Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

semicolonsrock posted:

Looking for recommendations!

I've recently read and enjoyed: Saga, Rat Queens, Chew, Sex Criminals, and Nowhere Men (in roughly that order of appreciation). What other comics should I read to get more of the same?

I'd always recommend Hickman's work. Manhattan Projects, East of West, Nightly News.

Casanova. A million times Casanova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

semicolonsrock posted:

Looking for recommendations!

I've recently read and enjoyed: Saga, Rat Queens, Chew, Sex Criminals, and Nowhere Men (in roughly that order of appreciation). What other comics should I read to get more of the same?

Caveat: sadly, I've read all of Brian Vaughan's work already, as well as Fables.

e: Looking at the Eisner awards list for inspiration, it looks like I've unknowingly (maybe not surprisingly) read most of the winners in writing/continuing/new series already. :(

Check out Manhattan Projects it's more crazy science stuff like Nowhere Men, very different style though. The writer of Nowhere Men just started a new series called They Are Not Like Us and the first issue came out last week so maybe pick that up.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 13, 2015

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Uthor posted:

I'd always recommend Hickman's work. Manhattan Projects, East of West, Nightly News.

Casanova. A million times Casanova.

Ooh I did like east of west, will definitely look into these.

I'll also check out madman, thanks for the recommendations! Would also love any more.

E: also they are not like us was good too, excited to see where it goes

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 14, 2015

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I read through Remender's run of X-Force thanks to this thread. How has Spurrier's run been of X-force? Worth checking out?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CowboyAndy posted:

I read through Remender's run of X-Force thanks to this thread. How has Spurrier's run been of X-force? Worth checking out?

Amazingly weird and wonderful. If you've read his run on Legacy, then you know what to expect.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CowboyAndy posted:

Amazing. I wasn't feeling the first few issues - that happens sometimes with Spurrier - but once you get a couple issues in and see where he's going with it even the issues I wasn't sold on look better in hindsight. So damned good.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

I watched and really enjoyed the Young Justice cartoon series and then made the mistake of checking out geoff johns' Teen Titans run thinking I would be getting something of similar quality. It was awful and I feel even worse for reading his entire run thinking it would get better at some point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vorik posted:

I watched and really enjoyed the Young Justice cartoon series and then made the mistake of checking out geoff johns' Teen Titans run thinking I would be getting something of similar quality. It was awful and I feel even worse for reading his entire run thinking it would get better at some point.

I forget, was it Johns or whoever took over from him that had Raven go to high school and get a tramp stamp?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

I forget, was it Johns or whoever took over from him that had Raven go to high school and get a tramp stamp?

Johns, and pretty early on in his run, too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's a good Teen Titans run? Especially one that was at least partially targetted at actual teenagers like Runaways or the current Ms. Marvel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

What's a good Teen Titans run? Especially one that was at least partially targetted at actual teenagers like Runaways or the current Ms. Marvel.

I'm not sure such a thing exists.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
New Teen Titans was aimed at that set in the same way the equivalent X-Men was, in the whole embracing-of-soap-opera thing.

OG Teen Titans was technically aimed at that set, but Bob Haney had NO IDEA how to write for them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh look, it does exist!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I say just buy a copy of the X-Men/Titans crossover one-shot and stop there.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 22, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jeff Lemire's Teen Titans: Earth One OGN is almost litigiously like Runways.
I liked it, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Fabian Nicieza and Mark Bagley.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Skwirl posted:

Young Justice

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Shawn posted:

Young Justice

The only correct answer, honestly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jeff Lemire's Teen Titans: Earth One OGN is almost litigiously like Runways.
I liked it, though.
This almost makes me want to read it. Almost.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I kinda want to read Lemire's Green Arrow.

Is there anything I should know before I dive in? I know next to nothing about DC outside of what one might gather via some Batman and Superman movies and occasionally hearing friends mention weird/dumb poo poo they're mad about (and skimming DC-related posts in BSS).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Is there anything I should know before I dive in? I know next to nothing about DC outside of what one might gather via some Batman and Superman movies and occasionally hearing friends mention weird/dumb poo poo they're mad about (and skimming DC-related posts in BSS).

Nope It is pretty self contained.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I have the first volume of Lemire's run, if you're interested. It's Volume 4, but you really don't need to read Volumes 1-3 to follow it, or anything that predated the New 52 reboot from 2011. It might help if you're a fan of Arrow (the show), as Lemire's run is heavily influenced by it, but you should be fine otherwise.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lemire literally blows up everything built up till then in his first issue.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Oliver Queen is rich and has 2 people helping him in his crusade. Now go.. Read the best GA run in over 20 years.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Taking a shot as someone who doesn't read a lot of comic books, I am looking for two different things: gritty cyberpunk comics that sort of channel the feeling of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Alien. I am a big fan of the work of Tsutomu Nihei who does a really good job of giving the feeling of an isolated protagonist trapped in an overwhelming and hostile environment.

Second thing I am looking for is something to fill the void of Saga as I wait for the next TPB, I like it (and similarly Sandman) because of the crazy world building, awesome character cast (and queer inclusive cast), and amazing artwork (Fionna Staples).

Suggestions on either front would be much appreciated!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Second thing I am looking for is something to fill the void of Saga as I wait for the next TPB, I like it (and similarly Sandman) because of the crazy world building, awesome character cast (and queer inclusive cast), and amazing artwork (Fionna Staples).
Suggestions on either front would be much appreciated!

Madman!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Taking a shot as someone who doesn't read a lot of comic books, I am looking for two different things: gritty cyberpunk comics that sort of channel the feeling of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Alien.

There are not as many as I would wish, myself. Here are some things you maaaay like:

I've never read Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis, but I'm pretty sure that fits right in that sweet spot.

Heavy Liquid and 100% by Paul Pope (who is awesome all the time anyway)

Hard Boiled by Frank Miller and Geoff Darrow

I'm going to throw Ghost Rider 2099 out there too. You could probably stop once Chris Bachalo leaves the title. The 2099 titles were all about Cyber-This and Cyber-That.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 26, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Gonna go ahead and recommend Rat Queens. It's a bit sillier and bawdier than Saga, but you've definitely got your awesome world building and characters.

EDIT: And the great artwork by the decidedly unfriendly Roc Upchurch.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Taking a shot as someone who doesn't read a lot of comic books, I am looking for two different things: gritty cyberpunk comics that sort of channel the feeling of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Alien. I am a big fan of the work of Tsutomu Nihei who does a really good job of giving the feeling of an isolated protagonist trapped in an overwhelming and hostile environment.
Check out Old City Blues. The guy loves old animes and it shows. Future noir detective stories.

You can read it only for free here:

http://milonogiannis.com/OCB/

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Frank miller's Ronin

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! These all look really solid!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys! These all look really solid!

You might also wanna scope out Channel Zero by Brian Wood; I remember liking it a lot back when I read it, though it's been a while. It fits the gritty cyberpunk thing real well though! ... Although, keep in mind that Brian Wood is apparently kind of a scumbag, so I guess that's worth keeping in mind.

And thanks to everyone else for the advice on Green Arrow, I'm gonna jump on in with Lemire's stuff then!

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

A Tin Of Beans posted:

You might also wanna scope out Channel Zero by Brian Wood; I remember liking it a lot back when I read it, though it's been a while. It fits the gritty cyberpunk thing real well though! ... Although, keep in mind that Brian Wood is apparently kind of a scumbag, so I guess that's worth keeping in mind.

And thanks to everyone else for the advice on Green Arrow, I'm gonna jump on in with Lemire's stuff then!
Pretty harsh statement on Wood there. Sounds like he just made an unsuccessful pass at a woman at a Convention and she freaked out about it. He apologized and she accepted his apology. No reason to slander the guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Do you work for the guy's PR team or something?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Can you slander a guy with the truth?

I don't think that is how that works.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Pretty harsh statement on Wood there. Sounds like he just made an unsuccessful pass at a woman at a Convention and she freaked out about it. He apologized and she accepted his apology. No reason to slander the guy.

He sexually harassed a woman while his wife was at home either pregnant or with an infant. I mean I'm a fan of Roman Polansky and Woody Allen films, so I'm not going say you shouldn't read Brian Wood, but he's a bit of a dirt bag (I liked Northlanders).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Let's not forget that this is apparently a pattern of behavior for him and not an isolated incident.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Jeff Wiiver posted:

"apparently kind of a scum bag" is too harsh a statement now? I didn't say that reading his stuff would be a heinous crime, nor even that he's definitely a total scumbag. Some people prefer to avoid creators who've sexually harassed people, and you can't make that choice if you don't know about it. Hell, I didn't even say what he'd done - I figured google'd do the trick if the dude I recommended the book to really cared to look. :shrug: I still recommended a comic by the man. I thought it was worth a mention just in case.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Hell, I recommended Rat Queens earlier and apparently Roc Upchurch, the artist, has trouble distinguishing between his wife and a punching bag. lovely people can be talented creators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I love Cerebus. There, I said it.

On the other hand, I haven't read anything by Brian Wood that was better than average...