Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sober posted:

Diggle drawing a second gun on Malcolm made me think of that scene in Django Unchained. "Two guns, motherfucker."

Probably my favorite (badass) moment in the episode.
They are still (or even more so than before) doing great work with the action sequences, too.

CeeJee posted:

Conveniently in corpse dragging distance of Katana's House Of Raising The Dead.
I enjoyed this, even though like the others already said, Katana was brought there in anticipation of Oliver's failure/death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

AbstractNapper posted:

Probably my favorite (badass) moment in the episode.
They are still (or even more so than before) doing great work with the action sequences, too.

I enjoyed this, even though like the others already said, Katana was brought there in anticipation of Oliver's failure/death.

I missed that bit.

Action scenes were top notch, even if there have been at least 10 'heroes fight gun wielding thugs in warehouse' scenes this one was really great, Roy running through that pipe being riddled with bullets, kicking the guy coming out and running back looked fantastic. He should have made a flip though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CeeJee posted:

Conveniently in corpse dragging distance of Katana's House Of Raising The Dead.

Her shack was hit by the central city explosion and is now a meta-shack that can revive people.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

CeeJee posted:

I missed that bit.

Action scenes were top notch, even if there have been at least 10 'heroes fight gun wielding thugs in warehouse' scenes this one was really great, Roy running through that pipe being riddled with bullets, kicking the guy coming out and running back looked fantastic. He should have made a flip though.

Roy should never not be flipping.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Who was Bullet Tooth Tony's character this episode? Why is he bulletproof but not arrowproof?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The Lazarus Pit wouldn't have made a great deal of sense in resurrecting Oliver. We have just seen that Ra's is the ultimate badass killing machine, so why would we think that the key to his long life/immortality is left with so little security that Maseo can sneak a dead body in there? Or that Ra's would stage their duels to the death right around the corner from a tool to bring someone back to life?

Resurrecting Oliver was never a major enough plot point to require the use of a Lazarus Pit to begin with. Everyone knew Oliver was coming back. The Pits will be probably be used to save someone whose permanent death would be more believable.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Danny "Brick" Brickwell

He's meta in the comics. According to wikipedia, he was in Oliver's book in the first season.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 22, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Rhyno posted:

The Spectre rebuilt Ollie's physical body out of a few atoms he picked off of Superman's cape. This was after being atomized in an exploding plane.

Falling off a cliff is loving nursery school bullshit to Oliver Queen.

Which episode of the TV series was that?

I can't say that I'm a big fan of the Lazarus Pit idea, but even that would be better than "I smeared some herbs onto your impaled, bled-out, bone-shattered body and you came back to life. Ancient Japanese Secret!" If it really is "herbs", that would be especially troubling, because herbs seem a lot easier to get a hold of than a magic pit in the enemy stronghold - that would reduce the stakes and drama by making death easy to solve.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 22, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Welp, Maseo's not gonna make it past Season 3, I can guarantee you that. Life debt to Oliver for helping track down Tatsu, helping bring Oliver back to life? That's a good way to get offed by the big bad. On top of that, Oliver needs motivation to keep fighting Ra's, and Tatsu needs a reason to take up the Katana mantle.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Whizbang posted:

The Greater Vancouver Lazarus Pit.

This just in...pictures of The Glades

http://www.virtualtourist.com/trave...tside-BR-1.html

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Scyantific posted:

Welp, Maseo's not gonna make it past Season 3, I can guarantee you that. Life debt to Oliver for helping track down Tatsu, helping bring Oliver back to life? That's a good way to get offed by the big bad. On top of that, Oliver needs motivation to keep fighting Ra's, and Tatsu needs a reason to take up the Katana mantle.

(Comics chat) Doesnt her soul-drinking sword or whatever contain her dead husband's soul in it in the funny books?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crunk Abortion posted:

(Comics chat) Doesnt her soul-drinking sword or whatever contain her dead husband's soul in it in the funny books?

Yeah, but I forget if it was used to kill him to put it in there by her or he just appeared in it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Good return to form. It was great to see a bigger focus on the rest of the team, especially Roy, who's always in the background. I'm really glad to see they're finding better ways to make him have an "acrobatic" fighting style in a way that actually kinda looks cool.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Instead of herbs or some poo poo they should just say something ambiguous like "this is a... special place" so all the fans can still pretend it's a Lazarus Pit.

Or would that be too :lost:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love this show but I really hope there's something more to the resurrection than "ANCIENT JAPANESE SECRET". I have a high tolerance for bullshit; for god's sake I'm a pro wrestling fan and love comic shows/movies. But come on. Just come ON.

The rest of it was all loving great though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe Ollie wasn't dipped in a Lazarus but Maseo or Katana had like a few drops of it in a vial, and combined it with Ollie's special island ganja

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ancient half Japanese, half Chinese secret.

I love that this is another case of things coming back around on Ollie exactly 5 years later. Waller and China White are like the only people so far to break the pattern I think.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 22, 2015

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I wasn't actually sure Vinnie Jones was "Meta" - his subordinate gives the kid the gun from the box and he gives Diggle the gun, so I was figuring it was a rigged weapon of some sort to fire impacting soft slugs until I checked the thread here. Of course, that'd kinda silly and pointless aside from maybe trying to pass yourself off as a power when you're not for some fear, so having an ability makes more sense, but it's funny how watching Arrow I still default to other explanations.

Also, yeah, Roy's kick off the dude and onto the pipe was excellent and some great choreography this episode. Good, good stuff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aphrodite posted:

Ancient half Japanese, half Chinese secret.

She just slapped him into a Y-17 trauma override harness

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Mortanis posted:

I wasn't actually sure Vinnie Jones was "Meta" - his subordinate gives the kid the gun from the box and he gives Diggle the gun, so I was figuring it was a rigged weapon of some sort to fire impacting soft slugs until I checked the thread here. Of course, that'd kinda silly and pointless aside from maybe trying to pass yourself off as a power when you're not for some fear, so having an ability makes more sense, but it's funny how watching Arrow I still default to other explanations.

Also, yeah, Roy's kick off the dude and onto the pipe was excellent and some great choreography this episode. Good, good stuff.

I'm still very unclear.
Did Vinnie Jones actually get shot both times? Did the bullet just graze him both times? I don't think Diggle is THAT bad of a shot at like 10 feet. Are we supposed to think he has super strong (Brick-like) skin? I'm lost.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
When Felicity was telling Ray that dead people stay dead, no, seriously nothing to do about it! I was hoping they were about to cut to dumping Ollie into a pit.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Who was Bullet Tooth Tony's character this episode? Why is he bulletproof but not arrowproof?
Bulletproof vests are also bulletproof but not arrowproof (or knife proof, as one poor cop found out the hard way).

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Giant enemy crabs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oracle posted:

Bulletproof vests are also bulletproof but not arrowproof (or knife proof, as one poor cop found out the hard way).

Kevlar actually isn't really capable of stopping knives or arrows.

Edit: Haha, I missed that you were explaining this and not pointing it out as a flaw.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 22, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mortanis posted:

I assumed rigged gun, actually. He only says he killed his first man with it, not that he shot the guy. I half-expect him to point that out, only for Dig or Oliver or Laurel to pistol-whip him with it when they beat him.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sober posted:

Diggle drawing a second gun on Malcolm made me think of that scene in Django Unchained. "Two guns, motherfucker."

I laughed when that happened too, and then Malcolm threw his hands up like "okay, two guns make me scared".

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rurea posted:

I'm still very unclear.
Did Vinnie Jones actually get shot both times? Did the bullet just graze him both times? I don't think Diggle is THAT bad of a shot at like 10 feet. Are we supposed to think he has super strong (Brick-like) skin? I'm lost.

I figured it was blanks

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I guess Brick could be a meta, but it depends on if they want to have other metas before the particle accelerator explosion or not, because I get the impression that Brick has been a major player long before then? The first time he got shot I figured he was just grazed, but to me at least it looked like Diggle straight-up shot him in the head the second time.

Even though I knew it wasn't going to happen, I sort of wish that Oliver wouldn't have shown back up on screen until the season end, just to give everyone else more time to do the "pressing on without Ollie" thing.

I really want to be bugged by how Oliver's body survived that fall intact, but comic books. I just hope his resurrection is more interesting than magic herbs though. :shrug:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sbaldrick posted:

I figured it was blanks

It cant be blanks because Diggle shot him point blank in the head and there was a graze mark where the bullet deflected. Unless Diggle Crow'd him.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Probably will have something to do with the whole Alpha/Omega thing, wouldn't you think?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

It cant be blanks because Diggle shot him point blank in the head and there was a graze mark where the bullet deflected. Unless Diggle Crow'd him.

I thought the bullet was w/out gunpowder or rigged like a baby paint squib.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Klungar posted:

Probably will have something to do with the whole Alpha/Omega thing, wouldn't you think?

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me.

The flashbacks are always relevant to the current moment.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dead Snoopy posted:

I thought the bullet was w/out gunpowder or rigged like a baby paint squib.

Is his character represented in the comics? Seems strange we haven't had his abilities and backstory explained in detail yet. I think at this point it could either be wordplay and he beat a guy to death with the gun, or he is bulletproof.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's a big generic super strength guy who has red stony skin, hence the Brick name.

And also because his last name has Brick in it.

He was killed by Cupid, but he got better.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

muscles like this? posted:

Brick as a comic character does have powers. I do agree that he isn't quite as big as he used to be.

I think part of that might be a side effect of chemotherapy to treat his skin cancer.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Is his character represented in the comics? Seems strange we haven't had his abilities and backstory explained in detail yet. I think at this point it could either be wordplay and he beat a guy to death with the gun, or he is bulletproof.

He's bulletproof in the comics, though I don't think they've ever gone into why.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
But he's a different character altogether from Steve Mandragora? They seem almost identical.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His name is Brick because he's terrible at free throws.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

mcswizzle posted:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/22/supergirl-melissa-benoist/

The mildly annoying (but possibly written that way) girl from that singing show my wife watches is going to be Supergirl, so sayeth the internet
xpost from the flash thread. I figure they're pretty much interchangeable at this point though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Making it a crime procedural pisses me off but I shouldn't be surprised. There are good shows that do "procedural but with a larger serial story" that I've really liked though so I won't discount it immediately even though I really want to since it's on CBS.

• Locked thread