tradition: spend your life mastering the mystic arts, then just use them to gently caress with people for weeks and weeks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Until just now I had no idea it wasn't.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Well I'll do a lovely, obvious edit then.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"I'll sign it over to you. I just gotta go get the papers get the papers."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

They're gonna pass that kid around like a doobie. :stare:

They took his clothes while he was sleeping. :stonk:

I'd like to think that one lady and her llama were on the tour too.

Whatever peril Gunther now faces, I can't imagine it's more perilous than people who change your clothes while you sleep. Is that just me? I always find it really creepy when it happens in movies.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes and the great escape.

Ripley's

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Whatever peril Gunther now faces, I can't imagine it's more perilous than people who change your clothes while you sleep. Is that just me? I always find it really creepy when it happens in movies.

The whole thing is just unbelievably stupid. Like with some stories if you pick at a thread it unravels but there's nothing to unravel here. My brain almost accepts it because it doesn't want to bother thinking about all of the different things that are wrong with those strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

I know, right? I wish this strip could just be about Mandrake's dad loving with people and not giving a poo poo because it's 100x better since he came in :allears:

• Locked thread