Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

BULBASAUR posted:

Speaking of Orks, how is the grot tank/mekboy list from forgeworld? I forget what book it's in, but it looked really fun to play.

It's on the download section of Forgeworld, if that's the one you're thinking of. It's got grottanks in it at least.

Also hilariously the only way to do an all-biker list for Orks without going unbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Latest rumour*

quote:

The decurion detachment will not be a Necron only thing. The standard FOC
was designed with the Space Marine company structure in mind, and GW has
been toying around with new ways to building fluffy armies. Looking back
the Archangel Strikeforce from Shield of Ball, this can can be seen as a
prototype for a decurion detachment.

IG will be getting their own decurion in a dataslate some time in the
future, and the Necron force from IA12 will be getting one as well. Expect
2-6 warriors, 1-6 flayed ones, and 1-3 charnel scarabs, but this is just
speculation.

Expect more decuron formations to pop up in expansions and future codex
updates, but don't think FOC charts are going away. Decurion formations
will become the new "fluffy" lists; options that more closely adhere to the
quirks and idiosyncrasies of specific Warlords or factions.

Regards,
TKoS

*he may have just pulled this out of his rear end.

I cannot wait for the wailing and gnashing of teeth when Space Marines lose bike troops. It will be glorious.

My problem really with the Ork Codex, it just doesn't do anything really well. It just does everything okay. People claiming it has the best AA that poo poo's competing for seriously good units in the Heavy Support slot. Another rule that hurt Orks, most of their transports are open top so congrats you get to blow up the transport and kill up to 6 guys who then have to take a test, if they fail they lose more guys.

If Mob Rule didn't exist and it was instead just fearless it would be a good army.

Like before, they had like probably the most resilient bikers in the game, multiple ways to field tons of Walkers, KFF that was actually well useful. I mean at least before they had Wazdakka, he doesn't even exist. That'd be like them printing the Space Marine codex and not including Khan or Tigurius.

Sure Dark Eldar bitched but I honestly like playing my small contingent I got, it's fun doesn't play like my other armies and is different enough to be entertaining to play.

Also is this a terrible Idea

Helions are supercheap on Ebay right now, I love the models. I was thinking though of cutting all their heads off and replacing their heads from these models.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Dark-Elves-Sisters-of-Slaughter

Then paint them all green and call them Green Goblins. The thing is I can use the Sisters of Slaughter as Wyches just do head swaps.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 22, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Speaking of Orks, how is the grot tank/mekboy list from forgeworld? I forget what book it's in, but it looked really fun to play.

Couldn't you just 'go unbound' and take all those formations anyway and get all the benefits?

Not quite, because the decurion gets you a few small extras, like re-rolling reanimations rolls of 1 within 12" of the warlord.
But to be fair yes, seems like typically you'd be best served by an unbound force. Unless Tomb Blades are loving amazing now, since otherwise you're just stuck with some weird mishmash of units.

I'm cautiously waiting to see how things pan out before I decide to commit to my canoptek army.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Slimnoid posted:

It's on the download section of Forgeworld, if that's the one you're thinking of. It's got grottanks in it at least.

Also hilariously the only way to do an all-biker list for Orks without going unbound.

That's the one! It looks really fun since, instead of boyz, you can take tons of ork vehicles.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Can we ask for army list advice in this thread, or is that verboten?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Darren MacLennan posted:

Go for it.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darren MacLennan posted:

yeah, just ignore responses from Hollismason and Abusepuppy

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Cataphract posted:

yeah, just ignore responses from Hollismason because he's a crazy hobo, and listen to Abusepuppy if you're a tournament kind of person.

:colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait is Abusepuppy the same Abusepuppy on Frontlines team.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cataphract posted:

yeah, just ignore responses from Hollismason and Abusepuppy

At least Abusepuppy isn't a huge dick like Nephilm or Corrode always were.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Sorry I upset all you guys sensibilities with being enthusiastic and not bitching and moaning about every little change in the game. I truly apologize I'm serious, if I had known it would have made so many people butthurt I would have kept my comments to the Fabgoon thread.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Sorry I upset all you guys sensibilities with being enthusiastic and not bitching and moaning about every little change in the game. I truly apologize I'm serious, if I had known it would have made so many people butthurt I would have kept my comments to the Fabgoon thread.
:allears:

There's a difference between being enthusiastic, and being that kid in the store who will hassle random strangers about how strong his army is, or how sick a combo he has thought up.

You're like that kid, man.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hollismason posted:

Sure Dark Eldar bitched but I honestly like playing my small contingent I got, it's fun doesn't play like my other armies and is different enough to be entertaining to play.

it's funny because you think Orks are garbage because of their open-topped transports and morale issues, but Dark Eldar are apparently awesome because of their... open-topped transports and morale issues?

Hollismason posted:

Wait is Abusepuppy the same Abusepuppy on Frontlines team.

Yes, I am that guy. I'm really just on the team for amusement purposes, though, most of those guys live a pretty far drive away from me.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

AbusePuppy posted:

it's funny because you think Orks are garbage because of their open-topped transports and morale issues, but Dark Eldar are apparently awesome because of their... open-topped transports and morale issues?

It sucks that DE transports explode easily but I do like the ability to shoot from any part of the hull. I also feel that having fearless by turn 5 counters most moral issuses.

Orks on the other hand don't have fearless, or FNP to soak up transport explosions and lost the mob rule which made them basically fearless.

Btw, when should we have a good idea of what the necrons are going to be like?

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 23, 2015

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Darren MacLennan posted:

how far this thread has fallen. someone actually had to ask if it's ok to get list advice itt. shameful.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Yeah so basically when AbusePuppy says something about Forge World being poo poo or unfun or something, feel free to just ignore him wholesale.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Can anyone recommend me a manufacturer that makes ink washes for models in large quantaties? I want to do a blue wash over a whole bunch of Tyranid models and don't want to buy ten pots of GW or whoevers 3.5 mL pot of ink.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Phyresis posted:

how far this thread has fallen. someone actually had to ask if it's ok to get list advice itt. shameful.

I always feel sad when other sites refuse to list point costs, like that's somehow the final straw that will bring GWs wrath down upon them. Makes it super-annoying if you actually want to cost a list out and don't have your codices handy.

Totally post lists, points and all.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
A plasma gun costs 7.5 skavenslaves.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

Totally post lists, points and all.

Ok then, whats the cheapest troops unit + plus transport that has both decent anti tank and fire power?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

AbusePuppy posted:

Yes, I am that guy. I'm really just on the team for amusement purposes, though, most of those guys live a pretty far drive away from me.

Dark Eldar Transports also benefit from an improved Jink Save. Most of the troops have or can get access to fearless, either through Coven formation Haemonoculi, or by improving the turn modifier. They also get fearless at the exact moment you really need those last few guys to stay on a objective and not run the gently caress away.

Orks instead get guys who stand on a objective in the last turn , get shot at, then they all die because they beat the poo poo out of each other.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 23, 2015

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Star Man posted:

Can anyone recommend me a manufacturer that makes ink washes for models in large quantaties? I want to do a blue wash over a whole bunch of Tyranid models and don't want to buy ten pots of GW or whoevers 3.5 mL pot of ink.

You can always take a shot at making your own. It's pretty cost-effective in the long run, and you can make as much as you like.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just realised that I have capabilities to field the Dark Artisan formation with my DE. Fielding allied formations is just as simple as bringing the formation as an ally?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Ok then, whats the cheapest troops unit + plus transport that has both decent anti tank and fire power?

It depends a lot on what the rest of your army is doing and which army you want to include. Farsight Enclaves can take Crisis with Missile Pods, which shoot pretty hard; Marines of pretty much every variety can take guys with Meltaguns in a Drop Pod, which work fairly well; Necrons can (for the moment at least) take a Harbinger of Storm in a Night Scythe; Eldar can take any given unit in a Wave Serpent; etc, etc.

Leo Showers posted:

Yeah so basically when AbusePuppy says something about Forge World being poo poo or unfun or something, feel free to just ignore him wholesale.

It's not my fault Forge World barely even understands what the rules of game are. Go read the XV109 Yvahra's rules sometime if you want a taste of that, or the bits about Panic tests in 40K or any of their other ludicrous oversights. They make real pretty models, their rules are just written completely scattershot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I just realised that I have capabilities to field the Dark Artisan formation with my DE. Fielding allied formations is just as simple as bringing the formation as an ally?

Yes. It's a expensive set up but this is pretty balls out crazy awesome.

Haemonoculus, Webway Portal, Vexxator Mask, Nightmare Doll, Sydriqs , Fleshgauntlet, Perverted Panacea
Talos
Cronos w/ Spirit Probe

Haemonoculus w/ - 5 initiative mask, Nightmare doll with the Spirit Probe gives him a 3+ FNP, Perverted Panacea gives him a 4+ It will not die roll, and Sydriq's gives him the choice of Rage, Fleet etc.. Flesh gauntlet because you already have two Models in the unit that have AP2.

He's T7 3+ Armour and 3+ FNP versus shooting attacks, and in combats that are rolling straight up against the unit with just general attacks.

I am away from my book but I believe the whole formation clocks in at 435.

Also, someone is going to chime in that you can't take multiple items from the Coven's list which isn't true. It doesn't have the restriction of one per model.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

AbusePuppy posted:

Have you played at the store or been on any of their batreps? I occasionally pop by to pick stuff up and every so often get a rare game in so we may have met before. Ill be coming less often due to college but all the 40k goons Ive met in person so far have been pretty chill.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

I stopped in at the store when I was down there for the Bay Area Open, but I actually live up in Oregon so it's not like it's a regular thing for me. I haven't been on any of their batreps yet, though.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Star Man posted:

I'm not sure of what the price point is (though I assume it's automatically better than GW), but Secret Weapon makes some good washes.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

AbusePuppy posted:

I stopped in at the store when I was down there for the Bay Area Open, but I actually live up in Oregon so it's not like it's a regular thing for me. I haven't been on any of their batreps yet, though.

Are you in the Portland area by chance?

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Well, this is an experimental army that I'm thinking of running tomorrow, and it's...not good.

1850 Pts - Codex: Dark Eldar Roster

7 Kabalite Warriors, 71 pts = 7 * 8 (base cost 8) + Blaster x1 15
1 Raider, 75 pts = (base cost 55) + Dark Lance x1 5 + Splinter Racks 15

1 Archon, 170 pts = (base cost 60 + Huskblade 25 + Blaster 15 + Haywire Grenades 5 + Soul-trap 10) + Shadow Field 40 + The Armour of Misery 15
4 Sslyth, 100 pts = 4 * 25
1 Venom, 65 pts = (base cost 55) + Splinter Cannon 10

5 Incubi, 100 pts = 5 * 20

9 Reavers, 174 pts = 9 * 16 (base cost 16) + Blaster x3 30

1 Ravager, 125 pts = (base cost 110) + Dark Lance x3 15

It's got a nice mixture of anti-tank and anti-infantry, but I'm sure that there's a dozen traps that I'm either falling into or missing the opportunity to take advantage of - for instance, the Archon is tooled up with points that I had left over with nothing specified for.

Any suggestions?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Pendent posted:

Are you in the Portland area by chance?

I'm not him but I live in Vancouver and am always down to meet more players. Hixson, koreban and I play regularly with a couple other guys and Bulbasaur comes up 3-4 times a year to play too.

Oh poo poo and you're new? drat kid, :getin:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

Slimnoid posted:

You can always take a shot at making your own. It's pretty cost-effective in the long run, and you can make as much as you like.

Basically what Slimnoid said. I make my own washes all the time. It's really cost effective and the materials will last you for many different projects. Swing by the painting thread- there are other goons besides me that make their own and would probably love to share details.

panascope posted:

I'm not him but I live in Vancouver and am always down to meet more players.

Oh poo poo and you're new? drat kid, :getin:

Hams for the ham gods

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

LordAba posted:

I'm not sure of what the price point is (though I assume it's automatically better than GW), but Secret Weapon makes some good washes.

Fun fact- the secret weapon washes are the same washes as the Les Bursley recipe.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Darren MacLennan posted:

Well, this is an experimental army that I'm thinking of running tomorrow, and it's...not good.

1 Archon, 170 pts = (base cost 60 + Huskblade 25 + Blaster 15 + Haywire Grenades 5 + Soul-trap 10) + Shadow Field 40 + The Armour of Misery 15

It's got a nice mixture of anti-tank and anti-infantry, but I'm sure that there's a dozen traps that I'm either falling into or missing the opportunity to take advantage of - for instance, the Archon is tooled up with points that I had left over with nothing specified for.

Any suggestions?

See if you can find the points to take Caltrops on your Reavers you will not be disappointed. Also, we don't know what else models you have so we don't know what to suggest.

Without making to many changes to anything you could break up your Reavers of 9 into 6 squads of 3 and go with MSU or break them up into 3 squads of 6.

Post what else you have and I'm sure people will have suggestions.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 23, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

Fun fact- the secret weapon washes are the same washes as the Les Bursley recipe.

Whenever I see the name Les Bursley I automatically read is as "Less Burly" and I want to make a stupid pun.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

There's not. You have to drill your own base or something, I still haven't done it because I'm still tossing up the best way to mount them, and for some reason no-one else on the internet divulges how they mount their Thunderbolts, as if it's some big loving e-secret or something.

This, but with Thunderhawks.
I still have no clue how to base it in a reasonable way that's not only sturdy enough to hold the drat thing safely, but be small enough that it doesn't interfere with other models/terrain too much.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
At least he's not as onoxious as the next level painting guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d_6ztEl2Ms

Dude has such a massive ego- his face takes up 1/6th of the screen while his camera is so far zoomed out all you can see are his tattoos and non of the detail hes actually working on.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Would this help?

http://www.dragonforge.com/Painting%20service/for%20sale/sculpting_supplies.htm

It's a 3rd party stand, looks like you can just attach it will glue to the bottom of the flier.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Darren MacLennan posted:

Any suggestions?

Now this is just my view on what I would do with that list, so take it as you will.

Archon: he is tooled up alright but those points can and should be spent else where. Asides from this I would drop the blaster unless you want him directly tank hunting, the armour of misery is not needed if you have a shadow field (hes paste if it fails anyway so whats the point). Also you should bring a WWP with him, as deep striking that unit of Sslyth will cause your opponant to think twice.

Asides from that I would give the reavers caltrops (great anti invisibility unit then). Also I would give them heat lances over blasters, you have the speed to get into melta range very quickly which makes them great for tank hunting.

Im not sold on the incubi but that is more personal choice than anything. Still 2 units of blaster born or splintercannon born might fair better here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Incubi are surprisingly good when paired with a Haemonoculi from the Coven Detachment, which honestly is pretty easy to get into your army and still get good units. Can't complain about a Fearless unit that starts off with FNP, then get's Furious Charge 1 turn early. No grenades though :(

Also, agree with heatlance > blaster.

I'd suggest stuff but no one knows what else you have.

• Locked thread