Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Midnight Sun posted:

Kindergarten is like a magical fairy place for toddlers. Anna (will be 2 this Sunday), hasn't been napping at home since November. She just started kindergarten after new year's, and she naps like a champion every day when she's there. I love those ladies, it's so great picking up a happy and content kid every afternoon instead of dealing with the nagging whinetroll she used to be when she was at home with us all day.

Hah, it's good to hear I'm not the only one. I sometimes think she's so unruly at home because she's bored. There's a lot of stuff going on at daycare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is anyone else's kid batshit obsessed with Parmesean cheese or, as Sydney calls it, 'cheese powder'?

I don't remember liking Parmesean until I was maybe 20, but Sydney wants it on everything including oatmeal (this is where I draw the line). Yesterday I gave her a couple of strawberries after dinner and was disgusted to see her rolling them around in cheese powder from her plate, and happily eating it. I fear what I'm going to find in her diapers today.

My daughter goes nuts with the shaved Parmesan cheese container. Stuff smells like rear end to me, but it was the first cheese she really took to. My son started with very sharp cheddar cheese. Kids have weird taste buds.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Liam dips apple slices, grapes, carrots...in BBQ sauce. :barf:

Kids are...kids.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlistairCookie posted:

Liam dips apple slices, grapes, carrots...in BBQ sauce. :barf:

Kids are...kids.

Yup. I just try not to give a poo poo, as long as there is some protein and some decent veggies/fruits then I guess I can't complain. Alex is right on avg for weight and 86% for height unlike his little hobbit brother so it isn't like he's going all Jabba on the ranch dressing for dipping sauce. That plus I think we're mostly past the big dinner fights, he realized that we were serious about saving his dinner and if he was hungry he had to eat it. Now he pretty much just eats it and then asks for fruit, snacks etc. which is a change of pace from crying and pouting at every meal.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I distinctly remember eating spinach/Brussels sprouts doused in ketchup as a child.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

topenga posted:

Savory oatmeal is really quite nice. Would it really hurt to let her put it on oatmeal?

It probably wouldn't, and my not doing it is more a) my own repulsion and b) because there's usually cinnamon and/or raisins in there already. That's a great idea though - I've heard of people doing savoury oatmeal and that's a really quick thing to make after work too, so maybe I'll try plain oatmeal with cheese powder and peas or something. I've never been able to enjoy hot oatmeal of any kind so this is somewhat new territory for me.

Should I be concerned about sodium and MSG though? I tend not to watch that kind of thing because Sydney's diet tends to be really healthy on its own (this child loves peas, brussels sprouts, and broccoli) but the amount she wants on there seems excessive to me. This, again, might be my own tastes coming through.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
Now stop me if I'm wrong, my only kid is 4 months old so I don't know much about this stuff, but should you really let your child just eat all the cheese they want? That seems kinda unhealthy or is it just me?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Werner-Boogle posted:

Now stop me if I'm wrong, my only kid is 4 months old so I don't know much about this stuff, but should you really let your child just eat all the cheese they want? That seems kinda unhealthy or is it just me?

Salt is the only thing in there that you really need to worry about, unless your kid is lactose intolerant. Even salt you only need to limit until they're 2 I think.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Wait until you have a toddler that will only eat x. You'll be so happy they are eating at all.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Papercut posted:

Salt is the only thing in there that you really need to worry about, unless your kid is lactose intolerant. Even salt you only need to limit until they're 2 I think.

yeah, in a perfect world kids would have balanced meals. But some kids are more adventurous than others. Certainly encourage kiddo to eat other things, but at 4 months, you can't really reason or barter with them, so the most important thing is that they eat. My almost 2 year old refuses to eat veggies. So for now, we go with fruits...when she's old enough to understand "you have to eat this or we won't have a story tonight" we can work on changing this...

Though I would certainly talk to your pediatrician about a 4 month old having solids at all. Some kids are ready for them, but the general advice is no solids before 6 months. However, all kids are different.

Edit: unless I read your question wrong, and we're talking about a kid other than your kid. In which case, totally depends on the age of the child. A pre-reasoning toddler? Just get them to eat something that isn't total crap.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

It probably wouldn't, and my not doing it is more a) my own repulsion and b) because there's usually cinnamon and/or raisins in there already.

:barf:

Okay. Totally get it. But part of me would just go "oh I dare you to eat it now."

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I would like to remind everyone that even though we may disagree on specific things (CIO, for example), none of us are so far down the rabbit hole as to believe giving your kid bleach tablets is going to cure autism. I hope.

Why do these people exist? :negative: This is literal :toxx:

http://theworstthingsforsale.com/2015/01/20/healing-autism-by-bleaching-your-children/

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Werner-Boogle posted:

Kids need a lot of fat and calcium, so cheese isn't the worst food they could eat, but yeah, an all-cheese diet isn't good for anyone. But if cheese is what makes veggies go down, then pour it on! In my (limited, I've only got a 1,5 year old) experience, kids get food kicks just like adults (we're in the middle of apple-palooza, last week was All About Yoghurt). Luckily these phases tend to pass, to be replaced by a new favourite food. If your toddlers primary source of nourishment for a week or two is cheese, then no biggie. I've found that in general it helps to try to look at the greater picture - I used to fret if she ate too little, now I've noticed that she has days where picks at all her food, and days where she eats like a horse. And it's the same with her diet - some days she could be a spokestoddler for clean and healthy living, some days she subsides on fruit and crackers. As long as it mostly averages out, I figure it's fine :)

Re oatmeal chat: My waste-not-want-not grandmother would fry leftover oatmeal porridge in a pan with streaky bacon. It was so good I stopped finishing my oatmeal on purpose.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I would like to remind everyone that even though we may disagree on specific things (CIO, for example), none of us are so far down the rabbit hole as to believe giving your kid bleach tablets is going to cure autism. I hope.

Why do these people exist? :negative: This is literal :toxx:

http://theworstthingsforsale.com/2015/01/20/healing-autism-by-bleaching-your-children/

Welcome to the wonderful world of having a kid with a disability! Autism is the current Big Name one, but stuff like this has been around forever. Big pharma keeping these secret cures down! This is just one of many deadly 'cures' out there. I know for sure some kid(s) died from chelation therapy, for instance.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

yeah, in a perfect world kids would have balanced meals. But some kids are more adventurous than others. Certainly encourage kiddo to eat other things, but at 4 months, you can't really reason or barter with them, so the most important thing is that they eat. My almost 2 year old refuses to eat veggies. So for now, we go with fruits...when she's old enough to understand "you have to eat this or we won't have a story tonight" we can work on changing this...

Though I would certainly talk to your pediatrician about a 4 month old having solids at all. Some kids are ready for them, but the general advice is no solids before 6 months. However, all kids are different.

Edit: unless I read your question wrong, and we're talking about a kid other than your kid. In which case, totally depends on the age of the child. A pre-reasoning toddler? Just get them to eat something that isn't total crap.

Oh yeah I was just speaking in general. My boy is happy as a clam on his formula only diet. Here in Denmark we have a specialized healthcare worker who is paid by the government who comes on home visits every so often (we also have her phone number to call with all our dumb questions, it's pretty ace) to measure the kid and talk about how he is doing and stuff, and she also told us that we should wait until 6 months-ish.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Werner-Boogle posted:

Here in Denmark

:norway: :hf: :denmark:

There is talk about updating the official guidelines here to "allow" tiny samples of food from 4 months old, not as a replacement for milk/formula, but to get them used to different flavours and textures. We asked and got the go-ahead to let our daughter taste things from 4 months of age - we're big foodies and love making stuff ourselves, and her first taste of something that wasn't breast milk, was a couple of drops of fresh apple juice from apples from her grandfathers garden, pressed by hand by her father :3: This fall, one year later, she was big enough to "help" with the apple picking and cider making and juice pressing, it was tons of fun!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Werner-Boogle posted:

Oh yeah I was just speaking in general. My boy is happy as a clam on his formula only diet. Here in Denmark we have a specialized healthcare worker who is paid by the government who comes on home visits every so often (we also have her phone number to call with all our dumb questions, it's pretty ace) to measure the kid and talk about how he is doing and stuff, and she also told us that we should wait until 6 months-ish.

FORMULA????? OMG YOU ARE HITLER!!!!

just kidding. And the visiting healthcare worker sounds awesome.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

Sockmuppet posted:

:norway: :hf: :denmark:

There is talk about updating the official guidelines here to "allow" tiny samples of food from 4 months old, not as a replacement for milk/formula, but to get them used to different flavours and textures. We asked and got the go-ahead to let our daughter taste things from 4 months of age - we're big foodies and love making stuff ourselves, and her first taste of something that wasn't breast milk, was a couple of drops of fresh apple juice from apples from her grandfathers garden, pressed by hand by her father :3: This fall, one year later, she was big enough to "help" with the apple picking and cider making and juice pressing, it was tons of fun!

What an adorable story! I can't wait until we can actually do stuff together. I think that's a very "dad" way of thinking, but I am just so anxious for my boy to really understand what I'm saying so I can teach him stuff and we can do proper activities together.

On a side note, he rolled from his belly to his back today for the first time! What a champ!

Edit:

ActusRhesus posted:

FORMULA????? OMG YOU ARE HITLER!!!!

just kidding. And the visiting healthcare worker sounds awesome.
Actually we have encountered this opinion from people we barely know. Only they weren't being facetious. My honest belief is, that switching to formula made us better parents. My wife was miserable breastfeeding. It hurt like poo poo and the kid screamed bloody murder and it took forever for him to latch and get a proper meal. We switched to formula after 3 weeks and we are all just much happier with it. Mealtime is a joy now, and I love that I can help out and feed him sometimes. It's the best decision we ever made.

Werner-Boogle fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 22, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Werner-Boogle posted:

Actually we have encountered this opinion from people we barely know. Only they weren't being facetious. My honest belief is, that switching to formula made us better parents. My wife was miserable breastfeeding. It hurt like poo poo and the kid screamed bloody murder and it took forever for him to latch and get a proper meal. We switched to formula after 3 weeks and we are all just much happier with it. Mealtime is a joy now, and I love that I can help out and feed him sometimes. It's the best decision we ever made.

Oh I know. I was lucky and nursing was easy, but we supplemented with soy formula (which makes me double hitler and my kid will probably grow a third boob or something) because of my daughter's reflux issues, and we weaned at 6 months because...well...that was our preference. At the end of the day, I firmly believe that one of the most important things to raising a happy baby is the mental health of the parents. I'm not saying abandon your kid to chase your bliss...but if something is making you truly miserable, and there is a way to fix that that doesn't have your pediatrician going "oh for the love of god, no!" do it and be happy with your happy baby.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Werner-Boogle posted:

I can't wait until we can actually do stuff together.

For me the baby period was just something I had to slog through to get to the proper little kid-bit. Now we're discussing trucks and diggers and cars and cats and dogs and "LOOK, MAMMA, THERE, BUS! BUS, MAMMA, BUS!" And we can sing songs together, and when I ask what she wants for supper, she'll answer "brød! lepotei!" (leverpostei, which I suspect will be equally popular in your house ;) ), and, yeah. Babies are boring, toddlers are awesome! You have so much fun (and tantrums and ridiculous battles of will :v: ) ahead of you!

v v v Haha, I almost never translate it, because it sounds horrible, but it's a Scandinavian staple spread, especially popular with children.
It's liver pate :) Scandinavian kids also love eating caviar and mackerel in tomato sauce on their wholemeal bread for breakfast, lunch and supper.

(as well as cold cuts, cheese, jams and chocolate spread, we're not savages ;) )

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 22, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

what is leverpostei?

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

what is leverpostei?

Scandinavian delicacy. It's basically chopped lived that's then baked in the oven and then you spread it on bread. Preferably rugbrød which is a kind of sourdough bread I think? It's a staple of a danish household, and all my lunch boxes while I was in school contained a slice of rugbrød with leverpostej.

Basically those two things (also universal healthcare) are what's keeping me in Denmark instead of moving to America.

Edit: I say delicacy, but it's really cheap. 500grams of leverpostej is like $4 or something. Amazing. You should get some if you can

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Werner-Boogle posted:

Basically those two things (also universal healthcare) are what's keeping me in Denmark instead of moving to America.

Edit: I say delicacy, but it's really cheap. 500grams of leverpostej is like $4 or something. Amazing. You should get some if you can

I am not into organ meat. I wonder if they sell it at IKEA? if so, your argument about emigration is no longer valid. welcome to the US.

(but the bread sounds pretty dope)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Werner-Boogle posted:

Scandinavian delicacy. It's basically chopped lived that's then baked in the oven and then you spread it on bread. Preferably rugbrød which is a kind of sourdough bread I think? It's a staple of a danish household, and all my lunch boxes while I was in school contained a slice of rugbrød with leverpostej.

That sounds delicious. I have no clue why Americans are so afraid of anything Pate like. I grab some from the farmers market every now and then here and people look at me like i'm crazy. (Never move to the US. No time off. No maternity paternity leave. No stipends for your kids schooling)

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Tigntink posted:

That sounds delicious. I have no clue why Americans are so afraid of anything Pate like.

To be fair...not just pate. Organs.

With the exception of Lengua. Lengua + cilantro + lime + tortilla = awesome.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

I am not into organ meat. I wonder if they sell it at IKEA? if so, your argument about emigration is no longer valid. welcome to the US.

(but the bread sounds pretty dope)

Does IKEA sell food? I mean I know they have a restaurant, but can you bring their crappy meatballs home with you?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Werner-Boogle posted:

Does IKEA sell food? I mean I know they have a restaurant, but can you bring their crappy meatballs home with you?

Sure can, everything from the meatballs, the gravy mix, and the lingoberry sauce. Actually everything they make at that restaurant can be purchased in the store, now that I think of it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Sure can, everything from the meatballs, the gravy mix, and the lingoberry sauce. Actually everything they make at that restaurant can be purchased in the store, now that I think of it.

also festive non-alcoholic beverages and delightful ginger cookies.

yeah they have a whole mini grocery section.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Liverwurst is awesome. My toddler likes it as well!

Like other people have said, he doesn't like green vegetables but he will eat pickles and olives.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

also festive non-alcoholic beverages and delightful ginger cookies.

yeah they have a whole mini grocery section.

That's crazy. But IKEA is Swedish, and I don't know if the Swedes eat leverpostej. Frankly I'm surprised that we have a Norwegian poster who eats it. I have family in Norway and I've never heard them mention it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Werner-Boogle posted:

That's crazy. But IKEA is Swedish, and I don't know if the Swedes eat leverpostej.

there was a slash through the o, so I just assumed it was something IKEA might have. Because...you know...American. One of the benefits/detriments of having very little that qualifies as a "national food" by international standards as it's mostly "poo poo we grabbed from other places"

Though I guess southern BBQ would count?

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 22, 2015

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

there was a slash through the o, so I just assumed it was something IKEA might have. Because...you know...American. One of the benefits/detriments of having very little that qualifies as a "national food" by international standards as it's mostly "poo poo we grabbed from other places"

Though I guess southern BBQ would count?

Americans have national foods! There's a Burger King 10 minutes away from me! And KFC, it has the word Kentucky right in it! I've had KFC exactly once in my life and it was delicious, but there's only 1 or 2 KFC in Denmark and they are both in Copenhagen so I'm out of luck! Guess I'll have to get heart disease from somewhere else.

EDIT: Anyway, the little dude is asleep so I'm gonna have some wine with my wife and then probably fall asleep on the couch. Peace out!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Werner-Boogle posted:

Americans have national foods! There's a Burger King 10 minutes away from me! And KFC, it has the word Kentucky right in it! I've had KFC exactly once in my life and it was delicious, but there's only 1 or 2 KFC in Denmark and they are both in Copenhagen so I'm out of luck! Guess I'll have to get heart disease from somewhere else.

EDIT: Anyway, the little dude is asleep so I'm gonna have some wine with my wife and then probably fall asleep on the couch. Peace out!

yeah, it's kind of depressing that of all the delicious food in the US (and yeah, I know I'm about to completely contradict myself) from southern BBQ, to New England clam chowder, to Tex Mex, to American pizza, to Soul Food...what we export is poo poo. When I lived in Japan it was all McDonalds and TGI Fridays. Why do you eat this? I kept asking. Why?

And KFC is crap when stacked up against friend chicken from a decent soul food joint. there's one across the street from my office. Fried Chicken Friday is why I can't lose weight. I regret nothing.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
For those of you in the US who want to try something close to leverpostej look for braunschweiger at your grocery store. It's a very similar German liver pate that I know for a fact is made here in the US by Oscar Meyer because we always had it in my fridge growing up. You might have to live in a region with a lot of German descendents to find it though- I know they have it in the Chicago area at least.

Also my kid totally went on (and technically I guess still is on) a cheese kick too, but her preference was for the most expensive cheeses. Forget cheddar or mozz, she just wants grana padano, pecorino romano, and gorgonzola. Thank god they sell reasonably priced pecorino at Costco.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Werner-Boogle posted:

That's crazy. But IKEA is Swedish, and I don't know if the Swedes eat leverpostej. Frankly I'm surprised that we have a Norwegian poster who eats it. I have family in Norway and I've never heard them mention it.

Swedes have it too, leverpastej, and the finns as well, maksapasteija.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

I am not into organ meat.

I was raised from a Jewish family so chopped liver was one of their staples. I found it disgusting and I mostly eat vegetarian but you can find vegetarian chopped liver recipes online if you want to see if you actually like the flavor. I find said recipes to be so accurate that I dislike it just like real chopped liver so YMMV.

edit: http://www.thefoodmaven.com/jewish/liver.html looks accurate.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 22, 2015

luna piena
Apr 7, 2006
i've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself
I have a quick question about walking.

My twins are about to turn 13 months in a few days and neither of them are walking yet. They're both crawling at full speed, they pull themselves up onto their feet with no problem and cruise along holding onto table tops, chairs, etc.

I know that all babies develop at their own rates and I'm not particularly worried about them being 'late', what I am wondering about though is my boy's reaction every time I try to encourage him to take a step away from whatever he's holding onto; crumpling down onto his knees, crying, screaming, and just general distress. I'm very gentle and patient when I do this and I don't push the issue when he clearly doesn't want to do it, but I'm just wondering how normal this is and if I should just drop it completely and let him figure it out alone.

So far he has been perfectly on time with his milestones (sitting up, crawling, etc) and this is the first time he's late. My girl has always been a bit late but catches up quickly. She doesn't get upset when I try to encourage her to take steps but she does also crumple down onto her knees and would rather just crawl.

I feel like I should just let them be, but I keep getting advice to try to coax them into taking those first steps. What do you guys think?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

To be fair...not just pate. Organs.

It's not just ground up liver in a tin, though, it tends to be half and half liver and "proper" meats - and it doesn't taste of liver at all, I should know, I don't like liver. It's an amazing source of iron for kids (and adults, I had mad cravings for it when I was pregnant. My body took it's job seriously, I only craved super healthy food :v: ). Proper dark wholemeal rye bread with leverpostei and bacon and slices of gherkin, oh my.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Re: walking- funny enough I just covered this in my developmental psych class the other day. If they're standing and cruising they're fine and right on track developmentally- they just need a little more time figuring out how to shift weight from one foot to the other without falling or hanging on to something, which if you've never done it before is kinda a big deal when you think about it. Personally I had the same experience with my oldest when she was about 12 mos., every time I tried to coax her to walk she'd either ignore me or get frustrated. She started walking on Easter day, when everyone was too busy with holiday stuff to fuss over her. No amount of coaxing is going to speed up the development of those neural connections, just give them time and you'll have two toddler terrors running around before you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

13 months is still well within the range of normal. Were they premature? If so, what's the adjusted age?

FYI, the range of normal for walking is 9 to 17 months. They have plenty of time. All the peds here start getting concerned at 18 months if kids aren't walking. One of my coworkers kids didn't walk until 17 months and she was freaking out from about 15 months onward. Ped said at 18 months they'd look into therapy if he wasn't walking and one day right around 17 months he started toddling around like he'd been doing it his whole life. :)

I know it is stressful when you are in the middle of it, but try not to stress and just enjoy where they are now.