Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, don't do it. This game is, like, it is soooooo hard. It is so hard that I heard last year a kid tried to beat it and the counselors found him dead in the lake and the doctor said the game was so hard it made him crazy!

Dark Souls is even harder than Shovel Knight and Binding of Isacc, this is a Fact

hubris.height posted:

i know that 'dark souls is not difficult' is the rallying cry right now but be real

if they aren't a serious gamer / looking for a challenge you're not gonna have patience for that poo poo don't even front

Yeah this is true though. Maybe the truth ... is in the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time
Tales of Graces f
Lollipop Chainsaw

all games that i am reasonably sure a girl gamer would enjoy.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Dark Souls is even harder than Shovel Knight and Binding of Isacc, this is a Fact

binding of isaac isn't even remotely difficult, once you have good items you can coast through pretty much everything

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
girls freaking love the League Of Legends, op

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time
Tales of Graces f
Lollipop Chainsaw

all games that i am reasonably sure a girl gamer would enjoy.
You have to at least play Up Your Arsenal before you play Crack in Time, so pick up the Ratchet and Clank HD collection and skip the first game.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

THE PENETRATOR posted:

have your wife play Custer's Revenge

This also sounds like a sex act.

On the haxxing topic, I looked at infinity for my son but even used it is $$$ Has there been any unlock hax or anything?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

This also sounds like a sex act.

:ironicat:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

You have to at least play Up Your Arsenal before you play Crack in Time, so pick up the Ratchet and Clank HD collection and skip the first game.

As much as I like R&C1, it has aged badly so yeah, skip that poo poo

(they're remaking it for PS4 anyway so who gives a gently caress)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

As much as I like R&C1, it has aged badly so yeah, skip that poo poo

(they're remaking it for PS4 anyway so who gives a gently caress)
Nobody, since it's not very good. Ratchet and Clank pulled a classic Reverse Jak.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

it would be fine if it had strafing, but it doesn't so it sucks.

also the remake won't have Chairman Drek, like what the gently caress. he's the best part of that game.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is it still a remake if it doesn't follow the plot of the original? Doesn't that just make it a prequel?

no they're just replacing drek with a different villain because i guess the "evil guy in a suit" trope would come off as outdated or something.

rumor is they're working nefarious into it somehow instead because everyone likes dr nefarious.

tbh there aren't a lot of concrete details, just that it will tie into the movie which will follow the same basic "new" origin story.

Excels fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 23, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is it still a remake if it doesn't follow the plot of the original? Doesn't that just make it a prequel?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

hubris.height posted:

rayman legends is a good one

rayman legends is possibly one of the greatest games of this or any generations and it slipped completely under everyone's radar because it released next to like uncharted or something equally gay

its a shame its too easy a game but i didnt mind cause i loved every minute

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, don't do it. This game is, like, it is soooooo hard. It is so hard that I heard last year a kid tried to beat it and the counselors found him dead in the lake and the doctor said the game was so hard it made him crazy!

im loving pissed that people go OOOOH DARK SOULS IS SOOO HARD because if you're patient its alright

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ArfJason posted:

rayman legends is possibly one of the greatest games of this or any generations and it slipped completely under everyone's radar because it released next to like uncharted or something equally gay

its a shame its too easy a game but i didnt mind cause i loved every minute

Rayman Legends designed its levels using an algorithm so we should be glad that it failed

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gay Man Legends

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i don't "get" rayman legends, i mean there's only one "right" way to play each stage, right? you just go on the route that lets you hit all the 'notes' to the music, once you've done every stage and hit all the notes what else is there to do

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ha ha ha is that the title of your autobiography?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Excels posted:

i don't "get" rayman legends, i mean there's only one "right" way to play each stage, right? you just go on the route that lets you hit all the 'notes' to the music, once you've done every stage and hit all the notes what else is there to do

play it even better

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Excels posted:

I don't understand what you're saying, couldn't you level the same criticism at Mario 3 or something?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I don't understand what you're saying, couldn't you level the same criticism at Mario 3 or something?

but when you play mario there are powerups and you can stop and do things and find secrets, but isn't Rayman Legends just "run to the right and hit all the note bugs"?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

only a few levels are synced to music and they're rewards for beating a world.

there are a zillion levels and the point of them is to find 10 hidden dudes to rescue while having super fun then replaying them in a mercilessly tough challenge race mode. sorry you suck and are awful at having fun.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Excels posted:

but when you play mario there are powerups and you can stop and do things and find secrets, but isn't Rayman Legends just "run to the right and hit all the note bugs"?

Nope

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i thought the whole hit all the "notes" thing was metaphorical, did you actually think rayman legends was comprised entirely of rhythm stages

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

only a few levels are synced to music and they're rewards for beating a world.

there are a zillion levels and the point of them is to find 10 hidden dudes to rescue while having super fun then replaying them in a mercilessly tough challenge race mode.

oh ok. i only played demo levels at gamestop and all of them were "run and collect paths of notes" so i wasn't sure what else there was

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

The only criticism you could reasonably level at Rayman Legends is that it uses Uplay. It's a pretty flawless platformer, all things considered.

I guess the reward for finding all the little blue dudes is pretty poo poo, but other than that it owns.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bobby The Rookie posted:

The only criticism you could reasonably level at Rayman Legends is that it uses Uplay. It's a pretty flawless platformer, all things considered.

I guess the reward for finding all the little blue dudes is pretty poo poo, but other than that it owns.

finding all 700 or 800 of them is crazy anyway. i got 550 and moved on

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
what is the reward for finding all the dudes?

i really like it though its been consistantly fun and i have trouble fielding any complaint other than 'its too easy' but i'm still on the one star levels so idk

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

hubris.height posted:

what is the reward for finding all the dudes?

i really like it though its been consistantly fun and i have trouble fielding any complaint other than 'its too easy' but i'm still on the one star levels so idk
It's just another skin that makes your teensie character golden. I'd be surprised if anyone plays as that guy anyway, so it's incredibly useless.

The game's got a pretty gentle difficulty curve, which I don't think is a straight-up detriment for the main stages. The time trials and the final bonus stages are where the game can actually get challenging.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

final bonus stages are hilarious (one song splits the screen into 32 smaller screens all of sudden and expects you to do jumps. vision obscuring/screen flipping/fish eye lens are in there too.) they feel great to beat but they're just troll versions of the regular bonus levels and aren't that hard if you are good at the originals.

the only time the game is hard is on the challenge levels (luckily every main level has a challenge version!). there are some that took me longer than whole worlds to beat with a gold rank.

the game has a pretty great difficulty feel if you ask me. also its sense of humor is fantastic and i love a lot of the boss battles (and especially the post boss battle cutscene)

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 23, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I don't even know who that's attacking because it takes more than four paragraphs to get to the lead and I stopped reading after four paragraphs. The issue with video game journalism isn't ethics, it's basic writing skills.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It basically says that if a website is hyping games for their friends or girls who have hosed the entire staff there's no need to disclose it, but going to video game parties hosted by game companies is seriously crossing the line

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what is the best Puzzle Bobble or Bust A Move? Not a the dancing game, the bubble popping game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Adam Bowen posted:

It basically says that if a website is hyping games for their friends or girls who have hosed the entire staff there's no need to disclose it, but going to video game parties hosted by game companies is seriously crossing the line

Well, talk about burying your loving lead.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It takes a lot of words to convey the fact that video games "journalists" are generally failures who happily whore themselves out intellectually for cheap memorabilia and free food or booze

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

it's making a good point which is that most games bloggers pretend they're upper class just because they're drip-fed information from people much wealthier and more important than they are, and that "journalism" in gaming has always been and will always be a popularity contest fueled by an unwarranted sense of importance

all of which is just AAA game publishers using the same tactics you would see from car salesmen, except now the car salesmen have lesser salesmen to do the pitches for them, and people trust those guys for some reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

It takes a lot of words to convey the fact that video games "journalists" are generally failures who happily whore themselves out intellectually for cheap memorabilia and free food or booze

Yes but generally you report the most important bit first, then back it up. Even in an op-ed.

Say

Adam Bowen posted:

Then explain why that's true.

If people don't know what your point is in the first paragraph you've failed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Your first paragraph needs to be a thesis. This is like basic writing 101 that everyone learned in 6th grade, but people who write for gaming sites are not journalists and are typically pretty dumb.

It doesn't matter that there is some sort of ethical code, because games journalism isn't real. All of these people are just bloggers. It's not a real profession.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hey man i knew a guy from missisippi who swore up and down he was the sega correspondant for ign back in 2001 he had a beat and everything

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Coolguye posted:

hey man i knew a guy from missisippi who swore up and down he was the sega correspondant for ign back in 2001 he had a beat and everything

maybe it was keith apicary

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Your first paragraph needs to be a thesis. This is like basic writing 101 that everyone learned in 6th grade, but people who write for gaming sites are not journalists and are typically pretty dumb.

It doesn't matter that there is some sort of ethical code, because games journalism isn't real. All of these people are just bloggers. It's not a real profession.

In journalism obviously you need to explain the point of your article up front but I learned while getting MY ENGLISH DEGREE that the first paragraph thesis statement is a bullshit crutch for writerbabies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

In journalism obviously you need to explain the point of your article up front but I learned while getting MY ENGLISH DEGREE that the first paragraph thesis statement is a bullshit crutch for writerbabies

Evidently that destructoid author needs the crutch

• Locked thread