Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

CDW posted:

A tracert came in...

And yes, they have an IT person. Not my call/issue, but this is the best I've seen in our chat.

"Yeah we have three routers, two content filters and two firewalls all at the same site. You don't? Psh, defense in depth bro"

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I feel like that could have been done in a less nuclear manner with a powershell script.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Assuming you're using an in-house Exchange server or o365, almost certainly. The Exchange Powershell module has specific commands for dealing with calendar permissions. Dump that poo poo to a CSV and let Excel show you the odd man out.

It wouldn't be proper management without nuclear scale panic mode would it? I'm a relative amateur when it comes to dealing with situations like these, so plenty of learning opportunities; particularly looking into scripting to make life easier.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

neogeo0823 posted:

Sometimes, parents just never end up trusting their kids judgement on anything.

I spent a couple hours helping my mom shop for her first laptop, ended up giving her a selection of 14-15" screen consumer-line models. She picked one, went online, ordered a 17" screen version instead because it was the same price, WHY NOT RIGHT?

When it arrived she called me and told me what she'd done and apologized for not listening to me. It was really a lot heavier than she expected (which is why I didn't pick any of the 17" models in the first place and I explained this before she ordered). Oh, also, it didn't have a touch screen while my picks did. Not a big deal but that's why the price was the same :rolleyes:

Fortunately she got it through Costco which meant she was able to return it without any hassle at all, and bought one of my picks afterwards.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Super Slash posted:

It wouldn't be proper management without nuclear scale panic mode would it? I'm a relative amateur when it comes to dealing with situations like these, so plenty of learning opportunities; particularly looking into scripting to make life easier.

Check out (when you have time) https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com - It has some fantastic videos for most of their certifications, as well as Powershell. I found it to be incredibly helpful for Powershell 3.

Microsoft's Technet site is also fantastic for searching about unknown cmdlets, or problems you might have. Chances are others have encountered the same problems.

Get-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity meetings@company.com:\calendar | -export-csv C:\blah\blah.pst would work in this situation I think

Further edit: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/getting-started-with-powershell-3-0-jump-start mucho recommendo

e: Forgot to pipe the results of Get-MailboxFolderPermissions into the -export-csv cmdlet

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 22, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Are you in the Portland, OR area? Do you want to work with a couple of goons at a reasonably cool company, playing with high tech? We're hiring for a Command Center Technician, which can do everything from Cloud Provisioning to opening a cabinet and upgrading a server.

PM me!

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Are you in Australia? Maybe even in Sydney? Do you know Arcsight intimately? You poor bastard. Also, there's a job for you. PM me!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

neogeo0823 posted:

All moms are like that. I used to work at Best Buy, selling appliances for 2 years. Now, it was a poo poo job, but I kept up on ALL the vendor training, because I legitimately wanted to make sure my customers got exactly what they were looking for. My mom asked me to buy her a vacuum one year for christmas, and I told her to come into the store and I'd talk her through them and help her pick one out. I did my research, and picked an inexpensive middle-of-the-road model. When she came in, I showed her a couple models, and then talked up the chosen one. After hearing my shpeal, she adamently refused to consider the one I picked because reasons. This other one looks nicer, that other one seems more powerful, this one is better because it's more expensive, right? Finally, my shift was just about to end and one of my coworkers came over to take over while I went and clocked out. By the time I came back, they had convinced my mom that one particular model was the one she wanted. It was perfectly priced, with great features, and was exactly the same model I tried to talk her into. My coworker had used all the same selling points I had, so the only difference was that my mom had heard it from a person who was not her child.

Sometimes, parents just never end up trusting their kids judgement on anything.

I know exactly what the gently caress you're talking about. Parents and roommates.
"No but isn't it........"
"I think it's.........."
[stares into distance not really paying attention while you explain facts]
[insert statement based more on an emotional response to a product than facts]

edit: I may or may not have just gotten off the phone with a parent who wants to buy a massively expensive SUV instead of a nice, small, longer-lasting import sedan because of ~reasons~, so I might be reacting SLIGHTLY MORE INTENSELY to your frustration than I might otherwise.

I can't get my mother (I'm 30) to stop overspending on rent, keep looking at cars $8k-$10k more expensive than they are worth, and start really focusing on what she can do for her retirement savings during what she *thinks* is the last decade of her working life.

As you suggest, maybe it's because I'm her kid -- someone else needs to slap this sense into her.

This tangent went places, sorry.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 22, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Back on track: We have users occasionally request Adobe Acrobat Pro for [insert whatever reason here]. We're not strapped on cash, so if it's halfway reasonable, we buy a license.

I love our helpdesk application; we have a written record of everything.

About a year ago: User requests Adobe Pro because s/he saw others had Adobe Pro and wants to go paperless like them. Cool, that's great! You'll save us paper. Here you go.

Recently: User prints out a 68 page document in front of me so s/he can review it before scanning it and emailing it back to the author to apply revisions. I was up there to show him/her how to make an exception to our duplex-printing driver default for a job that needs to be one-sided. We've been on a push for duplex printing as management is finally on board with the notion that, yes, two-sided documents are enforceable in court.

User tries to explain to me that s/he absolutely needs this transient draft to be single sided. No, no no you don't get it do you have a law degree I have a law degree we'll be laughing stock if we are audited and we have duplex paper.

It becomes evident after a moment that user does not use Adobe Acrobat Pro -- it has not been used since installation. User has not been using it to make edits on draft documents as originally requested. S/he has instead been printing 50-300-page documents, editing them with red pen, and scanning them and emailing them back to the originator.

I was tempted to check for breathing and a pulse -- just to make sure the user was medically okay.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

evobatman posted:

Three words that should never the loving gently caress ever be in the same week, let alone the same sentence! Why would you do something like that to yourself??

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view) I only live 5 minutes from my mom's house, and the printer is the exact same model that I have in my apartment and I like it a lot. Short of someone going in and doing a factory reset the printer will be fine, and I can get the printer back up and running in 60 seconds if someone does reset it. I've already made the death threats to my niece and youngest nephew that if they touch the printer then no more Toys R Us gift certificates. The mere thought of that sent them into uncontrollable sobs the one time my mom spied them trying to get some paper out of the tray. They haven't been anywhere near it since.

Next up, a small form-factor desktop for under $500. I'm thinking a Dell, because if I build it the drat thing will run over $900 because I have an addiction to adding some extras.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view) I only live 5 minutes from my mom's house, and the printer is the exact same model that I have in my apartment and I like it a lot. Short of someone going in and doing a factory reset the printer will be fine, and I can get the printer back up and running in 60 seconds if someone does reset it. I've already made the death threats to my niece and youngest nephew that if they touch the printer then no more Toys R Us gift certificates. The mere thought of that sent them into uncontrollable sobs the one time my mom spied them trying to get some paper out of the tray. They haven't been anywhere near it since.

Next up, a small form-factor desktop for under $500. I'm thinking a Dell, because if I build it the drat thing will run over $900 because I have an addiction to adding some extras.

I got my mom some small HP wireless laser jet, and I'll be damned if its not working perfectly after a few months. However, I have been living the dream of explaining how to use a smart phone to someone who needed to use written instructions to burn a cd for 10 years.

I kinda wish people didn't take my advice so well for things. I can't be up on everything and I don't want to give someone bad advice, but people still come up asking for the best laptop at a price range. Especially hard when its someone looking for something in the sub-400 dollar range, as everything there is usually bad. At least if they say something like 1500 bucks, I have options.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've already made the death threats to my niece and youngest nephew that if they touch the printer then no more Toys R Us gift certificates. The mere thought of that sent them into uncontrollable sobs the one time my mom spied them trying to get some paper out of the tray. They haven't been anywhere near it since.

You monster.

A (not) ticket came in. I am also not an actual computer janitor anymore.

My boss just got his first smart phone ever and I've been spending a week trying to decipher the asinine backend poo poo that AT&T slaps on their android phones. gently caress AT&T why can't they just use the goddamn standard apps.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phuzzy posted:

You monster.

A (not) ticket came in. I am also not an actual computer janitor anymore.

My boss just got his first smart phone ever and I've been spending a week trying to decipher the asinine backend poo poo that AT&T slaps on their android phones. gently caress AT&T why can't they just use the goddamn standard apps.

My experience with Lollipop AT&T phones is summarized by the following:
1) Unbox
2) Power on and charge
3) Uninstall everything
4) MDM & deploy to user

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in, computer is full of crap toolbars, needs cleaning.

I see a particular browser add-on in Programs and Features. Uninstall. Yes... Wait a minute...

Almost got me there.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Doctor Bombadil posted:

I see a particular browser add-on in Programs and Features. Uninstall. Yes... Wait a minute...

Almost got me there.

I would have just reimaged the machine and removed any rights to click "yes" on anything ever on it...

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Rumor has it I've really offended our dude that babysits contractors all day. :(

My email posted:

"I was investigating room x at %school% yesterday, and there isn't a single live ethernet drop in the room.

The only actual ethernet drop in the entire room is at the teacher station, which cannot be patched in because it looks like most of the cables going to the patch panel were severed. I could find literally no ethernet drops anywhere else in the room. Shouldn't there at least be a couple somewhere? It looks to me like a contractor came in with a tornado of stupidity and not caring, and wrought some impressive destruction."

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

A ticket came in, about some teaching software. Software that was requested in early September, proved a complete bastard to package for SCCM deployment, and finally went to the user for testing in late November. Whereupon he did nothing until the first session, last Friday.

:saddowns: "This software I need for teaching isn't working, why do you never give me working software?"
:what: "Last week you said it was working."
:saddowns: "No I didn't, it's never worked."
:what: "I was there. I watched you use it. So did the head of my department."
:saddowns: "It doesn't work now."
:what: "Right. And you know this because..?"
:saddowns: <sends a few thousand lines of log files, with an error message buried about 80% of the way in>
:what: "You told your students to put the files it needs in a different directory. c:\atd, rather than c:\adt"
:saddowns: "So?"
:what: "Your students don't have write access there."
:saddowns: "Yes they do."
:what: Seriously? You're going to argue like a loving two-year-old? "They do not. They have never had write access there. They never will have write access there as they already have full access to the actual directory used by the software."
:saddowns: "Stop having a go at me and fix it!"
:what: "Tell your students to put the files in the right directory."
:saddowns: "But that's where my course notes tell them to put the files!"
:flame: <CCd to my boss and the director of teaching> "I am not re-writing a package installer, submitting it, going back through approvals, licensing, and so on because your course notes have a typo. Central won't allow an update, it's got to be an entire new package, so the red tape of SCCM deployment would lead to a three-week lead time during which the software will be entirely unavailable."

Some people I wouldn't choose to deal with for all the booze in Hemingway.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Update on shittymanagementghazi: They got us a truck! ... At the last minute, so we had to move everything over the last day and a half and it was starting to snow by the end, but still. That resulted in this:

I'm still shocked that we managed to get all that poo poo in there.

GWBBQ posted:

I actually had a screw fall out of my laptop the other day, fortunately on my bed so I could find it easily.

Are you a witch? :psyduck:

e:

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Almost got me there.

And this is why i love adwcleaner. Sure it force-closes everything when you start it and restarts your computer immediately when you finish the scan but it nukes all that poo poo from orbit.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 22, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Back on track: We have users occasionally request Adobe Acrobat Pro for [insert whatever reason here]. We're not strapped on cash, so if it's halfway reasonable, we buy a license.

I love our helpdesk application; we have a written record of everything.

About a year ago: User requests Adobe Pro because s/he saw others had Adobe Pro and wants to go paperless like them. Cool, that's great! You'll save us paper. Here you go.

Recently: User prints out a 68 page document in front of me so s/he can review it before scanning it and emailing it back to the author to apply revisions. I was up there to show him/her how to make an exception to our duplex-printing driver default for a job that needs to be one-sided. We've been on a push for duplex printing as management is finally on board with the notion that, yes, two-sided documents are enforceable in court.

User tries to explain to me that s/he absolutely needs this transient draft to be single sided. No, no no you don't get it do you have a law degree I have a law degree we'll be laughing stock if we are audited and we have duplex paper.

It becomes evident after a moment that user does not use Adobe Acrobat Pro -- it has not been used since installation. User has not been using it to make edits on draft documents as originally requested. S/he has instead been printing 50-300-page documents, editing them with red pen, and scanning them and emailing them back to the originator.

I was tempted to check for breathing and a pulse -- just to make sure the user was medically okay.

You haven't been working for lawyers for very long, have you?

The firm I used to work at is now inexplicably sending automatic email replies back to every incoming email no matter what confirming receipt of the email, even if nobody has read them yet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nerdrock posted:

Rumor has it I've really offended our dude that babysits contractors all day. :(

You have my admiration for using the phrase 'tornado of stupidity'

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I3 NUC with a small SSD.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

President Ark posted:

Update on shittymanagementghazi: They got us a truck! ... At the last minute, so we had to move everything over the last day and a half and it was starting to snow by the end, but still. That resulted in this:

I'm phoneposting so forgive me if it's obvious, but it that the back of a truck or a storage unit?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

President Ark posted:

I'm still shocked that we managed to get all that poo poo in there.
That looks like nothing is held down.
When they open that truck everything will just be a foot deep square of debris and wreckage.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

jim truds posted:

That looks like nothing is held down.
When they open that truck everything will just be a foot deep square of debris and wreckage.

If they wanted poo poo packed correctly with insurance they should have hired someone to do it, not the IT department.

The fact that it's loaded into a truck is a miracle as far as I'm concerned.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm pretty sure that's a storage unit, or its the weirdest back of a truck I've ever seen.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Volmarias posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a storage unit, or its the weirdest back of a truck I've ever seen.

This. also the part in the post where it says that this is "the result" of a day and a half of moving implies that we're looking at the finished job.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

m.hache posted:

If they wanted poo poo packed correctly with insurance they should have hired someone to do it, not the IT department.

The fact that it's loaded into a truck is a miracle as far as I'm concerned.

"Just think, you probably paid us twice as much as a moving company with none of the reassurance!"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gothmog1065 posted:

"Just think, you probably paid us twice as much as a moving company with none of the reassurance!"

"Oh btw, I put my back out doing it. See you in 3 weeks. Paid leave of course"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

m.hache posted:

"Oh btw, I put my back out doing it. See you in 3 weeks. Paid leave of course"

*drives truck into a river because I have no experience driving heavy trucks*

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Ah jeez, the mail server got wet. Tragic

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Every printer is in pieces and also on fire. I have no idea how that happened. I'm not good with equipment moving or moving equipment.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Ah jeez, the mail server got wet. Tragic

*Jams mail server in a 500 lb bag of rice* ok now we need to let this sit for about 24 hours.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Galler posted:

Every printer is in pieces and also on fire. I have no idea how that happened. I'm not good with equipment moving or moving equipment.

Wait are we still talking about moving? Or did you try to install HP unified print support.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Time Warner Cable really is one of the worst ISPs in the country. Had a client about 30 minutes away that's been down for 2+ hours and didn't get a notification from anyone on site until a few minutes ago. I get an email from the TWC account rep asking if we can switch the location over to their backup ISP connection until a tech can come on site to check the equipment, basically we have them already setup with a backup router and modem and a couple wires need switched over. Called the location, walked one of the users through it, they're up in a couple minutes.

I emailed the TWC rep before walking through the connection change and get this lovely email:

TWC rep posted:

They have no internet so don’t try email ( I failed at that already today, feels like Monday!) but Thing 1 and Thing 2 are the POC at the location, number <xxx-xxx-xxxx>

No poo poo, Sherlock! :downsbravo:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Potato Salad posted:

I know exactly what the gently caress you're talking about. Parents and roommates.
"No but isn't it........"
"I think it's.........."
[stares into distance not really paying attention while you explain facts]
[insert statement based more on an emotional response to a product than facts]

That was pretty much my experience with the last seasonal "IT guy" we had.

For context, the program I administrate checks to make sure you're in the correct AD group before it will open or install. If you are in the right group you will (at a minimum) get basic level access, but if you aren't in the group (or it somehow can't validate what group you're in) you get a message telling you to request access.

So anyway the "IT guy" comes to me about a user who can't install the program onto his desktop at all. I explain to him how it works, and then check to make sure the user is in the right AD group. The user is in the right group, so I suspect there is something not right with his machine as the only other time I've seen this happen was when there was in issue with stored credentials.

I advise the "IT guy" that there is no reason on my end why the user can't install the program, and that he should have him attempt to install it on another machine to try and figure out if the problem is isolated to just his desktop or if there is something else going at. At that point the "IT guy" starts to argue with me, stating that the users obviously must be blacklisted and that's the source of the problem (which is impossible, since we don't have a way TO blacklist you like that).

At that point I give up and let the "IT guy" go and do his thing, because there isn't anything I can do to help on my end. About a week later he comes back to me about the issue again, and still insists that the guy is blacklisted. I explain to him again that the program just doesn't work like that, but he's insistent so I all I can do is shrug and tell him there's nothing I can do on my end.

Two weeks later the user has another problem with something unrelated, and the "IT guy" has to reimage his desktop. Amazingly, after he did that the user could install the program, despite the fact that I didn't change anything for the user on my end.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You are so brave to tread these thread developer-san.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

It's a storage unit. I'm not sure how many trucks are made with concrete flooring, but I can't imagine they're that popular.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
* Not climate controlled

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

incoherent posted:

You are so brave to tread these thread developer-san.

I'm not actually a developer; my job is to sit between the users and the actual programmer so he can get work done without being hounded by the user base. I get to handle user training/setup, Q&A testing, vetting feature requests/bugs before sending them to the programmer, and basically being the help desk for all the day to day problems/questions users get.

I generally get along with our full-time IT staff, but the temporary ones we bring in for the summer can be really hit or miss. We don't have a lot of strict requirements for those jobs as they're basically doing grunt work (install programs, set up PCs, etc) so it's always a crapshoot as to how much actual IT knowledge they have. That in itself isn't bad; I can respect a guy who says "I don't know, but I'll find out" (that's how I figure things out too) but the last one had a really bad habit of both being 1) wrong and 2) certain that he was correct.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Bhodi posted:

* Not climate controlled

Not my problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm not actually a developer; my job is to sit between the users and the actual programmer so he can get work done without being hounded by the user base. I get to handle user training/setup, Q&A testing, vetting feature requests/bugs before sending them to the programmer, and basically being the help desk for all the day to day problems/questions users get.

I generally get along with our full-time IT staff, but the temporary ones we bring in for the summer can be really hit or miss. We don't have a lot of strict requirements for those jobs as they're basically doing grunt work (install programs, set up PCs, etc) so it's always a crapshoot as to how much actual IT knowledge they have. That in itself isn't bad; I can respect a guy who says "I don't know, but I'll find out" (that's how I figure things out too) but the last one had a really bad habit of both being 1) wrong and 2) certain that he was correct.

The art of managing HR / interviews for IT is still very much at cave-painting levels. It's hard as hell to separate certificates from actual capability.

• Locked thread