Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

double nine posted:

Look, given the ending and the malkavian unique dialogue, as well as andrei's comment at the second encounter, and the file directory name for a certain someone, I choose to believe that someone of a higher generation (lower gen? whichever, someone more powerful in the bloodline) is tampering with our skillset, making us more powerful than normal. I don't care if it makes sense, from a pnp point of view. We were always a patsy in this, even our skillset was being manipulated in order to do someone's bidding.

A Methuselah could probably do something like that, with the right disciplines and research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Zeroisanumber posted:

A Methuselah could probably do something like that, with the right disciplines and research.

Of course they could. A handful of Malk Methuselahs managed to gently caress with one of the fundamental disciplines for their entire clan. Powering up a single neonate is probably simple by comparison.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

Of course they could. A handful of Malk Methuselahs managed to gently caress with one of the fundamental disciplines for their entire clan. Powering up a single neonate is probably simple by comparison.

Pretty sure that those dudes had the quiet assistance of Big-M himself to pull that off, but yeah old vamps can do all sorts of wild poo poo.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

At the start of the game if you cheat your stats up a bit Jack laughs at you and you can say "Malkav made me do it"

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Yeah, when it was brought up that the PC's sire had to be a pretty old vamp for the power level your character has, first thing that came to mind for me was "Wellp, end of the world's coming, may as well do the vampire equivalent of suicide-by-cop and drat someone for funsies while I'm at it."

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Zephro posted:

I last played Bloodlines years ago, and really liked it, so I've been reading this thread with interest. People were talking about the PC's oddly high power level, and hinting that some characters make in-game references to how quickly they're growing. I remember noticing the same thing and wondering who the PC's sire could be.

- A know-nothing high-generation newbie might just be dumb enough to do the illicit siring, but that doesn't explain the PC's power.
- A moderately low-gen vampire might explain the PC's power, but probably wouldn't be dumb enough to run around performing illicit sirings.
- A seriously low-gen vampire is going to give no fucks about rules on siring, and is cunning enough to not to let themselves be caught and killed by a bunch of weedy Camarilla arrivistes. And would explain why the PC hulks out so fast.

Trouble is there aren't that many low-gen vampires in the game. Beckett is 7th gen and I think he's the lowest we meet. But he's obviously not the daddy. So who is it? Given his role in the plot I could see Jack doing it, and setting someone else up for the fall, just about. But that would make the PC 11th gen and that seems too weak. The only other option seems to be the Cabbie, who does take quite an interest in what you get up to. But the two leading theories about him are that he's either Caine or some random Methusaleh and neither seems all that plausible.

edit: of course I could be hugely overthinking something that's just a necessary gameplay mechanic, but if we can't :spergin: out in an SA thread about pretend vampires then I don't even want to know any more.

The thing is, LaCroix makes it pretty clear who the sire is back in the theatre. They're a paid-up Camarilla goon. "A loyal and upstanding member of this organisation." But they're not particularly important, and therefore probably not particularly powerful , because he's willing to sacrifice them just to make a point to the Anarchs about how he can play tough, and nobody's willing to stick up for them.

The only alternative interpretation is that he's being sarcastic, which certainly fits with his reading of "forgive me" - they're an Anarch and he's trying to goad the others. But given that Nines and everyone else in the theatre just lets them die without protest, then leaps up when the PC is threatened, I don't think that's likely.

EDIT: But equally, since nobody mentions the sire to you ever again, perhaps we just need to accept their character motivation as 'guy that gets the plot moving.'

grobbo fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 22, 2015

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aumanor posted:

On this topic: what does Gehenna do to the Consensus?

Depends on whether Vampire or Mage takes precedence in a given ST's campaign. The Ascension scenarios assume that Gehenna, if it happens, is mostly offscreen and low-key. VtM itself was never written with the Consensus and Mage's crazy metaphysics in mind, and just assumes mages are, well, wizards of some kind.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

tlarn posted:

Yeah, when it was brought up that the PC's sire had to be a pretty old vamp for the power level your character has, first thing that came to mind for me was "Wellp, end of the world's coming, may as well do the vampire equivalent of suicide-by-cop and drat someone for funsies while I'm at it."

This makes a certain kind of sense, particularly if you suppose that the sire was tipped off before the game even starts that Gehenna is coming to pass really soon, or was otherwise manipulated into the suicide-by-cop fatalistic mindset somehow.

Particularly if you consider a certain someone possibly being active in the area who could accomplish something like that easily

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

insanityv2 posted:

I hate to turn this into a non-vampire related derail, but I still firmly believe that the blame for the fact that we'll likely never get another WW property videogame despite the resurgence in popularity in the subject matter to fall substantially at Dancey's feet.
So wait, CCP have the license to all White Wolf's stuff? Why wouldn't they just commission some outside studio to do another Vampire game or whatever? Just because the MMO failed, that's no reason to not make any more games. Or am I missing something?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Zephro posted:

So wait, CCP have the license to all White Wolf's stuff? Why wouldn't they just commission some outside studio to do another Vampire game or whatever? Just because the MMO failed, that's no reason to not make any more games. Or am I missing something?

Because :effort:. They simply seem to not give a poo poo. They had the MMO idea, and that's all they wanted the IP for. It didn't work, so welp.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zephro posted:

CCP never impressed me with their commitment to developing the WoD brand.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Zephro posted:

Anyone remember the 70$ monocle? CCP has a history of trying to profit off the stupidest things if they think they can get away with it. As long as they think they can still profit from the brand, they aren't letting anyone touch that poo poo.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Zephro posted:

They own it outright. The original creators actually license the IP they made from them to do some supplements after they reformed into Onyx Path publishing.

CCP is chock full of icelandic hubris and questionable business acumen. They probably have no idea what to do with it but know it's potentially valuable, so they're taking the default tack of sitting on it and not bothering to do anything else since they have their FPS, Occulus flight sim, and MMO cash cow to deal with.

Now, if a blooded studio were to work up a good proposal and could secure funding and whatnot, they'd probably be willing to license it out. Of course, good luck getting funding before you even have the license.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

TheMcD posted:

Because :effort:. They simply seem to not give a poo poo. They had the MMO idea, and that's all they wanted the IP for. It didn't work, so welp.

It did however make them decide to go after and shut down a (in progress) free game based on Vampire.

Cuz screw you fans :downs:

And I used to think that CCP (monocle aside) was a pretty decent company :(

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

I last played Bloodlines years ago, and really liked it, so I've been reading this thread with interest. People were talking about the PC's oddly high power level, and hinting that some characters make in-game references to how quickly they're growing. I remember noticing the same thing and wondering who the PC's sire could be.

- A know-nothing high-generation newbie might just be dumb enough to do the illicit siring, but that doesn't explain the PC's power.
- A moderately low-gen vampire might explain the PC's power, but probably wouldn't be dumb enough to run around performing illicit sirings.
- A seriously low-gen vampire is going to give no fucks about rules on siring, and is cunning enough to not to let themselves be caught and killed by a bunch of weedy Camarilla arrivistes. And would explain why the PC hulks out so fast.

Trouble is there aren't that many low-gen vampires in the game. Beckett is 7th gen and I think he's the lowest we meet. But he's obviously not the daddy. So who is it? Given his role in the plot I could see Jack doing it, and setting someone else up for the fall, just about. But that would make the PC 11th gen and that seems too weak. The only other option seems to be the Cabbie, who does take quite an interest in what you get up to. But the two leading theories about him are that he's either Caine or some random Methusaleh and neither seems all that plausible.

edit: of course I could be hugely overthinking something that's just a necessary gameplay mechanic, but if we can't :spergin: out in an SA thread about pretend vampires then I don't even want to know any more.
Or it could have been that a seventh gen had a patsy grab you and drain you to unconsciousness, then finished the job of siring you themselves before leaving the loyal/dominated/blood bound patsy to take the fall knowing that LaCroix is a moron and wouldn't investigate properly in his zeal to show he is upholding the Camarilla traditions in his new city. Hell, they may have even been the one who tipped off the Cam, just to set the events in motion. It's not like they even bothered questioning your "sire" before they dusted him.

Break
Feb 19, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

Or it could have been that a seventh gen had a patsy grab you and drain you to unconsciousness, then finished the job of siring you themselves before leaving the loyal/dominated/blood bound patsy to take the fall knowing that LaCroix is a moron and wouldn't investigate properly in his zeal to show he is upholding the Camarilla traditions in his new city. Hell, they may have even been the one who tipped off the Cam, just to set the events in motion. It's not like they even bothered questioning your "sire" before they dusted him.

This is exactly my thought.

Assuming, of course, that the super powered PC isn't just that way because its a game and its more fun that way. Though it does seem conspicuous that all their stats line up with an 8th gen.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So, been a while and I can't quite remember what half this poo poo does so:

Anyone mind giving a fast rundown on the various Disciplines that you can have access to, with an example of a low end power and a high end? Just to give an idea.

Anyone doing the same for mage spheres would be fantastic too.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Zephro posted:

It's a pretty common thing to do with IP rights unfortunately. There's some company whose name I forget who has managed to hold the rights to make games or movies based on the Wheel of Time series for over a decade despite never doing anything beyond the bare minimum required to make it really hard for Harriet McDougal to get them back.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's basically Schrodinger's license: it's a license quite a few people are interested in, making it very valuable. But because they know this and want to charge (exhuberant) money for it, this scares everyone off, making the license worthless because no-one is willing to take that risk. These states are true simultaneously.

I love lawyers.

also I know that that's not actually what Schrodinger was talking about.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

It's a pretty common thing to do with IP rights unfortunately. There's some company whose name I forget who has managed to hold the rights to make games or movies based on the Wheel of Time series for over a decade despite never doing anything beyond the bare minimum required to make it really hard for Harriet McDougal to get them back.

...and nothing of value was lost.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

double nine posted:

It's basically Schrodinger's license: it's a license quite a few people are interested in, making it very valuable. But because they know this and want to charge (exhuberant) money for it, this scares everyone off, making the license worthless because no-one is willing to take that risk. These states are true simultaneously.

I love lawyers.

also I know that that's not actually what Schrodinger was talking about.

It's a license superposition. There's always an IP, a dickhead company, and a lighthouse.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Except that CCP did license the WW RPG properties out so that stuff could be made for them: that's literally the entire point of Onyx Path Publishing.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Except that CCP did license the WW RPG properties out so that stuff could be made for them: that's literally the entire point of Onyx Path Publishing.

I don't think CCP was ever interested in publishing RPG books though, so there is no conflict. A new WoD-based video game on the hand, falls under the clause of "we might want to do something with this ourselves before the heat death of the universe, so gently caress off"

I hope I eat my words and Obsidian gets a crack at it like they wanted before:

:smith:

fspades fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 23, 2015

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Galick posted:

So, been a while and I can't quite remember what half this poo poo does so:

Anyone mind giving a fast rundown on the various Disciplines that you can have access to, with an example of a low end power and a high end? Just to give an idea.

Anyone doing the same for mage spheres would be fantastic too.

Sure, I can give a rundown of the spheres.

Correspondence: Manipulation of space, connections, and relationships. One dot: basic scrying. Five dots: Rooms bigger/smaller on the inside than the out, stacking multiple locations on top of one another, being in multiple places at the same time, physically transferring people and things to/from the Digital Web.
Entropy: Manipulation of decay, probability, and fate. One dot: little twists of good or bad luck, always knowing the odds of something. Five dots: Multi-generation curses or blessings, disintegration.
Forces: Manipulation of energy of all kinds: One dot: Sensing/reading energy. Five dots: Total transmutation or creation of energy.
Life: Manipulation of living/biological organisms. One dot: getting a feel for how healthy/sick something is and why, sensing living organisms. Five dots: creating new species, perfect cloning, reviving the dead (physically).
Matter: Manipulation of physical, non-living matter. One dot: finding/locating specific substances, sensing what exactly something is made of. Five dots: creating entirely new elements.
Mind: Manipulation of thoughts and emotions. One dot: sensing the presence of other intelligences, reading people's emotions. Five dots: creating sapient minds or snuffing them out.
Prime: Manipulation of magic, avatars, and the fundamental structure of reality. One dot: sensing quantities of quintessence (mana) and resonance. Five dots: tapping reality itself for free quintessence, unmaking real things to free their quintessence, interacting with avatars.
Spirit: Manipulation of spirits, souls, planes, and other dimensions. One dot: sensing spirits, peeking across the Gauntlet. Five dots: creating spirits and souls.
Time: Manipulation of time and causality. One dot: knowing what time it is exactly, picking up on temporal manipulation. Five dots: perfect time travel (but not without the usual risks), freezing subjective time for oneself or another entirely.

Oracles and archmages can go past five dots, and at those ratings things mount up until the mage in question can do literally anything imaginable within a given sphere. Period.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 23, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, mage is less "this is X discrete power" and more of "I want to do X, here's how I can justify it using these spheres that I know"--with level 3 in most spheres you can do some wacked out stuff, and it just goes from there. The real limitations are a) your paradigm (literally, how you can justify the effect using your personal belief system of How Magic Works) and b) Paradox. Just because you can time travel, doesn't mean that you won't arrive at your destination and immediately explode.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 23, 2015

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

fspades posted:

I don't think CCP was ever interested in publishing RPG books though, so there is no conflict. A new WoD-based video game on the hand, falls under the clause of "we might want to do something with this ourselves before the heat death of the universe, so gently caress off"

:smith:

I weep bitter tears for what could have been. I'm very excited for PoE but an obsidian WoD game would have beee amazing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

...and nothing of value was lost.

True, but it's a good example of somebody just sitting on some IP rights with no intent to actually use them.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Pussy Cartel posted:

Life: Manipulation of living/biological organisms. One dot: getting a feel for how healthy/sick something is and why, sensing living organisms. Five dots: creating new species, perfect cloning, reviving the dead (physically).
Mind: Manipulation of thoughts and emotions. One dot: sensing the presence of other intelligences, reading people's emotions. Five dots: creating sapient minds or snuffing them out.
Spirit: Manipulation of spirits, souls, planes, and other dimensions. One dot: sensing spirits, peeking across the Gauntlet. Five dots: creating spirits and souls.

Could Life + Mind + Spirit 5 equal perfect resurrection, in theory?
Life to restore the body, Mind to restore the mind, Spirit to restore the soul.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Omobono posted:

Could Life + Mind + Spirit 5 equal perfect resurrection, in theory?
Life to restore the body, Mind to restore the mind, Spirit to restore the soul.

Honestly, that's something the game was never clear on. Some editions said that that effect would create a perfect resurrection, while other editions said that only spheres above 5 could manage it.
There was a huge disconnect in power levels between 1st/2nd edition and the revised edition, which tried to turn the game into something low-key and street level. I'm pretty sure the upcoming 20th anniversary edition is going back towards something on par with the 2nd edition, which allowed for resurrection and poo poo like that.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

UrbicaMortis posted:

I weep bitter tears for what could have been. I'm very excited for PoE but an obsidian WoD game would have beee amazing.

Hell, most of Troika is already there.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pussy Cartel posted:

Honestly, that's something the game was never clear on. Some editions said that that effect would create a perfect resurrection, while other editions said that only spheres above 5 could manage it.

Perfect resurrection below level 6 spheres seems inconsistent with there no longer being any reliable way to achieve immortality through magic, aka the Tremere problem.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Pickled Tink posted:

Yeah, like I said in the post, the logical person to do that is Jack, given his role in the plot. Trouble is he's only 10th.

quote:

No, I realise, it just never fails to amaze me that people would sit on an asset like this and let it do nothing :/

quote:

Ugh. See? This would have been the best thing.

edit: assuming it was oWoD, screw this nWoD stuff

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 23, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zephro posted:

Yeah, like I said in the post, the logical person to do that is Jack, given his role in the plot. Trouble is he's only 10th.

No, I realise, it just never fails to amaze me that people would sit on an asset like this and let it do nothing :/

Ugh. See? This would have been the best thing.

edit: assuming it was oWoD, screw this nWoD stuff

In all honesty, I think obsidian can pull of building their own horror fantasy universe if they wanted to. The problem (as always) is funding. I hope that their Eternity project gets them all the moneys so they can do projects like this.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zephro posted:

EA would like a word with you. :smith:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

double nine posted:

In all honesty, I think obsidian can pull of building their own horror fantasy universe if they wanted to. The problem (as always) is funding. I hope that their Eternity project gets them all the moneys so they can do projects like this.

If Torment: Tides of Numenera is any indication, there are a lot of deep-pocketed nerds in their 30's willing to toss $100 at a studio that wants to resurrect an old favorite.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

If Torment: Tides of Numenera is any indication, there are a lot of deep-pocketed nerds in their 30's willing to toss $100 at a studio that wants to resurrect an old favorite.

Hey, I'm a nerd in my 30s (well, 29). I wish I had $100 to throw their way.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

ulmont posted:

Perfect resurrection below level 6 spheres seems inconsistent with there no longer being any reliable way to achieve immortality through magic, aka the Tremere problem.

There's a built-in limiter of Paradox. Resurrection definitely falls into the "Vulgar as all hell" category, so while you could maybe get away with some "advanced CPR" at the moment of death to bring back someone with not much of a hit, bringing back your long lost dog Seymour would definitely ding you hard, and keeping someone alive for centuries is even worse.

It's really a fuzzy system that requires the ST to keep players in check, but the ST (like any DM-type) has a lot of tools at his/her disposal to smack the players down if they start getting ridiculous.

Edit:

Desumaytah posted:

Wait, can two vampires sire one vampire by "taking turns" during the process? If so, do they have to be of the same clan? If a fifth-gen starts the siring process and a seventh- or eighth-gen takes over, are their weird effects? Can you make some sort of multi-clan abomination, or will the potential new baby vampire just die from all the stress? I'm assuming the latter.
No. Whoever gives the blood to the fresh corpse, is the sire. If you try to feed a mix the ST can roll, say it doesn't work, toss darts (hopefully at the players) or pick at random.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 23, 2015

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Pickled Tink posted:

Wait, can two vampires sire one vampire by "taking turns" during the process? If so, do they have to be of the same clan? If a fifth-gen starts the siring process and a seventh- or eighth-gen takes over, are their weird effects? Can you make some sort of multi-clan abomination, or will the potential new baby vampire just die from all the stress? I'm assuming the latter.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Desumaytah posted:

From memory mass-Embraces can work sort of like this, but there’s a ritus involved similar to Vaulderie where different vamps give blood beforehand and it’s all magically mixed. This is one reason a lot of shovelheads wind up Panders (Caitiff).

GrimRevenant fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ulmont posted:

Funnily enough, 1st and I believe 2nd edition made it possible to stop or undo aging using Life, and below 6, at that. The drawback was that being found out by a Sleeper would trigger a backlash, and just having your aging frozen would leave you with permanent Paradox.

There's also whatever method the FACADE Engineers use to create 'backups' of important Technocrats, which is technically a sort of immortality/resurrection.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 23, 2015

• Locked thread