Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So capcom turned their REmake into a 17gig game, that's rather impressive considering the original was 2-3 gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

Bought the Remake, it's taking time getting used to non-tank controls. That and the anxiety over those goddamned Crimson Heads.

The Crimson Heads aren't so bad. Before I played REmake I was told about how scary they were but I rarely encountered them and the times I did, they weren't really much tougher than the average Hunter enemy. They're only really a problem if you gun down every zombie you see in the early game in areas you'll have to backtrack through.

It was Lisa Trevor that got me nervous whenever she appeared.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Let's be real, P.T. was one of the most talked about things in 2014 and it was the video game equivalent of a community center haunted house. You don't need poo poo to create tension except good atmosphere and a hint of danger. I'll take that over any of the Silent Hill games made in the past decade.

Trick Question posted:

TBH I find any horror game where you can't even try to fight the enemies boring as hell. Sure, it might not be the best option, but having it as an option keeps the player making decisions and adds dimensionality to the gameplay - what enemies can you safely fight? Should I run through this area and maybe miss some items, or clean it out? You can say the combat in Silent Hill or early Resident Evil wasn't good, but those games would be so, so much worse without the ability to fight at all.

I wish I could quote specific examples but there have been developer interviews and articles discussing how combat in a video game is always viewed as a first resort by the player. If you give a player a weapon they will immediately think they're capable of defeating enemies. If you establish they can't they will be frustrated at the "broken" system you've introduced to them. I remember inventory management being one of the biggest strikes against the original Resident Evil and while the series has become associated with resource management the RE games give you more ammo and opportunities to fight as it continued.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

You guys do realize that enemies might mean something that you can't really fight against as well right, stuff like the crazy people in Outlast, mannequins from Five Nights at Freddie's and so on. While it is possible to make a horror game without any actual threats, at least I would just stop caring as soon as I realized that the game doesn't have anything that actually threatens you.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Silent Hill (the original trilogy) made the enemies disturbing just by the nature of their existence. Even though you could dispatch them fairly easily the sounds they made and the way they moved were so eerie that it didn't particularly matter.

I haven't played it but isn't that the case with this Alchemilia game? The trailer clearly shoes gross poo poo happening and Silent Hill monsters on the periphery, they're just not obstacles. Red Pyramid Head behind the apartment gate and the invisible guy in the prison are two of the scariest moments I remember in Silent Hill 2 because you can't touch them. SH2 was overall tense but ultimately my 2x4 was enough to dispatch 90% of the threats so who cares if the nurses move eerily? They go down like everything else.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Mindblast posted:

So capcom turned their REmake into a 17gig game, that's rather impressive considering the original was 2-3 gigs.

high resolution textures are very expensive. Exponentially so.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I would just stop caring as soon as I realized that the game doesn't have anything that actually threatens you.

This is word for word what ruined the Dead Space games for me pretty much. I can't even say this as a brag because it didn't feel that hard: I beat Dead Space on the hardest difficulty with only the basic hand cutter, because all you need to do is backpedal. Monsters lose a whole, whole lot of threat when you realize you can backpedal away from them and blow their legs off, then leisurely stride up to them and kick their face into 100 pieces. It's kind of funny sure, but it's not scary especially when you start doing it so often.

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004
I bought the new REmake and the game is super easy without tank controls, it feels like an action game. I've only fought a couple zombies but I was running circles around them with the knife.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Paiz posted:

I bought the new REmake and the game is super easy without tank controls, it feels like an action game. I've only fought a couple zombies but I was running circles around them with the knife.

I should give this a try, I was never very good with the knife before.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Paiz posted:

I wish this were me. I've restarted like 5 times and every time the stupid first zombie gets me down to "dangerous" health. I used to be good at this poo poo :sigh:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I did another playthrough on the Gamecube a year ago and I felt like after you get out of the mansion into the courtyard and guest house the amount of health and ammo was so large that the game wasnt even a challenge anymore and by the time you get to the lab you're such a walking arsenal ithe difficulty is a joke. Granted the playstation version was the same way towards the end but not nearly as bad.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 21, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

Combat is the worst feature of any horror game.

I can't think of a single one where the combat is more than okay at best.

Condemned :getin:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Condemned 2: hobo murderin' boogaloo is a fond memory, even though the story jumps the shark

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
The Shattered Memories enemies got to me probably because they don't kill you. They just kind of... dogpile you, and you lose.

Silent Hill 2's were cool because killing some of them was pointless despite them being weird freaky stuff like the straightjackets at the beginning

I love the guys who split apart in Dead Space because you see this weird tall dude and shoot it and suddenly you have like five targets, and it has one of the most hosed up death sequences in a game I can think of

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doctor Goat posted:

The Shattered Memories enemies got to me probably because they don't kill you. They just kind of... dogpile you, and you lose.

Silent Hill 2's were cool because killing some of them was pointless despite them being weird freaky stuff like the straightjackets at the beginning

I love the guys who split apart in Dead Space because you see this weird tall dude and shoot it and suddenly you have like five targets, and it has one of the most hosed up death sequences in a game I can think of

The enemies in the early silent hill games were great because they were infinitely respawning, so you could kill them to temporarily clear out an area and make your life easier, but ammo is finite and hitting some enemies with melee weapons is really difficult, so you were often better off just avoiding them. The key thing was that the radio sound just made you WANT to kill them because the noise just made you so tense.

Yeah you could just turn the radio off but why would you ever want to do that? The bits in the game where the radio doesn't work are even worse.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 21, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think the early Silent Hills did combat pretty well. Like it wasn't good combat, but because the monsters were so prevalent and legit frightening to run into, you wanted to kill them whenever you got the chance (plus the radio as mentioned above), and doing so wasn't so hard it became annoying and it didn't take very long either. Like you don't need the best melee combat in the world as long as it isn't disruptive and it serves a purpose. And in a world as horrifying as Silent Hill, you needed those moments of levity and satisfaction from killing everything in a room.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Outside enemies respawn but inside they were finite and pretty easy to kill with a melee weapon. I think the most difficult to avoid enemy was the humping monkey things and that was because alternate silent hill had a confusing layout with narrow ledges. The lizards in the sewer were pretty annoying but only show up in that one area and just like Resident Evil the auto-aim tips you off to hidden monsters.

e: I legit think the downfall of the horror genre is that developers (and audience) have a preconceived idea of what they should be without evaluating how it adds tension. Just like all the clunky Resident Evil clones you have all these Slender walking games or on-rails carnival rides. Horror games lack focus probably more than any other genre. If an element doesn't contribute to the mood you're trying to set or pulls the player out of your world then scrap it.

For example Dark Corners of the Earth made you feel like a helpless stranger in a gross, hostile town. Then you get guns and you're mowing down waves of deep ones while the protagonist calmly thinks to himself "hmmm there's got to be a way out of here."

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 21, 2015

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

NotAnArtist posted:

Condemned 2: hobo murderin' boogaloo is a fond memory, even though the story jumps the shark

Condemned 1 or 2 also had rad as hell MP and it made me sad that it died off somewhat quickly as the MP in not-big games tend to do.

One side would be the cops and the other were psychos, the cops would obviously have better up-front weaponry but the psychos could blend into the shadows, plant traps and stuff like that. Plus a lot of the maps were just spooky as hell, the best one was the farmhouse from the end of the first game, with a little bit of the outside house opened up as well. Being a cop and climbing up into the dark rear end, creaky attic was :stonk: every time even with a buddy playing backup.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yardbomb posted:

Condemned 1 or 2 also had rad as hell MP and it made me sad that it died off somewhat quickly as the MP in not-big games tend to do.

One side would be the cops and the other were psychos, the cops would obviously have better up-front weaponry but the psychos could blend into the shadows, plant traps and stuff like that. Plus a lot of the maps were just spooky as hell, the best one was the farmhouse from the end of the first game, with a little bit of the outside house opened up as well. Being a cop and climbing up into the dark rear end, creaky attic was :stonk: every time even with a buddy playing backup.

The more I hear about Condemned 2 the more I wish it was on PC. I'm not even a multiplayer kind of guy and that sounds neat.

Edit: Even knowing the story goes absolutely nuts.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I liked that Condemned 2 went batshit, because, for a large part of the game, I was convinced my character was too. Only thing I didn't like was at the end, when it turned into Dragonball Z and I screamed at a man until he fell off a hobo tower.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

high resolution textures are very expensive. Exponentially so.

And ported to the MT Framework engine. :drat: that's pretty impressive and just made it more likely for me to want it since that suggests it will be technically sound. I vaguely recall REmake having an unorthodox difficulty select. Was 'I like rock climbing" the normal or hard setting I can't recall.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mindblast posted:

And ported to the MT Framework engine. :drat: that's pretty impressive and just made it more likely for me to want it since that suggests it will be technically sound. I vaguely recall REmake having an unorthodox difficulty select. Was 'I like rock climbing" the normal or hard setting I can't recall.

Hiking was easy, Mountain Climbing was hard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What do we know about Silent Hills? I got a PS4 recently but most of the information I can find is about PT.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Len posted:

What do we know about Silent Hills? I got a PS4 recently but most of the information I can find is about PT.

Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro are working on it and it's probably gonna be weird.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Also Daryl from The Walking Dead will be in it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aww I was hoping there was more somewhere ):

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

Aww I was hoping there was more somewhere ):

It's still over a year off. We'll probably see gameplay at E3 or Gamescom.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Len posted:

What do we know about Silent Hills?

That it's gonna be spooky as gently caress if they make the real thing anything like more of PT. :v:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I liked that Condemned 2 went batshit, because, for a large part of the game, I was convinced my character was too. Only thing I didn't like was at the end, when it turned into Dragonball Z and I screamed at a man until he fell off a hobo tower.

Condemned 1 is a tighter game, but I like how balls-out 2 went in pretty much every direction. There were a lot of things that didn't work but then there are things like the loving bear segment. It's awesome.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The detective segments in Condemned 2 are really goddamn good too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Also Daryl from The Walking Dead will be in it.

I hope Silent Hills is first person like PT was so I never have to actually look at that dude's face or be reminded of The Walking Dead. I don't want to throw up while I'm playing the game.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

I don't want to throw up while I'm playing the game.

The walking dead isn't actually real

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

unpacked robinhood posted:

The walking dead isn't actually real

It is real

ly bad

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

A team like Del Toro and Kojima inspires such hope that I want to believe in it. It's been too long since I've played as good a Silent Hill as the second title was. The series got progressively more lackluster, though I enjoyed Downpour despite the dodgy combat and annoying chase sequences.

With any luck Kojima won't allow for forty-five minute cutscenes

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
All I want is for Silent Hills to follow the trend started by Shat Mems and Downpour and prominently feature a severe drought. The severe weather/states of water trilogy needs a satisfying closing, god dammit. :argh:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
It's gonna suck when Silent Hills is third-person with lovely combat after how amazing PT was.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

Hiking was easy, Mountain Climbing was hard.

In that case I'm confused, what's normal then?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mindblast posted:

In that case I'm confused, what's normal then?

Oh, Mountain Climbing is Normal, I just meant it was the harder of the two choices cause I forgot there was a real Hard mode :downs:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Oh, Mountain Climbing is Normal, I just meant it was the harder of the two choices cause I forgot there was a real Hard mode :downs:

I thought that the zombies were taking more damage than normal, hah.

Jmcrofts posted:

It's gonna suck when Silent Hills is third-person with lovely combat after how amazing PT was.

This is a pretty legit fear, given what we've had from previous titles.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Bought The Evil Within on the current weekend sale after liking the demo. I know the reception was mixed, but at the current price, even a mediocre horror romp would be worth the money.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jmcrofts posted:

Oh man how sick would it be if it actually was first person and a slowburn. I always wished From Software made a straight up horror game. They do such a great job of working horror elements into King's Field, Demon's Souls, Kuon, Otogi, etc. I'd kill to play a straight up first person horror game from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

These Loving Eyes posted:

Bought The Evil Within on the current weekend sale after liking the demo. I know the reception was mixed, but at the current price, even a mediocre horror romp would be worth the money.

TEW was a decent game. The story is pretty nonsensical unless you're paying very close attention and reading everything you come across, but the combat is pretty good. The environments are also quite a lot of fun to explore.