Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If they have enough episodes to fit it in, they will definitely work in Treister actually encountering literal little green men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

SlothfulCobra posted:

-What the hell was with literally any of the investors' plans
-Not convinced the investors are entirely dead either
-and I guess that goes the same with the Sovereign, too

I think it's notable that when JJ tells Rusty he's dying (and jumps into his arms), the Investors show up. JJ lets them know he's "with family now", and he and the Investors can review terms later. The Investors smile and leave.

Plus, JJ goes, "We shared the same body - we'll always be connected.".

There could be something to that, whether it's a mental connection (JJ taking over Rusty's mind a la Superior Spider-Man, hence JJ leaving Rusty a fuckton of money - because JJ will still keep it), or JJ having recreated the cloning tanks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am looking forward to the inevitable catfight between Molotov Cocktease and Amber Gold.

Also, what would be a good new codename for Molotov?

The White Russian?

The Rouge-ski?

The Matryoshka Doll?

The Kiev Chick?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 22, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Red posted:

I think it's notable that when JJ tells Rusty he's dying (and jumps into his arms), the Investors show up. JJ lets them know he's "with family now", and he and the Investors can review terms later. The Investors smile and leave.

Plus, JJ goes, "We shared the same body - we'll always be connected.".

There could be something to that, whether it's a mental connection (JJ taking over Rusty's mind a la Superior Spider-Man, hence JJ leaving Rusty a fuckton of money - because JJ will still keep it), or JJ having recreated the cloning tanks.

I really hope not, that was a really sincere and moving moment for Venture Bros and it'd be terrible if they undercut it by having JJ planning to gently caress Rusty over all along.

SlothfulCobra posted:

-Not convinced the investors are entirely dead either
-and I guess that goes the same with the Sovereign, too

This episode was all about trimming the fat that had built up around the show over the last few seasons, to go to all that length to give these characters such elaborate sendoffs only to bring them back would be really stupid

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Red posted:

This could also explain the pre-season teaser stuff suggesting that Rusty was murdering guild people?

Edit: And rather than it being for JJ to wholly gently caress over Rusty, he could just be aiming to pilot Rusty long enough to get the cloning tanks up and running so he could get a new body - not knowing that they are all gone! But this is all conjecture and fan speculation, which, though fun, is almost *always* wrong when it comes to Venture.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 22, 2015

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I really hope not, that was a really sincere and moving moment for Venture Bros and it'd be terrible if they undercut it by having JJ planning to gently caress Rusty over all along.

This episode was all about trimming the fat that had built up around the show over the last few seasons, to go to all that length to give these characters such elaborate sendoffs only to bring them back would be really stupid

General Treister had one hell of a loving send-off. His return and hulk-out didn't take away from it.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

This could also explain the pre-season teaser stuff suggesting that Rusty was murdering guild people?

Now we're cookin'.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Red posted:

General Treister had one hell of a loving send-off. His return and hulk-out didn't take away from it.

Treister's return was kinda built into his sendoff though, the Investors were very clearly bested and destroyed in a fight to the death and Sovereign had the last vestiges of his mystique removed and then was very clearly shot dead. I think it's a good move that they're slimming down the show slightly to make room for new crazy plots, I really don't get why they'd undercut their own work just to fulfill ~comicbook logic~

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Didn't the ray shield specifically get contracted to protect from asteroids? I thought that was part of the point of it, not just cosmic rays.

Earth doesn't normally have an asteroid belt in Gargantua 2's orbit - it's not even past the moon. Those asteroids were only there for the Investors' evil plan.

There also weren't many at all in the area of Gargantua 2 when we last saw it. This is basically the spaceship equivalent of "but you didn't see the body".

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Red posted:

I actually thought the smile looked forced and that JJ asking them to come back was a bit of a set-back for them. Also, I don't think Jonas would have gone through the motions of getting Billy on Gargantua-2 if he had already made a deal with the Investors to save himself.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also I'm pretty sure Syrio isn't dead, no way GRRM would let a character go just like that

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't be surprised if JJ did have some plan to come back, but I also can't see him dicking over Rusty intentionally. JJ does care for his brother and vice versa, and as said, it would undercut that really well done farewell. I'd actually like to see Doc be a bit of a success for once, JJ helping him step out of his father's shadow.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
If JJ is going to dick over Rusty it'll be by coming back from the dead and having his empire legally returned to his ownership leaving Rusty only with a rebuilt Venture compound.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I was a little disappointed that Rusty never was man enough to come out and confront JJ about the fact that not only was their father a piece of crap; but also that all the passive aggressive needling in the world wasn't going to change the fact that by the time Jonas Jr was even conscious enough to realize he would have wanted to have known Jonas Sr, Jonas Sr. was dead.

I've been waiting for that shoe to drop since Now Museum; Now you Don't! Basically in my eyes this can all be summed up with the statue of Jonas Sr. When he is focusing on the museum, JJ puts himself on Jonas Senior's shoulders, not next to Rusty Venture but rather instead of him. Now though; despite giving his life up and arguably being more of a super-scientist than Rusty will ever be, he is just a freaking plaque at the base. It is..... Less than the spot he envisioned for himself.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Cernunnos posted:

I can't wait to see what kind of deal Jonas Sr. made with the Investors in the past. 'Cause there's almost no way he didn't make a deal with them.

It was to cure the many STDs he collected over the years. The only cure for them was death. I mean they can only do so much.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I'm not convinced Vendata is really much of a "loose end." Brock tore off most of his body to make an impromptu disguise, and he was very clearly in terrible shape afterward. Later, when Dr. Mrs. the Monarch says that Councilman 1 has "entered the pr--", the one who actually shows up is Monseńor, so she's either talking about herself (if she replaced Vendata in Bot Seeks Bot), or Monseńor was promoted. Sure, the OSI thinks Vendata has been "MIA" since the scene at Don Hell's, but it's not like Brock or Shore Leave were likely to admit that they killed a member of the Council of 13 (and breaking god knows how many treaties) just so they could rescue Rusty Venture.

Of course, the whole "if you don't see 'em die, don't count 'em as dead" rule is always in play on the Venture Bros., but I have a feeling the idea here is for Vendata to be dead.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tarlibone posted:

Of course, the whole "if you don't see 'em die, don't count 'em as dead" rule is always in play on the Venture Bros., but I have a feeling the idea here is for Vendata to be dead.
It seems like they went to a lot of trouble to set up the "Monarch's parents" plot thread, unsure if they'd just kill him off so cavalierly after that. But you have a compelling argument...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Vendata returns as the mind of an evil computer.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

What was that line Watch and/or Ward said about Red Dead Redemption?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Syrio isn't dead, no way GRRM would let a character go just like that

Benjen didn't just die out there as a plot device to get the Night's Watch to march north, either. People don't just die randomly throughout all of the books.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Phylodox posted:

Treister is an absolute gem. No way are they going to let him stay dead.

I'm more worried about Fat Chance. He can't pull himself through his own bellybutton.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MrSlam posted:

I'm more worried about Fat Chance. He can't pull himself through his own bellybutton.

He's Fat Choice now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Limb and radical left came through after the core exploded which supports what someone posted earlier about most of the station still being intact.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

tarlibone posted:

I'm not convinced Vendata is really much of a "loose end." Brock tore off most of his body to make an impromptu disguise, and he was very clearly in terrible shape afterward. Later, when Dr. Mrs. the Monarch says that Councilman 1 has "entered the pr--", the one who actually shows up is Monseńor, so she's either talking about herself (if she replaced Vendata in Bot Seeks Bot), or Monseńor was promoted. Sure, the OSI thinks Vendata has been "MIA" since the scene at Don Hell's, but it's not like Brock or Shore Leave were likely to admit that they killed a member of the Council of 13 (and breaking god knows how many treaties) just so they could rescue Rusty Venture.

Was that this episode? It was kinda dense and I think I glossed over it if so.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Vendata was very much alive when we left him, he was on the floor of Don Hell's bar with amnesia after getting his clock cleaned by Brock. Presumably why he was MIA from the council.

They could go Robocop with him, since he was asking if anyone saw his wife and kid.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Finally watched the episode, so brilliant.

One bit I loved was the look on the Pirate Captain's face when JJ said a captain goes down with his ship

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Edit: And rather than it being for JJ to wholly gently caress over Rusty, he could just be aiming to pilot Rusty long enough to get the cloning tanks up and running so he could get a new body - not knowing that they are all gone! But this is all conjecture and fan speculation, which, though fun, is almost *always* wrong when it comes to Venture.

I think JJ is just plain dead. He didn't bring much to the show, he mainly served as a foil for Rusty. In the first seasons Rusty was more confident in himself and delusional about his abilities, but since then he's sort of settled into admitting he's a hack and a fraud so we don't really need JJ to contrast against. It's better this way, JJ dies a big space hero death and saves the day, finally confirming that he's the truest son of Jonas Venture. And now Rusty gets to live in his heroic father's shadow as well as his heroic tumor-brother's.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

feedmyleg posted:

Well, Killinger is kind of an investor. I am overthinking this. That's what happens when we only get a little Venture at a time.

Killinger is the classic example of a God figure treating existence like an ant farm. He watches and occasionally shakes things up to see how the 'ants' adapt and overcome, which he does seemingly for his own amusement, but also occasionally for the betterment of the 'ants.' He freely admitted to his 'brothers' that he believes all mortals are fools, but he seems to be fond of 'exceptional' fools like Dr. Mrs. The Monarch and Phantom Limb. He dislikes The Monarch, because much like Rusty, they only (rarely) succeed because of the exceptional and good-hearted people (like his kindhearted playing with Hank) around them that don't like to see them fail.

The thought of JJ selling his soul does add a new dimension to Killinger plan to make Rusty JJ's arch, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 23, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

X_Toad posted:

Doesn't the helmet imply that he still needs to breathe though? No way is that going to stay intact in that blast.

Comic Hulk did have to breathe, but he could go for hours/days without having to. It all depended on whether he was angry enough to not remember he could survive without oxygen for long periods.

Whoops - meant to make this as an addition to the above post.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Guys maybe JJ sold his soul to make Rusty happy and successful :unsmith:

It's like an evil djini. If your wish is to make your brother happy and successful, you get cancer, your space station blows up, and he inherits your success.

But probably not, JJ was a dick.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
So, Ghost Pirate Captain will probably end up hanging out with Rusty's group now, right?
Or do you think he'll try for Doctor Incorrigible?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Republicanus posted:

So, Ghost Pirate Captain will probably end up hanging out with Rusty's group now, right?

I assume with Sally

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Republicanus posted:

I think he'll be with Rusty, since he already helped out at Rusty's Day Camp.

e: or Sally, yes. I hope we get a fun episode about Incorrigible trying to course correct back to Impossible and fatherhood and becoming a domesticated decent dude.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Republicanus posted:

Might stay on as Sally's personal assistant or something.

It's a great bit of character writing that while Rusty is obsessed with early prog-rock, apparently JJ was equally obsessed with milquetoast 90s alternative soft-rock.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I think he'll be with Rusty, since he already helped out at Rusty's Day Camp.

e: or Sally, yes. I hope we get a fun episode about Incorrigible trying to course correct back to Impossible and fatherhood and becoming a domesticated decent dude.

But science!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume with Sally

But who is bringing who a loving sandwich?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

But who is bringing who a loving sandwich?

The two of them just get addicted to tranquilizers

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I like the implication that JJ owes his success to the investors. Jonas Venture's legacy is too big to inherit, and its sort of a relief to see that JJ's apparent ability to do so was due to him cheating behind the scenes. Rusty might be a gently caress up, but he hosed up an impossible task.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 24, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I like the implication that JJ owes his success to the investors. Inheriting Jonas Venture's legacy is too big to inherit, and its sort of a relief to see that JJ's apparent ability to do so was due to him cheating behind the scenes. Rusty might be a gently caress up, but he hosed up an impossible task.

Eh I figure the Investors didn't help JJ become a success(considering that mere hours after his "birth" he was able to build a fully functioning robot suit using mostly random junk lying around the compound, it's not that hard to believe that he'd be able to build himself into a success during the several months between seasons 1 & 2), instead their deal with him was to ensure that Gargantua 2 would be finished before he died, so he could leave a lasting legacy upon the world

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I watched "20 minutes to midnight" today and at the end JJ looks to space and says "life among the stars.....can you imagine that?"

Spooky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This drat show goes so long between seasons that when something doesn't makes sense I can't tell if it's just mysterious or if it's referencing something two seasons and half a decade ago that I've just forgotten about.