Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I never played female Robin because that would mean giving up female Morgan and that was not a trade I was willing to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Let's call male robin Bob to avoid further confusion

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Just make two saves right before the path split that way you don't have to play anything twice.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Female Robin was just as boring as male Robin beyond the novelty of becoming a destroyer of worlds. Also I guess the traditional anime scene where Chrom walks in on her getting changed. As an aside I prefer MU not being important. if I wanted to play a self insert snowflake wank game there are others. I'm here for fire emblem, not to have everyone lusting over my large throbbing tactical mind and genius. I prefer no MU at all.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Do you have to play the little girl with an eyepatch in Awakening because I'm not really seeing any other options

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're not looking very hard then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

Female Robin was just as boring as male Robin

Look, if we're outright lying to get our points across then don't post at all

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Onmi posted:

Female Robin was just as boring as male Robin beyond the novelty of becoming a destroyer of worlds. Also I guess the traditional anime scene where Chrom walks in on her getting changed. As an aside I prefer MU not being important. if I wanted to play a self insert snowflake wank game there are others. I'm here for fire emblem, not to have everyone lusting over my large throbbing tactical mind and genius. I prefer no MU at all.

I, too, am an incredibly boring person.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

steakmancer posted:

Do you have to play the little girl with an eyepatch in Awakening because I'm not really seeing any other options

Yea you have to

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'd prefer if the MU was just a full character I got to customize, really. Awakening more or less did this, but the few times they tried to pretend it was supposed to be the player, it fell flat.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Female Robin is better in the supports that differ from male Robin's, but the majority of supports, especially ones you have access to early, are the same. I believe the ones that are different are Chrom, Lon'qu, Tiki, and all children. Maybe Anna and Say'ri too? I can't remember for them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

1st generation (people up to Cherche) are mostly the same except for Chrom and Lon'Qu (Female Robin attempts to chase and hug Lon'Qu to get over his fears).

Everyone else after Cherche is a completely different support chain aside from child conversations, including the spotpass characters.

So it's not really the majority, it's half at best, depending on counting the S-Supports which of course are different.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

I'd prefer if the MU was just a full character I got to customize, really. Awakening more or less did this, but the few times they tried to pretend it was supposed to be the player, it fell flat.

Did anyone honestly feel like MU represented themselves in Awakening? I mean I know that's the whole point but they were just another unit to me. A unit that you could give really stupid hair.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tae posted:

Look, if we're outright lying to get our points across then don't post at all

I'm not. I honestly found her no more interesting. Then again I dislike the Avatar concept as a whole so maybe I approached it from the entirely wrong position. In general I have a hard time placing a 'favourite' unit in Awakening period, I can't really say any of them stand out to me except Gregor and whoever decided he needed to be localized that way was a saint, Henry, because the dude may have one gimmick but it's a funny gimmick (And I know they changed some of his lines to change his attitude from being a coverup to just legit getting kicks out of it, but it works) Cordelia every time she's not talking about Chrom, and the one time she supported with Fredrick and was mentioned to have stolen/eaten all the pies. Sully because I have an appreciation for no nonsense asskickers, and Maribelle, because her dedication to Justice gets my Paladin-Love rumbling. But even then none of them are such amazing stand outs to me that it's like "Yes, you are on my team forever" bypassing all common sense and reasoning.

I'm obviously not counting the children here.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The avatar system in Awakening is more of its own person than your standard MU, in Fire Emblem 12 or even games like Bioware RPGs. For intents and purposes, Robin is its own person right down to having two distinct personality traits for each gender. You just get to choose what they look like.

And you missed out on some awesome conversations if you can't remember Miriel trying to start a super church featuring Libra.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I didnt really use thw children much so maybe that's why Awakening felt so lackluster. Well that and the lovely maps.

Man FE7 on my WiiU is nice.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tae posted:

The avatar system in Awakening is more of its own person than your standard MU, in Fire Emblem 12 or even games like Bioware RPGs. For intents and purposes, Robin is its own person right down to having two distinct personality traits for each gender. You just get to choose what they look like.

And you missed out on some awesome conversations if you can't remember Miriel trying to start a super church featuring Libra.

I hardly used Miriel, I got a few of her supports as her actively trying to figure out how Kellam can turn invisible and got a chuckle. But magic users never had a strong presence on my team in either run. Even Henry saw more use as a Berserker, and I know that's dumb because Dark Magic is the most broken thing in the game. Then again I used Fredrick almost till the end of the game because he was a good partner bonus.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tae posted:

This, I feel, is the biggest problem with Awakening. The support/pair up system highly encourages you to pick a unit, pick a unit that has a good kid with them or otherwise complements them well, and keep them paired up for 95% of the game. This means you rarely get non-pair supports, which misses a lot of the interesting conversations and such. It's kind of a shame.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also the S Supports are all kinda really bland and boring. And I know they're just for marriage confessions but... is there a marriage confession in this game that isn't bad?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That's a far bigger problem in other fire emblem games that literally limits you to 5 support conversations per playthrough (1 A's, 2 B's, etc). There's also the convenience that S-supports only lock in if you actually select it, letting you see as many in a playthrough after a short reset.

Onmi posted:

Also the S Supports are all kinda really bland and boring. And I know they're just for marriage confessions but... is there a marriage confession in this game that isn't bad?

I'm confused on this, because you just admitted you don't do a lot of the support conversations. Did you just look it up?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

This, I feel, is the biggest problem with Awakening. The support/pair up system highly encourages you to pick a unit, pick a unit that has a good kid with them or otherwise complements them well, and keep them paired up for 95% of the game. This means you rarely get non-pair supports, which misses a lot of the interesting conversations and such. It's kind of a shame.

still beats the hell out of limited supports.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The best balance I feel is to have unlimited supports but not make it so every character can support with every other character. Because that means there'll be less completely meaningless supports and the ones they do have can be more legitimately interesting.

Though unlimited supports in general is already kind of too good, because just having one A support can do so much to help a character.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The best balance I feel is to have unlimited supports but not make it so every character can support with every other character. Because that means there'll be less completely meaningless supports and the ones they do have can be more legitimately interesting.

so, exactly what awakening did? :confused:

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Onmi posted:

With the possible exception of Henry and Sumia's, not really.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Characters that have almost no interesting conversation trees isn't helped by reducing it. Kellan was by far the worst conversation tree just because he rarely, if ever, got out of his two traits: Invisibility and farmer. Even goddamn Lon'Qu did something completely different than Being Afraid of Women when talking to a female.

Argent Cinereus posted:

With the possible exception of Henry and Sumia's, not really.

Too much bondage for your taste?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Awakening gave most characters way too many supports leading to a lot of the support chains just being un-interesting and bland. If they lower the amount of support options each character has they can throw away a lot of the bland ones and only keep the ones that are actually good and develop the characters.

Although, Chrom had less support options and most of his sucked anyway. So maybe I just dislike a lot of the supports from awakening. :shrug:

Reducing the number doesn't magically make the writing better. Most of the characters got really good development, the problem is a few of them touch on the actual issues they have and sometimes others go in a side-plot that just happens between them. That doesn't mean the actual development doesn't exist, and what you're suggesting is possibly homogenizing the one plot support chain into multiple ones just because you don't want to read the others?

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 23, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

so, exactly what awakening did? :confused:

Awakening gave most characters way too many supports leading to a lot of the support chains just being un-interesting and bland. If they lower the amount of support options each character has they can throw away a lot of the bland ones and only keep the ones that are actually good and develop the characters.

Although, Chrom had less support options and most of his sucked anyway. So maybe I just dislike a lot of the supports from awakening. :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most of the characters had at least a couple of good supports

i liked chrom/gaius

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The only characters with no decent supports were the ones that barely had any, for example Emmeryn.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

I didnt really use thw children much so maybe that's why Awakening felt so lackluster. Well that and the lovely maps.

Man FE7 on my WiiU is nice.

well yes, skipping out on half the game usually makes it less impressive. :v:

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The best supports were from 7 in my opinion. Specifically the one where Wallace and Vaida got in a pissing contest over who was the bigger badass and the one where Kent and Fiora fell in love with each other through their mutual borningness.

Also any support with Sain. Especially where he tries to mac on Pent's wife before realizing she's the wife of one of the country's biggest murderlords.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

the one where Kent and Fiora fell in love with each other through their mutual borningness.

This one is actually pretty funny and the only good support either of them gets

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Chrom's best support is his support with Inigo. Its literally perfect and just edges out his support with Frederick for sheer insanity. :colbert:

Yes I know its a generic father/child support. But Chrom works perfectly in it.

The only character with bad supports in Awakening is Sumia who manages to even make her supports with Henry, where she does a body switch, supremely boring.

Donny and Ricken also got kinda shafted in supports since they got stuck with being the 'shucks farmboy and the 'I am not a KID!!!!!; too often. Even Kellam and Stahl get more variety.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kent and fiora support is pretty great cause they're two giant sticks in the mud but somehow they have a funny support

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Donny has shown in multiple supports that he's actually smart, and got Lissa really mad that he's much book smarter than her. Actually, most of his supports are him outsmarting or teaching party members. Kellam is bad though, unlike others with a "gimmick" he doesn't do much outside of it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Marribelle gets all the best supports because she's the best.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think Kellam being boring is redeemed by his paired endings.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tae posted:

Donny has shown in multiple supports that he's actually smart, and got Lissa really mad that he's much book smarter than her. Actually, most of his supports are him outsmarting or teaching party members. Kellam is bad though, unlike others with a "gimmick" he doesn't do much outside of it.

Yeah I rather liked Donnel's supports, the fact that he showed himself to be one of the more intelligent party members was nice, flat out devouring the information Miriel taught him and memorizing the book of Justice from Maribelle because she said it was important.

Donnel if he was much larger would be a good FE representation of Carrot Ironfounderson from Discworld. He's a very simple lad but simple is not the same thing as stupid.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

Chrom's best support is his support with Inigo. Its literally perfect and just edges out his support with Frederick for sheer insanity. :colbert:

Yes I know its a generic father/child support. But Chrom works perfectly in it.

The only character with bad supports in Awakening is Sumia who manages to even make her supports with Henry, where she does a body switch, supremely boring.

Donny and Ricken also got kinda shafted in supports since they got stuck with being the 'shucks farmboy and the 'I am not a KID!!!!!; too often. Even Kellam and Stahl get more variety.

Ricken was the guy whose gimmick I disliked the most.

As for Inigo yeah, I could've sworn that that conversation was specifically made for those two if I didn't know any better. I'm not sure of any other generic ones that fit so well. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

walhart's conversations with morgan are pretty amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gregor saved Minerva, which is cool, and is why Cherche/Gregor is the canonical matchup in that instance.