Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Cockatrice has a timer but it doesn't end the game automatically at 50 minutes. It's just there to keep time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I think that's just a matter of getting used to the interface. You can set stops and use the F-keys to auto-pass priority just like on MTGO. 25-30 minutes a side should be more than enough.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I think that's just a matter of getting used to the interface. You can set stops and use the F-keys to auto-pass priority just like on MTGO. 25-30 minutes a side should be more than enough.

Let's be real. This is most people's first exposure to xMage and there's a bit of an adjustment period to the interface. 10 extra minutes per match is hardly unreasonable.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I agree with the extra time. I can be horrible on commentary for 20 extra minutes, since everyone playing is going to be horrible at magic for 35 minutes each.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm fine with more time... More time for me to durdle and spin tops.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
ok, lets do 35 minutes per player for bo3 rounds, and 60 per for the finals bo5

if xmage supports your deck try to use it for the sake of uniformity

if not i dunno, my instinct is you cockatrice guys keep track of time and then play five turns overtime a la paper, maybe get someone to spec to keep time. might be a little wonky but this is more for fun so i dunno that it's worth finding the ~perfect solution~

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I mean, if both players agree and have time, you could just run your non-xmage round until it finishes, but y'know, YMMV.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

I mean, if both players agree and have time, you could just run your non-xmage round until it finishes, but y'know, YMMV.

given that i think the non-xmage players are mostly playing dragon i feel like we need some way to actually end the round in case the dragon player can indefinitely pull off a draw somehow :I but i have no idea how easy getting the draw is in that deck and if that's a realistic scenario

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

gang sines posted:

given that i think the non-xmage players are mostly playing dragon i feel like we need some way to actually end the round in case the dragon player can indefinitely pull off a draw somehow :I but i have no idea how easy getting the draw is in that deck and if that's a realistic scenario

The draw is absurdly easy to get but the ratio of draws to wins depends on how bad your list is. There's also tradeoffs wrt speed to combo and percentage of games won with the combo so thats also a thing that some insane people are messing around with.

But the draw is literally having 2 pieces out of 3 of your win so it's easier to get than the win.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 22, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

35 minute rounds is a great idea. Xmage is more than clunky, and I know a lot of us aren't used to our decks either. Its also going to be just a single round per week, so its not like we are trying to run several rounds in succession.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I think the solution is that everyone should just proxy dragons with griselbrands.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm not sure how willing I am to install and learn more than one 3rd party Wizard simulator.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Partial Octopus posted:

I think the solution is that everyone should just proxy dragons with griselbrands.

I don't want to go deep into the actual mechanics of the deck since some people are playing it and they've done the work to develop some cool lists, but actually iterating the game within the rules is actually important even when you go off in some cases.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
ok i'm thinking if people are married to playing dragon that it might be easiest to just fix it so we can all play xmage :\

e: if i have time tonight i can work on that, if anyone else wants to go for it

e2: and if anyone else wants to i think the issue is with auras entering the battlefield without being cast not being handled right

black potus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 22, 2015

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Sign me up bruh I'll probably be playing some sort of a Shardless Agent deck

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Sampatrick posted:

Sign me up bruh I'll probably be playing some sort of a Shardless Agent deck

You're way late, bruh, you must love mcmagic's posting.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

Lol, first dude I try playing on xmage throws a hissy fit when I red blast his jitte. He wouldn't stop saying that painter's servant only changes the color for cards that "AREN'T ON THE BATTLEFIELD". Then he conceded (I won g1, this was g2) and it still put us in for a 3rd game? Not sure what to take from that, is it possible I accidentally surrendered or something?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wadjamaloo posted:

35 minute rounds is a great idea. Xmage is more than clunky, and I know a lot of us aren't used to our decks either. Its also going to be just a single round per week, so its not like we are trying to run several rounds in succession.

Did you get CoV to work right? It didn't seem to allow me to chain cast in my test games, I only built that pile once though. :/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to goldfish on XMage? I can't seem to find any option for making an AI opponent other than a draftbot, which is probably only there to, well, draft.

Also, I seem to have lost all my card images since the last time I opened XMage and now. Is that normal?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Start up a Server and connect to localhost. It usually works and is almost capable (I was trying to play earlier and it just sat there tanking for a solid minute on my Declare attackers, 2nd Main, and both its Mains) until it gets multiple activated abilities out then it just goes nuts with them (I'll just regen my Troll Ascetic twice and then pass the turn :v:).

Also the disappearing images thing happened to me too but only once.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 23, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

C-Euro posted:

Is there a way to goldfish on XMage? I can't seem to find any option for making an AI opponent other than a draftbot, which is probably only there to, well, draft.

Also, I seem to have lost all my card images since the last time I opened XMage and now. Is that normal?

You can launch two clients and have them fight each other

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, the XMage AI is a little rough. Once the board state gets complicated/it has lots of options it often ends up timing out on its thinking, which leads it to just pass every time. And even when it's working it often makes questionable strategic choices like throwing burn at your face (but not enough to kill you) rather than at your lethal attacker.

Looking at the log messages it spews out, it seems to be based on simulating the expected results of actions, which is probably the only real way to handle such a diverse card pool (c.f. Forge, where the AI is incapable of identifying that a Festering Goblin will in fact trade with an x/2 attacker), but it still needs quite a lot of work to actually be worthwhile.

It's a reasonable goldfish opponent if you give it like, Burn or something though. And you can play against it to figure out the XMage interface.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 23, 2015

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
nm it's bedtime

black potus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 23, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TenjouUtena posted:

Did you get CoV to work right? It didn't seem to allow me to chain cast in my test games, I only built that pile once though. :/
I made a few CoV piles, the wording was slightly confusing, but it worked.
There is a point where it asks if you would like to change the target of CoV, it isn't 100% clear, but its talking about changing the target of the copy not the original.

And just to be clear, you are choosing YOUR top as the first target and then trying to copy and choose their hate card as the second right? After all, this is Doomsday we are talking about and most people wouldn't be able to figure out this interaction on their own.
You are also taping your top first and responding to the ability with CoV right?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So, just so I'm clear here, this is a participation tag, right? And I'm assuming FRF cards are allowed?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wadjamaloo posted:

I made a few CoV piles, the wording was slightly confusing, but it worked.
There is a point where it asks if you would like to change the target of CoV, it isn't 100% clear, but its talking about changing the target of the copy not the original.

And just to be clear, you are choosing YOUR top as the first target and then trying to copy and choose their hate card as the second right? After all, this is Doomsday we are talking about and most people wouldn't be able to figure out this interaction on their own.
You are also taping your top first and responding to the ability with CoV right?

What I was trying to do was to bounce a couple LEDs back to my hand to recast to build storm count, so I selected my LED, tap/sacced a land, it asked to if I wanted to change. I said yes, then.... Nothing happened? In this specific instance I wasn't doing the CoV/top trick.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TenjouUtena posted:

What I was trying to do was to bounce a couple LEDs back to my hand to recast to build storm count, so I selected my LED, tap/sacced a land, it asked to if I wanted to change. I said yes, then.... Nothing happened? In this specific instance I wasn't doing the CoV/top trick.
Ahh, I haven't tried bouncing any LED's, but I was able to bounce my top and an opponents leyline. I don't see why that should be different though, unless whoever coded it only allowed the copy to target a permanent an opponent controls or something stupid.

EDIT: I just tested it, and yea its broken.
Cast CoV > Target LED
CoV Resolves >LED gets bounced.
Would you like to copy CoV? > Yes
Sacrifice a land > click, land goes by bye
Choose a non-land permanent > click second LED
Nothing happens, stack is empty.

Could we maybe have a gentleman's rule where if a bug prevents a demonstrate-able win, we count that as a win.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 23, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

suicidesteve posted:

So, just so I'm clear here, this is a participation tag, right? And I'm assuming FRF cards are allowed?

As long as they are implemented, they should be allowed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
During a game, how can you see your full hand? If I have more than seven cards in hand they get cut off by the little stack window.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

C-Euro posted:

During a game, how can you see your full hand? If I have more than seven cards in hand they get cut off by the little stack window.

There should be a slider, but it might only appear if you download the card images.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This is apparently a common enough complaint that they include it in the FAQ. (But not common enough to actually fix, apparently). There's a scrollbar below the hand area, but if your screen is too small vertically it can disappear off the bottom.

The solution is to make sure you're using the small card images and (I'm not joking) hide your taskbar to get more vertical space.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
There should be one for people who are commentating only that says "Talks about Goons that are officially better than McMagic."

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

Could we maybe have a gentleman's rule where if a bug prevents a demonstrate-able win, we count that as a win.

yes don't be a dick if your opponent can win on paper but there's a bug, scoop

also yes on FRF if they're implemented

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Eh, screw it.

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Golgari Grave-Troll
3 Golgari Thug
4 Stinkweed Imp
4 Bridge from Below
3 Ichorid
4 Narcomoeba
3 Putrid Imp
4 Careful Study
4 Faithless Looting
3 Breakthrough
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Cephalid Coliseum
4 Gemstone Mine
2 Dread Return
1 Flame-Kin Zealot
4 City of Brass
1 Mana Confluence

2 Pithing Needle
1 Ichorid
2 Street Wraith
1 Flayer of the Hatebound
1 Darkblast
4 Nature's Claim

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 24, 2015

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Edit: List time!

1x Cavern of Souls
1x Horizon Canopy
3x Karakas
4x Flagstones of Trokair
6x Plains
4x Rishadan Port
4x Wasteland
4x Flickerwisp
4x Mother of Runes
4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4x Stoneforge Mystic
4x Phyrexian Revoker
2x Mangara of Corondor
2x Mirran Crusader
2x Serra Avenger
4x Ęther vial
4x Swords to Plowshares
1x Umezawa's Jitte
1x Sword of Fire and Ice
1x Batterskull

SB:
2x Cataclysm
1x Council's Judgement
2x Enlightened tutor
3x Rest in Peace
1x Pithing Needle
1x Ratchet Bomb
2x Ethersworn Canonist
2x Wilt-Leaf Liege
1x Mindbreak Trap

TheLawinator fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 24, 2015

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

So is there a list deadline for this thing? Let's get it moving!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
yeah i was expecting more people's lists to be in by now ;[

if you can't get your list in by 9AM Monday EST (so in ~48 hours) please post in the thread or send me a PM. if i don't hear from anyone i'm gonna go ahead and post pairings for rd 1 then and give whoever's got no list in a match loss just so we can get stuff started. if there's a reason you can't just let me know! unless the reason is you are lazy then just go pick some scg top 8 list dammit >:(

here's who's left:
TheKingofSprings
AgentSythe
Snacksmaniac
Pointus Pilate
odiv
Chamale
muon
ChewyLSB
Procrastinator
Dr. Stab
PERPETUAL IDIOT
Auralsaurus Flex
suicidesteve
Toshimo

i know some people on that list have decks decided but haven't posted lists. if you're on this list and did post a decklist please tell me i'm a dumbo and i'll correct that.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

also i'd thought that would be the 1st place tag, if someone wants to make another 1stplacier tag or another participation tag go 4 it. i'm gonna get whoever's 1st an avatar cert to buy the 1st place tag.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

gang sines posted:

also i'd thought that would be the 1st place tag, if someone wants to make another 1stplacier tag or another participation tag go 4 it. i'm gonna get whoever's 1st an avatar cert to buy the 1st place tag.

I know; it was my attempt at humor. To be fair though, we probably should all get the better than mcmagic tag.

I've decided that I'd rather not win, so here's my list (Assuming Tasigur works. Otherwise I'll just drop him and play 60 like a chump.)

"It's pronounced Yund"
3 Badlands
3 Bayou
3 Bloodstained Mire
1 Forest
3 Grove of the Burnwillows
2 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Wasteland
4 Abrupt Decay
4 Dark Confidant
4 Deathrite Shaman
1 Huntmaster of the Fells
4 Hymn to Tourach
3 Lightning Bolt
4 Liliana of the Veil
1 Pernicious Deed
3 Punishing Fire
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Sylvan Library
3 Tarmogoyf
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
4 Thoughtseize

Sideboard:

1 Chains of Mephistopheles
1 Choke
1 Duress
1 Engineered Plague
1 Garruk Relentless
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Krosan Grip
1 Pernicious Deed
1 Pithing Needle
1 Raging Ravine
2 Red Elemental Blast
1 Slaughter Games
1 Surgical Extraction

Edit: I fixed my sideboard. -1 Engineered Plague +1 Garruk Relentless.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

gang sines posted:

yeah i was expecting more people's lists to be in by now ;[

if you can't get your list in by 9AM Monday EST (so in ~48 hours) please post in the thread or send me a PM. if i don't hear from anyone i'm gonna go ahead and post pairings for rd 1 then and give whoever's got no list in a match loss just so we can get stuff started. if there's a reason you can't just let me know! unless the reason is you are lazy then just go pick some scg top 8 list dammit >:(

A couple of cards in my original deck aren't implemented on XMage, so I changed it a bit-

4 Ancient Tomb
4 Cavern of Souls
9 Plains
2 Karakas
4 Ballyrush Banneret
3 Captain of the Watch
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Chrome Mox
4 Daru Warchief
4 Enlistment Officer
4 Field Marshal
2 Loxodon Gatekeeper