Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hed posted:

in a distant world where steam powers the planet and coffee pays for it... :hehe:

Here's my extremely lovely first attempt at nighiri--I started to get better at it towards the end. Still delicious. Thanks for the help itt everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN43sCyEanA

edit: also, you should stop sucking at posting in the right thread

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit wrong thread

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 16, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

On handgrinder chat, I've got a restored Kissing und Molle c. early 20th century from Orphan Espresso & it served me well for a year or two. It was a pain in the rear end to grind for espresso, even if it was fairly consistent. For a pourover or some sort of immersion brewing it'd be a lot more bearable in terms of number of rotations and effort required. I wanna say it was $90 or so, adjusting the grind on it is a bit finicky, but once you got it dialed in it didn't really drift. Grind consistency for my usage was probably comparable to the midrange Baratzas at 2-3 times that price.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Hauki posted:

On handgrinder chat, I've got a restored Kissing und Molle c. early 20th century from Orphan Espresso & it served me well for a year or two. It was a pain in the rear end to grind for espresso, even if it was fairly consistent. For a pourover or some sort of immersion brewing it'd be a lot more bearable in terms of number of rotations and effort required. I wanna say it was $90 or so, adjusting the grind on it is a bit finicky, but once you got it dialed in it didn't really drift. Grind consistency for my usage was probably comparable to the midrange Baratzas at 2-3 times that price.

Good info, thanks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'd get either the capresso infinity or the baratza maestro which is often sold refurb for a good price.

You can go manual, but most have single bearing shafts and wobble which gives inconsistent grind. A $100 grinder isn't overkill at all. I would argue that is actually starting price for acceptable grinders.
The capresso infinity seems to last an incredibly long time - I know someone who's used his regularly for eight years - but I think the Baratza Maestro design is better. The infinity leaves a lot of old beans around the grinder and has this weird wind tunnel effect when you take out the hopper that makes a few grains of larger grinds float out onto the counter. I had a ton of trouble making the decision and ended up going with the Capresso, and it's the only kitchen appliance I have that I'm tempted to replace.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

No Wave posted:

The capresso infinity seems to last an incredibly long time - I know someone who's used his regularly for eight years - but I think the Baratza Maestro design is better. The infinity leaves a lot of old beans around the grinder and has this weird wind tunnel effect when you take out the hopper that makes a few grains of larger grinds float out onto the counter. I had a ton of trouble making the decision and ended up going with the Capresso, and it's the only kitchen appliance I have that I'm tempted to replace.

Yeah the container is a bit meh. Staticy and kind of messy. I've relegated mine to office use at work and it works fine for that. The biggest downsides are that the hopper is a bit chintzy feeling, and the staticy messiness. and that there are only 16 grind settings, but it's an entry level grinder so I guess you can't complain too much.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere but I'm not going through all 170 loving pages just to make sure, sorry. I really like my nutribullet. Much easier to clean than most other blenders I've used and works superbly for smoothies, the only thing I really even regularly use a blender for these days. Though it does come with a milling blade that's pretty good for making pesto, nut flour, almond milk, etc.

Would recommend. Get the red one, though, it goes faster.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
My gf and I just upgraded from a nutribullet to a vitamix 5200 today and holy poo poo.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Daily Forecast posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere but I'm not going through all 170 loving pages just to make sure, sorry. I really like my nutribullet. Much easier to clean than most other blenders I've used and works superbly for smoothies, the only thing I really even regularly use a blender for these days. Though it does come with a milling blade that's pretty good for making pesto, nut flour, almond milk, etc.

Would recommend. Get the red one, though, it goes faster.

Out of curiosity how long have you had your bullet?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

My gf and I just upgraded from a nutribullet to a vitamix 5200 today and holy poo poo.

ONE OF US

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

No Wave posted:

Could not agree more. I got one of the stainless steel capresso infinity grinders and I had the exact same reaction as you... the amount of grinds it leaves behind is sort of nuts. I'm still on the fence about replacing it, ~1yr later. I only use it for coffee on Saturday and Sunday but if I was using it every day I think I'd have replaced it by now.

deimos posted:

Mine lasted a year before I had to replace it. I miss the old gaskets (the white ones), they stayed put in the blade section. The newer ones (grey) always come out when I take the top off :(

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I've seen a Vitamix in action and it's a thing of beauty. However, I couldn't spring for the cost of one and instead bought an Oster Versa blender. I'm really only using it for smoothies, but I'm totally happy with the purchase so far. So much better than my Ninja.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
My wife and I are in the market for a new fridge and wanted opinions on what works for other goons.

We have a toddler and are shooting for kid #2 this year or early next. We're homeowners, not renting.

We've gone to hardware stores to see floor models and the ones that caught our eye the most were the French door with pullout drawer style. We figure we can put healthy snacks in there and the kids can grab them at their leisure.

This is our first new fridge so almost any "nice" model will be a huge upgrade for us.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Molybdenum posted:

My wife and I are in the market for a new fridge and wanted opinions on what works for other goons.

We have a toddler and are shooting for kid #2 this year or early next. We're homeowners, not renting.

We've gone to hardware stores to see floor models and the ones that caught our eye the most were the French door with pullout drawer style. We figure we can put healthy snacks in there and the kids can grab them at their leisure.

This is our first new fridge so almost any "nice" model will be a huge upgrade for us.

Not sure what your budget is, but something with door-in-door is a great feature to protect your electric bill/temperature-sensitive foods from indecisive kids. They might not be able to access it quite as easily as pull-out drawers until they're taller though.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Molybdenum posted:

French door over pull-out freezer is absolutely the best. If you drink a lot of beverages out of the fridge (rather than from the water dispenser), the door-in-door is nice too. A feature I saw when I last looked at fridges and think would be really useful is the push-back shelving so you can make temporary double-height areas. I certainly resent the need to configure my current fridge with one tiny-height shelf to accommodate a space for a stockpot that gets put there maybe eight times a year. (ETA: Kenmore calls these "slideaway shelves" and Samsung calls them "quickspace" other manufacturers probably have other names.)

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 21, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Molybdenum posted:

Door in door is pretty awesome, but the wife and I chose to go with a side by side because of the savings. I really hope you don't have to buy a counter depth fridge, because the pickings are much slimmer and the price goes way up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can get both. A friend just picked up this one.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I have a microwave/hoodvent combo in our kitchen and I was wondering what people would recommend for replacing it with just a hood vent. About 30" wide, under cabinet setup, and the range is approximately 27" deep. What should I be looking at for price range? What brands should I avoid/focus on? I would prefer something that covered more of the range and I have acres of countertop space so I can put a microwave anywhere else.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

El Jebus posted:

I have a microwave/hoodvent combo in our kitchen and I was wondering what people would recommend for replacing it with just a hood vent. About 30" wide, under cabinet setup, and the range is approximately 27" deep. What should I be looking at for price range? What brands should I avoid/focus on? I would prefer something that covered more of the range and I have acres of countertop space so I can put a microwave anywhere else.

I just ripped out my lovely hood and replaced it with a monster.

you need a. to vent outside, and b. to be pulling at least 600 cfms to be effective.

if you can do those two things, you're on your way to vent hood greatness. otherwise, you're spinning your wheels.

price range is 800-2500, depending on if you do parts of it yourself, and how serious you get with your hood.

I had a 30in stove/recirculating hood, and took down my cabinets and installed a 42in 1200cfm hood and remote blower. hood+blower were about $2100, electrical+hvac were about 1300 (I did a lot of elaborate make up air ducting and poo poo), and I still had to hang the hood myself + do touchup work, which I'd have budgeted about 600 more for.

so in conclusion, I paid about 3400-4000 for a loving epic top of the line sucks my guts out hood with a lot of my own elbow grease - I think you could pay half of that and still have an immensely effective setup. if you don't care as much about details as I did, get a quote for a 600-1200 CFM hood, venting outside of your house, and just go with it.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

El Jebus posted:

Door in door is pretty awesome, but the wife and I chose to go with a side by side because of the savings. I really hope you don't have to buy a counter depth fridge, because the pickings are much slimmer and the price goes way up.

Oh yeah I probably should have mentioned that. The fridge will be stand alone, no counter or anything to worry about. We can have it as deep as 38" before coming even with a (perpendicular) door frame that is an additional 4" before you get to the door hinge. Width wise it could be 5' no problem, but I don't think residential fridges ever get that wide.

So, tons of room.

I'll take another look at the door in door thing. I think all of the French door units had the collapsible shelves for tall items.

The hot water one sounds gimmicky. It doesn't get quite hot enough for black tea and it only does one cup at a time, not a kettle's worth.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I have a similar setup that backs up to a wall. Will venting this thing to the outside make much of a difference with the crappy stock fan like that?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

various cheeses posted:

I have a similar setup that backs up to a wall. Will venting this thing to the outside make much of a difference with the crappy stock fan like that?

Absolutely. My last house has a standard microwave with a fan on it and it just blew the fumes around the house. My new house has the same style microwave but it vents to the outside and it's night and day. It's definitely not going to match a dedicated wide opening vent, but boy is it better than a non-vented one.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

mindphlux posted:

(I did a lot of elaborate make up air ducting and poo poo),

This. If you're DIYing a monster exhaust with gas appliances in the house pay attention to your make up air. Exhausting your gas water heater into the house is not funny.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

rockcity posted:

Absolutely. My last house has a standard microwave with a fan on it and it just blew the fumes around the house. My new house has the same style microwave but it vents to the outside and it's night and day. It's definitely not going to match a dedicated wide opening vent, but boy is it better than a non-vented one.

Ok good. That's like #1 on my list of home improvements because current setup just farts greasy air back into the kitchen. The cabinet knobs above the vent constantly get a thin film of grease.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Go deep with a fridge. Unless you only want to store like 5 things in it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
A few years back my parents decided to go balls to the wall and remodeled the poo poo out of their kitchen. Heated floors, giant vent, 2.5 ovens, griddle, grill, burners out the rear end, all Wolf. I don't even care that it was probably my inheritance out the window because it's loving glorious to blast something on the grill and see every bit of smoke/vapor get sucked right outside.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Gorman Thomas posted:

I made some butternut squash puree in my Vitamix and served it with some lamb and one diner's comment was "that orange sauce was tasty!"

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Why did I ever loving use a straight peeler? I just got an Oxo Y-peeler and hooooly poo poo.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Can anyone recommend me a reliable salinity meter for maintaining good brines long-term on a restaurant kitchen?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

About to pull the trigger on a tri-ply 3 qt saucepan. The Cooks Standard Multi-Ply was recommended earlier and I just want to double-check I'm not overlooking something else: http://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Standard-Multi-Ply-Stainless-Steel-3-Quart/dp/B00421AYIG/

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
I posted this in chat-thread but it's worth reiterating here for anyone thinking about getting a Searzall, since I just got mine yesterday and gave it a workout over the past 24 hours: pay the extra $20 for the TS8000. I was really disappointed with the Searzall on meat (steak and burgers) when I tried it with the 4000. it was slow as hell even from <1cm away and took so long to develop a crust that the steak (cooked sous vide) went from rare all the way past medium to medium-well. and at the end of it all the crust wasn't any better than I could accomplish in my lovely cheap stainless cuisinart skillet. that pissed me off and it's a good thing I gave it a test run before cooking for others. it did do an admirable job making croque monsieur, grilled cheese, firming up whites on sunny-side up eggs, toasting bread, and stuff like that, but for meat the 4000 is woefully inadequate.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
honestly the 'searzall' sounds like the dumbest loving concept for a kitchen tool, I don't even get it.

it's useless for any application in bulk (like searing 20 portioned steaks for a dinner party or something), it's comically slow even for just a single serving portion, it's a unitasker if you want to put it in alton-brownesque - and if you just need to torch some creme brulee or something it's way overkill.

and don't get me wrong, I mean I've used my circulator almost daily since I got it, I have tapicoa maltodextrin and ultratex sitting on my shelf, I'm on board with 'modernist' techniques.

the searzall just sounds like a lovely cunting spergy e-nerd i-wanking invention though, gently caress it. if I want to sear the poo poo out of something after it comes out of the puddle, I'll leave my stainless on the heat for 5 minutes before dropping my protein in or whatever. I mean christ. If that's not enough, light a chimney of charcoal and just cook on top of the chimney.

you don't need fancy gadgets for pure unadulterated heat.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

honestly the 'searzall' sounds like the dumbest loving concept for a kitchen tool, I don't even get it.

it's useless for any application in bulk (like searing 20 portioned steaks for a dinner party or something), it's comically slow even for just a single serving portion, it's a unitasker if you want to put it in alton-brownesque - and if you just need to torch some creme brulee or something it's way overkill.

and don't get me wrong, I mean I've used my circulator almost daily since I got it, I have tapicoa maltodextrin and ultratex sitting on my shelf, I'm on board with 'modernist' techniques.

the searzall just sounds like a lovely cunting spergy e-nerd i-wanking invention though, gently caress it. if I want to sear the poo poo out of something after it comes out of the puddle, I'll leave my stainless on the heat for 5 minutes before dropping my protein in or whatever. I mean christ. If that's not enough, light a chimney of charcoal and just cook on top of the chimney.

you don't need fancy gadgets for pure unadulterated heat.

agree.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's pretty awesome when the broiler on your oven sucks.

Also I get slightly better browning on it than I got on my cast iron. And I can touch up the browning in corners and crevices, which is nice.

You hate us cause you ain't us

:smuggo:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

deimos posted:

FUNNY YOU WOULD ASK THAT because I just came back to this thread to report that the fucker broke after almost exactly a year and one week of owning it. Hilarious! Was blending a smoothie and the motor burned out. Smelled like smoke and would no longer run, so I'm just gonna go ahead and assume it's hosed. And here I am, drinking my half-blended smoothie like some kind of loving chump, which is truly the worst of all.

I would truly love a Vitamix but I'm not ready to put down five hundred bucks on a blender at this point in my life. I need a blender but I don't want to get another Nutribullet, if this is what happens. What's the best blender I can get for about a hundred bucks? How are those Ninja blenders I keep seeing?

Edit: so I found this. That's a significantly easier price to swallow. Does anybody have any experience/thoughts about a refurbished vitamix? It comes with a five year warranty. It even comes in red. So it'll go faster.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 26, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

FUNNY YOU WOULD ASK THAT because I just came back to this thread to report that the fucker broke after almost exactly a year and one week of owning it. Hilarious! Was blending a smoothie and the motor burned out. Smelled like smoke and would no longer run, so I'm just gonna go ahead and assume it's hosed. And here I am, drinking my half-blended smoothie like some kind of loving chump, which is truly the worst of all.

I would truly love a Vitamix but I'm not ready to put down five hundred bucks on a blender at this point in my life. I need a blender but I don't want to get another Nutribullet, if this is what happens. What's the best blender I can get for about a hundred bucks? How are those Ninja blenders I keep seeing?

Edit: so I found this. That's a significantly easier price to swallow. Does anybody have any experience/thoughts about a refurbished vitamix? It comes with a five year warranty. It even comes in red. So it'll go faster.

Those refurb Vitas are great. If you have a Costco membership brand new ones are 374 anf have a longer warranty if you're into that kind of thing. The refurbs are the ones they use on the road shows so they see literally 8 hours a day 7 days a week use. It'll most likely be fine but piece of mind and all that. You know.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

If you have a Costco membership brand new ones are 374

Are they cheaper in the store than the ones on the website? Because I'm seeing the same blender for $500.

edit: Also, being used that much just shows that it's a good blender, right? And if the thing breaks, at least I have that warranty and they'll give me a new motor? Finding it hard to see the downsides, honestly.

edit edit: Yeah, I'm guessing I need to go to one of those "vitamix events" that they sometimes have, and unfortunately the next one at the costco even remotely in reasonable driving distance to me is having theirs on Feb 20. Not sure if I can go that long without a blender!

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 26, 2015

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Copy/pasting from Slickdeals:

All-Clad Home and Cookware has a Factory Seconds sale (which means they might have minor dents or scratches), got an email about it today because I registered one of my All-Clad pans.

Includes MC2, Stainless Steel, d5 Brushed, Copper Core, Accessories, and Specialty Cookware - up to 70% off, Jan26 9AM (ET) until Jan 27 9AM (ET).

"The products which are for sale on this site are factory seconds. They have minor cosmetic scratches and/or dents. There are no defects which will affect the cookware's performance. For this event, all sales are final, no returns will be accepted.
We will ship to continental United States and US Military address (APO/FPO/DPO).
We WILL NOT ship to PO Boxes. US customers only."

Link - http://www.homeandcooksales.com/
PW - ALLCLADVIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

lowcrabdiet posted:

Copy/pasting from Slickdeals:

All-Clad Home and Cookware has a Factory Seconds sale (which means they might have minor dents or scratches), got an email about it today because I registered one of my All-Clad pans.

Includes MC2, Stainless Steel, d5 Brushed, Copper Core, Accessories, and Specialty Cookware - up to 70% off, Jan26 9AM (ET) until Jan 27 9AM (ET).

"The products which are for sale on this site are factory seconds. They have minor cosmetic scratches and/or dents. There are no defects which will affect the cookware's performance. For this event, all sales are final, no returns will be accepted.
We will ship to continental United States and US Military address (APO/FPO/DPO).
We WILL NOT ship to PO Boxes. US customers only."

Link - http://www.homeandcooksales.com/
PW - ALLCLADVIP

Thanks for this, just got a stainless 12" pan for $80. :D

• Locked thread