Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Stoat posted:

Anneke news: Her project with Arjen Luccassen has released a track (and a "calm version")

It's very typical both of them mixed together. I dig the choirs.

:fap:

What a track!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Was listening to a vinyl rip of Addicted! yesterday (iBasso DX50 & Sennheiser Momentum cans) and I was surprised I could hear so much more detail in the music than I recall ever (it's one of my go-to albums). Actually stopped in the street I was so engrossed.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Stoat posted:

Anneke news: Her project with Arjen Luccassen has released a track (and a "calm version")

It's very typical both of them mixed together. I dig the choirs.

I was about to say, these guys aren't treading very much new ground here, are they?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

spookygonk posted:

Was listening to a vinyl rip of Addicted! yesterday (iBasso DX50 & Sennheiser Momentum cans) and I was surprised I could hear so much more detail in the music than I recall ever (it's one of my go-to albums). Actually stopped in the street I was so engrossed.

Really? That's interesting. Might try and find that, although I don't have fancy headphones.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Slur posted:

I was about to say, these guys aren't treading very much new ground here, are they?

Anneke has moved around a few genres on her solo stuff in the last few years, and I think DTP is her metal outlet, but Arjen has been making the same album for 15 years. I guess their styles are similar that the result just sounds like classic Arjen/Anneke.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

That song does absolutely nothing to me, much like most symphonic metal. It's like these people have a different cringe factor from me.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I've been a Devin fan for many years now, but I keep finding new stuff. I don't know how I managed to miss the Infinity album, but I did. Only found it because I liked Colonial Boy and War from when I was at the Retinal Circus. This album is great, but pretty chaotic. Feels like the belly rumblings of Deconstruction. Next up is Physicist, another one I don't know very well. Sounds like Strapping, which sounds good to me.

henpod fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 23, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Physicist is kind of a dry run for Addicted, it's got some great tunes, but it's basically an unfinished album.

Material is still my favorite single Devin song of all time, though.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Physicist is a great album that sounds so awful I can't really bear to listen to it, which is depressing as gently caress

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Yeah i'm listening now, and I really like the songs, it just sounds like they were recorded in a tin can or something. Also, it appears to be the whole SYL band which makes this even more of a shame. Maybe he will remaster it some day.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like I'm the only person who really didn't enjoy Addicted. Some great live songs from it, though

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

henpod posted:

Yeah i'm listening now, and I really like the songs, it just sounds like they were recorded in a tin can or something. Also, it appears to be the whole SYL band which makes this even more of a shame. Maybe he will remaster it some day.
I think rerecording Kingdom was as far as he's going to go with that. I tend to forget how much I actually love Physicist.. Jupiter is a fun track to sing to (and then get super depressed you don't have a voice anything like Dev's)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I think he had said that he wanted to revisit more songs off of Physicist than just Kingdom. I would want to hear a rerecording of Irish Maiden most of all, that track is one my favorites.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I'd love to see Planet Rain revisted

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The production of Physicist was hosed, the music itself is great. A shame he (presumably) doesn't have the raw recordings so he could just re-release a version he produced himself.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I actually like the way Physicist sounds and would prefer a more stripped/less produced sound then the same axefx preset with the same vocal chorus sound over and over again.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

origami posted:

I actually like the way Physicist sounds and would prefer a more stripped/less produced sound then the same axefx preset with the same vocal chorus sound over and over again.

Most of his sound these days is coming from a Mesa Recto.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

origami posted:

I don't like physicist's production but I agree that he needs to mix things up. I think that's one of the reasons I like Casualties so much, there's a lot of clarity and variety to the sound. Dark Matters sounds simply muddy to me, and Sky Blue sometimes gets that way too.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I think the production really suits some songs on Physicist. Namaste in particular.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a huge three-part interview with Devin that was gradually released this month.

Part one and two are more or less him trying to verbalize his thoughts on where he's at in his career and his conflict on what he wants to do, but part three... Part three is about The Devin Song That Will Never Be Released, Ever.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Devin Townsend & Chad Kroeger - How You Vampira Me

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

I am 100% in favor of Devin releasing a song manufactured for idiots and making an asspile of cash

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

quote:

So the intention that I have when I’m writing that stuff is certainly not to try and convince 15-year-old girls that some 42-year-old guy with poo poo teeth is their new hero.

I love Devin.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

The Kins posted:

Part three is about The Devin Song That Will Never Be Released, Ever.

Until it magically appears on a Contain Us style boxed set.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Eagerly awaiting some lovely poprock band to release a song and Devin to tweet "Oh there it is"

Goobish
May 31, 2011

AzureSkys posted:

He toured with her band, Stolen Babies, back in 2012, I think? She filled in a few songs, notably Colonial Boy and I imagine he built Queen B the War P for her. I love her part, too, and Devin has a great knack for finding unique talent and fitting it in to an interesting place. I think Decon was a testing ground for both orchestra work and guest roles into what he seems to be enjoying the most these days for writing more beyond guitars and playing less.

I haven't caught up in the thread, but I want to thank you, goon to goon, for giving me my new favorite band, Stolen Babies. I mean, she still doesn't top Dev for me, but holy poo poo I'm listening to one of her albums and my mind is being blown. Which I enjoy.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Always glad to see a new Stolen Babies fan. I've been listening to them for years now. They're also super nice people.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Always glad to see a new Stolen Babies fan. I've been listening to them for years now. They're also super nice people.

The woman is insane and I love it. I definitely hope Devin works with her more. Is Z3 wishful thinking? I mean Ziltoid and the War Princess were sucked through a hairy wormhole and ended up on a desolate planet together... with only one bag of coffee!!! So I just really hope it's happening. After Devin takes a break for awhile, though, gently caress the man never stops going.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Reposting my hope for a Devin album without him singing. His voice owns his real skill is hosting the best performances of other vocalists' careers.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Goobish posted:

Is Z3 wishful thinking?

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/526762681119035392

Possibly not.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Stoat posted:

Reposting my hope for a Devin album without him singing. His voice owns his real skill is hosting the best performances of other vocalists' careers.

So basically Ayreon made by Devin Townsend

I didn't know this is something I wanted until now!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So sounds like the Royal Albert Hall show is going to be Ziltoid for the first half, then second half is a special 'by request' show and he's asking for suggestions.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So, on a whim, I visited the Royal Albert Hall website and was just able to pull the trigger on two seats. I thought they were supposed to be completely sold out?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

horse mans posted:

So, on a whim, I visited the Royal Albert Hall website and was just able to pull the trigger on two seats. I thought they were supposed to be completely sold out?

Huh, me too. Are they good places? I bought mine on the day of sale and they are pretty rubbish, up high and at the back. Me and my buddies can't even sit together. Wish I could have gotten better ones, but at least I'm going I guess.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

henpod posted:

Huh, me too. Are they good places? I bought mine on the day of sale and they are pretty rubbish, up high and at the back. Me and my buddies can't even sit together. Wish I could have gotten better ones, but at least I'm going I guess.

Mine are Grand Tier 38, which appear to be... not that bad seats. But I may be mistaken.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I just picked up a ticket for Grand Tier 6 and I'm pretty stoked, 'cos I though I wasn't going to able to go.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Glad you guys got great seats, but a bit miffed that mine are up in the nosebleeds and I booked on the morning of release! I guess all of the allocated seats were being sold staggered or something.

Gonna be a great show nonetheless! Loving the idea of a setlist by demand. Would be cool to see Deconstruction. I would love to see Namaste from Physicist. That's the closest to SYL we are gonna get.

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008
Got Z2 for Christmas and have only just been able to sit down and listen to it. I do like Deathray, favorite song so far. Also, what up booked-tickets-on-the-morning-of-ticket-release-and-am-in-the-shitstalls buddies :(

neillyb
Nov 15, 2005

People say alcohol is a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink
My awesome fiancee got me VIP tickets for the show in Paris - the first show of the European tour. Looking forward to it very much, but also a bit nervous! Not sure what to expect. Met him briefly before in Glasgow at GuitarGuitar in 2011 but this is, like, 20 minutes with them or something. The gently caress do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

neillyb posted:

My awesome fiancee got me VIP tickets for the show in Paris - the first show of the European tour. Looking forward to it very much, but also a bit nervous! Not sure what to expect. Met him briefly before in Glasgow at GuitarGuitar in 2011 but this is, like, 20 minutes with them or something. The gently caress do I do?
nuzzle his bald head. treat it like a penguin egg. coo and huddle it lovingly. nest on it

• Locked thread