Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Is there a reason why Dwalin's beard in The Hobbit is blue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

mornhaven posted:

Is there a reason why Dwalin's beard in The Hobbit is blue?

Young dwarves are punks. An unsavory lot, I tell you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
People used to call things "blue" when it's like dude that's not blue that's really dark grey or something.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This seemed like an interesting question but one that's solvable from the military statistics we see in the book, and so I did a quick google and found this interesting blog post where someone had done the work for me:

http://armchairthinker.com/blog/2013/03/25/demography-of-middle-earth-gondor/

http://armchairthinker.com/blog/2013/07/04/demography-of-middle-earth-rohan/

EDIT:

Same guy has two other interesting posts:

http://armchairthinker.com/blog/2014/01/09/demography-of-middle-earth-the-shire/

http://armchairthinker.com/blog/2014/01/06/the-macroeconomic-impact-of-smaug/

This is awesome! I was looking for something like this.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

People used to call things "blue" when it's like dude that's not blue that's really dark grey or something.

"Blue" hair

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I reached the chapter with Tom Bombadil in my re-read and I had totally forgoten about Goldberry. I know that Tom has a :iiam: status in the lore, but what about Goldberry? Is her background ever illuminated?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Octy posted:

Yeah, certainly in its heyday Gondor could have fielded huge armies, as they did in the War of the Last Alliance. I see Gondor in the late Third Age as being more like a very early feudal army. You're not going to get anything much bigger than 50 000 total and in all likelihood they're not going to have received the same kind of professional training as their predecessors.

Nah, my first point was that with what the kingdom of Gondor looks like on a map (multiple large river valleys, mild climate, safe interior, strong natural barriers, land mass larger than modern France and etc...) their really is no reason for them to be quite so population sparse. Even the optimistic prediction from those links puts the density at or below modern Mongolia, a much harsher and more desolate land by far.

Ancient Rome in comparison had a population density at 25 BC that was 12 times higher and included a lot of land that was not nearly as nice for civilization as Gondor appears to be or was never inhabited by anything more than disparate wandering tribes. France in the 14th century had a population of 17 million and even France doesn't look like it has the things going for it that Gondor does.

Gondor (and Rohan as well) at the time of the LoTR should have had a population MUCH larger than JRRT provides for considering how long those areas had been inhabited, how much infrastructure should have been available from its previous empire and how beneficial to economic prosperity the area should be without providing any real reason for their diminution.

My other point was not to worry about it because, hey it's a work of fiction and they guy didn't care about economics and population theory.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's still interesting to try to come up with in-narrative explanations though. If nothing else, constant war and Sauron's maleficent influence could have played a part. Maybe the Dark Lord was magically spreading disease and supressing birth rates.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

It's still interesting to try to come up with in-narrative explanations though. If nothing else, constant war and Sauron's maleficent influence could have played a part. Maybe the Dark Lord was magically spreading disease and supressing birth rates.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Great_Plague

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Cool. That makes a lot more sense than Dwalin actually having a blue beard.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

SirPhoebos posted:

I reached the chapter with Tom Bombadil in my re-read and I had totally forgoten about Goldberry. I know that Tom has a :iiam: status in the lore, but what about Goldberry? Is her background ever illuminated?

We are told that spirits (minor Maia) went into the earth and the rivers and the trees and the eagles. Goldberry is called the river's daughter. So she's either a maiar spirit or at least half. Like tom, she's taken from an external source where her presentation is very luthien-like.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
As a related question, how did Dwarves get their food? I can't see any of the bigger dwarf settlements like Moria or Nogrod getting everything from trade, because they'd all die out if human farms didn't have a huge surplus/got killed by Orcs.

And did they actually cut down many forests? I remember that Ents were made because the Dwarves would be hungry for timber, but it doesn't look like they need very much wood and the deforestation is mostly attributed to humans or the Dark Lords.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Epidemic of man/dwarf marriage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bendigeidfran posted:

As a related question, how did Dwarves get their food? I can't see any of the bigger dwarf settlements like Moria or Nogrod getting everything from trade, because they'd all die out if human farms didn't have a huge surplus/got killed by Orcs.

And did they actually cut down many forests? I remember that Ents were made because the Dwarves would be hungry for timber, but it doesn't look like they need very much wood and the deforestation is mostly attributed to humans or the Dark Lords.

Haven't you played Dwarf Fortress? Underground mushroom farms.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Bendigeidfran posted:

Ha, I also spent some time thinking about the Dwarven food situation when i ran D&D campaigns. Also about the elf working class. Are there some poor elves who have for the last 5000 years just changed some elf lord's chamberpot and washed his laundry? Or do common elves take shitwork shifts?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hogge Wild posted:

Ha, I also spent some time thinking about the Dwarven food situation when i ran D&D campaigns. Also about the elf working class. Are there some poor elves who have for the last 5000 years just changed some elf lord's chamberpot and washed his laundry? Or do common elves take shitwork shifts?

As "unfallen' and without sin, Elves don't poop.Like Kim Jong Il, they just have a smooth little nodule where the rectum would be. Sometimes it emits a thin paste that can be pressed down into lembas.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bendigeidfran posted:

Pretty sure dwarf forges had to burn A LOT of wood to get going.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

As "unfallen' and without sin, Elves don't poop.Like Kim Jong Il, they just have a smooth little nodule where the rectum would be. Sometimes it emits a thin paste that can be pressed down into lembas.

Have you updated http://lotr.wikia.com/ yet?

drat the url tags are automatic now!

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 22, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Pretty sure dwarf forges had to burn A LOT of wood to get going.

They would have access to coal. Or would they? Are there large concentrations of fossil fuels in ME like there are on Earth?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Baloogan posted:

They would have access to coal. Or would they? Are there large concentrations of fossil fuels in ME like there are on Earth?

Strikes me that ME isn't remotely old enough to have formed coal deposits.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hogge Wild posted:

Have you updated http://lotr.wikia.com/ yet?

drat the url tags are automatic now!

pssh, anyone who's anyone uses http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Baloogan posted:

It's mentioned in The Hobbit that Thorin's krew had been reduced to mining coal at times after Smaug threw them out of Erebor.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Baloogan posted:

Middle Earth is Earth.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hogge Wild posted:

More seriously a quick google for "tolkien elves poop" found this:

http://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org/reference/references/pf/22_words.php

quote:

13) Ignorant: to be ignorant (G gwista- 11-46)

Not all Elves are impressive and wise, and they have a specific verb to illustrate this fact.

12) Poverty (Q oise or oiste 12-71)

Nor is Aman a perfect paradise where everyone lives in carefree happiness. Related words from the same root include 'poor' and 'lack'.

11) Bitch (G huil 11-49, Q suni 12-82)

Yes, it's literally a female dog, but in the event that anyone needs a canonical insult, here's proof that the word exists in both major languages.

10) Slave (G guinir 11-43, G drog Q norka 11-31 & 13-142, Q vartyo 12-102)

There are a few different words for 'slave', and they have slightly different meanings. Drog means 'thrall' or 'someone taken into bondage'. Guinir, on the other hand, is related to the words for 'property' and 'chattel' and doesn't have the explicit relationship to having been taken into slavery and forced to do base work that drog does. The Qenya word norka is equivalent to drog, while vartyo means both 'slave' and 'servant'.

(My personal interpretation of this is that one would use drog or norka in reference to Elves captured by Morgoth and forced into slavery, while guinir and vartyo are reserved for socially acceptable household slaves and servants.)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

But don't mines need wood to build the supports? I know they began to carve into the live rock eventually, but you had to start somewhere. Maybe... they just ate it.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

But don't mines need wood to build the supports? I know they began to carve into the live rock eventually, but you had to start somewhere. Maybe... they just ate it.

Stone construction in Middle-Earth is pretty much magic. Stuff's always "hewn into living rock", or supported by rock pillars and sheer dwarven moxie.

Hogge Wild posted:

I always thought they changed shifts between everything for the variety. So the captain of the guard part-times as a shoemaker and is also the cashier at the local lembas bakery. 10,000 years is a long time to stuff a resume.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bendigeidfran posted:

Stone construction in Middle-Earth is pretty much magic. Stuff's always "hewn into living rock", or supported by rock pillars and sheer dwarven moxie.

I always thought they changed shifts between everything for the variety. So the captain of the guard part-times as a shoemaker and is also the cashier at the local lembas bakery. 10,000 years is a long time to stuff a resume.

Maybe most elves are utterly un-ambitious, like as long as they have wine and a tree they're cool. We only see two Elven societies (not counting Rivendell) and both of them seem to just like party in the trees all day long while occasionally taking pot-shots at passing orcs.

Hell, it takes some of them like ten thousand years just to walk across the continent westwards.

Basically what I'm saying is that Elves are mad lazy.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

More seriously a quick google for "tolkien elves poop" found this:

http://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org/reference/references/pf/22_words.php

So what you're saying is that elves had house-elves?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Maybe most elves are utterly un-ambitious, like as long as they have wine and a tree they're cool. We only see two Elven societies (not counting Rivendell) and both of them seem to just like party in the trees all day long while occasionally taking pot-shots at passing orcs.

Hell, it takes some of them like ten thousand years just to walk across the continent westwards.

Basically what I'm saying is that Elves are mad lazy.
Get that humanocentric worldview out of here. If you functionally lived forever, why would you be in a such a goddamn hurry to do anything or go anywhere? You literally have all the time in the world (barring orc ambush or earthquake or w/e).

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Oracle posted:

Get that humanocentric worldview out of here. If you functionally lived forever, why would you be in a such a goddamn hurry to do anything or go anywhere? You literally have all the time in the world (barring orc ambush or earthquake or w/e).

Food doesn't even spoil in Rivendell or Lothlorien, the amount of work you actually need to support the population is miniscule.

Though I suspect the Noldor would've kept busy all day regardless. "DO SOMETHING" is pretty much their mantra. Whether that something is making friends with Dwarves, trying once again to beat Morgoth, or murdering lazier Elves who refused to do something depends on their mood.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Oracle posted:

I'm just sayin' it's that kind of attitude that built the great Elven kingdoms we see today.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bendigeidfran posted:

murdering lazier Elves who refused to do something depends on their mood.
Crabs in a barrel, man, crabs in a barrel *shakes head*

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Is it not written in some appendice that the year following the end of Sauron, crops in the Shire were bountiful and children were remarkably healthy? There might be something to the theory that growth was sauronically suppressed.

On population: we have to remember that our heroes deliberately avoid crowded areas for secrecy and then cross war-torn borderlands. PJ then chose wonderfully beautiful but empty sweeping shots, which does not help the impression. I do remember Aragorn's ghost army crossing villages on the road to Pelargir in the book.* So yeah, Gondor is populated, but we never get to see those parts.

*fakeedit:From map- Calembel and Ethring

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Is it not written in some appendice that the year following the end of Sauron, crops in the Shire were bountiful and children were remarkably healthy? There might be something to the theory that growth was sauronically suppressed.
Well, 1420 SR in particular was a little unusual in that Sam had gone around to plant seedlings with Galadriel's dandruff and then threw the leftovers up into the air in the center of the Shire. That was probably not going to become the new normal (though of course the Shire was a pretty fertile land in general).

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Nessus posted:

Galadriel's dandruff

I am a 12-year-old child (or maybe a 28-year-old hobbit) because hihihi.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bendigeidfran posted:

Presumably, Dwarven settlements are either dependent on nearby Men/Elves/Orcs who will trade food for manufactured goods, or Moria at its height had its own farms, somewhere around the West-gate (and so Nogrod and Belegost and the Iron Hills and so on).

Dwarves don't just do things with stone and metal either. They all had musical instruments when they came to hire a burglar, and the rejuvenated Kingdom of Erebor exports things you'd need wood to make. So even though they don't seem to use many wooden supports (or the areas that needed supports collapsed after 2000 years without substantial maintenance) and could just use coal for fuel, they still need wood, though not quite at the same prodigious rate the Numenoreans did.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Rewinding the convo a little bit: there's one specific NT verse that I think has a ton of bearing on both the character of Sam and the broader theme that seeking mastery over others is an inherently evil and doomed desire.

Matthew 23:11-12 posted:

(11) But the greatest among you shall be your servant. (12) Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hrm. Question. Is the horn that Eowyn gives Merry one of the horns that gets blown on the Pellennor Fields?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hrm. Question. Is the horn that Eowyn gives Merry one of the horns that gets blown on the Pellennor Fields?
Possibly. They did blow a hell of a lot of horns that day. I don't think its ever made explicit in the books though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If I recall correctly the land of Hollin was denuded of trees that went into Moria.