Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Orv posted:

I don't care about the context, the ironic gimmick shitposting needs to go.

please report the shitposts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is the mahjong game any good? I looked at a couple user reviews earlier that suggested the UI isn't great. What kind of rule options are available? Difficulty settings?

P.S. This is not an ironic post, I just like mahjong.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I think we should ban discussion about certain types of games on Steam, here in the Steam thread.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Armor-Piercing posted:

Is the mahjong game any good? I looked at a couple user reviews earlier that suggested the UI isn't great. What kind of rule options are available? Difficulty settings?

So far it looks just eh, but check here in a day or two incase theres better stuff to unlock or something

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I remember playing Mahjong quite a bit on one of those "50 on one" NES carts but I've never actually known the rules and had fun just pressing tiles mostly at random. Being a kid is great like that.

If I had had my Mahjong come with giant breasts back then I probably would've spent enough time on that game to become a professional player though. Kids these days are so drat spoiled. :colbert:

E:

Eruonen posted:

I think we should ban discussion about certain types of games on Steam, here in the Steam thread.

I agree, if I hear about zombies one more drat time...

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Please don't talk about games made in Saudi Arabia, here, in the steam thread. If one more ironic shitposter comes in here trying to talk about Unearthed: The Trail of Ibn Battuta I'm gonna lose it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Eruonen posted:

Y'all know what I'm talkin about and it has nothing to do with the actual games

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I, too, enjoy hilariously oversized breasts in my puzzle games

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

A tide has been unleashed. We will all soon be drowning in anime tittays.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Armor-Piercing posted:

Just asking because gosh, I just really like mahjong, and there aren't any other mahjong games out there, so, zoinks, I guess I'd better look into getting the one with the enormous anime titties! :wink:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why play a mahjong game without huge anime titties when you can play a mahjong game with huge anime titties?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

seems like a simple value proposition to me

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv posted:

I don't care about the context, the ironic gimmick shitposting needs to go.

Anime is cool as gently caress what is wrong with you

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Animes are all well and good, but I'd like to see me some fairy butts in that Mahjong game. Anyone got the insider's scoop on what I can expect in that regard, or am I up the creek without a paddle if I pick it up?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Awesome! posted:

why play a mahjong game

Very good question.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

Anime is cool as gently caress what is wrong with you

There are some really cool animes, even for someone with my limited tolerance. Most of the animes on Steam do not qualify.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

There's a bunch of free mahjong games on the windows 8 app. My mother plays those and they're really good.

The best IMO is Yakuza 2's mahjong. It's weird but the devs put an enormous amount of effort into it and and everyone you play at the table with has there own distinct personality. You need a PS2 to play it and I'm not sure if the later Yakuza games have mahjong as good as 2's.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv posted:

There are some really cool animes, even for someone with my limited tolerance. Most of the animes on Steam do not qualify.

My favorite anime game is metal gear rising

Orv
May 4, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

My favorite anime game is metal gear rising

...poo poo.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Orv posted:

please write up a list so we know which ones are ok

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Awesome! posted:

please write up a list so we know which ones are ok
the ones which arent created as masturbatory material are ok

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

awesmoe posted:

the ones which arent created as masturbatory material are ok

sombrero raiden is my fetish

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Armor-Piercing posted:

It's pretty clunky and it runs like garbage; like it's stupidly unoptimised or (more likely) that it's frame limited to something that's actually not half my monitor refresh rate. It doesn't really look like it's going to be the most system stressing game.

Also the "How to play" stuff and any screen with non-option level English is very stilted and hard to follow. I don't know how to play so I'm going to have to work out how from Wikipedia and then give it a go. Here you go for rule options:

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/43117000061576637/4516984D2DF77690C3BC8BD03B86BAA4CF65885F/
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/43117000061576995/240FFCCF7106003F91BEECD650C8EECA80BB6348/

Has just a slight Persona 4 thing going on as well:

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/43117000061577458/14F98D2F72371B16B3BE910E896F49FB382BC3CF/

Those are just screenshots from my own feed. I can't be hosed working out how to either direct link them or upload them to imgur :effort:

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 22, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Orv posted:

I've no intention of buying any of them either but who on earth cares, people will buzz about them for a while and Freak Futanari will post his "this game is awesome" -post to collect his monthly paycheck from the Grand Anime Conspiracy Committee and then everyone goes back to the usual business of posting about whatever.

How have people even managed to post here this long without the ability to ignore stuff they don't care about? I wasn't kidding about being sick of zombies either.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

DrNutt posted:

Just asking because gosh, I just really like mahjong, and there aren't any other mahjong games out there, so, zoinks, I guess I'd better look into getting the one with the enormous anime titties! :wink:
The only other mahjong game I'm aware of in English for PC is Four Winds, which is fine (and has tons of rule sets, which is nice) but has been around since Windows 95 or earlier, and it shows.

Red Mundus posted:

There's a bunch of free mahjong games on the windows 8 app. My mother plays those and they're really good.

The best IMO is Yakuza 2's mahjong. It's weird but the devs put an enormous amount of effort into it and and everyone you play at the table with has there own distinct personality. You need a PS2 to play it and I'm not sure if the later Yakuza games have mahjong as good as 2's.
Are there any in English? I haven't taken too much of a look at the Windows 8 apps (also I only have Windows 7 on my desktop), but if there's something that looks decent I'll go for it.

I put a bunch of time into the Yakuza mahjong games too. It was removed from the localized version of Yakuza 3, but they left it in for Yakuza 4 (and possibly Dead Souls?) - I went to the mahjong parlour as soon as I could with each character.

No idea what some of those even are, but thanks for the screencaps.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

kewpuh please move this thread to adtrw for one day

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Drifter posted:

Is Citizens of the Earth any good? Metacritic scores average kinda mid 60s, and Steam reviews read like the game's suckin' their dicks or something. THere's a whole lot of "perfect"s and "better than Earthbound"s thrown around.

I'd like to know this too, the store page definitely gave ma sort of Earthbound-meets-Suikoden vibe.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Awesome! posted:

sombrero raiden is my fetish
I think that's racist but I'm not sure, I have to check and get back to you

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

markgreyam posted:

It's pretty clunky and it runs like garbage; like it's stupidly unoptimised or (more likely) that it's frame limited to something that's actually not half my monitor refresh rate. It doesn't really look like it's going to be the most system stressing game.

Also the "How to play" stuff and any screen with non-option level English is very stilted and hard to follow. I don't know how to play so I'm going to have to work out how from Wikipedia and then give it a go. Here you go for rule options:

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/43117000061576637/4516984D2DF77690C3BC8BD03B86BAA4CF65885F/
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/43117000061576995/240FFCCF7106003F91BEECD650C8EECA80BB6348/

Has just a slight Persona 4 thing going on as well:

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/43117000061577458/14F98D2F72371B16B3BE910E896F49FB382BC3CF/

Those are just screenshots from my own feed. I can't be hosed working out how to either direct link them or upload them to imgur :effort:

Red peacock is off, you have to turn it on

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Orv posted:

If you could run Saints Row 4 through a cel-shading filter or something similar it would probably count as animes.

Including several instances of tittays and dongs flapping in the breeze.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also Earthbound is so deep in the childhood classic trench that practically nobody will legitimately say "Better than Earthbound" about a modern game.

Unless they didn't play Earthbound until adulthood in which case that statement doesn't actually have any meaning behind it and is equally pointless.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I agree, rather than most people ironically saying they hate anime, can we just get to sincerely telling people that the games they're deciding to play/recommend are poo poo? :buddy:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

boobs boobs boobs

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
did orv have another meltdown

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I really hate anime and more importantly, I really need everyone to know how much I hate it. I believe that posting this is the best way to get people to stop talking about anime, imo.

EDIT:

Deakul posted:

boobs boobs boobs

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Kanfy posted:

Also Earthbound is so deep in the childhood classic trench that practically nobody will legitimately say "Better than Earthbound" about a modern game.

Unless they didn't play Earthbound until adulthood in which case that statement doesn't actually have any meaning behind it and is equally pointless.

I think Earthbound mostly holds up today. Just say it's a retro mobile game from Japan and I think people would still love it.

Morter posted:

I agree, rather than most people ironically saying they hate anime, can we just get to sincerely telling people that the games they're deciding to play/recommend are poo poo? :buddy:

Anime people: The games you're playing and recommending are poo poo. :buddy:

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I hope Armello is good because gently caress it I'm going in blind because :australia:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/290340

Has anyone already played it through Kickstarter alphas or something? It sure looks good.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

revdrkevind posted:

I think Earthbound mostly holds up today. Just say it's a retro mobile game from Japan and I think people would still love it.

Earthbound's definitely a good game, I just mean that someone saying "This is better than Earthbound" is very unlikely to actually mean anything one way or the other. It's just a well-known name to drop when you want to draw attention.

Deakul posted:

gently caress off with this anime faggotry jesus christ this thread sucks now

Deakul posted:

boobs boobs boobs

Good to see you're hard at work improving it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Coolest thing I did in the prototype was leap off a ledge above a guard, throw my sword down through his body fast enough to have it bounce off the floor, grapple-swung from the ceiling and caught the flying, rebounding blade all without touching the ground.

Whelp, I'm sold. Is this on Early Access?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That Ronin game looks like my poo poo because Mark of the Ninja is one of my favorite games and Gunpoint was real good.

• Locked thread