Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tatsujin posted:

is heb like woodmans in wisconsin where its the size of a superwalmart but they only have groceries and have like a dozen different brands of every food item and a liquor section that is literally a regular sized liquor store put inside the store with its own entrance doors?

also tortilla machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

uber recently released some post crowing about how their SF operation is now pulling in 3x the revenue of the traditional taxi fleet.

which sounds like they are pulling off the impossible until you realize that they are conveniently leaving off the factoid that traditional taxis have seen in excess of a 70% drop in revenue since uber and whatnot started operations. I would expect black car services took a similar thwacking

also that uber makes a lot of extra money by ignoring the laws completely. for example, taxi fares in sf are strictly regulated, while uber charges whatever they want and can rake in the dough with surge pricing. they also don't pay any licensing fees or penalties.

and they make no effort to handle expensive edge cases - sf taxi companies have cut the number of expensive-to-operate wheelchair-accessible cabs in half over that same period in order to compensate for those falling revenues as uber (which has almost no disability-friendly vehicles) steals all the easy customers away

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

if artificial intelligence is ever good enough to replace basic blue-collar workers (e.g. drivers, factory, basic service, dock-hands, etc.) there will either be a universal income or bloody class war with the rich deploying automated police buzzsaws

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PleasingFungus posted:

not every member of the staff, just an arbitrarily chosen subset

please don't ask me why they chose the people they did, I have no idea

bored marketing person social media director probably thought OUR FRONT WINDOW IS THE MOST SOCIAL OF MEDIA

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

im the comic sans

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uber is literally the mob flaunting their money and investors going "please give me a piece of that!!!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jesus christ, i'm the lead-balls-on-strings-on-a-flywheel method of crowd pacification

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

jesus christ, i'm the lead-balls-on-strings-on-a-flywheel method of crowd pacification

have you seen those de-minefield-ing trucks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'm the implication that the mechanical cop's primary job is teargassing and beating crowds in 1924

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

As a Millennial I posted:

lyft is dropping their giant engine-choking plush mustaches in favor of Teh Glowstache

While still pink, the small, plastic mustaches are designed to float on drivers' dashboards using magnets and at night will emit a soft pink glow.

not surprising considering i haven't seen the old stache in at least a year

does it come with a convenient 'off' switch, for stealthing into airports?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

if artificial intelligence is ever good enough to replace basic blue-collar workers (e.g. drivers, factory, basic service, dock-hands, etc.) there will either be a universal income or bloody class war with the rich deploying automated police buzzsaws

good news: creating/maintaining AI and robots to do menial jobs costs more than paying poo poo salaries to blue collar workers. wage slavery will never go out of style

we're currently on track for a Gattaca style dystopia imo

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Tatsujin posted:

is heb like woodmans in wisconsin where its the size of a superwalmart but they only have groceries and have like a dozen different brands of every food item and a liquor section that is literally a regular sized liquor store put inside the store with its own entrance doors?

don't forget the 4 aisles of cheese

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

h e butt. lmao

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

qirex posted:

for some reason the "smartest" economists we have seem to think that "the economy isn't zero sum" also means "anything can be worth infinity dollars"

i was more thinking pump & dump but that works as well

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Necc0 posted:

i was more thinking pump & dump but that works as well

well yeah the people inside uber are just like yeah sure we're worth 100 billion dollars no sweat here's some of our company

it's the people investing now after they already took a billion in vc who are stupid

facebook did a similar thing but they didn't make a big deal out of it there were just a bunch of super wealthy people who were like "get me some of that facebook" and since these were private banking investors I imagine this uber deal is the same

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

bored marketing person social media director probably thought OUR FRONT WINDOW IS THE MOST SOCIAL OF MEDIA

no, I mean, that's definitely why. apparently we did get a decent number of hires from people who first saw our sign walking by - for programmer pedestrian density, it's hard to do better than downtown mountain view...

funny place. I'll be sad when this boom is over, truth be.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

these investors do all realize the whole "needs to take over the entire north american taxi market, and then some, to match their valuation" thing right?

do they think that'll actually happen?

goldman probably thinks their valuation is stupid but is betting, probably correctly, on the general public being even stupider when the ipo launches

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

being a market maker owns, you make money whether or not the thing actually works, like they probably made 8 figures on that uber deal without risking a dime of their own $$ just by brokering it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also

quote:

EBay said today that it would cut about seven percent of its workforce globally in the first quarter as it looks to reduce costs ahead of its planned spinoff of PayPal. The company also said it would explore a sale or IPO for its eBay Enterprise unit, which provides online and brick and mortar retailers with software tools and warehousing and logistics services.

The job cuts are expected to affect 2,400 positions across all divisions of the company, including PayPal, the company said. eBay’s stock was trading up nearly 4 percent in after-hours trading.
e: cremnob favorite carl icahn still loving with them too

quote:

EBay also announced a deal with shareholder Carl Icahn to name Icahn crony Jonathan Christodoro to eBay’s board. The so-called “standstill agreement” was reached to keep Icahn from agitating for a bigger stake or a hostile takeover of the company. Upon eBay’s split with PayPal — which Icahn had pushed for and which is expected to happen later this year — Icahn can determine whether Christodoro will remain on eBay’s board or take a seat on PayPal’s instead. If it wasn’t already clear, Icahn won this fight.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

computer parts posted:

heb and texas bbq

oh and the abundance of mexican food (but that's easier to get these days)

most mexican food in az and california is poo poo. texas has it figured out

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Forums Terrorist posted:

agreed, eat the billionaires

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

qirex posted:

also

:newlol:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

born on a buy you posted:

new mexican cuisine superiority

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

qirex posted:

well yeah the people inside uber are just like yeah sure we're worth 100 billion dollars no sweat here's some of our company

it's the people investing now after they already took a billion in vc who are stupid

facebook did a similar thing but they didn't make a big deal out of it there were just a bunch of super wealthy people who were like "get me some of that facebook" and since these were private banking investors I imagine this uber deal is the same

facebook is starting to generate some serious $$$ now though and all signs are pointing to them continuing to grow but yeah there's no way any of them could have known that back then

uber doesn't even have a network effect let alone anything else to protect their business model either. lmao

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

born on a buy you posted:

you poor son of a bitch

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

qirex posted:

lol i saw this headline right as i was leaving work and wanted to post this to see cremnobs reaction

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Necc0 posted:

facebook is starting to generate some serious $$$ now though and all signs are pointing to them continuing to grow but yeah there's no way any of them could have known that back then

uber doesn't even have a network effect let alone anything else to protect their business model either. lmao

Facebook pissing off social media marketing "experts" by gutting reach via like spam and instead making companies actually pay to reach users pleases me. now if only Twitter would do the same maybe they could make money too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

DolphinCop posted:

good news: creating/maintaining AI and robots to do menial jobs costs more than paying poo poo salaries to blue collar workers. wage slavery will never go out of style

we're currently on track for a Gattaca style dystopia imo

please, the proper term for them is "morlocks"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

new mexican cuisine superiority

mega agreedo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

these investors do all realize the whole "needs to take over the entire north american taxi market, and then some, to match their valuation" thing right?

do they think that'll actually happen?

you know how bitcoin people say that ponzi schemes are a-okay, because they're smart enough to get out before it explodes? same thing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

this has already happened
  • factories are extensively automated
    today we have triple the (inflation-adjusted) output with just 3/4ths the staff of 60 years ago

• containerized shipping basically erased the dockhand
    less than 1% of the staff is needed, and docks/wharves have virtually disappeared from our cities. (when everything is containerized, you can move goods through centralized ports, there's no need for docks to be near housing or services)

• fast food restaurants have a tiny fraction of the service staff they once did
    more of the food is prepared offsite in factories

• casual dining restaurants are eliminating waiters and cooks right now, today
    when brinker intl. finishes their current rollouts, a chilis restaurant will only employ a handful of servers (who physically bring the food to the table then walk away) and "cooks" (who put things on a conveyor belt, like a pizza hut).

when modern industry started shedding workers en masse in the 50s, theorists predicted blood in the streets

instead we got the rust belt

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 22, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

you know how bitcoin people say that ponzi schemes are a-okay, because they're smart enough to get out before it explodes? same thing

the technical term is "greater fool theory"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/article/Drug-laden-drone-crashes-near-US-Mexico-border-6031008.php

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

containerized shipping basically erased the dockhand
less than 1% of the staff is needed, and docks/wharves have virtually disappeared from our cities. (when everything is containerized, you can move goods through centralized ports, there's no need for docks to be near housing or services)

ships too, you can ship ten times as much cargo with a tenth of the people compared with 40 years ago

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• factories are extensively automated
    today we have triple the (inflation-adjusted) output with just 3/4ths the staff of 60 years ago

It's even worse in steel. we make more steel in this region than ever before but the factories are incredibly automated now and operate with orders of magnitude less staff.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Thomson_Steel_Works

that mill has been in continuous operation since 1872 and used to be operated by over 10,000 men a shift. it's less than 500 now.

(also I'm the picture taken in the 1990s with a black and white filter applied)

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

computer parts posted:

ships too, you can ship ten times as much cargo with a tenth of the people compared with 40 years ago

And you employee filipinos for all the horrible dangerous jobs for a fraction of the price and one or two actually qualified ex-soviets for slightly more to run the whole thing. And if your ship sinks and your crew dies welp your going to make more in insurance anyway.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's even worse in steel. we make more steel in this region than ever before but the factories are incredibly automated now and operate with orders of magnitude less staff.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Thomson_Steel_Works

that mill has been in continuous operation since 1872 and used to be operated by over 10,000 men a shift. it's less than 500 now.

(also I'm the picture taken in the 1990s with a black and white filter applied)

by even worse you do mean even better, right?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

uber did an economic analysis with alan kreuger

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...%80%8B/?hpid=z4

some choice excerpts

quote:

Uber drivers in many of the company's major markets are making about $6 an hour more than their traditional — and professional — taxi-driver counterparts, according to a rare analysis of internal data the company released Thursday along with Princeton economist Alan Krueger. In Washington, the difference is about $4.60, in San Francisco it's about $10 and in New York it's closer to $15.

These gross earnings don't account for the considerable costs drivers pay to deploy their own cars as modern-day taxis. But Uber argues that these numbers paint a picture of decent work in a shifting economy where tens of thousands of people — nearly half of them with college degrees — have recently found supplemental income and more flexibility doing a job that has long been the domain of immigrants and middle-aged men.

There has been a shortage of hard data to answer these questions — Are these good jobs? Would they even exist in a better economy? — as platforms such as Uber have proliferated over the past five years. Krueger argues that the numbers Uber is releasing now point to the first picture — Uber as the promising future of work — and not the second.

"When I looked through the survey, I was struck by how many of the drivers already had jobs when they started," says Krueger, who says he had full discretion over his research. "They joined Uber not out of desperation, but because it offered new opportunity that could help them smooth their income, smooth fluctuations from other jobs, and add a supplement to their household income. The more I looked into it, the more I thought this rapid growth is really not a result of a weak job market, but the result of a new opportunity."

so, i don't know much about economists, but this kreuger guy sounds like a shill and a tool. people are taking a second job cause they want to? are you loving retarded? almost no-one enjoys working their first job, much less driving around some jackass who just barfed all over their upholstery at 2am

i do know that he used to work for obummer

quote:

Previously, Professor Krueger served as Chairman of President Barack Obama’s Council of Economic Advisers and a Member of his Cabinet from November 2011 to August 2013. He also served as Assistant Secretary for Economic Policy and Chief Economist of the U.S. Department of the Treasury in 2009-10, and as Chief Economist at the U.S. Department of Labor in 1994-95.

i guess that's why we can't get the democrats to raise taxes on the rich, their economic advisers are ultracapitalist shills

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

vegan strip club in hipster mecca portland run by a shithead

quote:

Jessica, a Portland dancer who has heard seven years of dressing room gossip about Casa Diablo, says, "It is well known that Casa Diablo has a really unique auditioning process compared to [other clubs]—you have to give full two-way contact lap dances to... Johnny, which is really unusual in this industry."

Matilda Bickers, one of the dancers suing the club, likewise said new dancers have to audition by giving Zukle a full-friction lap dance. During the dance, Bickers said, "[Zukle] would grab your nipples and be like, 'They can't touch you here, or on your crotch,' and then he'd pat your crotch." (Apparently touching these areas is now allowed during lap dances at Casa Diablo, but wasn't three years ago when Bickers first auditioned.) Bickers added that bouncers regularly touched, groped, and untied dancers' outfits, even after the dancers complained. If dancers touched the bouncers, they could be fined $100.

"There seems to be this disconnect where people are really invested now in organic, free-range, and fair-trade stuff—except when it comes to their sex workers," Bickers tells me. "You can consume a service and still care about it. I can give you a really great lap dance and rub on your dick, and you can still care that I'm being treated fairly. [Customers] can come in and get their lap dances, but they should also be like, 'Hey, you should treat your workers better.' It wouldn't take much if the club thought this was a priority—if they cared half as much for the women working for them as they did about animals."

Dancers I spoke with complained of unreasonably long hours, scheduling insanity, and a pattern of dehumanizing behavior by management that ranged from throwing away a dancer's non-vegan food to non-consensual groping and spanking. Most recalled some form of sexual harassment and Zukle making fun of emotionally vulnerable dancers. Several mentioned the large self-portrait Zukle painted of himself as the devil that hung in the club, and one shared a heartbreaking story of Zukle ridiculing a young woman for having an abortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what the gently caress is a vegan strip club?

• Locked thread