Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

tdrules posted:

Paul Thomas has been let go according to the Eye.

And nothing of value was lost.
I'll admit, I'll miss seeing his non-Euclidean buildings, and struggles with perspective...faces...proportions...colour theory, etc.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
How much do you think we'd need to raise in order to have him as this thread's personal cartoonist?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

tdrules posted:

Paul Thomas has been let go according to the Eye.

But who will now fill his boots as shittiest political cartoonist in the UK? I hope the Morning Star offers him some work.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
It couldn't have happened to a better master of the felt tip and crayon arts. No, no, wait, it could.

He ran in the Express, right? Is there an even shittier, cheaper publication that isn't already a comic book?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

And nothing of value was lost.
I'll admit, I'll miss seeing his non-Euclidean buildings, and struggles with perspective...faces...proportions...colour theory, etc.
You made a grievous error... don't worry though, I got your back!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

quote:

In a case of unfortunate timing, the first staff member to be warned of compulsory redundancy was Paul Thomas, the Daily Express’s cartoonist, who was informed on the day of the Charlie Hebdo attack.
Ironically, of all British cartoonists his caricatures were probably most similar to those in Charlie Hebdo (hideous, irreverent, clumsy-looking), even if unintentionally.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Someone draw Paul Thomas with a massive sandwich board over his chest standing in a dole queue and the sandwich board has one of his cartoons of a dole queue on it.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

BastardySkull posted:

Someone draw Paul Thomas with a massive sandwich board over his chest standing in a dole queue and the sandwich board has one of his cartoons of a dole queue on it.

An empty big news sign, a fox and a badger walking past. In the sky, a bird.

We'll always have the Sheikh of Wales.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Chilcot inquiry – Cabinet secretary, who agreed only to redacted Bush and Blair exchanges in Iraq war, to explain post-election publication"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Yesterday's Times:

Yesterday's Mail:

'I know you're angry, Sadie, love. But it's just the wrong time of the year to protest.'
:nws:Yeah, about that story...:nws:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

TheDarkFlame posted:

He ran in the Express, right? Is there an even shittier, cheaper publication

quote:

that isn't already a comic book?

Oh, never mind.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cloud Potato posted:

An empty big news sign, a fox and a badger walking past. In the sky, a bird.
I was half hoping that he left something on the desk that was completely unpublishable.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Hmm, I was kinda hoping Thomas would continue adding more and more animals to his drawings. In the end he would become some sort of animal Arcimboldo and the challenge would no longer be finding the animals in the cartoon, but the cartoon in the animals.

"Ok the vole and elephant is obviously Farage, but who is that supposed to be made out of herrings?"

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Interesting question: if viewing a picture of Nicole, 22, on Twitter, will get you in trouble with your boss, does that also mean that you can't bring a paper copy of the Sun to work?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh, never mind.

http://www.themediablog.co.uk/the-media-blog/2014/05/sunday-sport-nik-naks.html

quote:

A series of typical tall tales from the Sunday Sport have been finding a new audience on social media in recent weeks as their outrageous headlines catch the eye and cause much mirth.

One detail about these stories which has intrigued me is where they find the individuals pictured alongside these stories. We can be sure they aren't really who the stories claim but are they a willing model who is in on the joke? Or are they perhaps oblivious to the fact they are being linked to such tabloid silliness?

For example, who is the real 'Steve Butcher', the rather distinctive-looking individual pictured this week alongside claims that 'Nik Naks turned his bellend orange'?

The answer is actually rather sinister.

A few minutes on Google revealed the Sport's 'Steve Butcher, 34, from Crewe' is actually a 40-year-old named Joseph Smeenk. That is according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement which lists him as a convicted sex offender. If the Sport's photo looks like a police mugshot they found online, it's because it is:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I'll miss Paul Thomas. He's a terrible artist and the cartoons' messages are always offensive (it was the Express paying him though, so not sure how much he believed it himself), but he was strangely familiar, like a really horrible and smelly but well-loved old family pet or a hideous but comfy old novelty jumper. I always liked having a groan at the latest Thomas and seeing everyone Photoshop it.

forkboy84 posted:

But who will now fill his boots as shittiest political cartoonist in the UK? I hope the Morning Star offers him some work.

That'd be amazing, I'd love to see more of Misshapen Soviet Leaders:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Stottie Kyek posted:

That'd be amazing, I'd love to see more of Misshapen Soviet Leaders:

I assume the one on the right is Khrushchev, who did look quite a bit like a potato anyway.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's clearly Lenin, because he has facial hair.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Lenin was kind of stocky, but he wasn't as rotund as that. He looks like a plush toy of himself. Gives me an idea for a sewing project :v:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Stottie Kyek posted:

Lenin was kind of stocky, but he wasn't as rotund as that. He looks like a plush toy of himself. Gives me an idea for a sewing project :v:

If you make a plush Lenin I'll buy it from you.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Coohoolin posted:

If you make a plush Sheik of Wales I'll buy it from you.

That's a bit better now

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the leader debates – The BBC and ITV are expected to expand their TV leader debates plan to include the Green party, the Scottish National party and Plaid Cymru"

Telegraph:

New Scottish Parliament powers plan published

Independent:

ECB unveils massive QE boost for eurozone

Yesterday's Times:

After Chas Addams.

Yesterday's Mail:

'Don't hurry him. He's just making it safe.'

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the death of King Abdullah – Abdullah bin Abdilaziz Al Saud, king of Saudi Arabia, has died at the age of 90"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Sir David Wilkie.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

so are you going to make an actual point here, or

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the death of King Abdullah – Abdullah bin Abdilaziz Al Saud, king of Saudi Arabia, has died at the age of 90"

Stephen Collins:

The only question I have about the Rowson one is are the chains tying up slave-like women or is it supposed to be links to groups like ISIL? I'm probably overthinking it.

And lol at the Collins one.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those are women. He already has ISIL's hatchet man mourning his death.

Also that and the Collins one are fantastic.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I like how the Collins one has a unique Farage too in his own style. Although I miss the pint and cig

Thomas's page is forever frozen in his cut & paste 'podium debate' scene! Was it the final straw?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Chilcot: the sleep of reason produces monsters - Chris Riddell (with apologies to Goya) on the delayed Chilcot report"

Sunday Telegraph:

UKIP MEP Amjad Bashir defects to Conservative Party Also 50th anniversary of death of Churchill.

Independent on Sunday:

Greek elections: Party leaders make final calls for votes

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Love the crocodile tears. I know we all seem to hate certain reused cartoon cliches but I'd seriously dig it if he showed up every time a famous person died.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
Who's the one with the white hair next to Obama? Also a massive thumbs-up for the crying British flag (at half mast).

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Who's the one with the white hair next to Obama? Also a massive thumbs-up for the crying British flag (at half mast).

It's Christine Lagarde who has been mocked thoroughly for describing Abdullah as a "strong advocate for women"

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh thank god Greece is labeled, I would have never guessed that a hoplite standing in front of some Greek ruins would represent Greece.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the inside of Nigel Farage's head – An imagined look at the team Ukip’s leader gets help from" After Fritz Khan.

Telegraph:

Greece election: Anti-austerity Syriza wins election

Independent:

Saturday's Times:

From December 2014: Saudi terrorism court 'to try women drivers'

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I spent far too long looking at this thinking it was making some clever statement about who would/wouldn't be affected within the Eurozone, and struggling to think of why certain countries are isolated from the path of the dominoes, before realising it's just a bloody €.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Green Wing posted:

I spent far too long looking at this thinking it was making some clever statement about who would/wouldn't be affected within the Eurozone, and struggling to think of why certain countries are isolated from the path of the dominoes, before realising it's just a bloody €.
Same. :eng99::hf::eng99:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

:eng99::hf::eng99::hf::eng99:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
:ughh: me too

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I, too, did that thing.

I was expecting the unaffected ones to be the EU nations not in the Euro, would have mixed the message a bit though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I guess it's safe for me to admit that's how I saw it at first, too. Who would have thought that such a simple cartoon coud perplex so many people.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Better than than just loving labelling everything.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Syriza's election victory in Greece – Greek radicals sought on Monday to redraw the political map of Europe, forming a coalition government of left and right, united only by their desire to shrug off the constraints of austerity" After George Cruikshank.

Telegraph:

David Cameron says hoax call did not breach security

Independent:

Yesterday's Times:

Times:

Greek singer Demis Roussos dies aged 68

Mail:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax