Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, I've heard this a bunch. Where-ish would you suggest starting?

I'm just gonna throw out specific episodes that I just found funny or memorable, since Gintama has a large variety of episodes that it's really hard to point at a really good starting point. Episode 25 is a drat funny stand-alone episode. As Srice already mentioned, the Wii episodes 98-99 are also pretty great. Episodes 131-134 will get you a Jojo parody arc, while episode 119 is a DBZ parody. I like episodes 177-181 as a really strong story arc, since it digs into Gintoki's character a bit and has a good range of drama and comedy, and doesn't require too much prior knowledge of who everybody is. I guess starting from 98 is a good point, since after that pair of episodes, you also get another solid story arc, but I'd still recommend going back to the earlier episodes at some point regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm interested in upping my poseur cred, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good stuff from the 80's?

(I also just really like the art style from back then).

I'm watching Legend Of Galactic Heroes, seen Princess Monoke, and Akira -- and Gunbuster, Nadia: Secret Of The Blue Water, and a few others are on the list. Any other recommendations?

Oh, and would anyone recommend Aldnoah Zero?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 22, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

From the 80's Crusher Joe and Dirty Pair are a must, also anything Patlabor, Urusei Yatsura if you can stand stupidly long TV series and Votoms.

Aldnoah Zero is pretty fun but it's very inconsistent, at its best it's an autistic dude taking on super robots in the equivalent of those trainers from the first episode of Gunbuster whilst cool music plays, at its worst it's just plain stupid.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm interested in upping my poseur cred, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good stuff from the 80's?

I'm watching Legend Of Galactic Heroes, seen Princess Monoke, and Akira -- and Gunbuster, Nadia: Secret Of The Blue Water, and a few others are on the list. Any other recommendations?

Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There was a ton of great stuff in the 80s. Aside from what Sakurazuka said there's Space Adventure Cobra, , They Were 11, Choujin Locke, the first Gundam movies, Arion, Ideon Be Invoked, Xabungle, Arcadia of My Youth, Hokuto no Ken, Macross, Dragon Ball, Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force, Maison Ikkoku, Project A-Ko, Saint Seiya, Laputa, City Hunter, Devilman OVAs, MADOX-01, Robot Carnival, Riding Bean, Neo Tokyo and Gosenzosama Banbanzai. Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Nope. If you can get past the first five(?) or so episodes people are saying it gets good. But those episodes are a super-generic slog. Example #3,462,846 of the military being incompetent was painful enough that I just passed on the whole thing.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Aldnoah Zero isn't necessarily good, but it's enjoyable.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Seriously, watch lege space adventure cobra. 80s as gently caress and incredible. Don't worry about the later ovas but the series or original movie is required.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Going to second Armored Trooper VOTOMS. Also, a lot of the stuff in Guyver's post are good choices.

I'm watching Legend Of Galactic Heroes
This is the correct choice. Good job!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Patlabor. Start with the Early Days OVA, and if it's to your liking check out the movies or the TV series.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Chas McGill posted:

Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise

Please watch this, everyone, it's the best.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Guyver posted:

There was a ton of great stuff in the 80s. Aside from what Sakurazuka said there's Space Adventure Cobra, , They Were 11, Choujin Locke, the first Gundam movies, Arion, Ideon Be Invoked, Xabungle, Arcadia of My Youth, Hokuto no Ken, Macross, Dragon Ball, Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force, Maison Ikkoku, Project A-Ko, Saint Seiya, Laputa, City Hunter, Devilman OVAs, MADOX-01, Robot Carnival, Riding Bean, Neo Tokyo and Gosenzosama Banbanzai. Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.

I'd add Megazone 23, Venus Wars, Fang of the Sun Dougram, Dagger of Kamui, Area 88, Golgo 13: The Professional, and your namesake, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver, to the list as well.

I also highly recommend Space Adventure Cobra, it's amazing.

e: While not 80s, you should also watch Rose of Versailles.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 22, 2015

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

GorfZaplen posted:

e: While not 80s, you should also watch Rose of Versailles.
Yes. Open Source Idiom, watch this. Rose of Versailles is fantastic.

OSCAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Far as 80s anime go that is a lot of good suggestions being brought up to the point where I have to struggle to think of good stuff that's not mentioned. Though I can say that the 80s Lupin tv series is pretty fun. The movie might be dire but other than that pink jacket Lupin rules.

Touch also has a lot of 80s charm to it, though the pacing can be a bit daunting at times.

linall posted:

Nope. If you can get past the first five(?) or so episodes people are saying it gets good. But those episodes are a super-generic slog. Example #3,462,846 of the military being incompetent was painful enough that I just passed on the whole thing.

With the second season people have retconned their opinions and now it has always been a ~wacky trainwreck~.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Srice posted:

With the second season people have retconned their opinions and now it has always been a ~wacky trainwreck~.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Recommending Anime Thread Mark II - People have retconned their opinions

I never really saw it is a wacky trainwreck, but I never really saw Code Geass as a wacky trainwreck either. A/Z is neither as energetic nor as stupid as, say, Kill La Kill.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So for 5 episodes I was not sold at all on Bodacious Space Pirates... then episode 6 happened and :krad: I'm all in. Marika is a great MC, I feel like her actor did a great job making her cute/likeable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BSP is really good and why the gently caress are there still no loving English subs for the loving move. gently caress.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Aldnoah is cool and I wouldn't really call it a trainwreck at all, though it's certainly not a terribly intelligent anime (though the physics and science and stuff brought up in it is actually scientifically accurate I hear, which is pretty cool)

I would definitely recommend it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Srice posted:

eh

from the start it could have gone either way, it went the silly way and most people still watching it have embraced that

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Looking for some series or movies that are kid friendly (like appropriate for my 4 year old) and available either on Netflix or dubbed on Crunchyroll.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I'm looking for a new series on Netflix to get hooked into --- preferrably with an English dub, but subtitled is OK. My only experience with anime is the following, each of which I pretty much loved:

Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Psycho Pass
SAO (first series only)
Eden of the East
Welcome to the NHK

Prefer stuff with a sci fi or steampunk feel to it, but slice of life is OK too -- I wasn't sold on NHK at first, but ended up really enjoying it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

railroad terror posted:

I'm looking for a new series on Netflix to get hooked into --- preferrably with an English dub, but subtitled is OK. My only experience with anime is the following, each of which I pretty much loved:

Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Psycho Pass
SAO (first series only)
Eden of the East
Welcome to the NHK

Prefer stuff with a sci fi or steampunk feel to it, but slice of life is OK too -- I wasn't sold on NHK at first, but ended up really enjoying it.

It's not on Netflix, but Steins;Gate is good and available on Hulu. Otherwise, I'd say Eureka Seven for Netflix.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fumaofthelake posted:

Looking for some series or movies that are kid friendly (like appropriate for my 4 year old) and available either on Netflix or dubbed on Crunchyroll.

I'm pretty sure Squid Girl would work work; It's like Pinky and the Brain, only Pinky is the Brain. Only the first season got a dub, but it is on Netflix.

E: I don't think it's streaming anywhere, but Ponyo would be just about perfect.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 24, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Samurai Flamenco is currently on Netflix but I think subbed.

Spice and Wolf season 1 is on netflix dubbed.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Baccano is on Youtube

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Samurai Flamenco is currently on Netflix but I think subbed.

Spice and Wolf season 1 is on netflix dubbed.

No, Spice and Wolf season 2 is on Netflix. Yes, it's dumb as hell.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I've been binging through Yakitake Japan!! and have been laughing my rear end off. It's a very tongue in cheek show. Some of it's just so ridiculous I end up laughing out loud.

It's a shounen fighting show about baking bread, and one kid's quest to bake the most recognizable and delicious 'Japanese' bread. I don't know, it's certainly not a work of art, but it's just so...fun and :psyduck:
And the baking is somewhat accurate, which makes it even more amazing.

I love it. It's so dumb, but it's so good.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 24, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but at least the manga for Yakkitate got so dumb it crossed some sort of event horizon and imploded upon itself. I dunno how far the anime gets but maybe if you're lucky it will stop before it gets to that point.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TARDISman posted:

...goddammit, Netflix.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but at least the manga for Yakkitate got so dumb it crossed some sort of event horizon and imploded upon itself. I dunno how far the anime gets but maybe if you're lucky it will stop before it gets to that point.

I forget where the anime ends exactly but it's before it became really dumb iirc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

railroad terror posted:

Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Psycho Pass
SAO (first series only)
Eden of the East
Welcome to the NHK

I don't use Netflix but it seems Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is on there, and that's probably one of the best anime series out there period, so definitely watch that. It's steampunk/mystical, too, set in an early 1900-esque world with elements of sci-fi technology(mechanical limbs), as well as magical abilities(alchemy itself). It's really loving good, the first twelve episodes or so are a bit rushed compared to the first FMA series(made way before the manga ended and lacks like, 20 characters added in the manga who are all awesome) according to some folks but I enjoyed them just fine.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't use Netflix but it seems Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is on there, and that's probably one of the best anime series out there period, so definitely watch that. It's steampunk/mystical, too, set in an early 1900-esque world with elements of sci-fi technology(mechanical limbs), as well as magical abilities(alchemy itself). It's really loving good, the first twelve episodes or so are a bit rushed compared to the first FMA series(made way before the manga ended and lacks like, 20 characters added in the manga who are all awesome) according to some folks but I enjoyed them just fine.

Brotherhood is only on Netflix sporadically; Netflix does this stupid thing where it rotates what Funimation anime is available at any given time, season by season.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Captain Invictus posted:

Awesome! Thanks, I'll check it out. I know Netflix used to have a lot better selection....not sure what happened

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

railroad terror posted:

I'm looking for a new series on Netflix to get hooked into --- preferrably with an English dub, but subtitled is OK.

I've heard a lot of good things about Knights of Sidonia, which is sci fi as hell. Apparently Ghost Hunt is also on Netflix, and I loved that when I watched it years ago.

railroad terror posted:

Awesome! Thanks, I'll check it out. I know Netflix used to have a lot better selection....not sure what happened

You probably won't be disappointed with Brotherhood. It's a pretty classic series.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

TARDISman posted:

Netflix rotates their streamable content every so often. It used to be season 1 was there but season 2 wasn't

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

railroad terror posted:

The closest anime I've seen to an NHK is My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, subbed and on Hulu. It's more low-key & has more pandering elements and that might turn you off, but Hachiman at times feels like a smarter, less naive, less mature Satou.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Gurenn Lagann is dubbed and on Netflix. It is very very good. Giant fighting robots.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Allarion posted:

It's not on Netflix, but Steins;Gate is good and available on Hulu. Otherwise, I'd say Eureka Seven for Netflix.

Steins;Gate is on my friend's Netflix queue. Is that a Canadian Netflix thing or some other weird shenanigans?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

FrozenDorf posted:

Steins;Gate is on my friend's Netflix queue. Is that a Canadian Netflix thing or some other weird shenanigans?

Probably something regional, since I just checked to see what Netflix actually had, and Steins;gate wasn't one of them. I'm in the US anyways, so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah canadian netflix only

it's got a super good dub so if you're canadian i recommend it

• Locked thread