Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Serious Frolicking posted:

Also, you forgot Sayo.
We already know she's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Doesn't Ayaka live to be 100 or something?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

chumbler posted:

You forgot Jack Rakan somehow. I don't understand it.

It would be a tragedy of the greatest magnitude if Jack Rakan does not show up in this story.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Frankly I doubt Rakan will show up, as much of a shame as that would be. Regardless, he's just a big super strong dude that hung out with Nagi, not much else to say unless you want to start getting into specifics.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.

Golden Battler posted:

Albireo Imma was one of Nagi's companions, and also the guy who made Touta's gravity sword. He's an illusionary person like most of Inverse Mars's residents, but is apparently a powerful enough Mage to sustain himself in the real world using only his own power, though he's a lot weaker (there was a pretty clever visual indication of this with the shade of his hair that probably no one noticed or cared about).

What's this illusionary/hair color stuff? I don't remember it at all and it sounds interesting.

aiHD
May 29, 2007

A brand new, snake-filled day.
Speaking of Albireo, wasn't he actually a magic book? When Ala Rubra were fighting on Earth, he mentioned that it took him more energy on Earth than on Mundus Magicus to "manifest" as a person and fight.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
There is no way Rakan doesn't turn up at some point.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

big sperma shot posted:

What's this illusionary/hair color stuff? I don't remember it at all and it sounds interesting.

I can't find any good pictures off hand to demonstrate it, but basically whenever he's in the real world, his hair is drawn with a lighter shade than when he's depicted in flashbacks/mundus magicus. It's just a very subtle bit of forshadowing about mundus magicus's nature. It was apparently confirmed in an interview with Akamatsu as being intentional. Small detail, but neat that he bothered.

aiHD posted:

Speaking of Albireo, wasn't he actually a magic book? When Ala Rubra were fighting on Earth, he mentioned that it took him more energy on Earth than on Mundus Magicus to "manifest" as a person and fight.

I dunno about him being a book, so much as that was probably just a way to save mana, like putting your phone in sleep mode. On the other hand, he also claimed to be the oldest person present (in a room containing Eva and the Lifemaker) so it's not 100% clear what his deal is.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

In Ch.254 Kurt noted how “physical attacks didn’t even seem to work” on Mega Dunamene Negi, so how did Rakan manage to damage Negi in Mega Dunamene form?
It was Rakan’s fighting spirit.

I think this is tied with Oda's 'how does Zoro talk with a sword in his mouth?' 'He speaks with his heart.' in terms of good answers.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

aiHD posted:

You might be thinking about his Pactio: Bibliothecarius Ironicus. It's a bookmark that he uses to basically turn himself into a clone of whomever's book he draws it out of. In Negima, he used it's secondary ability to actually become Nagi for a full 10 minutes during the tournament arc for the final match with Negi.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

In Ch.254 Kurt noted how “physical attacks didn’t even seem to work” on Mega Dunamene Negi, so how did Rakan manage to damage Negi in Mega Dunamene form?

I think this is tied with Oda's 'how does Zoro talk with a sword in his mouth?' 'He speaks with his heart.' in terms of good answers.

It's even better because it makes 100% sense in context.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KittyEmpress posted:

No, it's just a dumb question about Jack Rakan. He overcame non-existence multiple times, while wearing a tux, because gently caress that. He broke out of an infinite extra dimension by flexing. Jack Rakan is just too awesome for any limits, rules, or universal laws.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gyges posted:

No, it's just a dumb question about Jack Rakan. He overcame non-existence multiple times, while wearing a tux, because gently caress that. He broke out of an infinite extra dimension by flexing. Jack Rakan is just too awesome for any limits, rules, or universal laws.

Yeah, Jack is basically distilled "gently caress yo rules" in the form of an awesome, giant, awesome man. :allears:

This is also one of the many reasons why everyone should just get over the dumb fanservice and read Negima.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Golden Battler posted:

Mana is a quarter-Japanese, quarter-Venezuelan, half-Greater Devil mercenary. There's not too much else about her, although Poyo kinda implies that she'll be important once the existence of magic and demons and such become public.

Minor point, but Mana is half-Japanese, half-Puerto Rican, not Venezuelan. She was also the shrine maiden of the Tatsumiya Shrine on the grounds of Mahora Academy, but who knows if that still exists as of UQ Holder. She's been a mercenary since she was very young (at least elementary school age), specializes in exorcism and anti-magical contracts, and is great with gun techniques, able to fight at close or long range (as shown in a previous chapter).

You also forgot about Chao, who should become important once Mars gets more involved. All the speculation in thread about the Mars War for Independence should've had you include her. And it is the future, so she might actually show up in some manner. Her dimension hopping/time travel shenanigans might be important in some manner.

The Konoes are probably important as background as well, seeing as how Touta is descended from them and Konoka's grandfather used to be the headmaster of Mahora Academy and they likely still control the school in some manner.

Also, one really should just suck it up and read Negima to get the most out of this series. It gets amazing an arc in, which is where Eva first shows what she's somewhat capable of.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Negima came out in 2003, so the characters are now 12 years old. In another 6 years it won't be creepy for you at all!

Serious Frolicking posted:

If that was what Akamatsu was going for then he wouldn't have set this 80 years after Negima. Most of the cast is dead.
That reminds me, what year was Negima supposed to take place? According to Negima, most of the students were born in '88/'89, and they go from the last term of their second year of middle school to the end of their third year near the end of the manga, so early 2000's, perhaps? It's apparently 2065 in Holder, so how much of a gap are we talking about between the two right now?

As for the chapter, I was not expecting that at all. [spoiler]The Mage of the Beginning possessing both Negi and Nagi? Guess this is the timeline prior to when Asuna came back at the end of Negima, since in that one, Negi was presumed dead there too, and the epilogue chapter had it all nicely wrapped up with Negi saving his dad and his mom, so I guess that never happened here. More questions than answers here, and the chapter just seemed to fly by. Can't wait for next week, to see where this goes from here.

Of course Touta is going to enter the tournament anyway, he's just too hard headed to dissuade that way. Probably involve the other numbers in some way here as well. I wonder if Eva's house is still around the Mahora campus. Her diorama sphere with the resort is probably the place she and Fate would go to strategize about what to do regarding the Lifemaker and how to rescue Negi, and though I have no idea how Touta and crew would find out about it. Either that, or Al's hideaway underneath Library Island, again, if that still exists.

Love the fact that Akamatsu is just picking up loose plot threads from how unsatisfyingly Negima ended and is just continuing them here in Holder. Then again, what do you expect when the former ended so abruptly and this was billed as a sequel and had Eva show up on the first page?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Most modern-day mangas are set at the same year they're first serialized and as far as I remember Negima's one of them, so 2003 or so. That'd make'em 14-15, which fits with the school years.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Think it was explicably said in one of the early chapters via identifying Negi's age and birth. But early chapters.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Al's hideaway is decrepit, we saw it when Touta and Kuromaru were taking the number's entrance exam. That's where Touta got his gravity sword!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Silento posted:

Al's hideaway is decrepit, we saw it when Touta and Kuromaru were taking the number's entrance exam. That's where Touta got his gravity sword!

The merman blood immortality guy destroyed it with the gravity sword.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Silento posted:

Right, forgot about that. The early chapters of Holder are quite a blur to me right now.

Kyte posted:

Most modern-day mangas are set at the same year they're first serialized and as far as I remember Negima's one of them, so 2003 or so. That'd make'em 14-15, which fits with the school years.

Makes sense. So Holder is ~60 years into the future of Negima.

InfinityComplex posted:

Think it was explicably said in one of the early chapters via identifying Negi's age and birth. But early chapters.
Hmm, looking at my copy of Volume 1, on the second page of chapter 1, in the top right panel, there's a faint 2003.07.something covered up by a speech bubble on Negi's diploma from magic school/assignment to teach at Mahora Academy. Is that supposed to be in YYYY.DD.MM format or YYYY.MM.DD format?

I assume the former, since later in my copy of Volume 2, in the certificate that Konoka's grandfather signs that appoints Negi as an official teacher at Mahora Academy after the whole library island thing and the end of year exams is dated April 2, 2003. Since the Japanese school year starts in April, that would fit with the class becoming 3-A at that point.

The whole Magical World arc was supposed to take place during summer break, so that would make those events happen around August 2003. The chapters just prior to the epilogue, after Asuna gets back would then logically take place in April 2004. That clears some things up, I guess.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
New chapter is out, grab it here. http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?volume_id=389&chapter_num=66.00

Touta's reaction was surprisingly understated. The rest of the squad really likes to gossip.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Good character interaction in this chapter. It made me smile! :)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think that Kirie and Ikku consider Koromaru and Tota to be toys Eva gave them to play with.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm surprised that he listened for a whole 3 days before doing that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
What I like is that this could go a number of routes.

Hell, he could run head first back to Mahora and it'd still be neat.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 28, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
So when does Negima go from harem to good. UQ Holder made me interested in looking it up, but it's pretty ehhh so far.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Stops screwing around from about the Eva fight and let's loose in the Field Trip / Kyoto arc.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Gyges posted:

I'm surprised that he listened for a whole 3 days before doing that.
Looks to me like he was going to be a good boy and stay up the year until those meddling kids harass him to leave the house.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nyaa posted:

Looks to me like he was going to be a good boy and stay up the year until those meddling kids harass him to leave the house.

That's what I got out of it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Mango Polo posted:

So when does Negima go from harem to good. UQ Holder made me interested in looking it up, but it's pretty ehhh so far.

It's a progressive thing. The further in you get, the less harem there is and the more action and plot. For me the real turning point was the field trip arc, though. The Eva fight might also be worth it for the introduction of her character, but if you've read UQ Holder that wont be as necessary.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Bremen posted:

It's a progressive thing. The further in you get, the less harem there is and the more action and plot. For me the real turning point was the field trip arc, though. The Eva fight might also be worth it for the introduction of her character, but if you've read UQ Holder that wont be as necessary.

That said, Harem bullshit still rears its head now and again, often interrupting otherwise-interesting arcs. The Mahora Festival is particularly bad in that respect: you'll be grooving on Ultimahora or plot going on in the tunnels, and then BAM facefirst into an interminable "walk around the festival date" chapter or two.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Test Pattern posted:

That said, Harem bullshit still rears its head now and again, often interrupting otherwise-interesting arcs. The Mahora Festival is particularly bad in that respect: you'll be grooving on Ultimahora or plot going on in the tunnels, and then BAM facefirst into an interminable "walk around the festival date" chapter or two.

I didn't find most of that kind of thing so bad. V:shobon:V It's the dumb fanservice that bothers me, not the character interaction.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, character interaction is great and always appreciated.

It's the skirt flip every page that's annoying. I'm rereading it right now and wow are these skirts made of paper or something cloth doesn't flip up that easy

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Flytrap posted:

Yeah, character interaction is great and always appreciated.

It's the skirt flip every page that's annoying. I'm rereading it right now and wow are these skirts made of paper or something cloth doesn't flip up that easy

Jack Rakan's will is a powerful thing.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Nyaa posted:

I'm hoping the whole thing kicks him in the pants to actually make an effort. The only thing he's got going for him is that he is immortal and learned shundo.

If he is seriously going to be running into Negi-level bad guys he's going to have to become a Typical Shounen Protagonist at some point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Fully half of Negima is harem crap. It is front-loaded, but never goes away entirely.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm never going to read negima

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Negima is worth it for Jack Rakan and Colonel Sanders alone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
No its not. I tried reading it and jfc

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Nyaa posted:

Dude just got kicked by his mentor/teacher/mother/elder sister and his grandfathers enemy/rival, so he's entitled to a couple of days of moping. Man, everybody around the boy are heartless bastards and bitches.

*However*, I suspect that this is actually a ploy by Yukihime to actually get him to go somewhere (and take some of those friends) so that she does not know where he is.

So, we can get some crazy training arc stuff over a couple of years, and then Touta has to go rescue Yukihime since he may be immune to the Lifemaker by virtue of never having killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Gyges posted:

Negima is worth it for Jack Rakan and Colonel Sanders alone.

Negima is only worth it if you can find a way to ignore\skip the harem stuff, or enjoy 14 year old pantsyhots\nude scenes.

• Locked thread