Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon

Envy Insanity posted:

I bought this game against my better judgement and the many many warnings. In game as JackPraha. I pick berries.

edit: is there a server EU goons are playing on, or are we pingfighting on the US one?

EU servers are all low pop (came up today) but also have a 60 second to 2 minute delay when doing anything, which means if you decide to play there right now you have all the loot you want but then randomly 18 zombies will kill you (that are nowhere near you, just a screen of red slashes and dead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
So just like Planetside2 EU servers then.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Michaellaneous posted:

I think you have no idea how DHCP and the internet works.

When your router turns on, it requests an address and is given one out of a pool owned by the ISP? When your lease expires and you next request an IP, you get a different one from the pool? (Unless theres a reservation, but i seem to get a new ip every 2 months or so obviously there isnt)
Pretty sure thats exactly what happens, but ive only been working in networking for 7 years or so now so yeah i guess i have no idea

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 22, 2015

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I have had a good night last night (Even though no one could hear me on Mumble for some reason), I killed a couple of zombies who were loaded with loot (AR15, Shotguns, Military Backpacks, Cooked Rabbit, Car parts, Over 50 Blackberry Juice). Once I get my mumble issued fixed I will head to the goonbase for more fun.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Fell off a knee-high cliff, through the world and died. Lost a ton of stuff we got at last night's reddit raid.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Ahdinko posted:

When your router turns on, it requests an address and is given one out of a pool owned by the ISP? When your lease expires and you next request an IP, you get a different one from the pool? (Unless theres a reservation, but i seem to get a new ip every 2 months or so obviously there isnt)
Pretty sure thats exactly what happens, but ive only been working in networking for 7 years or so now so yeah i guess i have no idea

Waddup 'dinko!

Anti-cheat s/w like VAC and Punkbuster also scan your network adapters' MAC address, plus report back hardware IDs of devices installed on your system to identify you - even if you create new accounts and reboot your router.

However, most of these can be overridden by good hackers - but by the sounds of things SOE isn't even doing this.

:soe:

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Alright Jamsta, hows it going?

Yeah I heard on the rumour mill that they dont even seem to have any kind of anti cheat software at the moment, but hey its early access so hopefully it will come.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe I am considering buying this horrible game. I remember all the fun of early Rust days... but I also remember some of the misery.

And the fuckshacks.... oh the fuckshacks!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Had a good time at goon base yesterday. Highlight had to be when three goons got into a pickup, drove about 10 metres from base before hitting a random land mine and blowing up.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
According to Twitter, the first big ban wave for cheating is incoming today. I hope it is effective but :soe:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Prophecy120 posted:

According to Twitter, the first big ban wave for cheating is incoming today. I hope it is effective but :soe:

i look forward to the cheaters crying about being banned for "nothing" alongside the inevitable people that SOE actually end up banning for nothing

Orv
May 4, 2011
Everyone from both SA and Reddit are banned at once.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Orv posted:

Everyone from both SA and Reddit are banned at once.

freeeeedom!

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

The first week of this game was the most fun I've ever had playing games, ever. Mogoondishu, loving with pubbies, finding our first car, uniformed raids, tons of guns and ammo. The last two days, not so much. I've been killed by at least two hackers, had somebody follow me around invisible talking in a weird baby voice, I've dropped dead for no reason. We also moved our base all the gently caress way to nowhere, not near any water what so ever. Goon base is a former shell of itself; no water, bottles being stolen, no food ,ammo or guns. It''s turned into a running simulator just to get there, and now goons/hackers are placing mines all over our base so once you finally get there you get blown up sky high.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

The first week of this game was the most fun I've ever had playing games, ever. Mogoondishu, loving with pubbies, finding our first car, uniformed raids, tons of guns and ammo. The last two days, not so much. I've been killed by at least two hackers, had somebody follow me around invisible talking in a weird baby voice, I've dropped dead for no reason. We also moved our base all the gently caress way to nowhere, not near any water what so ever. Goon base is a former shell of itself; no water, bottles being stolen, no food ,ammo or guns. It''s turned into a running simulator just to get there, and now goons/hackers are placing mines all over our base so once you finally get there you get blown up sky high.

There is a well less than a minute away from the base. I don't know how people are having water issues.

We're no longer duping stacks of 100s of waters for everyone, you have to fill up a bottle and cook it the old fashioned way.

That seems like a problem several people are angry at the "Goon Collective" about judging by the sentiments expressed on Mumble. No one is duping endless guns, ammo, food, water and building supplies so everyone is standing around the base slowly starving and dehydrating while they wait for free poo poo that never appears.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

There is a well less than a minute away from the base. I don't know how people are having water issues.

We're no longer duping stacks of 100s of waters for everyone, you have to fill up a bottle and cook it the old fashioned way.

That seems like a problem several people are angry at the "Goon Collective" about judging by the sentiments expressed on Mumble. No one is duping endless guns, ammo, food, water and building supplies so everyone is standing around the base slowly starving and dehydrating while they wait for free poo poo that never appears.

gooooons :argh:

my suggestion to people griping at "goons"

go do fun poo poo in town and stop standing around the place we occasionally meet up

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

As far as I know, all you can do is drink dirty rear end water from the well, which kills you eventually. I don't think you can fill up bottles with it either.

I know most goons are useless, which is why I built my own shack on the ridge above Goontana and stored a bunch of guns/ammo/bottles Ive been collecting so I don't take away supplies from our Goontopia when I don't need too. Too bad metal doors are broken as gently caress and somebody keeps opening my doors and stealing everything I save while leaving landmines for me to play with. :argh:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
you can purify dirty water in a lit campfire. just pretend the days of duping are over seeing as queues discourage duping anyways. you now have to figure out food and water gathering on your own. the days of goon illuminati stashing away all the goodies are over.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Right-click and use bottles to fill them with water when near a water source such as a well. Then cook them in a fire/grill to purify them.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Can you pick up placed landmines in this game?

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
Just loving walk to Ranchero Tacotown and loot. You can get enough canned food to feed you forever, and bottles are everywhere. Not only that, but we have fucktons of rabbit traps, constant water purifying, and an easy to find well in our backyard.

Basically stop being bad at games you shits. The only thing ruining the game for me lately is the hackers and the fact that Ranch Dorito is not as populated as Pleasant Ville so finding pubbies to snipe is a lot harder.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Right-click and use bottles to fill them with water when near a water source such as a well. Then cook them in a fire/grill to purify them.

i do think its funny how much people were relying on all the duping because I still get by exactly like I was before

just imagine what those people would have done when hunger & thirsty went down crazy fast if they weren't using duped stuff

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haroshia posted:

Just loving walk to Ranchero Tacotown and loot. You can get enough canned food to feed you forever, and bottles are everywhere. Not only that, but we have fucktons of rabbit traps, constant water purifying, and an easy to find well in our backyard.

Basically stop being bad at games you shits. The only thing ruining the game for me lately is the hackers and the fact that Ranch Dorito is not as populated as Pleasant Ville so finding pubbies to snipe is a lot harder.

i think we should get a bunch of brave apache warriors to make bows and take a trek to pleasant valley, kill people, and not stop until we are all dead

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Haroshia posted:

I'm having extremely good luck pubbie hunting a little further south. The whole East side of the map is covered with spawn locations so several pubbies and groups of pubbies have set up all along there. The Villas Development, Bubba's and Lone Pine Development are all infested with them whenever I make the trip.

Cranberry also has at least one big group of 5+ living in it but I don't make it there as often so I can't say for sure where they are precisely.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah the area around bubba's is usually crawling with people to kill

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
Last night I was playing a tolerably well geared character on a PvE server. It's really a whole different world, as I've got ~30 cooked rabbit and 6 bottles and the ability to make fire so worrying about food/water is basically done.

The problem I've been having is that I haven't found *any* metal scrap, and I definitely haven't found a crowbar.

I had been hanging around Cranberry a bit but I've started wandering around more. Does anyone have any tips for places to find metal or crowbars? 99% of the loot i do find is water bottles and cans of food. I did find a machete and combat knife right next to each other shortly after the servers came up yesterday, but nothing else.

Edit: I'm playing PvE mainly to get familiar with game mechanics...

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible to build up walls and or reinforcements around the static houses and neighborhoods? Some of them have what I think is indestructible privacy or otherwise fencing around them which could make for only one way in/out areas that could be reinforced somehow.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tide posted:

Is it possible to build up walls and or reinforcements around the static houses and neighborhoods? Some of them have what I think is indestructible privacy or otherwise fencing around them which could make for only one way in/out areas that could be reinforced somehow.

yes you can, but those areas are typically very high traffic and will be noticed

they'll just chop down whatever door you use or glitch into it

still, I actually like the idea of finding a set of closely built houses outside of a town and building with it as part of the wall, would make shooting & defending a lot more interesting if they stop people from being able to clip through walls

forge
Feb 26, 2006

ICMB posted:

Last night I was playing a tolerably well geared character on a PvE server. It's really a whole different world, as I've got ~30 cooked rabbit and 6 bottles and the ability to make fire so worrying about food/water is basically done.

The problem I've been having is that I haven't found *any* metal scrap, and I definitely haven't found a crowbar.

I had been hanging around Cranberry a bit but I've started wandering around more. Does anyone have any tips for places to find metal or crowbars? 99% of the loot i do find is water bottles and cans of food. I did find a machete and combat knife right next to each other shortly after the servers came up yesterday, but nothing else.

Edit: I'm playing PvE mainly to get familiar with game mechanics...

I did manage to find one in the short time I got to play last night. Was in the supermarket in ranchiro or whatever the town is.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've come across some random houses or structures off the beaten path that is out of the way that may work. Would make running across the map to find pubbies to kill a bit more time consuming but on the plus side, it would (maybe) less likely to be found and more of a pain in the rear end for pubbies/redditors to go after. I plan on doing some scouting tonight and maybe look for some ideas.

Too bad each server doesn't have some sort of randomness to it...

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I found a crowbar on a shelf in an office building on the west side of PV.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Man, this game has a long way to go to be anything other than Rambo Arena 2015, but the zombies in it are great. As a rule, I and I'd imagine most people, don't give a flying gently caress about zombies at this point. 2/3rds of a decade of zombie game after zombie game has left most people inured to their bullshit. Oh that one has a knife, or is slightly faster, or wooo, headshot. But what zombies lack in threat or originality they make up for by being mother natures tracking system. No-one is threatened by zombies in this genre after just a couple hours in their first game of the type, so no-one thinks that they could be used to track them. Bunch of zombies humping a door? The hunt is on boys. And these zombies do it better than pretty much anything yet, because they cheat like hell. If someone enters a building and you see zombies streaming in the one open door, just wait a second by the closed one and you've got a free lunch.

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
i don't understand why anyone would play on a PvE server

Orv
May 4, 2011

Got Haggis? posted:

i don't understand why anyone would play on a PvE server

The same people as that guy who proudly shared his map where he'd played DayZ for 90 hours straight without ever interacting with another person.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Wasn't the plan to have maps that were like 10 times this big with some sort of procedural generation outside of the begin areas? Or am I confusing this with another Zombie Apocalypse Death Sim?

Orv
May 4, 2011
They're going to keep expanding the map, but I don't know how.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

They're going to keep expanding the map, but I don't know how.

according to Smedley, they'll patch it, when you walk to what was previously the edge of the map before

instead you can just keep going

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Ah, I found the part - it was Smedley talking bout map size - but he didn't say it would be procedural

John Smedley posted:

I've seen a bunch of people asking questions about the map size. Forgelight is built to handle arbitrarily sized worlds. Our plan is simple -- we're building the core of "anywhere USA". When we first open it up to users the map will be huge, but nowhere near as big as it's going to be in short order. Our map editing system allows us to quickly add massive areas. We want to make sure we clearly understand how the players are playing the game before we do that. On PlanetSide 2 we made a mistake by making multiple continents before we had a strong enough idea of what worked and what didn't. This game is different. We're doing it smarter.
When we open up the early access there will be a massive map for players to enjoy. Over time (very quickly) they'll magically just be able to keep going further than they've gone before. It's a very unique way of doing it, but we actually think this is a better way to go.
So not to worry. Zombie Apocalypse isn't going to be any fun if it's like Disneyland on Spring Break and super-crowded. We want remote... haunting... being scared when you see someone. Your first instinct needs to be to hide. If there are 20 players in your view it's not a very convincing Apocalypse.

It almost sounds like he doesn't want to announce the size change, which actually would be kinda fun.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah supposedly they have more areas that are going to be dropped in on the edges so the map just keeps going in each direction. Some stuff ingame sort of suggests this with roads going to the edge which dead end at walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Eonwe posted:

according to Smedley, they'll patch it, when you walk to what was previously the edge of the map before

instead you can just keep going

PS2 maps are what, 8km by 8km? They should be able to get to at least that size, probably larger if they want to.

e: Posted too late, didn't see the Smed tweet. I wonder how big they will end up going in the end?

• Locked thread