Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

And now Harris is in. If she clears the field early it'll be really good for the CA Democrats. If there's a tough-fought primary, CA's idiotic top two system could cause issues.

Goodwin Liu is probably pretty thrilled with this news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Ah, sweet. I'm wondering who'll run for governor in 2018 though (and I hope it's just her in the field, given how our primary system works).

If Harris runs for Senate (and wins, which is probable but hardly certain), it's Gavin. It's very likely they discussed this and divvied it up so that Harris gets Senate, Gavin gets Governor.

Gavin's been the heir apparent for governor for a while, and would be governor right now if Brown hadn't resurrected himself.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Ah, sweet. I'm wondering who'll run for governor in 2018 though (and I hope it's just her in the field, given how our primary system works).

Gavin Newsom has been fighting for the governorship since about as long as I can remember. His statement saying he won't run for Senator because he wants to focus on California and not Washington D.C. suggests we should gear up for another run for governor from him.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Why does California have a top-two primary thing anyways? What's the point?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It's going to be Newsom if Brown is dead or not running again.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kurona_bright posted:

So that there's actual competitiveness in elections that would otherwise just be no-hope Republican forced to run against some incumbent Democrat and vice versa for other areas of the state.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's going to be Newsom if Brown is dead or not running again.

Brown can't run again, there's a two term limit in place. Brown's previous two terms were before it was enacted, so he was exempt, but unless the term limits are repealed Jerry Brown won't be governor again.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

kurona_bright posted:

Back when the state senate wasn't dominated by Republicans and Dems couldn't pass a budget without 60% support (budgets that don't raise taxes can be passed with a simple majority now), the Dems needed one more Republican to pass the budget. That Republican was Abel Maldonado, and he did so under the condition that the legislature introduces a ballot initiative to turn California's primary system into the mess we have now. Californians thought it was a good idea for various reasons and it passed.

In fairness to Maldonado, he wasn't just being an rear end in a top hat (he was a very moderate Republican) and his intentions were in the right place (in his mind, making elections more fair), but the execution was bad.

Bizarro Watt has issued a correction as of 03:11 on Jan 13, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

Something tells me the CA TV networks are going to find out exactly how much that's worth.

Something tells me its worth a lot more than what you think it is for a post as big as CA senator.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cliff Racer posted:

Something tells me its worth a lot more than what you think it is for a post as big as CA senator.

Yes I am sure the billionaire will struggle to get their names out.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Gavin's out, leaving Harris, Villarigosa, and Steyer to fight it out for the CA Senate seat.

One of those people is a billionaire. :ssh:
Speaking of insufferable Silicon Valley types vying for Democratic seats, do you know any good post mortems on Khanna's kampaign?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
what's the problem with the jungle primary?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Voyager I posted:

Yes I am sure the billionaire will struggle to get their names out.

Yeah I'm sure he has some sort of very populous constituency that isn't already filled by another, better candidate. People aren't going to go "who is that?" when Kamala Harris announces she's running and she isn't going to have trouble raising money either. Neither are a bunch of other Democrats and probably at least one credible Republican. Carly Fiorina and Meg Whitman couldn't spend their way to victory in 2010, Ro Khanna couldn't spend his way to victory in 2014. Why should we believe it is any different here.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

There was a Forum segment on it a few months ago. I forget the specifics, but the gist seems to be that it hasn't actually helped any third parties yet, and there is at least one case in Southern California where a new, left-leaning district ended up with two Republicans on the ballot because the Democrats split their votes four ways. I'm going off memory, but my impression was that it's another one of those things that sounds like a good idea but actually turns out to be pretty stupid.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

A 60-40 district where the 60% party has four competitive candidates and the 40% has two.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yes, the jungle primary creates perverse incentives for candidates and voters in primary elections and doesn't accomplish either of its purported goals of making third parties and intra-party fringe candidates more competitive. Here's a tip: don't look to Louisiana for ideas on electoral reform.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Louisiana is a perfect source of ideas. Anyone you see proposing them should be shot into the sun, allowing for the better ideas to come forth.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah I'm sure he has some sort of very populous constituency that isn't already filled by another, better candidate. People aren't going to go "who is that?" when Kamala Harris announces she's running and she isn't going to have trouble raising money either. Neither are a bunch of other Democrats and probably at least one credible Republican. Carly Fiorina and Meg Whitman couldn't spend their way to victory in 2010, Ro Khanna couldn't spend his way to victory in 2014. Why should we believe it is any different here.

He has the all important "D" next to his name.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah I'm sure he has some sort of very populous constituency that isn't already filled by another, better candidate.

Steyer, the single biggest donor to Democrats, has made climate change his issue. If he runs, it will be with that as an agenda and focus for the campaign.

Meanwhile, Loretta Sanchez has also declared for the CA Senate race. She currently represents the 46th Congressional District (Anaheim).

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Joementum posted:

Here's a tip: don't look to Louisiana for ideas on electoral reform.

Imagine how much funnier the Cochran McDaniel poo poo show could have been as a Jungle election.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

He has the all important "D" next to his name.

Yeah he does, and so will a shitload of his opponents in the primary and, if he makes it there, probably one in the general as well.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cory Booker is a Kamala Harris fan.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

kurona_bright posted:

Independents and populists like it, so it does well in the initiative system.

Kobayashi posted:

and there is at least one case in Southern California where a new, left-leaning district ended up with two Republicans on the ballot because the Democrats split their votes four ways.

Mine. Course corrected in 2014, though. But it almost happened again. Four Democrats and two Republicans in the primary, the top Democrat just barely won 2nd place.

Lycus has issued a correction as of 02:27 on Jan 14, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
California also has the top-two system because a previous open primary system ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanket_primary ) was ruled unconstitutional for potentially forcing political parties to endorse a candidate they didn't want, back in 2000. So the new, constitutionally-kosher system was supported partly based on the popularity of the old "blanket primary" system.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
So take this anecdote for what it's worth (quite possibly nothing) but I met a fairly politically informed American traveller who shares a hairdresser (I know, I know) with Russ Feingold, who said he is definitely running.

Just another hint that D&D's second favourite senator might be making a comeback.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Tammy Duckworth says she is a few weeks away from making a decision to challenge Mark Kirk and I would be shocked if she decides not to.

http://atr.rollcall.com/tammy-duckworth-senate-bid-illinois-201/

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Rygar201 posted:

Imagine how much funnier the Cochran McDaniel poo poo show could have been as a Jungle election.

That plausibly could have ended with US Senator Travis Childers.

We can only imagine the new and strange directions this chart would have taken.

oldswitcheroo has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Jan 20, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
How different would our politics look had David Duke won his senate election in 1990—as in, if black Louisianans didn't turn out en masse to vote against him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I think it's great Kyoon's getting work as a graphics designer. It explains how he's able to afford the recent re-regs.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Looks like Twitter superstar Chuck Grassley is going to be running for re-election for sure. Guess we can cross Iowa off the "possible D pickups" list.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Assume seat pickup dead.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Wrong thread. My bad. But yeah the Democrats didn't exactly inspire my faith in there ability to get out the vote in the weeks prior to the November midterm. It was like making the arrangements for a funeral. So defeatist.

Their timing to take a turn to the left couldn't be worse either. This is a pretty great article on the matter: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/pat-garofalo/2015/01/15/are-dems-trolling-the-left-with-paid-sick-leave-transactions-tax-push

dorkasaurus_rex has issued a correction as of 14:46 on Jan 22, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Wrong thread. My bad. But yeah the Democrats didn't exactly inspire my faith in there ability to get out the vote in the weeks prior to the November midterm. It was like making the arrangements for a funeral. So defeatist.

Their timing to take a turn to the left couldn't be worse either. This is a pretty great article on the matter: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/pat-garofalo/2015/01/15/are-dems-trolling-the-left-with-paid-sick-leave-transactions-tax-push

This guy misses that the Democrats couldn't pass any of this stuff in 2013 either. The sticking point is the House, if you can get any of this stuff past a Republican House it's getting through the Senate even if the Democrats have lost the Senate (because hell has frozen over).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Steyer's out. The likelihood of Senator Harris happening is rapidly approaching 100%.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Hey maybe Steyer will get lucky and Feinstein will keel over before the election, he can't be worse than her.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

Steyer's out. The likelihood of Senator Harris happening is rapidly approaching 100%.

I still think that there's a good probability she doesn't just walk to the nom. Villaraigosa should have a number of strong constituencies to draw from and its possible that, should he run, he and a Republican grab slots 1 and 2 in the primary. If I were him I'd go for it too. The Newsom/Harris deal looks set to eat up Cali's top slots for another decade and if these other candidates want a position they had might as well seek it now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cliff Racer posted:

The Newsom/Harris deal looks set to eat up Cali's top slots for another decade and if these other candidates want a position they had might as well seek it now.

I don't disagree that Villarigosa would be a formidable primary candidate, but Diane Feinstein is 81, currently....

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I don't disagree that Villarigosa would be a formidable primary candidate, but Diane Feinstein is 81, currently....

Yeah but she's in relatively good health for her age.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012
I don't care how good her health is, she needs to go for a lot of reasons, preferably by retiring because that makes it easier. I had actually hoped Steyer's interest was in order to raise his profile and gain experience in campaigning before going for Feinstein's seat in 18, whether she retires or not. And if she doesn't, hell yes i'd take Villaraigosa going at her, bad as he is. Or anybode else...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gorilla Desperado posted:

I don't care how good her health is, she needs to go for a lot of reasons, preferably by retiring because that makes it easier. I had actually hoped Steyer's interest was in order to raise his profile and gain experience in campaigning before going for Feinstein's seat in 18, whether she retires or not. And if she doesn't, hell yes i'd take Villaraigosa going at her, bad as he is. Or anybode else...

He's not going to primary a sitting senator, none of them are unless it gets to the point where they trundle her around like a vote casting mummy. Even then I doubt voters would respond well to that, people love their incumbents.

You people love to talk about how Jeb's been out of politics for too long or that such and such candidate is fading into irrelevancy. Well if those cases are true then Villaraigosa has to factor in those same concerns when deciding how much longer to wait. Its not like he only recently left office.

Cliff Racer has issued a correction as of 04:30 on Jan 23, 2015

• Locked thread