Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gah millenials and their lack of growing up with the OG Animated X-Men!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Bendis posted this from the 2015 Marvel retreat:

The only one I recognize for sure is Willow Wilson and that's kinda cheating. Take better pics Bendis.

Jason Aaron in the back left corner, you can just make out the beard.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I'll have you know I watched that show religiously, and Lenore Zann is to blame for my weakness for thick/caricatured/Claremontian Southern accents on women.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I trust everyone has seen this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

I will have you know I grew up with the 90's cartoon and also recognize Christopher Daniel Barnes as the one true Spider-Man voice :colbert:

I've just always preferred Blum's Wolverine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
NPH Spider-Man 4eva.

(CDB is also good though, and I wouldn't trade his scenery chewing Black Suit Spidey for anything)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Literally The Worst posted:

Jason Aaron in the back left corner, you can just make out the beard.
I was able to pick out Waid because it seems he's always wearing that exact same shirt.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm pretty sure Hickman is the guy who has half his face peeking in from the left side.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

zoux posted:

Was there a time people thought Wolverine was Australian?

He is!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Look, no-one's arguing that Hugh Jackman doesn't have an unbreakable adamantium skeleton and 2 foot claws that he can retract at will, but that doesn't make him Wolverine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Look, no-one's arguing that Hugh Jackman doesn't have an unbreakable adamantium skeleton and 2 foot claws that he can retract at will, but that doesn't make him Wolverine.

He's too tall.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

I will have you know I grew up with the 90's cartoon and also recognize Christopher Daniel Barnes as the one true Spider-Man voice :colbert:

I've just always preferred Blum's Wolverine.

90's cartoon? Why you're just a baby.

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends version of the X-Men are the true classic animated version.

Also, this needs to be posted since a lot of people have referenced it but no one seems to have provided it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E21a-0mywUc

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

zoux posted:

He's too tall.

Look, Wolverine was born like 200 years ago, people were shorter back then. Everybody knows that. But after all that time his secondary mutation kicked in and now he's average height for an adult male.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

90's cartoon? Why you're just a baby.

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends version of the X-Men are the true classic animated version.

Also, this needs to be posted since a lot of people have referenced it but no one seems to have provided it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E21a-0mywUc

OK, I'll say it if no-one else will. The Pryde Of The X-Men theme is better than the 90's one. Plus it led to the arcade game by Konami.

(I also like that the one thing that stayed consistent between one and the other cartoon was the need for a teen audience surrogate, but the change of the guard in the comics meant we got Kitty Jr AKA Jubilee when it finally happened)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
X-Men Evolution was the best X-Men cartoon and I can't be convinced otherwise.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

Evolution started weak and ended strong.
Still 90's forever. X-Men and Spiderman have not dated well but I still here those voices when I read the comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh that reminds me I saw that Agents of SMASH got added to Netflix. Any good?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

:crossarms: I think you'll find Steve Blum is the One True Bub, bub.

Mark Hamill did a pretty good job in that one game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

And because of the movies, that show's Kitty Pryde III was Rogue. (Kitty somehow became a bimbo, which was a bizarre choice)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

zoux posted:

Oh that reminds me I saw that Agents of SMASH got added to Netflix. Any good?
My coworker said it was the worst cartoon he's ever watched for his kids and it's mostly reality-tv asides where the hulks share their feelings with a camera.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

WickedHate posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men was the best X-Men cartoon and I can't be convinced otherwise.

I agree.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

And because of the movies, that show's Kitty Pryde III was Rogue. (Kitty somehow became a bimbo, which was a bizarre choice)

Rogue was a good Shadowcat 2.0. It's a better origin then she has in the comics.Granted, I might be biased because Kid Me may or may not have also crushed slightly on Evolution Rogue and the whole southern goth thing she had going on.

Madkal posted:

Evolution started weak and ended strong.
Still 90's forever. X-Men and Spiderman have not dated well but I still here those voices when I read the comics.

Evolution was the main X-Men when I was a kid, but I don't think there was a Spider-Man at the time aside from reruns of 90s Spider-Man, and I agree there. The spider sense sound was iconic, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

My coworker said it was the worst cartoon he's ever watched for his kids and it's mostly reality-tv asides where the hulks share their feelings with a camera.

Ewwww. Honestly I didn't care for the era of comics when Everybody Is a Hulk either. Marvel needs to step up their animation game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waterhaul posted:

Barnes is definitely the voice I hear when I read Spider-Man dialogue; I decide whether or not Spidey dialogue (at least in 616) is any good based on whether I can imagine Barnes saying it.

And, of course, he has strong feelings on Shocker and Shocker's escaping abilities which I find myself hard-pressed to disagree with.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Barnes is definitely the voice I hear when I read Spider-Man dialogue; I decide whether or not Spidey dialogue (at least in 616) is any good based on whether I can imagine Barnes saying it.

And, of course, he has strong feelings on Shocker and Shocker's escaping abilities which I find myself hard-pressed to disagree with.

Hank Azaria is The Best Venom, though.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Metal Loaf posted:

Agreed. Garfield's the only other dude who has really come close to capturing the voice for me, though I should probably give NPH another shot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I really liked that MTV Spider-Man show for what it was. They even managed to work in a bit more diversity with the quirky intern at the TV station that Pete was dating.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

zoux posted:

Ewwww. Honestly I didn't care for the era of comics when Everybody Is a Hulk either. Marvel needs to step up their animation game.
Isn't part of the reason for Agents of SMASH because Loeb gets a royalty check whenever Red Hulk gets used?

Metal Loaf posted:

The day I learned I could get a classic Spidey skin with Barnes' voiceover for Marvel Heroes was a good day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

I really liked that MTV Spider-Man show for what it was. They even managed to work in a bit more diversity with the quirky intern at the TV station that Pete was dating.

I hated it a lot. More than a cartoon should be able to trigger in a person anyways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Barnes the classic, but I also liked the guy in Spectacular. 60's Spider-Man is weird to me because he sounds way too grown up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I hated it a lot. More than a cartoon should be able to trigger in a person anyways.

About the only thing I remember from it was that Electro was a nerdy guy in Peter's class who was struck by lightning and turned into a giant floating head.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MTV Spider-man is by far the worst Spider-man ever. Even worse than Unlimited, which was barely a Spider-man show.

That reminds me, has MTV Spider-man shown up in Spider-verse?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow, guess I should check out Atomic Robo.

Doesn't one of the creators of that post here?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That kind of feels like a step back, but Brian's been constantly frustrated by the print industry so it makes sense.

zoux posted:

Yes I'm the artist.

Actually, the writer posts here as Hyperactive

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

MTV Spider-man is by far the worst Spider-man ever. Even worse than Unlimited, which was barely a Spider-man show.

That reminds me, has MTV Spider-man shown up in Spider-verse?

At least Unlimited gave us the cloaking costume for the 64-bit Spider-Man game, therefore contributing more value to the creative spider-realm than MTV did.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Ultimate Spiderman was pretty poo poo too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In retrospect, the X-Men cartoon was pretty amazing for Marvel universe cameos. For example, Jean becomes Dark Phoenix and flies off into space, you get reaction shots from Thor, Dr Strange, the Watcher and Eternity. Bishop spends four episodes trudging through Limbo being hassled by the janitor, who turns out to be Immortus in his final scene, completely without context. There's a flashback to show how Garrokk ended up getting turned into Zardoz, and it's pretty much just the High Evolutionary landing beside him, shooting him with a beam, and flying away.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

zoux posted:

Wow, guess I should check out Atomic Robo.

He posts frequently in the Atomic Robo thread which has gotten some new posts since the change. Please post there. It's so very very dead. I would link it but the Awful app isn't the best for thread linking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

In retrospect, the X-Men cartoon was pretty amazing for Marvel universe cameos. For example, Jean becomes Dark Phoenix and flies off into space, you get reaction shots from Thor, Dr Strange, the Watcher and Eternity. Bishop spends four episodes trudging through Limbo being hassled by the janitor, who turns out to be Immortus in his final scene, completely without context. There's a flashback to show how Garrokk ended up getting turned into Zardoz, and it's pretty much just the High Evolutionary landing beside him, shooting him with a beam, and flying away.

I'm 99% sure you see a shot of Spider-man webbing something at some point, too. The FF cartoon had similar cameos, such as Thor and Ghost Rider showing up out of nowhere to fight Galactus, and an entire episode about The Hulk. Spider-man continued the trend with guest appearances by Blade, Punisher, Iron Man, an X-men 2-parter, the FF during the show's version of Secret Wars, an episode about Captain America and the All-Winners squad... the marvel animated universe was jam-packed.

Hell, I think the Magus showed up in a flashback in a Silver Surfer episode once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Captain Britain and the Black Knight are also randomly shown in one of those shows. Marvel had a weirdly interconnected animated universe before DC, as the Hulk, Iron Man, FF, X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons all kinda crossed over.

• Locked thread