Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They don't have any beef and when you try to do something like mix pretzel dough the little fiber gear inside burns out and then you have to tear it apart, crack open the gearbox and lube up R2D2's anus as you replace it while wondering if this is really how Americans view the world and if so finally understand why their society has collapsed.

gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeCiivPt7hk

The gear is this little yellow friend you have to replace in the middle of all this poo poo:

I did this twice. Don't mix up the screw lengths or it eats the casing and drops metal shavings into your food.

Or you could buy a more expensive KitchenAid, which I didn't know existed when I bought mine.

I bought a $20 handheld electric mixer from Canadian Tire while I was waiting for a new fiber gear and turns out it mixes the same pretzel dough just fine.

Yeah, don't buy the light duty version and try to use it for any significant amount of dough. Right tool for the right job. Get the professional, it's not that much more expensive and a hell of a lot more durable, given that it doesn't use the gearing failing as the safety cutout. The couple I had in the bakery were 10 years old and going strong.

Or get a real mixer. Hobart for the win. The 12 quart I used to work with we scored for next to nothing ($300, I think) from a school cafeteria remodel, and it got used to make heavy fillings and small batches of dough on the daily.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

SUCK MY DICK

SUCK MY DIIIIIIICK

I'M A FOOOOORD

SUCK MY DIIIICK

So far, no more lean code!

I use a cloud backup for this purpose. Worth the $10/year for many, many gigs of space to completely back up my mobile devices.

Its cute that you think this was a challenge....do it on the OHV motor where you need an inverted torx socket. then you need a crowsfoot socket, a shitload of beer, hopes that the egr tube isn't hosed six ways to sunday, and finally all the right extensions to torque down nuts while holding the bolt they go on with the torx socket.....basically you need lots of prayer beer and other ways to not want to jump off a tall cliff.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh, it wasn't hard. Just annoying to have to do.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Oh, it wasn't hard. Just annoying to have to do.

yeah i have done a bunch of both kinds. and I will gladly do the SOHC any day. but you also live somewhere that rust isn't super present. also if you ever get asked to do a OHC punch that person in the reproductive organ. the last one I did had the fuel pressure regulator rust into pieces. Turns out all the part stores local don't cary it. Rock auto just laughed in my face. Went to four junkyards. last one had one car with it. As im walking out the dude who was working the door walks up and tells me "put that in your pocket". I still give that guy all my junkyard business to this day.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrChips posted:

GODDAMMIT I just bought a Nexus 6 (which is awesome), but when I wiped my old phone, I forgot to transfer over my aCar records, and like a moron I didn't back them up either. loving gently caress gently caress

Well my anger was short-lived; I found some software that can recover data after a factory reset (not surprising this exists, when you think about it :v:)

Also I just looked at the Snapchat I took of it; somehow my hand kind of dwarfs the thing :stare:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 22, 2015

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Seriously what the hell happened to Viggen? One does not simply quit AI. Near as I can tell it's blood in blood out..

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SouthsideSaint posted:

yeah i have done a bunch of both kinds. and I will gladly do the SOHC any day. but you also live somewhere that rust isn't super present. also if you ever get asked to do a OHC punch that person in the reproductive organ. the last one I did had the fuel pressure regulator rust into pieces. Turns out all the part stores local don't cary it. Rock auto just laughed in my face. Went to four junkyards. last one had one car with it. As im walking out the dude who was working the door walks up and tells me "put that in your pocket". I still give that guy all my junkyard business to this day.

Ah, this explorer lived in New York for the first 120k of its life. Still wasn't a half-bad job. Looking up the OHC version of the job on Explorer forums, I don't think I'd ever own one like that :stonk:

Here's a video from last year when I figured out my grounding issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLoeIfc5-U

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

keykey posted:

Seriously what the hell happened to Viggen? One does not simply quit AI. Near as I can tell it's blood in blood out..

He sent me a PM several days ago stating he was leaving..

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

What?!?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeup. dec 17th.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeup. dec 17th.
So he's done with AI? Was his last post spasms it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

I've heard this story before.

I believe it was the last probation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Cheers Viggen, you'll be missed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Alright, I posted this on the facebook group too but I'm not sure everyone's on there.

Who is along this route?

I76 eastbound from Lakewood to I80, I80 eastbound to Chicago, I90 eastbound to Massachusetts.

If you're along that route, possible mobile goonmeet roadtrip in the coming month or two.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

Alright, I posted this on the facebook group too but I'm not sure everyone's on there.

Who is along this route?

I76 eastbound from Lakewood to I80, I80 eastbound to Chicago, I90 eastbound to Massachusetts.

If you're along that route, possible mobile goonmeet roadtrip in the coming month or two.

I'm like an hour south of the I80 / I69 interchange.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Who is along this route?

I live fifteen minutes out of Chicago. Also know some pretty good junkyards depending on how long your staying.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Whole thing may be called off, the CL listing got taken down :sigh:

Here's hoping though.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I'm only about a half hour out of the Denver area. There sound be at-least a half dozen others in the Denver area as well.

Whats the listing I wonder?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Viggen PM'd me about the xploder post I made because I called him out, but it was just for information about doing it. Didn't know he was gone.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrChips posted:

Well my anger was short-lived; I found some software that can recover data after a factory reset (not surprising this exists, when you think about it :v:)

Also I just looked at the Snapchat I took of it; somehow my hand kind of dwarfs the thing :stare:

Well, that was premature. Since everything was stored on the phone's internal memory, it's pretty much gone. Unless anyone else has a better idea as to how to recover this information, that is. Goddammit.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Wait.. There's a Facebook group?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kastein posted:

Who is along this route?

I live in Buffalo. We can drink canadian beer. The best beer.

I too have a craigslist hopeful. $400 for a 02 mustang v6 with front end damage. Im only interested in the leather seats and then Im gonna call a junkyard and see what they'll give me for it. If its less than $200 I wont bother.

GONNA TOW IT WITH MY FERD EXPLODER HOPE IT DOESNT ROLL BACKWARDS

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

keykey posted:

Near as I can tell it's blood in blood out..

If you haven't given BLOOD SACRIFICE to the job, the problem will reappear.

I remember looking at my dad's hands as a little boy and going "How is he not going 'OW! CRAP! MY HANDS REALLY HURT FROM ALL THESE WOUNDS!'" And then I worked on a 44 year old vehicle and I'm like "Ehhh, it's probably not a boxer's fracture, and this totally shouldn't require a tetanus shot."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

loving garbage poo poo day at work today

loving having to go to remote sites which have arseholes who do nothing but whinge even though it is their own fault for the situation

gently caress the lot of them and gently caress this loving parking fine.

I'll be drinking rum after work, gently caress you

blk
Dec 19, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

drat, I just saw a Turbo X Wagon while filling up at Costco and got really excited and now I have nobody to share it with.

I tried to get the 60ish year old lady driver to roll down her window so I could tell her how cool her car was but she just stared at me with a very confused expression.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I actually saw a 9-7x in a fast food line at a wendys today. I felt this thread would appreciate.

I am nowhere near the route however - I'm way out in Long Island, which is terrible for car people, and super far from ken's route. I need to make it out to another NEAI soon

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Black88GTA posted:

I actually saw a 9-7x in a fast food line at a wendys today. I felt this thread would appreciate.

I am nowhere near the route however - I'm way out in Long Island, which is terrible for car people, and super far from ken's route. I need to make it out to another NEAI soon

I was surprised to see one the other day, too - they don't look very good without the huge Aero wheels, though.

Not a week goes by that I don't wonder if I should have bought Tremec's Aero, but I don't have a kid and dog and all that stuff yet, and who knows when gas prices will go back up.

It still would've been hilarious to have the it next to the 92x in the driveway.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So....I've been seeing first-gen Mazda 6s for around $3k. Any unforeseen horrors I should know about before throwing $3k of my hard-earned money away on a Craigslist purchase?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Everyday Lurker posted:

So....I've been seeing first-gen Mazda 6s for around $3k. Any unforeseen horrors I should know about before throwing $3k of my hard-earned money away on a Craigslist purchase?

Rear wheel arches and from edge of the hoods rust.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
A page or two late but this thread made me realize two things:

1) I've spent approximately $5k a year on fuel alone in the last 3 years that I've had my $5k wagon.

2) I wish there were NZ AI Goonmeets :(

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Rhyno posted:

Rear wheel arches and from edge of the hoods rust.

I'll keep that in mind, but rust isn't much of an issue in the deep south, just the occasional critter in the HVAC vent. :banjo:

With that said, I hope this will start me on the road to disposing of the shitbox Eighty Eight. The glories of 3800 Series I ownership are overshadowed by the fact that everything else is falling apart all around it.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 22, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just saw a Cool Whip branded donk. White late model Caprice with huge rims. He must love driving that thing in the snow.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Stick on chrome letters are usually tacky as gently caress, but my colleague gets a pass.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I think I mentioned we had a compressor replaced the other day at work.

I found one of those 30 pound cans of r134a sitting next to the equipment today. It feels like it's close to empty. I'm half tempted to recharge my car a/c (the total system capacity is a little under 1 pound), and I'm wondering if the guy has even noticed it's missing yet.

Boss has tried calling him about it. Hasn't returned any calls.

Cat Terrist posted:

So if it has been reported and accepted as fraud.... HOW the gently caress dont they just immediatly cancel it?

1 or two billing cycles my rear end, sit on the phone and go up the supervisor chain until it's just fixed. That's just not acceptible.

I have no idea.

When I called them after emailing the police report, the person I talked to read the report, then noticed someone had viewed the report already, and marked it "not fraud". He did an audible "what the f...I mean, what the hell are they thinking?".

Verizon is too drat big, they're a merger of multiple ancient companies, and they have so many different loving departments. Combine that with some absolutely antiquated backend stuff out of the 80s.

I did find out they actually did pull a credit report, but it was from the one credit bureau that my credit monitoring doesn't watch. I've requested that the bureau remove the inquiry as being connected to fraud, as just an inquiry reduces your credit rating (and they already have a paper copy of the police report, so they should remove it pretty quickly).

I have a feeling I'm still facing a few months of fighting with them. Best part is, my home phone, internet, and cable TV are also through Verizon. Different division, but seeing as they make a small fortune off of me every month, I might be able to toss in "you realize I subscribe to everything you have except cellphone service, and have high end tiers for all of that, right? And that I could easily go back to Time Warner Cable?". I would hate to go back to TWC (they're the ones who actually cut the fiber to the house, then reused the fiber conduit to pull new coax, even though the existing coax run was only a few years old - and my upstream would go from 50mbit to 2-5mbit), but I can always throw out the threat.

The poo poo rained down a bit more, I keep getting letters from the hospital I was in saying that my insurance isn't responding to them. My insurance says they've been contacted multiple times by the hospital, and that they've been trying to settle the claim since November. Making it more fun, my 2015 insurance subsidy required new paperwork, particularly proof of income. My subsidy went down by about $40/month, combined with the premiums increasing a bit - I went from paying under $20/month to about $80/month, but I can easily afford that. Copays went down quite a bit too (it costs me $20 to see my doctor now, instead of $35). And while I'm taking home a bit less than I did at Pizza Hut, I'm spending about 1/4 per month on gas/petrol/whatever ($80 so far this year, when I used to spend $100+/week).

Holdbrooks posted:

I checked Facebook this morning and I lost a good friend yesterday. Feels real lovely.

:glomp:

I haven't lost anyone recently, but my mother lost one of her best friends to cancer yesterday. Mom only recently learned about the cancer (it's been a month or so since she found out), and kept trying to make plans to see her. Her friend had known for a long time, but went from "walking around" to "dead" in less than 2 weeks. :smith:

Cage posted:

I lost a friend of 8+ years once that I used to be in a band with. He was in a band after us and made a post how he missed those guys and blah blah blah. I made an obviously sarcastic "well im glad our band broke up you guys suck" comment and the next day he deleted me. Unfriending on facebook shouldn't mean that you arent friends IRL but yeah basically it means that, it hurt me.

I've had people that I thought were good friends randomly unfriend me on Facebook, even people I've known 15+ years. Always leaves me really confused. I re-add them, they accept, and it's almost always "I meant to delete someone else".:rolleyes:

But when someone you've known for years randomly blocks you entirely that hurts. It's like... what the gently caress did I do to offend you to that level? The only things that genuinely piss me off are any form of discrimination, be it homophobia, xenophobia, racism, fear of other religions, etc. I don't associate with people that don't feel the same way.

I can be a bit "in your face" about a lot of stuff (sexuality in particular), but it's more because I don't tolerate people being assholes to other people just to be an rear end in a top hat. Once you realize I'm just being in your face to be a dick, and you accept it, we're besties for life. Just don't use the term "human being" around me unless you're referring to cigarettes, and don't say "that's so gay" when you're talking about something you dislike.

Terrible Robot posted:

Been fighting with my ISP over my shittastic speeds, they said it looked like my connection had a bad splice and sent a tech out. I'm at work so he dealt with my mom who knows nothing at all about computers. He convinced her that it was a "range problem" with the wireless and left a fancier router. Never checked the wiring, even though I told them the speed problem exists on the hardwired machines too.

That sounds a whole like what the ISP I used to work for would do. Frontier?

CommieGIR posted:

I like Anime.

I hate this car and its paint job.

This. I'm not as into anime as I used to be, but I still enjoy it.

CommieGIR posted:

Not to make you feel bad, but based on the injury, either you are getting fired for seeking help or getting let go due to the injury

Also this. That's basically the US employment system in a nutshell. And if you don't get let go, you still have to go through a bunch of drug tests and a bunch of lovely doctors who only want to get you the gently caress out and sign off on you being A-OK, even if x-rays and your pain say otherwise. The one workman's comp claim I filed, I got a hell of a quiz on why I was on the meds I was on (one showed up on a drug test, I have a legitimate script for a mild benzo that I take as needed), and never did get any backpay. i was out of work (from two jobs) for over a week over it, and I'm still playing catch-up on bills from it. Still considering taking them to small claims court over it, but I was making below minimum wage ($5.85/hr) + tips, and I may or may not have been reporting 100% of my tips.

fjelltorsk posted:

IKEA also had a special on LED bulbs for the downlights we have in almost every room, down to about 7 bucks from originally 30 dollars a pop. I have spent the last hours replacing bulbs. Hopefully the LEDs last longer then regular bulbs. im tired of swapping 3-5 bulbs a week.

GODDAMN. I've been paying about $25 a pop for the downlights (floods in recessed cans) at Ikea, with no warranty. They're $35-50 at big box home improvement stores depending on brand, but other people in the house hate how the Cree bulbs look and much prefer how the Ikea bulbs look... when they're off. Who the gently caress is going to look at the ceiling when the lights are on? :psypop:

The living room has 4 cans - 1 is still incandescent, the rest are Ikea LED floods. I'll have to swap out the dimmer once that incandescent is gone, but swapping out nearly 400 watts of incandescent lighting for 76 watts of LED lighting feels pretty loving good.

The kitchen is partly LED, partly CFL, same cans (5 total). The LED retrofits I originally started with now cost significantly more than just using screw-in LED bulbs. There's 5 cans total; 3 are LED, 2 are CFL - I'm invested enough in the LEDs that I may as well spend the extra :10bux: per bulb (compared to screw-in LED replacements) to match the existing ones, once the CFLs crap out (and they will crap out soon - did 5 CFLs with 7 year warranties, only 2 made it past 1 year, and when I warrantied them, they sent me coupons that were worth about half of what I paid for the bulbs). The only incandescents left in the house are in the chandelier in the dining room - a room we never use - and the candelabra base bulbs used in the front porch fixtures. Also in the garage door opener, but the vibration would murder CFLs and LEDs.

</str saga>

Cakefool posted:

Also, I love my wife dearly and she is a great cook, but she cannot cook a steak. I'm going to cook the next one myself.

Are you married to my mother?

She is one hell of a cook (and apparently related to Paula Deen - she uses lbs/kgs of butteron everything, and she's pre-diabetic.. and I'm full blown type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure)., but steak to her is either "well done" or "is this a hockey puck or a piece of meat?" If there's resembling pink in a steak, she won't touch it, and won't let anyone else touch it.

I like my steaks to be medium. It's the perfect balance of charred, flavor, and tender. If we're having steak, her steak gets tossed on the hottest part of the grill, while mine (and stepdad's) gets tossed on the middle. Hers gets an extra 5+ minutes. I don't get how you can eat something that burnt, but she refuses to touch any form of beef that isn't burnt.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Goddamn I thought I might have ruined some tires. I was on my way back from class and the fucker in front of me brakes hard enough that I stood on my brakes to keep from hitting him. I don't have ABS on this car so I thought the tires probably got hosed on one spot, but I got home and checked and they are still round.

Rebalancing helps to an extent, but yeah, been in the same boat too many times to count.

So loving glad I no longer do delivery in Frisco TX, I'd have several panic stops every months with the loving idiots there, and I've curbed the gently caress out of my alloys thanks to people thinking "I'm going to make a left turn from the far right lane, even through there's 2 left turn lanes and 2 more lanes between us and an 18 wheeler in the middle lane". That, and it seems like every time a tire shop touches them, I wind up with huge black streaks on the wheels (looks almost like a brake from a balancing machine, if I had to guess; magic eraser gets rid of them, but also gets rid of the clear coat, so I wind up having to wax the loving wheels to keep them looking decent). Even Discount Tire refuses to admit any responsibility when it comes to those marks.

Rhyno posted:

I have a 70" in the living room, a 50" in the bedroom and a 32" in my office. I planned to move the 32" to the garage and put the 40" in here but we're moving in less than 90 days and the new setup means i won't need a tv in my office anymore.

:wtc:

The 8 year old 32" 720p LCD in my bedroom is the biggest LCD in the house. There's also a 32" 1080p TV in the master bedroom, but it's connected to the cable box via coax. :doh: Mine is at least connected to my A/V receiver via HDMI, and the receiver has 4 HDMI inputs + I never counted how many RCA + component inputs it has (all assignable). For the PC, it has HDMI for video, and optical for audio - more because I often play music without the TV on (and it does some weird poo poo if it's solely HDMI and the TV is off).

We have a 36" CRT 1080p in the living room. It takes 3-4 people to move it, and it's old enough that it's incredibly blurry even with a 1080 source. It also doesn't handle 720p (it just goes blank and makes a high pitched screech, as if the flyback transformer is about to explode).

I can't wait to chunk that CRT into a dumpster. It has a gazillion inputs, but everything comes with 480i RCA and HDMI these days. No component outputs on any recent stuff unless you spend a lot of extra cash. Even the $100 guest bedroom TV (a 23" LG TV) has an HDMI input, and it's currently connected to an ancient P4 I found in the alley (with Windows Media Center handling TV stuff).

MrChips posted:

GODDAMMIT I just bought a Nexus 6 (which is awesome), but when I wiped my old phone, I forgot to transfer over my aCar records, and like a moron I didn't back them up either. loving gently caress gently caress

Last time I used aCar, even Titanium Backup couldn't transfer the records... and I was just switching ROMs, I didn't erase the internal or SD storage. That's why I just use GM's Owner Center to keep track of everything now (and also print a list of everything every time I enter something).

Also I'm jealous and want to steal your phone. I can't justify $700 for a phone, especially when Google has a tradition of selling the Nexus devices very close to cost. :smith: And I refuse to go to a post-paid plan. T-Mobile keeps sending me letters asking me to switch, but not only would I lose my grandfathered plan ($70/mo unlimited 4G data/talk/text/MMS), I'd also have to start paying taxes and fees on top of the monthly bill (so I'd be at $80 for the same plan, plus taxes, fees, etc - I'd be paying close to $100/month). It'd be nice to be able to finance a phone, but I'd be looking at an increase of at least $20/month on my plan alone, before factoring in financing a phone. I don't think T-Mo even has the N6 yet.

Geirskogul posted:

I use a cloud backup for this purpose. Worth the $10/year for many, many gigs of space to completely back up my mobile devices.

Dropbox and Google Drive are free to a limit. And if you bought a Nexus 4 (new), you got a large chunk of a Box.net account.

I have all my important poo poo backed up to all 3.

keykey posted:

He sent me a PM about a week ago saying he was done with SA as a whole.

I can likely relay stuff to him if needed (I have a lot of his contact info - email addresses and such, and a mailing address). I'm not sure if he'll show back up or not, to be honest. I'm 100% sure he's lurking and watching though. He really did go through a shitstorm (both IRL and online) after the whole "Saab tumbles down a mountain" bit, so a break will do him a lot of good.

he'll be back.. at some point.

I actually miss him. :smith:

Motronic posted:

I believe it was the last probation.

Pretty much. Personally I thought the probation was bullshit (sorry IoC, I still love you :glomp: no that's not a banana in my pocket, why do you ask?), but it is what it is.

Viggen's been through a lot of horrorshow in the past couple of years, I don't blame him one bit for wanting to disconnect for awhile.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

That sounds a whole like what the ISP I used to work for would do. Frontier?

Centurylink, so about the same level of poo poo.

To make it even better, the tech didn't even bother to set up the new router, and when I got home and tried to it wouldn't connect. Swap back in the old router and it picks up no problem.

I think my connection is so lovely (upload speeds of .04mbit are pretty normal) that the new router was just like "lol nope, I can't talk to that". Proving that there IS loving wiring issue somewhere and that that lazy rear end in a top hat tech they sent out should be fired out of a cannon straight into the Sun.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What model modem do you have? I may be able to dig up a diagnostic login for it, and I can tell you a whole lot about what's going on just from the SnR + upstream/downstream power levels. At the least, I'd suggest using the shortest phone cord you can find and plugging it into the outlet closest to the DMARC (where the outside wiring enters the home).

At least CenturyLink doesn't try to upsell you on $5000 worth of poo poo on every tech call. That's why I left Frontier - they expected me to upsell thousands of dollars worth of garbage per month. I can't upsell stuff I don't believe in; their antivirus was decent, but the ID theft protection was a joke, and they wanted me to sell whole-house warranties for electronics on every call. I actually got the identical ID theft protection package free courtesy of Target, and it didn't catch someone opening a cell phone account and (attempted, but denied, but the attempts knocked over 60 points off of my credit score) multiple credit cards in my name... and they've been loving worthless when it comes to any actual help.

Upload of 0.04mbi just screams line quality issues; I'm betting you have massive packet loss too. The issue now is just figuring out if it's inside wiring or outside. The telco is responsible for everything up to (and including) the DMARC; if your DMARC is new enough that it has actual phone jacks on it, you might try taking the modem outside and hooking it up outside, and seeing if speeds improve (also while looking at SnR and upstream/downstream power levels). If they do, purchase the interior wiring protection for a month (it's usually under $10/month) and get it fixed, then drop the protection.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

What model modem do you have? I may be able to dig up a diagnostic login for it, and I can tell you a whole lot about what's going on just from the SnR + upstream/downstream power levels. At the least, I'd suggest using the shortest phone cord you can find and plugging it into the outlet closest to the DMARC (where the outside wiring enters the home).

Upload of 0.04mbi just screams line quality issues; I'm betting you have massive packet loss too. The issue now is just figuring out if it's inside wiring or outside. The telco is responsible for everything up to (and including) the DMARC; if your DMARC is new enough that it has actual phone jacks on it, you might try taking the modem outside and hooking it up outside, and seeing if speeds improve (also while looking at SnR and upstream/downstream power levels). If they do, purchase the interior wiring protection for a month (it's usually under $10/month) and get it fixed, then drop the protection.

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my nomenclature, the router is actually a modem/router combo unit. They both (old and new) look vaguely like rebranded netgear stuff. I'll PM you with more info when I get home this evening.

Half of all the diagnostic stuff you asked about went straight over my head, networking is not my strong suit. I do know that my uncle, who lived here before us, was the one that did the wiring inside the house, and knowing him and how he does things (cut as many corners as possible) I'm guessing the wiring issue is inside.

I need to make a trip to radioshack anyway...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Everyday Lurker posted:

I owned this 2004 for almost 5 years:

I loved it..it was a great car and a cracked PCV valve was the only trouble it gave me. That is until the engine started consuming huge quantities of oil. Always ran fine, but one day I checked the oil and was 3 qt low. Apparently it just happens sometimes with the 2.3. I traded it the next week.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Doing manhole work today and since I'm on light duty due to my back I get to be the guy that sits out in the cold all day in case someons passes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Doing manhole work today and since I'm on light duty due to my back I get to be the guy that sits out in the cold all day in case someons passes out.

LOL what happens when they pass out, do you just scream down at them to wake up? Not much else you could do with a bad back, other than call paramedics....

• Locked thread