Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So we all have the big stuff we want FE14 to change, like the maps and some balance stuff, but what are the smaller stuff that if they don't change, sure whatever, but it would be neat?

For example, I for one love Mastermind in Awakening, but the problem in FE games and the special boss themes (but fixed in the normal battle themes thanks to the Ablaze versions) is that since battles are so short, you don't really get to hear the themes. So I say, once you engage the boss, have the theme keep playing for the rest of the chapter until the boss is beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Onmi posted:

Look it's really simple, You have MU, they get involved in a battle between both sides lead by each lord, you pick one to side with and bam, you play like a 10 chapter story on the side of that army recruiting troops meeting characters and then you join up with the other side. Or hell make it go 15 chapters. stretch that poo poo.

Exactly, or as I said the exact same mechanical function as sacred stones.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Terper posted:

So we all have the big stuff we want FE14 to change, like the maps and some balance stuff, but what are the smaller stuff that if they don't change, sure whatever, but it would be neat?

For example, I for one love Mastermind in Awakening, but the problem in FE games and the special boss themes (but fixed in the normal battle themes thanks to the Ablaze versions) is that since battles are so short, you don't really get to hear the themes. So I say, once you engage the boss, have the theme keep playing for the rest of the chapter until the boss is beaten.

Just loot from Super Robot Wars a theme not ending until a new theme starts playing. I.E. if I attack the boss, the boss theme starts playing, and then it goes to the map, keeps playing, and keeps playing as I keep attacking the boss, if I break off to attack some mook, it stops and the regular battle theme plays.

As for minor changes...

Hmm... I wouldn't mind the return of the animation system from FE5, where the fighting isn't just "Move, attack, move back"

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Manatee Cannon posted:

At least he's not Knoll.
Hey now, Knoll is cool; Nosferatu makes him hilariously unkillable.:colbert:

Hang on...

There we go.:getin:

And Void, Knoll's awesome little Phantom minion, is definitely cool.

He dodged death at least 50 times, and if I recall correctly he had a double digit kill count by the end of Blastinus's LP.:getin:

(I have literally started calling Knoll's Phantom "Void" in my playthroughs now; he's got no official name, so "Void" is good enough for me.:v:)

fade5 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 22, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

fade5 posted:

Hey now, Knoll is cool; Nosferatu makes him hilariously unkillable.:colbert:

Wow, I've never had a Knoll with this much luck. Did you use a goddess icon on him?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nihilarian posted:

Wow, I've never had a Knoll with this much luck. Did you use a goddess icon on him?
He's actually the Knoll from Blastinus's FE8 LP; Blastinus used Afa's Drops Metis's Tome on him. (Knoll's average stats at 20/20 are 45.0/25.9/22.0/21.5/6.0/6.0/26.0, so with the Tome he's basically about what you'd expect.)

On a sidenote, whenever I buy Knoll a bunch of Goddess Icons to max out his Luck, I always imagine him walking around the Lagdou Ruins with like 10 Goddess Icons jangling around his neck.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 22, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Onmi posted:

Hmm... I wouldn't mind the return of the animation system from FE5, where the fighting isn't just "Move, attack, move back"

Same. I loved how you seemed to have characters moving to engage and then standing close to each other tradi blows. It felt more like a real fight.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I got the impression that MU in FE14 would be the prince of one of the nations, or something, though we only saw MU as prince(ss) of the eastern one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I got the impression that MU in FE14 would be the prince of one of the nations, or something, though we only saw MU as prince(ss) of the eastern one.

I didn't. It seems to me that captain blond and samured are the respective lords.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually, speaking of music, do we know if Rei Kondoh and Hiroki Morishita are coming back? The Awakening OST was great, and considering Rei Kondoh also worked on Okami, it'd be a perfect fit for the east vs west thing.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I wonder who they're going to bring in for voice acting this time, since Awakening managed to bring in some pretty big names on that front.

Onmi posted:

I didn't. It seems to me that captain blond and samured are the respective lords.

Eh, we got that one scene where some Validar-lookalike was telling MU "lol as expected, the prince is a naive one" or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I wonder who they're going to bring in for voice acting this time, since Awakening managed to bring in some pretty big names on that front.

Eh, we got that one scene where some Validar-lookalike was telling MU "lol as expected, the prince is a naive one" or something.
The 'validar lookalike' looks nothing like validar and was also a green unit

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

The 'validar lookalike' looks nothing like validar and was also a green unit

Hurr I didn't notice that...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But yeah, MU in FE14 seems like they'll be a lord of some kind. At least a noble. The scene of the maids waking Kamui up is in first person, like the scene of Lissa and Chrom waking Robin up.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i kinda hope the story doesn't have multiple paths. as much as i like fire emblem its still a long-rear end jrpg and i'm not looking forward to playing those more than once. i also don't like having units that i can miss out on just because i chose a different path.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can just play it only once and live with your choices, shadow the hedgehog

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Live and Learn, man.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Whichever path you choose, know that this is who you are.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If it's a long rpg, I can complete it far easier on a portable system than a PC or console.

On the VA front, 8-4 seems to have access to the entire VA industry unlike a lot of translation companies it seems. Ironically Troy Baker?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sharrrk posted:

i kinda hope the story doesn't have multiple paths. as much as i like fire emblem its still a long-rear end jrpg and i'm not looking forward to playing those more than once. i also don't like having units that i can miss out on just because i chose a different path.

I kinda hope no developer ever caters to your bad-brained gameing

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i could see the avatar being the prince/princess of some small but strategically significant kingdom between the two warring nations, or something like that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

epitasis posted:

I dunno, Sacred Stones fit his needs pretty well while providing variety for multiple runs. He'd get all the same units with the same base story and endgame, but the way he got those units and story was different through different maps, recruitment locations and methods, etc. You don't miss anything by picking Erika's route over Ephraim's or vice versa other than how a little bit of the plot is presented and the challenge of the map set you didn't choose. It was like a bigger version of how you don't feel the need to replay Fire Emblem to see the two maps where the route split based on lord level and whatnot.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

you can just play it only once and live with your choices, shadow the hedgehog

The Shortest Path posted:

Live and Learn, man.

Pyroi posted:

Whichever path you choose, know that this is who you are.

thanks guys

epitasis posted:

i have over 200 hours on awakening from getting every support to max and i don't want to extend that to 400 hours i'm sorry

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

again stop projecting your brain problems on the games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sharrrk posted:

i have over 200 hours on awakening from getting every support to max and i don't want to extend that to 400 hours i'm sorry

That's not the game's fault

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I beat Awakening's story in 35 hours, that ain't a long-rear end jrpg by anyone's definition.

A long-rear end game, maybe, but not a jrpg.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah fire emblem isn't even very long, that's the weirdest thing about all this

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The longest fire emblem would probably be 7 I guess if you add up all three routes.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

jrpgs are not games i want to play more than once. i want to experience everything it has in one go and then never touch it again. most fe games are good for this because usually the only thing you can miss are some supports, which awakening improved further on by only limiting s supports. its cool that other people like to play them multiple times but that's not what i'm looking for, that's all i'm saying. i don't think that's an unreasonable opinion

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A single playthrough of Radiant Dawn is probably the longest, though I think 12 comes pretty close. It depends on how you define it though, by chapter length or average completion time or turns or what.

I always spend a lot of time loving around with crafting in 9/10 though, so...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's still a dumb opinion, regardless to wish to retard a game just for your sake. Pretend it's just one route in your mind.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sharrrk posted:

jrpgs are not games i want to play more than once. i want to experience everything it has in one go and then never touch it again. most fe games are good for this because usually the only thing you can miss are some supports, which awakening improved further on by only limiting s supports. its cool that other people like to play them multiple times but that's not what i'm looking for, that's all i'm saying. i don't think that's an unreasonable opinion

you spent 200 hours grinding text logs that are readily available on any wiki. just pretend there aren't other paths

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The avatar being the main lord would be weird, now that I stop to think that might be a possibility.

Endorph posted:

It's not the exact same as the one in the CG scene but there's a shot of a golem in combat. Presumably monster classes from FE8 are making a return.

Monster classes are silly and should totally be player classes, who wants to play whining anime teenagers when I could be liquidizing not-romans beneath boulders? Not me.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 22, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anatharon posted:

The avatar being the main lord would be weird, now that I stop to think that might be a possibility.

It might help to actually give the MU some personality.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

More Female Robin than male robin this time around for FE14.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It might help to actually give the MU some personality.

Yes, because when I think Fire Emblem main lord, I think oodles of personality.

Tae posted:

More Female Robin than male robin this time around for FE14.

That or more Hector. I love that guy.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you don't start your new Awakening files by having max renown and selling all the items to buy Hector and Ike for your team then I just don't know what to tell you.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lotish posted:

Yes, because when I think Fire Emblem main lord, I think oodles of personality.

I've only played 7,8,9,10 and 13 but at least half of those Lords had more personality than Robin.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I've only played 7,8,9,10 and 13 but at least half of those Lords had more personality than Robin.

Someone played male robin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Male Robin and Morgan are dull but their counterparts more than make up for it because they are the best characters.